Waerloga the Chicken Weakling

By on November 12, 2012 9:48:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rhettrongun

Join Date 06/2008

I imagine this has been said already, but I think this dead horse needs to be beaten some more regardless. I think the Dragonlord must have been hit hard with the nerf bat at some point in the beta, because it sounds like he was actually fairly challenging based on the ancient thread I found on him from back in February.

As he is now, he's a complete push over for the sort of army typically brought against him late game. The stun effect he has on melee attackers and his fire breath attack would make him a tough end game boss if he had the normal number of perks a level 20 champion should have. In his current state he has maybe 4 or 5 total on the challenging game setting. This means he has enough survivability to maybe get in 2 attack rounds with some luck. The game I just completed he got in zero attacks, although to be fair my army was probably stronger than normal.

Assuming all victory options are enabled, the sand box game ENDS after he is defeated. He should be the toughest enemy in the game by far. Even powerful armies like the one I brought against him should experience some losses.

The other thing I don't care for is his displayed name in game is simply "Champion". That's quite lame. Why not show Wearloga or even Dragonlord? The name you guys came up with is not bad imo.

Anyways, for now I'll just attempt to go in and mod his abilities for my own future enjoyment. For those that are not going to bother doing that sort of thing, they will undoubtedly continue to be dissatisfied with the master quest end game boss.

Locked Post 12 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 12, 2012 10:04:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

he is far, far far too weak. The first time i got to him i nearly cried at how easy it was i killed him in 3 hits. i actually stood around skipping a few turns to give him a few chances, in hope that he might pull off something spectacular, but he never did.

He needs at least 20 times his current HP value. seriously, it should be a long and epic struggle. i'm not sure what else he can do, but a lot more initiative, and the impulsive trait, would help him to do some of it.

November 12, 2012 10:10:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Agreed. Waerloga in his current incarnation is a wuss.

November 12, 2012 10:22:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

so odd.

I remember to be a scary, scary demon-beast of a Dragon general, who gave me nightmares as I cried myself to sleep each night.

Where did the old Waerloga go??

(hmm, is it just that fear got nerfed? It used to stop you from acting completely ... not to mention the fact that it was him (riding on an ashwake of course) acompanied by 4 or 5 other ashwake dragons. and ALL could cast fear (and they did quite often).

Usually my army would die before I could even move ... lol.

A powerful late-game army would be lucky to get in around 100 damage or so on an enemy unit .... (at least if units are level 1) ... so my plan was to build up 10-15 late-game armies and attack him with all in the same turn, hopefully killing him with the final, Sov backed army.

Back then my only complaint with him was that, after you 'lost' to him ... sure he is on the map now, but all he did was SIT there. IF he had been an active AI going about destroying (or rather conquering) the lands would have been hands down BEST final boss ever.

Actually ... yea ... It'd be cool if Waerloga, upon being released, started (if not outright attacking ALL your cities) taking over nearby cities, training late-game armies, and sending them out to conquer other cities.

THEN you'd have to fight through his mooks before finally finishing him off, since you (or someone else) let him escape in the first place ...

Muahahaha ... may the Dragonlord yet return!

(personally I'd prefer if it said 'Dragonlord' better than champion, but his full name works too (Dragonlord Waerloga)

November 12, 2012 10:33:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In one of the beta you had to face him solo (sovereign only), so it could be difficult if you didn't built your sovereign properly. I'm not sure when it was changed, but now it's an army, so he gets slaughtered.

In a much older version of the quest (now it's an ashwake recruitment quest), he had a pack of ashwake dragons with him, and they can hurt.

November 12, 2012 10:34:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

He's a pussy.

November 12, 2012 10:42:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Back then my only complaint with him was that, after you 'lost' to him ... sure he is on the map now, but all he did was SIT there. IF he had been an active AI going about destroying (or rather conquering) the lands would have been hands down BEST final boss ever.

Actually ... yea ... It'd be cool if Waerloga, upon being released, started (if not outright attacking ALL your cities) taking over nearby cities, training late-game armies, and sending them out to conquer other cities.

THEN you'd have to fight through his mooks before finally finishing him off, since you (or someone else) let him escape in the first place ...

Muahahaha ... may the Dragonlord yet return!

Now that would be awesome. Personally I'd prefer he just went on a rampage if he manages to get loose. So, just wander the map and raze any cities he conquers. 

He should definitely have a couple hundred more HP and a couple ashwakes by his side at the very least. Then he would have been something of a challenge for my seemingly OP end game army. 

I joined the beta relatively late, so I missed the powerful boss fight. I remember being disappointed when I won via mast quest route in the beta. I just assumed it was evident enough that I didn't need to add my voice to the Waerlog needs to be buffed chant on here.

November 13, 2012 12:46:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would be nice if the dragon lord had command of... You know... Dragons?

I'm sure with dancing with dragons you could probably attack him with an all dragon army right? (I've never built it so no idea if there is a # cap on dragons)

In line with thread title,

Waerloga, Chicken Chaser

November 13, 2012 1:03:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Tasunke,

(hmm, is it just that fear got nerfed? It used to stop you from acting completely ... not to mention the fact that it was him (riding on an ashwake of course) acompanied by 4 or 5 other ashwake dragons. and ALL could cast fear (and they did quite often).

Usually my army would die before I could even move ... lol.

well that sounds a bit much. killing him before he can move, or dying before you can move, either way neither is fun. he should have the power and durability to last a long fight, not be a glass cannon

Quoting Tasunke,

agreed. when you open the second gate, he starts boasting about how he's going to kill you, escape, and lay waste to the world. If he manages to accomplish the first part, then he should definitely proceed with doing the others. Or perhaps it would simply be better if the initial battle were removed, and instead of fighting you he immediately sets off on his conquest, forcing a chase ^^

That late in the game, everyone should be built up enough to survive losing a few cities.  He should be like the horsemen in FFH, flying over mountains with rapid movement, cutting his way through armies and autorazing every city he takes. There's an interesting thrill of chase in hunting down an enemy with four movement, and no terrain interference. you have to use mincer manouevres, outsmart the target, present bait to draw them where you want them

November 13, 2012 2:19:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I threw together a minor mod to make him a challenge. He should have 2 level 8 dragons (1 ash/1 fell) with him, ~300 HP, plus a bunch of useful abilities like deflect arrows/impulsive.  I noticed even the dialogue just before fighting him is dated. It implies your army deserts you leaving the sovereign to solo him. That sounds like it was from the beta version mentioned above. So I edited that part too. I'll finish testing him out tomorrow on a tiny map w/cheats and see how it turned out 

November 13, 2012 4:26:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hard to argue with the thread, hope Kael is reading...

November 13, 2012 8:07:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I already said my piece about it here. No need to repeat it.

November 13, 2012 11:12:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fixed, thanks.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: