How to change minimum distance between cities?

By on November 18, 2012 10:55:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ragnin

Join Date 02/2006
+1

Does anyone know How to change the minimum distance between cities?  I'm playing using the larger map mod and I would like to increase the number to tiles between cities.  But I can't seem to find any option in the files to change it.  Any help would be appreciated.

Locked Post 7 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 18, 2012 11:01:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the ElementalDefs.xml file at the very bottom of the file. There are a number of min distance settings. They even have a switch for each map size.

November 18, 2012 11:55:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for pointing that out.  I have no knowledge when it comes to modding really but now I'm trying to figure out how to get a min city distance for the huge maps from the Larger maps mod found here http://forums.elementalgame.com/436540

Currently its automatically set at 5 which is much to close for a huge map.  I'd like to get up to 8 or even 7 but I'm not sure how to go about it.  I tried adding the line

<MinDistancesBetweenCities_HugeMap>8</MinDistancesBetweenCities_HugeMap>

but that didn't work.  So I need to figure out how to get the game to acknowledge the Huge maps and create a switch for it in the Defs.xml.  I just have no clue how to go about this.

November 19, 2012 12:00:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Technically that map would still be seen as Large I think. Just change the Large setting to 8 and see what happens. That is the essential learning method of modding. Also, think of ElementalDefs as the registry in a computer. Messing with the structure will seriously crash your fun. Don't add anything. Only changing values will work. It's the least moddable file in the box.

November 19, 2012 12:21:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok tried you suggestion and it didn't work but it gave me the obvious answer to at least get around it.  The game is treating the huge map like a Tiny map instead.  So I went and changed the value of the Tiny map city distance and that worked.  So I guess I'll just have to remember to switch it back for a tiny map game.  Thanks for your help.

November 19, 2012 12:25:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, ya. I forgot about the custom map bug. I believe all user maps are considered tiny for some odd reason.

November 19, 2012 8:01:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FYI, I uploaded a packaged version of Huge Maps to Nexus and included the 8 tile modification.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/436540

November 20, 2012 2:03:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh cool, I'll have to try it ok later. Thanks!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000719   Page Render Time: