mqpiffle

Join Date 10/2010
+44

Rise of the Magi

v .952 for FE 1.20

Download

Download SW compatible version

About

Rise of the Magi introduces new concepts and content to Fallen Enchantress which are generally centered around balancing and expanding the choices of the Mage character, and magic use in general.  Among the changes introduced are:

** 35 new spells  
    ** A new concept called shard synergy.  Shard synergy acts as a unit-based multiplier to shard based spell effects.  These unit stats are visible in the unit details screen.  Shard synergy bonus is added to every elemental shard synergy stat.
    ** New abilities to the Path of the Mage line.  The Wizard specializes in spell mastery and shard synergy bonus, and unlocks new spells.  The Channeler specializes in mana production and efficiency.  The Elementalist specializes in shard synergy of a particular element.
    ** Many spells now have damage effects based on the caster's level; as your hero gets more powerful so do her spells
    ** Tactical spells default to double mana cost.
    ** Changed Affinity ability to be selectable by any hero.  It now reduces tactical mana cost, gives synergy bonus, and mana production.
    ** The addition of new sovereign creation professions and traits centered around magic use
    ** Elemental tactical damage spells now have interesting side effects based on the element.  For instance, fire damage spells now have a burn effect, which applies a short DoT; cold damage spells have a frostbite effect, which applies an initiative debuff and a dodge debuff; lightning damage spells have a shock effect, which applies a disorienting (clumsy) effect and a debuff to accuracy; poison damage spells have an envenom effect, which applies weakening effects like attack debuffs and weight capacity debuffs.
    ** and much more.

For the full spell list and chagelog, please see the rotm_details.txt file included with the mod.

View current rotm_details.txt Only

Shard Synergy

Shard synergy can be thought of as a unit based multiplier to your faction-wide shard power.  

As an example we'll look at Fireball, cast by a tenth level mage with 3 fire shards.  We'll say the mage has a fire shard synergy of 175 and shard synergy bonus of 40.  It currently works like this:

RotM version of fireball does 1 fire damage per caster level + 1.5 per fire shard in a radius of 1.

175 + 40 = 215 >> fire shard synergy + shard synergy bonus

215 / 100 = 2.15 >> This is your shard power multiplier.  [FYI I use 100* numbers so you can see what's happening in the UI.  Smaller decimal numbers would simply show up as integers unless you moused over them.]

3 fire shards * 2.15 = 6.45 >> This the mage's adjusted shard power.

1.5 * 6.45 = 9.68 = 10 >> Fire damage from fire shards

10 + 10 = 20 total fire damage >> 1 damage per caster level plus shard bonus

Total damage is then multiplied by spell damage adjustments from Warlock or Path of the Mage, etc.

Recent Changes

v. .952

+ [Balance]Changed Frostbite initiative debuff to -.2 per water shard (can stack)
+ [Fix]Fixed Ice Bolt to properly deal 1 damage per level of the caster
+ [Fix]New Mage abilities are much more likely to appear at level 5 (after picking Path of the Mage)
+ [Fix]Fixed an issue with Ice Bolt spell where the shard damage was much too high
+ [Fix]Fixed bugs where the shard synergy bonus from the Wizard line of abilities wasn't being applied properly (thanks to ManiiNames)
+ [Balance]Pillar of Flame now deals 7 fire damage (+1 per fire shard)
+ [Balance]Firestorm now deals 1.5 fire damage per caster level (+2 per fire shard)
+ [Balance]Heal now heals 1 per caster level (+1 per life shard)
+ [Balance]Lay on Hands now heals 5 (+2 per life shard)
+ [Balance]Changed Affinity ability.  It is now available to all champions, and is uncommon. It now has five tiers (I-V.) Effect each tier: -3% tactical spell cost, +10 shard synergy bonus, +1 mana production.

v. .951

+ [Fix]Fixed issues which allowed picking new traits without first unlocking Path of the Mage.
+ [Balance]Cantrips now have 2 base damage instead of 1.
+ [Fix]Fixed an issue with the configuration.femm of the Stormworld version of the mod for the Mod Manager. (thanks to Murteas)

v. .95

+ [Content]Created a Stormworld compatible version of the mod.  Although using the non-SW version of the mod with Stormworld won't break the game, the SW version adds a few features which will enchance the experience of using both mods together.  If you do not use Stormworld but want to use RotM, then use the regular version of the mod.
+ [Content]Continued fleshing out of Elementalist abilities
+ [Fix]Various bug fixes
+ [Balance]Complete re-imagining of all shard-based damage spells.  Most damage spells are being converted to a level-based damage system, and the base damage per shard is being reduced considerably.  Now, along with the increase in tactical mana cost instituted in .90, it takes a significant degree of specialization in magical abilities to consistently deal high amounts of damage with spells in tactical combat.  All elemental damage spells will also have side effects which are unique to their damage type, but consitent throughout that damage type.  These effects are similar to the new cantrip spells outlined below.
+ [Content]Burn effect deals 1 fire damage (+.5 per fire shard) per turn for 3 turns.
+ [Balance]Burning Blade has been renamed to Fire Brand.  Fire Brand gives target champion 1 (+1 per fire shard) fire attack, plus burn effect on successful melee attack.
+ [Balance]Burning Hands now does 7 (+1 per fire shard) fire damage, plus burn effect.
+ [Balance]Feedback now disrupts a spell a unit is casting and does 1 fire damage per caster level (+.5 per fire shard) unless they resist, plus burn effect.
+ [Balance]Fireball now does 1 per caster level (+1.5 per fire shard) fire damage to units within a 1 tile radius, resist for half damage.  Burn effect added.
+ [Balance]Firestorm now deals 1 fire damage for every 3 caster levels per fire shard.
+ [Balance]Flame Dart now deals 1 fire damage per caster level (+1 per fire shard) plus burn effect.
+ [Balance]Flame Wave now deals 3 fire damage (+1 per fire shard) plus burn effect.
+ [Balance]Pillar of Fire now deals 3 fire damage per 2 fire shards
+ [Balance]Soulburning now deals 2 fire damage per death and fire shard to the unit (plus burn effect), half if the victim resists. If the target dies it will reanimate as a burning wraith, and a fire will rage in the tile.
+ [Balance]Blizzard now deals 1 cold damage per caster level (+1.5 per water shard) with frostbite effect.
+ [Balance]Ice Bolt now deals the caster's level (+1 per water shard) in cold damage, plus frostbite effects.
+ [Balance]Storm renamed to Electrical Storm. Lightning strikes a random enemy group and all surrounding units for 1 lightning damage per caster level (+1.5 per air shard) plus shock effects.
+ [Balance]Removed Weight Capacity Penalty from the Wizard line, added shard synergy bonus per level
+ [Balance]Removed spell damage penalty from the Channeler line
+ [Balance]Thunderstrike now deals 3 (+1 per air shard) lightning damage, plus shock effects.
+ [Fix]Removed Spark spell for now
+ [Balance]All elemental summons now summon level 5 (+.5 per appropriate shard) elemental.
+ [Content]Added x new spells this update:

Cantrip: Burn   Fire 1
Tactical
Cost: 3  CastTime: -  Range: -  Radius: -  Cooldown: can stack
Target enemy unit is set on fire, taking 1 (+.5 per fire shard) in fire damage per turn for 3 turns.

Cantrip: Frostbite   Water 1
Tactical
Target enemy unit is chilled to the bone, taking 1 (+.5 per water shard) in cold damage plus -1 initiative per 2 water shards and -1 per water shard to dodge.

Cantrip: Shock   Air 1
Tactical
Target enemy unit is shocked with electricity taking 1 (+.5 per air shard) in ligntning damage plus 5% (+3% per air shard) clumsy chance and -1 per air shard to accuracy.

Lightning Bolt   Air 2
Tactical
Cost: 24  CastTime: -  Range: -  Radius: -  Cooldown: 2; can stack
A bolt of ligntning strikes for the caster's level (+1 per air shard) in lightning damage, plus shock effects.

Planned Changes

+ Edit and create icons and effects for existing spells
+ Add more spells
+ Continue to balance and tweak existing and RotM spells to synergize with the new Mage abilities
+ Add items and quests

Mod Installation and Management

To install, either use ev4debug's Mod Manager, or extract all folders and files to your MyDocuments/MyGames/FallenEnchantress/Mods directory.

To use, enable mods in game options.

This mod is modular meaning you can remove the aspects you don't want while keeping the parts you enjoy.

To disable/delete parts of the mod you don't want navigate to MyDocuments/MyGames/FallenEnchantress/Mods/Aetheria/Astronomicon.  In this folder are various .xml files named like the spells they define.  To disable the file, delete it or cut and paste it into another container file (outside of the mods folder.)

Note: The spells included in this mod are intended for the enjoyment of the human player only, so it may give some advantage to said player.  I do not guarantee that the AI will be able to properly use the spells to its own advantage.

Special Thanks

NaytchSG - spell ideas (Sanctuary), Heavenfall - bug squishing, Murteas - bug squashing, ManiiNames - playtesting

Pinned, Locked Post 169 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
jutetrea
December 1, 2012 1:07:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nekromanta,
Any chance for cool death magic spells >necromancy> summon/rise> skeleton/zombie/zombie dragon/black knight etc, mass drain life (3-5 hp from each target ) ?

I'm going to let Heavenfall and seanw3 take care of the summons bit with their massive Goetia mod.

I'll look into the mass drain life spell.  Good idea.

December 1, 2012 3:04:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Playing my third game with this mod (first time with latest version). Really enjoying all the new spells, seem add a lot of depth to the game (and Root and Lay on Hands saved my bacon several times in the first 30 turns, after getting stuck in a nasty starting position).

Now I'm trying to find a good mage hero to raise as a wizard, those spells look ace!

December 1, 2012 3:46:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Version .80 is live.

Download it here.

***Please remove all old versions before installing the new one***

+ [Change]Renamed Roots >> Earthmeld
+ [Balance]Increased mana cost of Earthmeld to 70
+ [Fix]Sanctuary should now properly protect the spell target
+ [Balance]Increased mana cost of Root from 7 to 15
+ [Balance]Trailblazer is now Air2 and Fire1, mana cost decreased to 33+3
+ [Fix]General code cleanup where needed
+ [Content]Created and added unique icons for: Aetherial Gateway, Arcane Missile, Driving Force, Force Field, Trailblazer, Paralyze, Trailwind, Spark, Lay On Hands, Paladin's Invocation, Recovery, Root, Sanctuary, Sacred Luminance, Earthmeld, Wraithbane, and Triage

December 1, 2012 3:58:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting MisterAedan,
Playing my third game with this mod (first time with latest version). Really enjoying all the new spells, seem add a lot of depth to the game (and Root and Lay on Hands saved my bacon several times in the first 30 turns, after getting stuck in a nasty starting position).

Now I'm trying to find a good mage hero to raise as a wizard, those spells look ace!

Thanks for playing!

Lay on Hands is a really useful spell.  I may need to adjust the mana cost, or possibly the cooldown time though.  It's essentially a free heal.

Root just got its cost raised a bit in version .80, let me know if it feels ok at 15 mana.

I, personally, really like the Wizard line of abilities and spells.  Expect more stuff in that vein to appear in PotM after 1.0 is released.

December 1, 2012 7:30:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been messing with GIMP a lot over the past couple of days.  I've already re-done the icons for Root and Spark.  Lots-o-fun!

These will be included in the next update.

December 2, 2012 2:03:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Beautiful icons!  And awesome avatar pic change as well!  

FYI:  Earthmeld is showing up as a tactical spell and is not in the strategic spellbook in my current game:

December 4, 2012 3:54:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks! 

Earthmeld is a tactical spell.

BTW where did the icons go in your screenshot?

Also you need to delete and then reinstall the mod, including what's in the gfx folder.  Roots is no longer a valid spell.

December 4, 2012 6:11:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok folks.

I just got all of my mod work integrated into the FE mod manager.

The next release will include this and will be called simply Aetheria.

All future work will come under the the Aetheria heading, and will be handled through the mod manager.

December 4, 2012 8:53:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
Thanks! 

Earthmeld is a tactical spell.

BTW where did the icons go in your screenshot?

Also you need to delete and then reinstall the mod, including what's in the gfx folder.  Roots is no longer a valid spell.

Oops!  I just overwrote the mod folder when i downloaded the latest version, I didn't realize Earthmeld was a replacement for Roots...

and thx for the gfx pointer, I would have forgotten to check it!

December 6, 2012 2:21:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have an idea for a Wizard spell that you could add to the 3rd level if there is only the one spell so far, the Wizard line takes away alot of strength/weight capacity when you have a lvl 20 mage with Wizard 2 which denies alot of top quality items from being worn, so for the 3rd level Wizard how about creating a spell that can give say +5 strength for around 75-100 mana or a +2-5 strength per shard you control with a cost of 50 mana and an upkeep of 3mana a turn, call it 'Imbue Strength' and you have a nice useful spell as no one wants the medium to high encumbrance and there's too many nice items to use to keep the enchanted backpack, golden belt or amulet of the lazy equipped.

Also shard conversion spells are always welcome and would be really useful when mixed with yours and Heavenfalls mods, i would suggest a cool down time on it otherwise with the Trailblazer spell i would be upto 15+ movement in no time and whizzing around the map like speedy gonzales.

December 6, 2012 4:15:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
Ok folks.

I just got all of my mod work integrated into the FE mod manager.

The next release will include this and will be called simply Aetheria.

All future work will come under the the Aetheria heading, and will be handled through the mod manager.

December 7, 2012 9:56:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did we get a Holy City spell?

December 7, 2012 2:32:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Elmet,
Did we get a Holy City spell?

Not yet.

December 7, 2012 11:51:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm thinking of changing the name of the mod.

For one thing, I highly doubt I will take this in the direction of a total conversion style mod. Thus I'm definitely going to scrap the Aetheria portion of the name. 

I also want the name to be simpler, in a way that the name conveys the nature of the mod a bit more clearly.

I can keep the name 'The Astronomicon' or I can change it.  I'm currently thinking of calling it 'Rise of the Magi.'

What do y'all think?  Should I bother changing the name, or not?

December 8, 2012 6:45:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

'The Astronomicon' still has the sound of wizardry if you were looking to simplify.  If you are going to keep tweaking the mage class (just got one hero to level 5 yesterday and chose the first of your changes) then Rise of the Magi sounds good.

I don't care what you call it, just keep coming up with the good ideas! 

December 9, 2012 3:01:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice modding mqpiffle. I like Rise of the Magi, makes more sense than the current name. Looking forward to the mod manager compatible release!

December 9, 2012 4:09:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just downloaded .8, first time user of this mod so no overwrite issues, and I am showing root as a spell and it says string not found.

Any idea why this might be?

Here is an image of my your mod inside of my mod folder.  You can see both root and earthmeld are in there.

Also, I see you have a disclaimer that this mod is intended for players enjoyment, and that I can not count on the AI to utilize the spells properly, but that said, does the AI use these spells?  Does it mostly use them properly or does it just waste mana and turns using these spells when it should probably be doing something else?

December 9, 2012 11:44:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rhaegor,
I am showing root as a spell and it says string not found.

I've already caught this bug and it's been fixed for the next update.

Also, I see you have a disclaimer that this mod is intended for players enjoyment, and that I can not count on the AI to utilize the spells properly, but that said, does the AI use these spells?  Does it mostly use them properly or does it just waste mana and turns using these spells when it should probably be doing something else?

When I've seen the AI use these spells it tends to do so fairly intelligently.

December 15, 2012 6:48:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do you have an eta for the next version mq? Really looking forward to it!

December 15, 2012 1:24:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No,  but I will say that it will be a 1.0 experience.

Maybe today.  Maybe not.

December 15, 2012 2:08:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Spoiler of upcoming changelog (so far):

v. 1

+ [Change]Changed mod name to Rise of the Magi
+ [Content]Added Shard Synergy UnitStat for each element type.  This stat acts as a multiplier to shard-based spell effects.
+ [Change]Altered vanilla spells and RotM spells to use new Shard Synergy stats.  This may make the mod incompatible with Stormworld (for now.)
+ [Balance]Vanilla spells generally balanced to be slightly more dependant on shard power, and balanced for overall effect.  Details below.
+ [Balance]Changed Blindness spell to -20% (-3% per Death Shard) Accuracy.  Blindness ability remains the same.
+ [Balance]Changed Blizzard to 4 (+3 per water shard) per unit member damage to all units in 2 tile radius save for half.  Added -1 initiative per water shard for 2 +1 turns unless resisted.
+ [Balance]Changed Burning Hands damage to 7 (+3 per fire shard) save for half.
+ [Balance]Changed Courage to +2 (+2 per life shard) to Spell Resist and Hit Points.
+ [Balance]Changed mana cost of Spark to 10 from 12; increased clumsy chance to 25% (+5% per air shard); Changed damage to 3 (+3 per air shard.)
+ [Balance]Changed Evade to +3 (+2 per air shard) dodge.
+ [Balance]Changed Fireball damage to 10 (+5 per fire shard) resist for half.
+ [Balance]Changed Firestorm initial damage to 7 per fire shard.
+ [Balance]Changed Flame Dart damage to 1 per level (+3 per fire shard) resist for half.
+ [Balance]Gift of Iron now gives -1 initiative penalty per 2 earth shards.
+ [Balance]Heal now heals 7 (+3 per life shard.)
+ [Balance]Changed Noble Legacy to +1 Attack Boost per fire shard instead of Spell Mastery.
+ [Balance]Changed Pillar of Flame damage to 3 per fire shard.  Removed cooldown.
+ [Balance]Changed Shockwave damage to 5 (+5 per earth shard.) Removed resistance.
+ [Balance]Changed Soulburning damage to 7 (+3 per death and fire shard) save for half.
+ [Balance]Changed Storm damage to 10 (+7 per air shard) save for half.
+ [Balance]Changed Thunderstrike damage to 3 (+3 per air shard.)
+ [Balance]Changed Touch of Entropy damage to 15 (+7 per death shard) save for half.  Changed damage type from CurHealth to Poison.
+ [Balance]Changed Wellspring to heal 10 (+5 per life shard.)
+ [Balance]Changed Immolation damage to 15 (+7 per fire shard) save for half.
+ [Change]Renamed Aetherial Portal >> Dimension Door
+ [Change/Balance]Renamed Paladin's Invocation >> Invocation.  Reduced CastTime to 2.  Reduced accuracy and max hit point buff to 7 (+5 per life shard.)
+ [Change]Removed Recovery spell because it duplicated Wellspring effect.
+ [Balance]Changed Sanctuary healing to 3 (+3 per life shard) per turn for 3 +1 turns.
+ [Content]Added Elementalist abilities to Path of the Mage lineage, giving spellcasting champions even more level-up options.  Elementalists focus on shard synergy and 'bonding' with a certain elemental force.
+ [Content]Added Channeler abilities to Path of the Mage lineage, giving spellcasting champions even more level-up options.  Channelers focus on mana efficiency and mana gain.  They tend to be weaker (spell damage) and slower than other magi.

December 15, 2012 3:24:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

nice changelog, the magic system needed an overhaul.

December 16, 2012 5:31:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking great, holding off my next game till this one gets released!

December 16, 2012 4:05:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LordTheRon,

Looking great, holding off my next game till this one gets released!

It might be awhile before I get this out.  There are still lots more changes and additions I want to implement before releasing 1.0 (beta version) to the public.  And it being just before the holidays I will be a bit busier than usual over the next week and a half.

In fact, it's turning out that I'm completely re-balancing the early magic game.  I'm eventually going to have to make 'vanilla' versions of the new spells for those players that don't want the experience of a completely overhauled magic system, or who want to use the spells with other mods enabled.  As of 1.0, this mod may not play well with others without some work.  I would definitely like to keep it (at least a version of it) compatible with Stormworld, but initially I don't see that happening.

December 16, 2012 4:31:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just do what you think is best and don't rush things. Stormworld compatibility would be a big plus of course, but I'm playing vanilla too. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000407   Page Render Time: