[1.004][MAJOR BUG] Loading a savegame -> AI finishes all construction!

By on November 3, 2012 6:15:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hedetet

Join Date 02/2012
+10

Just had a WTF moment when Relias finished construction of the Great Mill on turn 70 or something like that. I suspected that the trigger was loading a savegame (yeah, yeah, I made a blunder in tac combat - stupid clumsy trait!), and went on to test it.

Sure enough, every time you load a game and the AI has improvements on its queue, they *ALL* get instantly completed the next turn (needless to say, it costs no gildar, not even the 25 minimum). This happens even when the front of the queue is a unit - all the improvements next in queue get completed (the unit itself doesn't, though - the bug seems to pertain to improvements only).

I suppose this could be Brad's cruel punishment for savescumming

I'm aware that there's a new release, but I haven't seen it addressed in the changelog so it's probably still there...

Also, for the record, I was playing on challenging, but I don't see any particular reason it shouldn't happen on other difficulty levels.

edit: verified it's still there in 1.004

Locked Post 67 Replies +3
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 3, 2012 7:33:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This needs to be fixed for 1.01 proper, as it probably affects all mods too!

November 3, 2012 9:46:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Anyone else seen this?  This seems like a very big bug, does this happen every time for you or just sometimes?

November 3, 2012 9:54:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah - that explains something I observed a while ago. I had been playing fine and dandy, but then did something stupid and had to reload a saved game from five turns previous or so. When I did, I got the 'the AI completed the Great Mill' or something message; on the original go-through I'm quite certain that that had not occurred and I was a little confused as to why it happened after loading. This explains that.

This was on Easy (hey, it was my first actual attempt at playing the game).

November 3, 2012 10:56:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I observed the same thing as mutantdwarf. I'm playing on challenging

November 3, 2012 11:13:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I suppose this could be Brad's cruel punishment for savescumming

I certainly hope so and this DOESN'T need to be fixed at all. WAD! This will teach those save scummers lol and a perfect balance to keep the AI fairly balanced vs the player.

November 3, 2012 11:17:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Rhadagast

This happens consistently to me. You may verify it yourself by using the unfog cheat: 

1. Run FE with -cheat suffix

2. Ctrl + U

Also verified it for 1.004.

November 3, 2012 11:19:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've seen an AI city pop five buildings in a single turn.  On Novice at turn 26.  Two other cities popped a couple of buildings at the same time.

And 2 more buildings were popped in the original city on turn 32.  I didn't bother to check the others but quit instead.  Sort of spoilt my day actually...

Edit: I'm sick of the whole savescumming tirade but to be clear-

It did not happen to me with reloading but when I loaded up a save from the previous night and played on to the next turn for the first time.

November 3, 2012 11:25:15 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

yeah, that would explain what happened in my live stream yesterday.

The game crashed during the stream (end of turn crash, when I had selected a skath army to look at before hitting end turn) so I reloaded from an autosave.  As the autosave was from a few turns back, I was a little surprised to see a wonder get completed when hitting end turn - when it wasn't completed the first go around.

So.. it's not for reload protection, but for crash problems.  Or an 'I saved the game and will play it tomorrow' problem...

November 3, 2012 11:28:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

edit: double post magic

November 3, 2012 11:57:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting willie sanderson,

>> I suppose this could be Brad's cruel punishment for savescumming

I certainly hope so and this DOESN'T need to be fixed at all. WAD! This will teach those save scummers lol and a perfect balance to keep the AI fairly balanced vs the player.

Hope you're kidding?  People do occasionally save for purposes other than savescumming..

November 3, 2012 12:23:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope YOU'RE kidding. Real men play the game in a single sitting. And if the game crashes, it's your own fault for having a crappy computer stuffed with bloatware. RESTART!

November 3, 2012 12:38:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Loading a save game shouldn't finish projects. The AI has no idea whether you're coming back from a save. I'll see if I can reproduce that.

November 3, 2012 12:40:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just loaded up my latest game on 1.0 I had been playing. Played about 100 turns earlier this morning. Saved and exited to take a shower. Logged back in and next turn 2 wonder complete messages from the other civs. 

Loaded up the cheat command and ctrl u. Looked at all the cities around the world. Most of them had 1-4 buildings queued up. Click next turn, and everything in every queue in the world that wasn't a unit completed. 

Certainly explains why my score / pop / production keep falling further and further behind every time i quit and come back to play (usually play 20-50 turns at a time since I have two kids, on only a newborn). 

November 3, 2012 12:46:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, if you want my save file (large map, nearly full of cities), let me know where I can send it. 

Interestingly, I fired up a new game and was unable to reproduce the issue from within that game. Going back to my first save game though, I can reproduce the issue every time. That will make it trickier to find i bet!

November 3, 2012 3:18:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, just checked and after a load all AI buildings are completed, don't really feel like playing now knowing that each time I load my game after a session the AI gets free buildings... ah ignorance is bliss!

Anybody know if its a line I can change in some file that's causing this, dont feel like waiting for a patch for this Bug the rest I can live with for now.

November 3, 2012 3:39:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I wonder if that's how Boyne got owned?

It'd be interesting to see how the AI fares after this is fixed. Will it get consistently steamrolled? People are already saying it's too easy.

November 3, 2012 4:27:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The AI cheats really bad. Been playing a default normal game and the AI regularly insta-builds buildings and armies at little to no cost to itself. One turn I'm leading the faction power rankings and the next the AI is suddenly kicking in my door and proclaiming "I'm here to chew salted pork and kick ass...and I'm all out of salted pork". The AI sends endless waves of armies and eventually wins through attrition. It's killing my enjoyment of the game. I don't mind losing but this is ridiculous.

I'm not new to 4x games either. Played Civ, GalCiv, Age of wonders etc... maybe I just don't understand the ins and out of the game yet, but my history logs at the end of the game show that the AI suddenly out paces me by a large margin in only a few turns. Even if I am giving them the smack down.

It's also inconsistent as sometimes the AI seems brain dead. For example the yithril in one game had almost 3x the faction power as the next highest person on the list, but the next game they were dead last and fairly flat in all their graphs. basically the ai is all over the place and very inconsistent.

Hopefully this will all get tuned up over the month into something more enjoyable as the game seems fun when it's coming together. Also it was my understanding that in Stardocks games that "normal" was the ai playing it's best without cheating.

November 3, 2012 4:30:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Szasta,
Frogboy, if you want my save file (large map, nearly full of cities), let me know where I can send it. 

Interestingly, I fired up a new game and was unable to reproduce the issue from within that game. Going back to my first save game though, I can reproduce the issue every time. That will make it trickier to find i bet!

It's easiest just to post it in a Dropbox account and provide the link here.

November 3, 2012 8:40:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's the save game I mentioned above in case you are still trying to reproduce. This is running version 1.0

https://docs.google.com/folder/d/0B4CeKgM0pvuyd2l0ZmRSTXdqN3M/edit?pli=1

November 3, 2012 8:44:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've tried to reproduce this, but was unable to get the AI to finish the buildings for free. They rushed some of the buildings, but the bug may be that the AI is not charged for rushing building and units and on the reload the AI calculates that rushing the building is cost effective compared to what it's previous plans were.

November 3, 2012 9:09:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think that it is a rushing thing at all since the AI can pop multiple buildings in a city in a single turn.  Basically every building in the queue.

As a player, at least, I can only rush one item per production queue per turn.

Also there is never any gold deducted from the AI's treasury.

November 3, 2012 10:35:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's a couple of saves.  Not the game that I mentioned above, I couldn't find that.  Turns 42 and 43 on Novice.  Turn 42 everything is fine, turn 43 several cities have popped multiple buildings clearing their production queues of all buildings.  Interestingly Hope has not.  Maybe there's a clue there?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14105530/pop.zip

You can find the 3 AI's on the Western edge of the map.  The second save is to show what happened for me if it does not reproduce on your end.

Anecdotally I have seem this happen quite often when I have come back to restart a game after a break overnight.  Maybe there is a link.

November 3, 2012 10:50:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,

I've tried to reproduce this, but was unable to get the AI to finish the buildings for free. They rushed some of the buildings, but the bug may be that the AI is not charged for rushing building and units and on the reload the AI calculates that rushing the building is cost effective compared to what it's previous plans were.

It cant be rushing because the units in the building queue correctly stay there disregarding queue order, its just all the building improvements that get built!

November 4, 2012 1:47:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the AI completes all its builds when you save, then you better play until you finish all the wonders at least.  So should I leave the game running when I stop for the day?  This is a bad bug, except the AI cheats anyway.

November 4, 2012 2:57:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting feelotraveller,

I don't think that it is a rushing thing at all since the AI can pop multiple buildings in a city in a single turn.  Basically every building in the queue.

Wow  

I'm starting to understand why people felt cheated by the AI. I save/load a lot when gaming, this and all the corrupt saves reports are major deal breakers for me. Hope they get fixed. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001359   Page Render Time: