Demographics of FE

So, how old are you?

By on November 8, 2012 4:30:20 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Borg999

Join Date 02/2006
+53

A number of years ago, the question was asked on the GC2 forum. To my surprise, the average age was somewhere in the early to mid thirties.

I was expecting a younger crowd.

I wonder if that holds true for FE. Are you a GC2 crossover, or new to SD games?

Do you/did you ever play AD&D?

No poll option, so I'll start. I'm 45, and a GC2 crossover. Played AD&D in the early to mid 80's.

I'm known as GeezerGamer at the Civ forums.

Locked Post 91 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 8, 2012 4:41:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

41 years old. I also am a GC2 crossover.

Yep, played AD&D, and Basic before that. Still have piles of modules somewhere I bet. As kids we, um, "liberated" them from the dumpsters behind TSR in Lake Geneva, lol.

November 8, 2012 4:43:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm 32 and a GC 1 crossover. Played AD&D

November 8, 2012 4:46:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Most people that play are older. Young people have neither the intelligence, nor the attention span to play this game. There are always some outlying numbers, but on the whole, 25-50 is going to be who plays this sort of game.

November 8, 2012 4:52:04 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

48, been playing since Elite on a C64.  Civ II was my intro to TBS genre.

As for SD games, GC, GCII, Sins, to FE.

November 8, 2012 5:00:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

28, demigod was my first sd game. Then e:wom. Swedish, male, blue eyes, brown hair.

November 8, 2012 5:09:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am 32.

GalCiv2 was my first stardock game.

I played AD&D in the late 80's and it took a few years to move into 2nd edition, played that, Heroes Unlimited and Rifts until I got out of high school and then started playing some 3rd edition when I was in my mid 20s for a couple years, having playing anything for awhile now.

November 8, 2012 5:11:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Most people that play are older. Young people have neither the intelligence, nor the attention span to play this game. There are always some outlying numbers, but on the whole, 25-50 is going to be who plays this sort of game.

Psh. I'll have you know I was playing Civilization II at the age of 12 (I'm 26 now, to address the OP). Most young people have neither the intelligence nor attention span for this kind of game, but not all. Most adults too, for that matter. It's not really about age.

November 8, 2012 5:16:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

38, new to SD since WoM,  I did play a bit of AD+D when I was around 12.   I played a lot of D&D based RPG games in the 90's (like Baldur's Gate series).   I don't entirely agree with seanw3's assertion that yonger people would not play this game.  My nephew plays and he just turned 17.  He may be one of the outlying numbers Sean referred to but not all young people lack the patience and intelligence for this sort of game.   

November 8, 2012 5:17:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm 35.  First heard about stardock and GC while hanging out on the MOO III forums.   Played GC, GCII, Sots,DG,EWoM, and of course FE

November 8, 2012 5:18:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

35 years old and from the Kingdom of Norway, played and still play GC2.

Did not play AD&D. I'm more of a strategy gamer then a RPG-gamer, but I love the combination in Fallen Enchantress. Can't say any game has done it better or with a huger charm. FE is like an old game dream coming true. 

Next dream is playing FE and GC3 with you guys in multiplayer. 

November 8, 2012 5:26:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Austinvn,
Psh. I'll have you know I was playing Civilization II at the age of 12 (I'm 26 now, to address the OP). Most young people have neither the intelligence nor attention span for this kind of game, but not all. Most adults too, for that matter. It's not really about age.

Yes, TBS was on equal footing back then. But people of my generation, 25, and younger ones tend to grow up with the mainstream genres that have developed since. TBS is something one picks up with age, like an appreciation for wine and cigars. The brain is simply able to handle more complex ideas as it matures. This is speaking generally from personal experience. Still, I seem to be the youngest one here.

November 8, 2012 5:27:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

35, german. I tried GC 2, but i´m not a big SF Fan. Never played AD&D, but The Black Eye the biggest and famoust german PnP scenario. I tried some other PnP sets. Midgard for example. Right now its savage world "sundered skies".

November 8, 2012 5:38:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

19, US, first SD game was Sins of a Solar Empire (bought it when it was still expensive.). Been playing strategy games since I was probably 12, and I've put probably a couple thousand hours in on various TBS games over the years (starting with Alpha Centauri and Civ 3). Too young for AD&D, but I have played some 3.5, but sadly there are few people in my area that play D&D so I don't get to play much. Pre-law/Paralegal studies student at the moment, wanting to go to law school after finishing up my 4 year degree in paralegal studies. 

November 8, 2012 6:05:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm 29, a GC2 crossover, and have played AD&D (and other roleplaying systems/tabletop games) since my teenage years.

November 8, 2012 6:18:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

36, GC2 crossover, I did play AD&D and Basic, and have been playing TBS since MoM (still think the original AoW was and is one of the best).

November 8, 2012 6:19:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
A number of years ago, the question was asked on the GC2 forum. To my surprise, the average age was somewhere in the early to mid thirties.

I was expecting a younger crowd.

I wonder if that holds true for FE. Are you a GC2 crossover, or new to SD games?

Do you/did you ever play AD&D?

and I've played GC2.

and I've played AD&D.

November 8, 2012 6:39:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GC2 Crossover. Yes, played AD&D but not much. I'm 114 young and faster than all you young whipper snappers. Let me tell you about the hills I had to walk uphill for to reach school, both ways, in the snow, yada yada yada.. Ok, I'm 37.

November 8, 2012 6:51:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm 32, and my first Stardock game was WOM, which I found out about on the CivFanatics forum, from which I migrated to Stardock's forums.  Got a bit emotional when WOM was released, but hung in there and am pleased with how FE has turned out.

November 8, 2012 6:51:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

Quoting Austinvn, reply 8Psh. I'll have you know I was playing Civilization II at the age of 12 (I'm 26 now, to address the OP). Most young people have neither the intelligence nor attention span for this kind of game, but not all. Most adults too, for that matter. It's not really about age.

Yes, TBS was on equal footing back then. But people of my generation, 25, and younger ones tend to grow up with the mainstream genres that have developed since. TBS is something one picks up with age, like an appreciation for wine and cigars. The brain is simply able to handle more complex ideas as it matures. This is speaking generally from personal experience. Still, I seem to be the youngest one here.

I find your elitism disturbing

I began playing TBS when I was about 10 yrs old, Austinvn hit the nail on the head here: age has nothing to do with it. it's really all about the character, you basically have to be the type of person who enjoys reflecting a lot. which really doesn't make you better than anyone else btw, actually I think RTS skills would be a lot more useful IRL where time is a scarce resource.

but it's funny that we had AD&D then and we have ADHD now

November 8, 2012 7:04:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Am about 43 i reckon. 
New to SD with E:WOM
Played DnD before AD&D

* been a Civer since Civ1 but not past Civ4:BTS. And Civ2 on PSOne is the only console game i own. Was Civ5 on steamworks that got me looking for E:WOM. Needed a new Civ fix and i choose E:WOM (much of this due to SD's thought on DRM and their plans at the time for Impulse, also their semi-open engagement with the fans, and some more misc stuffs).

November 8, 2012 7:08:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Maybe I am completely wrong. That's never stopped me before.

November 8, 2012 7:14:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Im 38,

came from Demigod forums.

Played GC2, Sins...

played ADD, DD...

November 8, 2012 7:15:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Maybe I am completely wrong. That's never stopped me before.

that's the spirit!

November 8, 2012 7:30:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I was always more into RTS not TBS but did like Alpha Centari, GalCiv and GalCiv2, (Didn't play Civ until 4 and didn't like it much...  Civ 5 was even worse - game play never sucked me in like AC or the GalCiv's )

my RTS resume is too long to list. it's actually shorter to list the games I didn't play. I tend to favor Paradox's games but do like the Total War Series too. 

The perfect game for me would be a Paradox RTS engine & map, using a Stardock (/Frogboy) AI and unit customization, with cut screens to Total War's tactical system for battles.  You would probably need a supercomputer mainframe to run it but man it would be cool!!  Sins is got close with the RTS engine, and zoom to see the tactical, but still lacks Paradox game's ability to have every game be unique and fresh.   FE got the Replayability down but isn't RTS and the tactical play is still kinda rudimentary.

in short still waiting for the ideal game

yes I played AD&D. 

November 8, 2012 7:40:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Started out on a Timex Sinclair 1000 playing some sort of a star trek-like game. Played through all of the classic TBS. Caught on to Stardock with GC1 and loved every minute.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000859   Page Render Time: