no user created stamps and quests?

By on November 16, 2012 1:45:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nibelung44

Join Date 04/2011
+1

Hi,

I'm surprised that no one is doing a 'mod' consisting of a library of vanilla-compatible quests and stamps... ? This is of no interest to anyone? I would have thought that by this time, weeks after the release of the game, we would enhance the base game with dozen of user-created new stamps and quests, all compatible with the base game...

I don't have the skills nor the time to do so, before you say why I don't do it myself. But I know some here are very into adding content, as shown by the existence of several major mods (Stormlords, Master Afflication, etc.). So, no candidate for this collection of quests and stamps?

Last, I know there are 6 example quests done with the quest wizard. That's good...But why no one has posted what is has created with the said utility? Or is it that no one is using the utility?

Locked Post 18 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 16, 2012 2:44:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The reason seems obvious - noone has done it. As for the editor, I use it for stormworld.

November 16, 2012 2:56:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if some of the Stormworld stuff (and potentiall other people's stuff as well) could be vanilla in addition to its main purpose? I know there's usually demand in games for small enhancement mods that don't substantially change the flavor of a game the way Stormworld does.

November 16, 2012 3:00:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The quests were specifically done to enhance the SW lore. The stamps were used for the rivermod. So they would be of no use outside SW.

November 16, 2012 5:02:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm working on adding a few items that I feel are expanding the player's gameplay choices during the early to mid game. As of now I haven't released it since I need to test it for consistency.

Anyway, I totally agree with your point that these little additions should exist and I really wonder why no "little mod" modding community has evolved yet. The game is totally awesome and those things are so easy to do right now.

November 16, 2012 7:34:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I see the biggest  problem in publishing the little mods sofar no one wants to go to the trouble of downloading copy and paste and all for a goodie hut he might never see, if we ever get an in game mod bazaar like civ v or warcraft 3 they will spring up everywhere the only reason i even see for warcraft being so popular and successful is because it was a modders paradise which eased newbies ( like me) into it with flashy and colorful buttons. If you have the mindset to scroll through the wall of xml just to identify non documented code-snippets chances are you sights are set higher then casual mods. However I agree that they are essential to the survival of this game and I would be all for some coding guidelines to create a fallen enchantress chocolate mod that just compliments the vanilla game in the right way.

For that we would need a true core where nothing gets changed and naming and coding conventions so we stay interoperable given a few more days to scroll through text I think I would like to have that discussion in a sticky thread that can then spiral out into the wiki

November 16, 2012 8:54:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It takes time to get the ball rolling, I think, especially on quest stuff.  You have to think about the opening and then the back-story, and then what  happens during the quest and what you get out of it, oh yeah, and maybe I should create tiles to go with it, etc, etc.

Give it time, folks will do it .  Heck I'll do it eventually , as soon as I have more time to sit down and be creative.

November 16, 2012 10:54:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is something I had wanted to do, create new tiles for stamps and new quests using the Quest Creator/Quest Wizard, but the documentation for creating such things and getting them added to the vanilla game is practically non-existant.  I wanted to create some really silly type of quests for my own enjoyment, but until someone puts out a good tutorial or video, I'm stuck waiting.

November 16, 2012 1:50:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was interested in making my own quests until I hit a road block.

I was unable to even edit the name of an existing vanilla quest (Black Gate -> Black Gate Edit) successfully. I'm able to mod items/weapons/units/etc... with ease, but for some reason the game wouldn't recognize any changes I attempted to implement to that existing quest line. My goal was initially to give Waerloga dragon minions. When that failed I tried to make the most basic of changes.

So, when that failed I had to throw up my hands and deep six any ideas I had of making new ones.

November 16, 2012 2:45:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Use the Quest Wizard if you want to create new quests. It seems to be really powerful.

November 16, 2012 2:46:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rhettrongun,
I was interested in making my own quests until I hit a road block.

I was unable to even edit the name of an existing vanilla quest (Black Gate -> Black Gate Edit) successfully. I'm able to mod items/weapons/units/etc... with ease, but for some reason the game wouldn't recognize any changes I attempted to implement to that existing quest line. My goal was initially to give Waerloga dragon minions. When that failed I tried to make the most basic of changes.

So, when that failed I had to throw up my hands and deep six any ideas I had of making new ones.

Recommend checking out the quest wizard if not already done so: http://forums.elementalgame.com/417220

November 16, 2012 2:56:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizaerd,
This is something I had wanted to do, create new tiles for stamps and new quests using the Quest Creator/Quest Wizard, but the documentation for creating such things and getting them added to the vanilla game is practically non-existant.  I wanted to create some really silly type of quests for my own enjoyment, but until someone puts out a good tutorial or video, I'm stuck waiting.

If you need help with the Quest wizard, post in the topic and I'll try to help if I can.  I've recently combined the wizard and the creator to make it easier to get started with Quests.   I've also fixed a nasty bug with Steam installs that was causing lots of people to crash when they tried to use it.    I'd love to see other's quests put into a bundle.  Maybe random events bundle.

Once you have a quest made, just put it into MyDocuments/My Games/Fallen Enchantress/Quests.  It should show up in the game (assuming it is picked up by the Random Map Generator.  Of course you can put it at 100% to show up just to test).

November 16, 2012 3:16:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,

Quoting Wizaerd, reply 8This is something I had wanted to do, create new tiles for stamps and new quests using the Quest Creator/Quest Wizard, but the documentation for creating such things and getting them added to the vanilla game is practically non-existant.  I wanted to create some really silly type of quests for my own enjoyment, but until someone puts out a good tutorial or video, I'm stuck waiting.

If you need help with the Quest wizard, post in the topic and I'll try to help if I can.  I've recently combined the wizard and the creator to make it easier to get started with Quests.   I've also fixed a nasty bug with Steam installs that was causing lots of people to crash when they tried to use it.    I'd love to see other's quests put into a bundle.  Maybe random events bundle.

Once you have a quest made, just put it into MyDocuments/My Games/Fallen Enchantress/Quests.  It should show up in the game (assuming it is picked up by the Random Map Generator.  Of course you can put it at 100% to show up just to test).

I haven't downloaded the tool (on the TODO list this weekend) but does it do quest chains, and does it tie into custom tiles created, etc?

November 16, 2012 3:23:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Wizaerd,

I think this pretty much applies for all FE modding at the moment. No documentation, no good examples, unintuitive tools with strange behavior, non working stand-alone mod folders (have to overwrite the base game files to get things to work and it changes with every patch), it's all just a big mess at the moment and not many people have the amount of time to dedicate major portions of their lives to learning it all from scratch by trial and error. Kudos to those few who do and persist at it.

I have a fulltime job and a family. Also, my patience level for dealing with this kind of frustration is not what it was a few decades ago. After taking a look at where things stand, I've decided to put FE modding aside for now and hope things improve down the road. Meantime, I've got my modding sights set on Torchlight 2 as soon as they release their GUTS editing software and documentation. Runic does modding right.

November 16, 2012 3:28:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No quest chains currently, but you can certainly have a single quest that looks like a quest chain (ie. you do steps 1 -5 get a reward, then 6 -8 get a reward, 9-12 get a reward).  I don't know if that is what you want to do or not, but it should be possible.   As for custom tiles, right now you just have to specify the tile name, it won't prepopulate in the list (currently I only preload the default tiles).  However, you shouldn't have to put the path or anything if you have it in the mod folders already. 

I'd definitely suggest starting out small with a simple quest so you understand what works and what doesn't.   Or even load a single quest from the game and look how it's done and modify it a bit.

Finally, make sure you give feedback if something doesn't work how you expect it to, or you'd like more functionality.

Have fun!

November 16, 2012 3:30:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Trying to mod this game actually feels kind of adventures for me, you can virtually see the cob webs on some functions and the skeletons of features that once were. This feels more like archeology than programming to me but luckily I have the time for some exploring at the moment.

(reaches his fedora and grabs the bullwhip)

November 16, 2012 3:36:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
However, you shouldn't have to put the path or anything if you have it in the mod folders already. 

One last question if I may...  I've played around with the tile editor, but didn;t save or anything else... Assuming I wanted to create a custom tile, for inclusion with the quest wizard, does the custom tile save the mod folder by default?  Or do  I have to move it there myself?  (And if I do have to move it, is it a single XML file, or...?)

November 16, 2012 3:49:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The tile you create in the builders forge will save by default to the My Documents/My Games/Fallen Enchantress/Tiles directory which should work just fine with mods.   Whatever name you give it when you save will be used as the internal name (this is the name that you need to use in the quest wizard).  It is a single xml file.

So for example if you create a new Cemetery looking tile and save it as Wizaerd_Cemetary_01.    Then in the quest wizard if you wan to use that tile as the starting location of your quest, you would just use that name Wizaerd_Cemetary_01 in the field that asks for the starting point of your quest.  Hope that makes sense.   

Give it a try and feel free to upload an .xml file that you saved if you have questions on your quest.   I'm sure we can help you get what you are looking for.

November 16, 2012 3:57:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,
The tile you create in the builders forge will save by default to the My Documents/My Games/Fallen Enchantress/Tiles directory which should work just fine with mods.   Whatever name you give it when you save will be used as the internal name (this is the name that you need to use in the quest wizard).  It is a single xml file.

So for example if you create a new Cemetery looking tile and save it as Wizaerd_Cemetary_01.    Then in the quest wizard if you wan to use that tile as the starting location of your quest, you would just use that name Wizaerd_Cemetary_01 in the field that asks for the starting point of your quest.  Hope that makes sense.   

Give it a try and feel free to upload an .xml file that you saved if you have questions on your quest.   I'm sure we can help you get what you are looking for.

Thanx for all your answers.  I will surely give it a whirl this weekend.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001110   Page Render Time: