Stardrive - A 4X Game to be Excited About!

By on November 26, 2012 9:14:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DevildogFF

Join Date 03/2010
+7

For fans of Master of Orion 1 & 2, Distant Worlds, Stardock's own Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2, and pretty much every other decent space 4X game:  STARDRIVE

I used to be pretty active on the forums here. FE had a lot of potential - a lot of it that actually realized, too - but it kind of fell short. To me, there's something still missing from it. 

However, I found this game Stardrive - www.stardrivegame.com - and have, for the first time in some time, been inspired to get the word out about a game in development. I searched through the forums here and was saddened to see not a single mention of it, but I tell you all that it is a game to watch. 

Watch my Let's Play series on it (I suck, so please don't expect gold), but it starts to give you a good feel for how awesome the game's potential is: http://stardrivegame.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=449

It combines pretty much everything I've liked about all the above games. It could use more depth (which its developer has promised) and some other aspects fleshed out, but it's already very fun and a game I can't stop talking about.

Anyone else playing its Alpha? 

Locked Post 14 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 26, 2012 10:41:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lead your forces into battle with your own flagship that you control like an arcade shooter; command your fleets like you would in a real time strategy game with simple mouse commands

The game may or may not be great, but the above quote from the home page really means it's a much weaker comp to MoO or GC.

Personally I abhor arcade shooters, but maybe it works here, or at least can you choose not to use those modes?

November 26, 2012 11:12:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can definitely just ignore that completely, if you don't like it. Seriously. I almost NEVER use it. I think they've really put a little distance from that feature, too. You can take control, if you want, but you can play the game well without EVER using that feature. 

December 2, 2012 1:53:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Speaking of space 4X, when do you get to see GalCiv3?

December 2, 2012 2:28:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
For fans of Master of Orion 1 & 2, Distant Worlds, Stardock's own Sins of a Solar Empire and Galactic Civilizations 1 & 2, and pretty much every other decent space 4X game:  STARDRIVE

o   o   o

Anyone else playing its Alpha? 

Thanks for the Tip, DevilDogFF.  I have a Serious Hankering for a new space-based  4X  game, and this looks interesting enough, that I will attempt to keep tabs on it.

Unfortunately though -- Timing-Wise -- your Tip is kind of un-helpful.  Apparently, the program's development is now squarely in the period just past the Alpha-funding phase, and in advance of (not sure how far in advance of) the  open-access  Pre-Ordering period.  As a result, we have a tantalizing teaser; but we don't have the opportunity for newly interested parties to get involved. 

Oh well.   Maybe the  Pre-Ordering  window won't be too long in opening ...          

December 2, 2012 2:31:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, that feature of StarDrive initially turned me off too, but then I read a preview at Space Sector that not only raved about the latest alpha build, but also made it clear that this particular feature is just a sideshow to what is otherwise shaping up to be a remarkable 4X game.

I mean, Distant Worlds essentially has that feature too, but it doesn't detract from what is otherwise a brilliant 4X grand strategy game.  It seems like the StarDrive developer mentioned it in the early marketing material, but the game has since evolved well beyond that.  I think they'd do themselves a favour by toning down the references to it, and focusing on the other features.  I don't have access to the alpha, but from what I can tell it's really shaping up to be something wonderful.

December 2, 2012 2:32:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,
Oh well.   Maybe the  Pre-Ordering  window won't be too long in opening ...          

They've recently been accepted for distribution of the public beta on Steam, and are hinting that access for pre-orders is getting close.  Here's hoping...

December 16, 2012 10:15:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,
Yeah, that feature of StarDrive initially turned me off too, but then I read a preview at Space Sector that not only raved about the latest alpha build, but also made it clear that this particular feature is just a sideshow to what is otherwise shaping up to be a remarkable 4X game.

I mean, Distant Worlds essentially has that feature too, but it doesn't detract from what is otherwise a brilliant 4X grand strategy game.  It seems like the StarDrive developer mentioned it in the early marketing material, but the game has since evolved well beyond that.  I think they'd do themselves a favour by toning down the references to it, and focusing on the other features.  I don't have access to the alpha, but from what I can tell it's really shaping up to be something wonderful.

Yes, well said. And to Orion, I'm sorry that I jumped the gun with the preview. It will reach open beta in January and then you'll see for yourself. 

In the meantime, you can catch my second series of Let's Play videos (that had to be cut short due to version changes) for an idea of the quality of this game and the great direction it's headed in: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_7Nh5t4R1I

Keep an eye out in January. 

December 18, 2012 3:28:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cauldyth,

I mean, Distant Worlds essentially has that feature too, but it doesn't detract from what is otherwise a brilliant 4X grand strategy game. 

Meh...

I did not care for DW at all.  Oh well.  To each their own

February 9, 2013 7:44:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This game is only getting better. Expect it on steam soon. It will be the next big 4x, I'm sure of it...

February 10, 2013 4:55:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXWxM217XCM&feature=youtu.be

Check it out, if you haven't already. I'm really trying to get this game noticed more. It needs it!

February 22, 2013 8:30:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Few questions:

1. How does the game try to reduce micromanagement (I had an issue with this even with MoO2)?

2. How realistic the game is with colonization? With DW we got quite slow colony building and quite a lot of the planets were uninhabitable or with severe penalties due to low quality. Although I like ES, I dislike the force movement of colonists in millions - game design, that palques almost every space 4x.

3. How easily you get to colonize hazardous planets (toxic, barren, volcanic, gas giants etc)?

4. Is early game exploration rewarding and interesting?

5. I remember a reference to a trading system somewhere. How does economy and trade work? How complex is it and how central a gameplay element?

February 22, 2013 9:24:08 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Go to youtube and search for Stardrive devildogff.  It is there that all your answers will be found.

backs out of the room slowly...    

February 26, 2013 3:27:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Go to youtube and search for Stardrive devildogff.  It is there that all your answers will be found."

Watched a few. But for me the opportunity costs for watching youtube videos is gametime. Forums posting have no such cost. The game really looks amazing based on gameplay videos and I think I will buy it the minute it comes to steam beta.

Still:

1. Is late game micromanagement a problem? Planets can be automated, but how about fleet management?

2. Colonization seems to be fast

4. ... as exploration, mostly devildogFF just puts the explorers on automation. Bonus is the artefacts and fights on planets, but there seems to be no range limit to exploration?

5. Trading and economy seems pretty similar to other space 4x? Any differences?

April 18, 2013 5:50:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If anyone is interested Total Biscuit did a WTF video about this game, and a nice one at that: 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: