Please change salted pork to salted fish or meat

By on November 2, 2012 10:23:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

enoeraew37

Join Date 11/2005
+5

Salted pork is a create, cheap item to use to heal your champs instead of going Life tree..but pork isnt kosher/Halal and thus I cant use it. Please change this so the items are culturally acceptable to every player. THanks

Locked Post 185 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 2, 2012 10:26:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you're worried about being kosher/halal, then uninstall your game. Playing a game that features magic is not kosher/halal in itself.

November 2, 2012 10:29:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is the OP for real, or is he just a trollin'?

Heck, if we're going to eliminate pork from the game because it's "offensive" then why not eliminate the exploitation of animals entirely because it could offend vegans and animal rights activists?

November 2, 2012 10:30:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hater will hate..whos to say magic isnt evidence of G-d's presences in the world. I see magic everywhere IRL..doesnt mean I want to off myslef.

I didnt say its offensive..I said -i- cant use it.

November 2, 2012 10:31:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

So you can't have your game character eat it?  So, can not use magic or play as Resoln and get demons and stuff either?  I'm sorry, I'm not religious, so I didn't know that religious rules transferred into what your game characters do.  

November 2, 2012 10:33:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@OP go into CoreItems.xml in your installation directory and change these lines as you see fit:

<DisplayName>Salted Pork</DisplayName>

<Description>A rare type of salted pork that works wonders for a weary soul.  Eat it to heal 20 points of damage.</Description>

November 2, 2012 10:34:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My champ represents me and my hand making choice for them..it not ok for me and is not ok for those who represent me.

@ Heavenfall Thanks I'll do that now! They still should change it for the people who dont mod/have helpful forum people to rescue them

November 2, 2012 10:35:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Please change this so the items are culturally acceptable to every player. THanks

This is not an achievable goal. I for one am determined to eat only pork, otherwise I will not be allowed into Heaven according to my religion.

Edit: In addition, I am forbidden by my religion to consume goods that have had their names altered to be more culturally sensitive.

November 2, 2012 10:35:33 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Assuming the OP is real...

It's a virtual character. It's not you.

And besides ,5000 years ago, computer games hadn't been invented, so there are no specific rules about being non-kosher in a virtual world.

November 2, 2012 10:36:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is also an option at the shop to buy bread.  OR do what Heavanfall suggests and just change the name yourself.

November 2, 2012 10:37:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you ate only pork you'd die. Esp salted pork. Thats what happened to sailors who get scruvy. Too much of one food makes bad pandas. The bread comes later Hobbit. Is it that big a deal to call it salted meat?

November 2, 2012 10:40:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I demand a burqa or at least a headscarf on every female champ. They also should not be able to group with male champs.

This is urgent.

Thanks.

November 2, 2012 10:40:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
If you ate only pork you'd die. Esp salted pork. Thats what happened to sailors who get scruvy. The bread comes later Hobbit. Is it that big a deal to call it salted meat?

Apparently it is! Obviously I was glad I didn't have to make a topic like this because there was pork in the game and I was satisfied.

In order to satisfy your "cultural" needs they must break mine. Why do you think yours are worth more?

PS. My champions eat only Salted Pork in-game and have not gotten Scurvy yet. I don't think that's a real feature. They seem to be doing quite fine just eating Salted Pork.

November 2, 2012 10:42:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Part of Role Playing is making hard decisions for the character.  Just don't have them eat pork.  It presents a challenge in real life, it presents a challenge in the game.

Kind of like when I'm role playing a character as myself I won't do evil.

November 2, 2012 10:42:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
My champ represents me and my hand making choice for them..it not ok for me and is not ok for those who represent me.

@ Heavenfall Thanks I'll do that now! They still should change it for the people who dont mod/have helpful forum people to rescue them

I'm glad I don't have that issue, I could never play Crusader Kings.  The shit I have done in that game.  I kill babies, my wife, other people's children...so much fun.

November 2, 2012 10:45:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yuo can choose to cover heads or only group with men. Salted pork is the only early healing option.

The number of people who practice kosher/Halal homes outnumber the people who eat only pork by several billion to one. A wise business attemps to provide comfort to that majority of their customers when they can. This is an easy fix.

November 2, 2012 10:47:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
PS. My champions eat only Salted Pork in-game and have not gotten Scurvy yet. I don't think that's a real feature.
..well since we dont have boats we dont have sailors to call it Scurvy yet. We do have the land based team of Contagion and Dirge!

November 2, 2012 10:48:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
Yuo can choose to cover heads or only group with men. Salted pork is the only early healing option.

The number of people who practice kosher/Halal homes outnumber the people who eat only pork by several billion to one. A wise business attemps to provide comfort to that majority of their customers when they can. This is an easy fix.

Oh really, fanatics stepping on the minority vote. What a surprise! Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!

The number of people who find this suggestion ludicrous outnumber the people who find the suggestion important by about 7 billion to 1 billion.

November 2, 2012 10:51:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry, but I don't want pandering to religious types.  Anyone who can't separate what their video game character does from themselves, should not play games, goes for the insane or the religious.  Strange how you can justify using magic, but can't justify having your guy eat pork.  Seems really strange how that works.

November 2, 2012 10:52:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,

Your champs/sov also can choose not to eat pork. No other healing options? Tough luck, let' them die.

November 2, 2012 10:54:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Several thousand years ago there was a valid reason to not eat pork, because they had no idea of germ theory and if they ate bad pork they'd get sick. Now there is no valid reason, we have advanced medical practices and an understanding as to why it makes us sick. Nagging because of a word, which is just data in lines of code, is ridiculous. I bet there is no one else, or possibly maybe a handful at best, would notice and complain. I respect someone's religious nature, but I would rather have the game as intended then someone force their religious beliefs on me. 

Quoting Lord Xia,

Quoting enoeraew37, reply 7My champ represents me and my hand making choice for them..it not ok for me and is not ok for those who represent me.

I'm glad I don't have that issue, I could never play Crusader Kings.  The shit I have done in that game.  I kill babies, my wife, other people's children...so much fun.

Wow, I have killed a lot of babies too. I don't want them in my lineage. 

November 2, 2012 10:56:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting enoeraew37,
If you ate only pork you'd die. Esp salted pork. Thats what happened to sailors who get scruvy. Too much of one food makes bad pandas. The bread comes later Hobbit. Is it that big a deal to call it salted meat?

As a vegetarian, I find it offensive that there is salted "meat" in this game.  Please change it so everybody can enjoy this game.

bwwwaaaahahahahahahahaaaaa....   this topic is just too damn funny.

November 2, 2012 11:01:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice of heavenfall to help you out there. But I'm sorry to say that your premise is flawed when it comes to this game. For one, in the lore, it does not say that the animal, which they got the salted pork, does not come from an animal that did not chew its own cud or a split hoof. For example the salted pork doesn't look like pork to me, but more of a chicken.

I am also pretty sure that any potion or brews in the game are not Kosher. You will have a lot of editing to do to ensure that everything in this game is Kosher.

Your other argument about the sailors who died from scurvy, has nothing to do with the fact that they consumed pork. It was the lack of vitamin C in their diet, which at sea they can only bring so much fruit before they ran out. Hence the reason for scurvy. There are also other sailors who died at sea and never consumed pork and got scurvy, because they couldn't get the fruit that they required. Look at the sailors that ate fish.

November 2, 2012 11:06:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Emperor_Nero,
Several thousand years ago there was a valid reason to not eat pork, because they had no idea of germ theory and if they ate bad pork they'd get sick. Now there is no valid reason, we have advanced medical practices and an understanding as to why it makes us sick. Nagging because of a word, which is just data in lines of code, is ridiculous. I bet there is no one else, or possibly maybe a handful at best, would notice and complain. I respect someone's religious nature, but I would rather have the game as intended then someone force their religious beliefs on me.

I'd imagine that the real reason to not eat pork was, the guy who was running the religion had cattle and his competitor had swine. Poof, against religion to eat pork, problem solved.

November 2, 2012 11:18:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

From reading a previous thread started by the OP http://forums.elementalgame.com/425850 it may be that he/she is not only concerned that his/her hero is eating pork (a very simple solution to which heavenfall has allready supplied) but that our heroes are munching away on virtual pork. 

November 2, 2012 11:18:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,

Quoting Emperor_Nero, reply 21Several thousand years ago there was a valid reason to not eat pork, because they had no idea of germ theory and if they ate bad pork they'd get sick. Now there is no valid reason, we have advanced medical practices and an understanding as to why it makes us sick. Nagging because of a word, which is just data in lines of code, is ridiculous. I bet there is no one else, or possibly maybe a handful at best, would notice and complain. I respect someone's religious nature, but I would rather have the game as intended then someone force their religious beliefs on me.

I'd imagine that the real reason to not eat pork was, the guy who was running the religion had cattle and his competitor had swine. Poof, against religion to eat pork, problem solved.

True, but scientifically they had no clue about getting trichinosis or anything so it was rather intelligent to not eat pork. Your suggestions seems like a pretty good reason also.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: