20th Level Wizard WTF

Housed an army in one spell.

By on November 6, 2012 11:23:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ishantil

Join Date 03/2003
+1

So I've got a game humming along, as you do.  And my sphere of influence (or Zone of Control?) accidentally rubs up against this wizard guy hanging out in his keep.  When it said "Deadly Epic Fire and Death Will Befall You" when I looked at him up first seeing him, I decided to go the other way (naturally).

So anyway, my ZoC being over his keep apparently made him mad or something.  So he walked up to the nearby city, stepped forward, cast a spell which I have no idea what was, and promptly obliterated the entire army guarding the town.  Did seventy or eighty damage in something like an 8x8 area of effect.

Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand I promptly quit the game.  That guy could destroy my entire civilization.  Easily.  Actually, he was well on his way to destroying my entire civilization.  In fact, he could probably destroy every civilization.  Probably all at once.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot.

And so a game that was really fun is suddenly not fun

Locked Post 23 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 6, 2012 11:33:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That was Mr. Dark Wizard and he cast Despair.  It hits all enemies and I think it does 3 damage per level, and they are often level 20.  He's a dick and beating him can be really, really difficult.  He cast despair every few turns, so he will kill you eventually.  He also cast a fear cloak spell that makes him very difficult to hit.  Few things scare me in the game, and Dark Wizards are one.  

To beat him, you need fast and strong attackers.  The best are ones trained in a fort that gives the impulsive trait.

November 6, 2012 11:38:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Part of this game is learning what you can face and what you can't. Mr Dark Wizard has a tower next to the city building spot? Now you know not to build there until your ready

November 6, 2012 11:39:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've played a ridiculous amount of games on large maps (pre and post beta) and have never had a minor faction npc with a spell that caused damage anywhere the extent you portray. I know that a sovereign with the correct skills and enough fire shards can do quite a bit of havoc in short order.. 

What difficulty do you play on?

Do you have any custom mods? 

Do you have your game saved? - If so, please upload a screen-shot of the this 'wizards' stat page with the suspected possible spell used highlighted by your cursor and possibly someone can help pinpoint the issue with your sandbox. 

Edit : Seems you've already identified the npc. Unfortunately.. I've never ran into him yet.  

Quoting Lord Xia,
beat him, you need fast and strong attackers. The best are ones trained in a fort that gives the impulsive trait.

Mounts also can help you close the gap on the tactical map a lot easier before he can spit out some spells. 

November 6, 2012 11:45:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Mulfia,
Edit : Seems you've already identified the npc. Unfortunately.. I've never ran into him yet.

I've ran into him once, but luckly I killed him neatly without the spell that everybody is ranting about. He's rather easy to kill, IF he doesn't cast that spell, which I killed him before he got it off. From reading I attribute that to luck on my part

November 7, 2012 12:19:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

yea, I was able to kill him with my sov around level 10/ level 12 ... just managed to kill him before he casted it

( granted, it may have taken a reload or two )

November 7, 2012 12:31:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Champions with counter spell or spell leech are your friends when dealing with these folks. You will need more than one during the fight to make sure he does not shake off the counter spell.

November 7, 2012 12:32:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With Mage Sov with right skills and very high initiative can easily kill that Dark Wizard, but you will have very hard time if your sov is warrior-type hero and no counter-spell available or with not enough magic mastery (he has fairly high magic resistance)

That said, you can say he is actually stronger than a dragon. It's nightmare when you find him too late and you know your city's influence will hit his keep too soon, making him destroying your city before you have chance to level up your heroes.

November 7, 2012 12:35:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
That was Mr. Dark Wizard and he cast Despair.  It hits all enemies and I think it does 3 damage per level, and they are often level 20.  He's a dick and beating him can be really, really difficult.  He cast despair every few turns, so he will kill you eventually.  He also cast a fear cloak spell that makes him very difficult to hit.  Few things scare me in the game, and Dark Wizards are one.  

To beat him, you need fast and strong attackers.  The best are ones trained in a fort that gives the impulsive trait.
or someone with a really strong bow, lots of accuracy, and a kick ass initiative modifier.

November 7, 2012 12:48:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Easy way to kill them -

Quick Resolve. 

November 7, 2012 1:11:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

wont work anymore, spells now go off in quick resolve.

November 7, 2012 1:29:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah he is scary good. Don't settle near him until you have a task force to take him out

November 7, 2012 1:52:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glowing_Ember,

Then Battlecry.

November 7, 2012 2:14:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,

Then Battlecry.

Only works if that mage has more initiative than dark wizard.

November 7, 2012 2:26:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Killed him in a game yesterday. He had two ritualists with him and an Assassin demon. First time he wiped the floor with my army (heavy armoured cavalry and my sovereign) - I lost more than 500 mana in the process for my stupid sov's retreat.

Then I made an army specifically for him (archers, fast cavalry) and countered the right spells. This time it was easy .

November 7, 2012 2:38:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glowing_Ember,

And what a wonderful thing that this was fixed and no longer an option

On the dark wizard front, I always found that attacking with a few 5-unit high-initiative archers (with maxed initiative buffs) can also help, as can luring him into areas protected by a few of your high-level outposts stacking modifiers ...

November 7, 2012 2:54:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting wnmnkh,

Quoting Glazunov1, reply 13

Then Battlecry.

Only works if that mage has more initiative than dark wizard.

Of course.  It works.  Battlecry causes all your units to take an immediate turn.  If you plan ahead, you can actually chain this, so that as the chain ends, the next mage with Battlecry casts it, causing the chain to restart.  And then your first mage has another shot at casting it, too.  it's very mana-intensive, but it works against the Dark Wizard.  Learning to finesse the initiative order of your champions to good advantage is important in epic or deadly situations.  I wouldn't expect otherwise.  Would you?

November 7, 2012 3:13:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is cool stuff, if you ragequit you are missing the fun. You might have overcome him, he might have gone towards an AI empire or something completely different might happen. Make a story in your head. If you want the monsters to sleep until you are ready for them, I suggest Heroes of Might and Magic VI.

And remember: You provoked him by getting him into your ZOC. This is something YOU control.

Dont give up on this game, its great

November 7, 2012 4:10:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This guy can be found in Arena too right? I remember 2 days back, i got pawned hard when fighting him and 2-3 other demons and a friggin huge demon, focused on demon first, then when his turn came, almost my entire party got wiped.

I also saw a "Recruit-able Champion" called Dark Wizard or something(I was Tarth), think the rating was deadly but i have been avoiding him. Thats him?

November 7, 2012 6:28:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bah he isn't so hard..

The despair spell can be countered  

November 7, 2012 7:42:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I didn't realize how much crazy he brought to the table.  I think I'll start a new game after 1.01 comes out.

November 7, 2012 8:37:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Counterspell is the key IMO.  He'll have like a 20%+ chance to resist it though, so as someone above suggested bring two mages who can both cast Counterspell or its equivalent (Spell Leech etc).

November 7, 2012 12:16:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I now know not to make a home next to this guy.  He doesn't like to share.

November 7, 2012 12:28:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glowing_Ember,

Still works on [1.004], at least in some situations. Was playing as Lord Markin and got that special event where a girl comes to say that something happened to her guardian Bill. To complete the quest, you have to face a dark wizard. He obliterated my army, Lord Markin had less than 1/3 of his hit point and yet... when I pressed auto-resolve, I won the fight!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000593   Page Render Time: