[eMOD] Snaking...v1.3

By on November 17, 2012 2:43:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

parrottmath

Join Date 03/2008
+206

For those that want to build those logging camps and piers anytime your city reaches those precious forests and rivers. Here is a mod for you.

When I first settled that city... notice no logging camps or pier.

Notice now I have the option to build the logging camp and pier because I snaked my city to the forest and river.

Just extract this file into your

\documents\my games\fallenenchantress\mods\

folder (enable mods and you should be good to go)

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/75549875/Fallen%20Enchantress/Snaking/Snakingv13.zip

(This file also uses FEMM)

Pinned, Locked Post 48 Replies +6
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 17, 2012 3:07:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well done!

Care to explain the logic of the XML? You allowed Category:Land but then blocked almost all terrains?

November 17, 2012 3:13:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, I guessed.

Namely I toggled on the category:land category and determined that I could build the logging camp anywhere on land including the forest. So from there I eliminated the locations where I didn't want to see that logging camp being built. Hence the reason for all the barred terrain.

November 17, 2012 7:32:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

sweet, you've just made a ton of people happy

November 17, 2012 9:32:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great job! Thanks!

November 17, 2012 11:22:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome job parrottmath!

November 17, 2012 3:03:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

parrottmath!!! Thank you very much!

Two questions:

First, does this mean that players have the option to build piers and lumber mills on any tile?? Or just the river and forest tiles those building types are meant to be built on?

Second, do you know how the AI responds to this mod? Do they take advantage of it if they randomly snake out to a river or forest?

Thanks again!

November 17, 2012 3:22:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can only build them on the river and forest tiles that they are meant to be built on. If you build them anywhere let me know so I can fix that problem.

I have not programmed anything for the AI. But, if the AI city so happens to move to these locations, then I don't see any reason why the AI won't build these buildings, as they are available. But I haven't done extensive testing of the mod, I was just excited to get snaking working.

November 17, 2012 3:47:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Can't seem to access the download for this, can't wait to try it out!

November 17, 2012 3:58:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
November 17, 2012 4:05:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

K. I'm working towards testing this in my current game. I'll let you know if I come accross anything fishy.

November 17, 2012 9:49:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome! I got to the part of adding category:land but never thought to add barred tiles. Pretty much gave up, nice find

November 18, 2012 4:56:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

excellent job, just wondering if there is any way you can allow snaking across rivers using the piers?

November 18, 2012 5:49:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just tried it , yes it is. However the pier has a size of 1x1 so you need at least one more building that can be placed on a river to build anything on the other side

November 18, 2012 7:58:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I suppose that one could add another building that acts like a pier (can be built along the river) and that should allow you to build on the other side. From what I've been told (haven't tried it), you can delete the pier and build along the other side of the river. Thus, giving you the ability to snake across rivers. Maybe I'll add a building called river trader that gives a gildar bonus and can only be built on a river. But that would unbalance a lot of things, and I would have to get the AI to start using these things otherwise they will be at a servere disadvantage. 

Because at some point stomping on the AI just doesn't become fun anymore. I hear that they give mean e-mails about me to Frogboy

November 19, 2012 4:41:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

would simply increasing the pier/dock/harbour to 2x2 work then, presumably the AI would happily snake from that, although it may need a rework on the graphic?

November 21, 2012 4:35:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love your work. 

November 21, 2012 9:19:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for sharing this!  

November 21, 2012 2:12:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am e-humping your leg right now.

November 23, 2012 1:19:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated to version 1.1. There is no functionality change, I just noticed an error in the xml (wasn't causing problems with the game, but it's best if we ensure that there are no errors in the file.)

December 4, 2012 5:54:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Loaded this with FEMM, no joy.  Tried a dozen new games and placed new settlement one tile from treeline, and never once had new buildings push the city boundry towards the trees anf activate logging camp.  Is this mod leader/faction specific?

December 4, 2012 11:17:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you use the mod manager you need to ensure that mods are enabled. I just tested it out again and I can build the pier and logging camps when I reach them.

December 4, 2012 11:17:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DigitalAbacus,
Is this mod leader/faction specific?

This is not leader or faction specific. It only changes the terrain type of the buildings pier and logging camp.

December 4, 2012 5:49:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
If you use the mod manager you need to ensure that mods are enabled. I just tested it out again and I can build the pier and logging camps when I reach them.

The version is the one for FEMM (Snakingv11c.zip), and it is checked in the launcher.

FE and FEMM are the current versions   (i.e., v1.02 on both).

FEMM has placed SnakingMod.xml in the folder C:\...\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Mods\Snaking

Mods are enabled in game, and I restarted the game between attempts.  I have OS Admin rights. 

I attempted custom maps as well as official maps. 

I've tried starting positions that had river and forest one tile away, as well as ones that had just forest one tile away.

I have not attempted any previous mods, and have no others that I'm attempting to use.

I've hit every one of the launcher's needlessly repetitive buttons (i.e., "Install", "Install and Play", and "Play") with the mod checked, and have yet to see it function as depicted at the head of this post. 

Did I miss anything that might cause the mod not to function?  I would like to resolve this, as I plan to use mods in the future to make this game more akin to Master of Magic than it's current incarnation... at least until Company of Heroes 2 releases and I side-burner FE for a month or two.

December 4, 2012 5:55:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DigitalAbacus, I am not sure you are using the mod correctly.  Are you doing the following:

0. The mod is enabled, and auto-placement of buildings is turned off.

1. You settle a city that does not touch a forest/river even with a corner.

2. You construct new buildings, placing them as near to the forest/river as you can, until your city touches the forest/river.

3. With a finished building next to the forest/river, you open the build menu.

If you are doing all of the above, and do not see the camp/pier, please confirm.

December 4, 2012 6:27:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DigitalAbacus,
The version is the one for FEMM (Snakingv11c.zip), and it is checked in the launcher.

That is the correct version that I have up right now.

Quoting DigitalAbacus,
FEMM has placed SnakingMod.xml in the folder C:\...\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Mods\Snaking

Confirmed that the SnakingMod.xml file is in the right location.

Quoting DigitalAbacus,
Mods are enabled in game, and I restarted the game between attempts. I have OS Admin rights.

This is exactly what needs to happen.

Quoting DigitalAbacus,
I've tried starting positions that had river and forest one tile away, as well as ones that had just forest one tile away.

For snaking to actually occur you need to have a completed construction building next to the forest tile... either vertically or horizontally. See pics

This first pic shows you that although I'm next to the forest and river I cannot build a logging camp or pier because I do not have a completed building to build next to... The next pic is the after pic.

This shows that the buildings are now complete and I can build the logging camp and pier.

If you have cheats enabled you can press ctrl+b to finish building in a city instantly to see if the mechanic is working.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001000   Page Render Time: