Enjoying FE immensely

By on November 14, 2012 8:39:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

giskarduk

Join Date 03/2009
+2

Hello everybody.

I know players usually focus on whats bad about a game, which is why I make a point of making posts when there is something good to say too. Do not get me wrong, if this game was crap I would say so, but it is actually pretty good. So far I have not heard a bad word said about it from people that actually play it on my site.

We all like it, last time that happened was with Mount and Blade.

I spent yesterday having a quick game to get a feel for Fallen Enchantress. Then I looked at the clock and 5 hours had passed and it was midnight. I think all that really needs to be said about a game is said in that 1 sentence and I have heard others say that happened to them too. That and stay away from Dragons

But I just want to add some stuff to that.

I love the maps, the way the world changes from dark to green or back again depending on the side you chose. I love the realms of the immortal elemental lords that must be beaten in game that go above and beyond other mortal nations that you also face.

I love the quests that pop up, in fact I would love to write some for this game (I am a modder with scripting skills) but see no way to do it yet.

I love the factions and the lore surrounding them and find the entire game just draws me in. I find my self looking at the detail instead of going word blind and ignoring it as happens with other games (my eyes glaze over with boredom basically). There is so much going on, so much that can happen when you explore a quest location that you cannot just run across the map without thinking. You have to be careful.

I am huge civilization 1 to 4 fan (not Civ 5, that is dumped down for kiddies) and I like RPG games too but never expected a merging of the 2 would world out well. In fact, I believe this style of game makes the 20+ year old Civilization series suddenly look a bit basic.

I know other companies have tried this approach. The last one being one of Neocores extremely buggy (and very NOT recommended) King Arthur series. I think the X4 RPG genre as a lot going for it and I hope to see more games like this in the future. Not just for fantasy gaming but for scifi too. I like scifi more than fantasy to be honest.

In the mean time, just as Sins of a Solar empire is the game to beat for that sort of game, it seems Stardock made the x4 RPG that others have to beat when they made FE too.

Well done Stardock.

Do not worry, I'll probably be back with complaints later. So this creepy uncomfortable fanboy feeling will not last long and I'll soon be moaning about an Elementals underwear being too tight or something lol. Not seen anything wrong yet with this game so I have nothing bad to say about it

One last thing, I have not had a single crash yet either.

Some players buy games from companies that cannot make stable games to save their lives (Bethesda) and wrongly assume all games are that unstable. I would love to see them playing FE so they can see thats not the case. 

Locked Post 12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 14, 2012 8:52:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
I love the quests that pop up, in fact I would love to write some for this game (I am a modder with scripting skills) but see no way to do it yet.

Welcome! Check out this quest editor thread by Murteas if not not already done so... perty cool. http://forums.elementalgame.com/417220. There's also a couple of great mods to check out (Stormworld and Master's Affliction).

November 14, 2012 8:55:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it is an amazing game, but i definitely wouldn't call it stable it crashes for me about 1 in 4 times when loading a game, and at several other random points. It's probably the buggiest game i've played since fallout NV

but yes i do like it and it is awesome ^^ 

November 14, 2012 12:43:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm coming back to it after abandoning all hopes for it (and Elemental) earlier this year. Even though FE was going to be free for me, I thought I would never reinstall it (or Stardock-anything) ever again.  But I did just that lastnight.  Why the change?  I couldn't tell you actually.  I just don't know.  But I'm looking forward to any and all future expansions/DLCs.  I guess we'll see what becomes available.

November 14, 2012 12:54:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Much to the chagrin of my wife, I'm hooked on FE.  Brad, how do you it?  How come your wife let's you play, but mine does not?

November 14, 2012 1:00:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yeah, Stormworld mod adds some new quests so take a look at that for a start, you could definitely add some good ones. a Wild Hunt quest would be mighty cool for example

by the way, civ5 has gone a long way since release and with G&K is now very enjoyable. the AI is still a weak point but definitely much better than it used to be. I find it still doesn't have the long lasting appeal of something like FE or FFH though.

November 14, 2012 1:19:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I still have high hopes for the game but it's still pretty buggy so in the mean time I've been playing Civ V. Go figure . . .

November 14, 2012 1:39:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NanakoAC,
it is an amazing game, but i definitely wouldn't call it stable it crashes for me about 1 in 4 times when loading a game, and at several other random points. It's probably the buggiest game i've played since fallout NV

but yes i do like it and it is awesome ^^ 

This is weird, it never crashes for me.  Going all the way back to WoM.  I find few serious bugs either.

November 14, 2012 1:47:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I crashed pretty often with WoM, but almost never with FE.  With FE, I crash as much with it as I do with any other game I play.  FE has some memory leak issues and hangs after awhile, but I can save it when it does and just exit and load back up the game and I have lost nothing, so I don't really mind too much.

November 14, 2012 3:21:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting AlLanMandragoran,

quoting postI love the quests that pop up, in fact I would love to write some for this game (I am a modder with scripting skills) but see no way to do it yet.

Welcome! Check out this quest editor thread by Murteas if not not already done so... perty cool. http://forums.elementalgame.com/417220. There's also a couple of great mods to check out (Stormworld and Master's Affliction).

Excellent thank you AlLan

I have book marked it, will check it out when I am ready to start modding this game.

November 14, 2012 3:39:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My understanding is the game was only officially released on 10 October, anything before that would have been a prerelease version.

Correct me if I am wrong, I am new to this game after all.

Assuming I am not wrong, pre-releases are supposed to be buggy, its the final releases that are supposed to be stable. Sins of Solar Empire Rebellion also allowed pre order customers to play it whilst it was a beta but even that game was very stable for me. In fact all of Stardocks games have always been stable for me. Not a single issue.

I would not compare FE to Fallout NV, Fallout NV was the second most buggy game I ever played after Skyrim. Skyrim is kind of Greatest Bethesda Bugs Hits release, it contains all their best bugs for the last 10 years plus some new ones added with the new scripting language.

I think there are a lot of factors that govern stability of games, the biggest being the way some folk update drivers whether they need to or not. 32 years as a computer geek taught me the most important lesson I could learn. If it aint broken... do not fix it.... leave those drivers alone until you have a good reason to update. If you do that, then the rest takes care of it self.

Sometimes you just have yo keep updating the drivers until you found a set that does not bug out. Then you stick to those. Keeping a back up of those drivers too in case you need to reinstall.

So new rule "if it works, keep it".

November 14, 2012 3:42:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Make sure to check out the whole modding forum at that time:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/forum/1008

November 14, 2012 10:07:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will do Leo, thanks

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000234   Page Render Time: