The best thing about Fallen Enchantress

By on November 18, 2012 9:46:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Valentine82

Join Date 04/2006
+3

Is that it inspired me to play Shadow Magic again.

I know this makes some of you mad but Stardock needs to see the comparison brought up some more because obviously it hasn't sunken in and this isn't the opinion of just one guy on the internet, this is a recurring comparison and it's never a good one for Fallen Enchantress.

Locked Post 45 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 19, 2012 9:49:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting luketan,
Personally I feel the way about MOM he feels about AOW:SM. Nothing wrong with saying that. I will just wait for the expansions and see if the magic in elemental can be amplified to epic MOM levels.. eg more summons, globals, global spell casting that takes more than 1 turn, metamagic/countermagic duels.

I dunno, I think magic is already powerful enough as it is. Not sure if making it more powerful would be such a good idea from the balance standpoint. Personally, I'd rather see improvements to the tactical combat, which is currently not all that great.

November 19, 2012 10:17:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
I an already planning a parody of Valentine in one of my quests. Needless to say it will be quite comical. He will be a master wizard that has spent so long writing critiques of magic, he has forgotten how to use it. His primary weakness is the silence spell.

No!  He should be an undying troll, whose wails deafen all, and whose tears will drown the world. 

November 19, 2012 10:54:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The best thing about Fallen Enchantress

..is the continued development of it. 

November 20, 2012 2:01:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lantros,
The problem is until now your are not constructive.

You confuse "Not positive" with "not constructive" most of my posts actually have been constructive. But your notion of constructive is useless because it has no teeth and never gets read, whiney negative fits get read, polite docile feedback almost never does.

Quoting Lantros,
You are only negative, valentine. And this helps nothing. Tell us what you do not like and how it should be changed.

Covered that in other threads, this one is pretty obvious. "Make more like this and fix Boring"

Quoting Lantros,
And try to think "in FE box" and not "How to change the game, so it is like *insert your favorite 4x fantasy game here*" 

Yeah the thing is the comparison to Shadow Magic isn't one I started with and it's not one I liked at first but it's one I saw again and again waaay back when WoM came out so I decided to use it since so many people were making it to try and illustrate what's lacking. Aesthetic depth.

The user end aesthetic are just as important as the mechanics in a lot of games, the mechanics effect the pure strategy and form of play, but the aesthetics effect the experience of play, the feel of the game. That's why people have such strong favorites among mechanically similar factions and units in other games, it's not just pure mechanics, it's also aesthetics. You didn't pick undead in the first game that let you simply because they got +10 slashing resist, you picked undead to play undead.

And that's what I feel this game is lacking.

November 20, 2012 2:05:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
douchebag

See this is why I love you guys. It's always so personal.

Negative Nancy gets heard, Polite Pete doesn't. This game needs more zaz, the magic especially, I think more global spells with visually interesting results could make the game ten times the fun by themselves.

November 20, 2012 2:12:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You are heard loud and clear Val, as was i. And that's just it. We done said our piece, repeated.  Time to make peace and move on or at least get out the way. i seek to be helpful still, fore there are still problems i have with the game. But i fear, with good reason i think, that they will hear nothing if i fall back to my anti-social pickhead ways.. as i did dabble in at one time.. or more. If nothing else, see it as adding a bit of sugar to the medicine...

this song been in my mind for decades. It helps me in my bumbling way  

November 20, 2012 3:41:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Never heard of Shadow Magic.

November 20, 2012 4:03:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Shadow Magic is expansion to Age of Wonders.

November 20, 2012 5:11:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I say give it all time. Evolution from beta to now has been very progressive and most of the problems have been addressed. We still have some outright useless faction creation abilities and godzilla spawning near the capital. We also still have pacman with the champ stack vs armies. We even still have less than optimum starting positions (that is, the game does not do optimization of regions surrounding the player starting positions).

Despite these flaws, Fallen Enchantress is (in my opinion) a game of more flavor than civilization 4, more depth than civilization 5 and i compare this to fall from heaven.  this has a few good things Civ 4 does not - for instance, city garrisons and a decent magic system with good potential - the base of it is good enough to work with, while each elemental spell does need one damage effect, 2 buff effects and a few flavoring ones. However when i think about Orbis and Rise from Erebus and master of mana, the first thing that comes to mind is loading up a game, getting some armies, teching for equipment, then slowly expanding until i meet my neighbors. i personally see a lot of Fall from heaven in this game, and my personal rating is 4.75 out of 5, with potential to have 5 out of 5.

And this game is not exactly rocket science to mod. I have already changed the rules of character creation and reconfigured bloodlines and now i am working on spells. In other words, the sand is in the box. There is good sand, and a good box, with theme park elements that carry you through the game.If you think this game is limiting or lacks features, try to remember back when Civ3,Civ4 and Civ5 upon release. Generally it was not until expansions over a year after release that "great mods" and "loyal players" took over. Why? Most of these players were at one time like you are now, OP. They were crying a river every announcement until one day, the totality of the changes had vastly improved the condition of the game to pacify those players. Between the mod communities and receptive developers, we should count our lucky eggs on this one.

November 20, 2012 5:16:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Valentine82,

Not sure I can help here, let me try.

I pre-order WOM in 2010 because I remember a game when I was a kid that that game really giving so much fun - MOM.

and it WOM turn out to be the disaster that everyone knows.

Consider this if you are a Dev one day,

1)Stardock's responsibility - They hired additional talents and spent 2 years to make a free replacement  - I personally think that act alone is responsible enough and quite a big financial decision they make to consider, they even talk about free expansion to FE, what else we want?

2) Game personality - I personally have some level of excitement MOM that no games come close (even AOW:SM), but I realized that is my personal taste. Fyi - I have friends insist HoMM is better than all these in TBS...lol, and my nephew only play games like "angry birds" etc. I am not sure if there is one 4X Game play that suit every single player that Stardock can make? - Saying i want "XYZ" to be put into the game might be too demanding, unless I am the only customer. For this the game is made to be very easily mod-able.

3) Our Purchase Decision - I personally think everyone makes mistakes in purchase in life - who don't?, but we are the one who agree to buy. Stardock only guarantee to  make the game to the best of their ability and provide a copy to us (taking inspiration from MOM). They do not gurantee it is the fun one tailor made to me alone.

Just my opinion hope, it helps.

November 21, 2012 2:15:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Game sucks so much Valentine just wont let it go.

Get over it guys, game sucks, confirmed. If everyone agrees he might get some closure. Leave. And we can go back to pretending to like the game without this spoilsport.

November 21, 2012 2:54:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pretending to like this game? Yeah nah. Its like how everyone told me i'm suppose to hate Dragon Age 2... and Diablo 3. In fact I havnt heard of an "acceptable" good game in a long time.

November 21, 2012 4:28:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MysticMJ,
Its like how everyone told me i'm suppose to hate Dragon Age 2... and Diablo 3.

Sure you can like them and enjoy them, but you can't deny that they have some glaring flaws and that's why so many gamers either hate them, find them disappointing, or gave them a hard time.

I mean, DA2 reused the same dungeons like a dozen times, that's the thing that most glaringly stood out in my head, other people hated how the combat was dumbed down, how Plate Armored Templars dropped out of the sky like Ninjas after you had cleared the first wave, how much more linear the game was compared to DA:O, ect.

People had a lot of legitimate and valid points there. Sure you can love it in spite of those flaws, but you can't deny that they're there, and you shouldn't expect those flaws to be overlooked by everyone and a 9 out of 10 to be given by any honest reviewer in spite of them. Some did, and that's the point where liking something crosses into being delusional about it.

November 21, 2012 8:28:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MysticMJ,
Pretending to like this game? Yeah nah.

Great, now he knows it is a trick.

Diablo 3 sucks.

I still play it regularly.

November 21, 2012 8:59:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Valentine82,

Yeah the thing is the comparison to Shadow Magic isn't one I started with and it's not one I liked at first but it's one I saw again and again waaay back when WoM came out so I decided to use it since so many people were making it to try and illustrate what's lacking. Aesthetic depth.

The user end aesthetic are just as important as the mechanics in a lot of games, the mechanics effect the pure strategy and form of play, but the aesthetics effect the experience of play, the feel of the game. That's why people have such strong favorites among mechanically similar factions and units in other games, it's not just pure mechanics, it's also aesthetics. You didn't pick undead in the first game that let you simply because they got +10 slashing resist, you picked undead to play undead.

And that's what I feel this game is lacking.

This is something that I agree with completely. FE Races need a stronger flavor in terms of their looks and their lore. Out of all races I believe that only the Quendar are done really well. The Amarians and the Men are done okay. The rest are kinda blah and could use a facelift. 

November 21, 2012 9:36:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For someone who's off playing another game, you're spending an awful lot of time on the FE forums. I wonder why that is... to make Stardock "get it" ...? I think you need to take a little break and think things over. No amount of crying is going to make them change their entire game, they've built an entire universe on it (whether you like it or not). Especially not when it's been released, if you honestly expect otherwise, you're just delusional. What you're looking for is... another game. If you like AoWSM so much, then go play that and save yourself the trouble.

November 21, 2012 11:17:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm almost at the point where I'll offer Val the $40 cost of the game so he can move on. 

Seriously, its not good for your health to be so negative. Here is the all time pc games metacritic page that FE is on, it sits with some pretty good games (OT League of Legends scored 78?!?!?, the reviewers got that so wrong).

Buy a puppy, take it to the beach and leave the forums for a bit. If you can't get away from online living then find a forum about something you do like and spend time there. Come back with a fresh head and the games development may have moved it towards something you can find some appreciation for.

November 23, 2012 11:40:08 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting MichaelCook,
I'm almost at the point where I'll offer Val the $40 cost of the game so he can move on.

If you mean that, I'd love to be reimbursed.

Quoting MichaelCook,
Seriously, its not good for your health to be so negative.

Maybe not, but it's not good for the world if everyone is positive. We need negative jaded people to set the bar otherwise it will plummet into the depths of the ocean.

Quoting MichaelCook,
Here is the all time pc games metacritic page that FE is on, it sits with some pretty good games (OT League of Legends scored 78?!?!?, the reviewers got that so wrong).

There's also a thread about bumping up the score with overly positive reviews though. Kind of like when Paradox solicited fans to bump up Sengoku, a game I personally loved but got really bad scores for a really good reason (in this case, because like in most of Paradox's GSG's, anyone who didn't already know how to play had to spend hours learning how to do even the most basic tasks)

November 23, 2012 12:05:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Valentine82,
There's also a thread about bumping up the score with overly positive reviews though.

That's a lie. There's a thread where people are asked to give their honest opinion. Show me one post that says anything like what you described.

November 23, 2012 2:38:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Valentine82,
There's also a thread about bumping up the score with overly positive reviews though. Kind of like when Paradox solicited fans to bump up Sengoku, a game I personally loved but got really bad scores for a really good reason (in this case, because like in most of Paradox's GSG's, anyone who didn't already know how to play had to spend hours learning how to do even the most basic tasks)

Val - you're full of crap and sick of hearing your disingenous bs. Below's the thread. You have an axe to grind with SD and anyone who likes this game. Get the hell out of here. I saw that thread where you told a visitor to the forums to not buy the game. You crossed the line there by not allowing someone to make up their own mind. I bit my tongue. Get the hell out of here, troll.

The thread Val references and spouts his disingenous bs: http://forums.elementalgame.com/436094

Val in action where he decides to throw in his 2 cents to a revisiting customer (instead of just telling them where to download and let them make up their own mind): http://forums.elementalgame.com/436333

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: