[Suggestion] Make the AI steal unit designs

By on October 31, 2012 9:43:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kongdej

Join Date 01/2012
+58

I think the AI should take unit designs from other factions and apply in they're own setup, when I play say magnar and design a unit with full leather, 3 traits and wielding spears, it would be nice to see the AI field the same speartroop as altar, and resoln, this would ofcourse be a slightly complicated program since it would need to check for faction specific things, or just translate faction specific items (say one-handed spears from kraxis would be translated into 2 handed spears, dumping the shield).

This would not perfectly translate all unit builds, but due to the premade unit designs being rather poor it would help players like me that doesn't play each faction as often anymore, Its a major tedious job to HAVE to play each faction through to the end just to design a bunch of units for the AI to use, so it isn't as crippled in options.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 31, 2012 9:47:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you play enough the AI will.  Depending on who you are playing and have the AI play as.

October 31, 2012 9:54:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are so many ways to accomplish what Kongdej is suggesting.

1. Copy the other factions unit - only if you have all the appropriate equipment. Sometimes that substitution won't make a good unit without those traits. I don't think the AI would be equiped to make that decision. (but if it's possible, it would be nice)

2. Have designed unit packs for people to download.

3. Have a community of players decide to post their designed unit packs for download.

4. Add a unit designer in the workshop that loads up and allow players to design troops for any faction with all the tech upgrades / or specific tech upgrades as tick-marks on a research tree.

Of these 4 suggestions, I would really like to see 4 implemented.

October 31, 2012 9:56:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KingHobbit,

If you play enough the AI will.  Depending on who you are playing and have the AI play as.

That is the point, I know it uses my unit designs, but it will only use them as magnar, if I have played magnar...
And some factions are just too... Not my style for me to enjoy playing just so the AI have better units.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 31, 2012 10:38:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game did this at one point, and it became silly.  Altar had Urxen troops, and silly shit.  It would have to be done carefully.  What I would want instead is that the factions simply had more default troops.  Otherwise, you end up with everyone all having the same shit, and that's boring.

October 31, 2012 11:15:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
There are so many ways to accomplish what Kongdej is suggesting.

1. Copy the other factions unit - only if you have all the appropriate equipment. Sometimes that substitution won't make a good unit without those traits. I don't think the AI would be equiped to make that decision. (but if it's possible, it would be nice)

2. Have designed unit packs for people to download.

3. Have a community of players decide to post their designed unit packs for download.

4. Add a unit designer in the workshop that loads up and allow players to design troops for any faction with all the tech upgrades / or specific tech upgrades as tick-marks on a research tree.

Of these 4 suggestions, I would really like to see 4 implemented.

All of these are fantastic suggestions
I'm just too lazy to make all those units.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 31, 2012 11:50:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem with stealing designs from other factions is 2 folds:

1. Blood traits, some are just very good (different), and can alter the design by quite a bit (trogs)...

2. Unique Equipments... should be self explanatory. Better bows, axes, swords, no armor, etc...

Community unit packs is a good idea. I do support this, but do keep in mind that the AI WILL roll people left and right with those design. If people are having a hard time with the game as it is, just imagine what happens when the AI is fielding units designed by veteran players. If this is implemented, there needs to be some kind of "difficulty" tags that needs to be added to these design so that the AI won't pull them out and destroy newer players.

October 31, 2012 6:48:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kalin,
The problem with stealing designs from other factions is 2 folds:

1. Blood traits, some are just very good (different), and can alter the design by quite a bit (trogs)...

2. Unique Equipments... should be self explanatory. Better bows, axes, swords, no armor, etc...

You would have to make some intelligence when coding this part I know, it will take some time and some advanced thinking, it was also just a cry out to actually put in more unit designs in the core game in which I already said the game needed before release

I hope for some sort of unit design pack, while I agree a community pack might be difficult to handle for new players, just make it so they have to go and download it off the forum to start with. The reason I put the idea for the AI trying to leech off designs would be, sometimes it might even field a few poorly designed units, but it would feel more alive while trying to convert your great idea into its own units.
It would take some time to code up, that is true, if the devs can find a better use of they're time I at least hope they see this note, and patch the game with 6 more unit designs for each faction, preferably some unit designs that aren't rubbish. (I very very rarely use the predesigned units, have used a "Militia" in 1 out of 20 games, and a predesigned scout in 1 out of 10 games, and thats about it, I always find most designs lack traits, or focus, and some tactics are completely avoided in the predesigned unit section.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 31, 2012 8:47:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree.  6 or so well-balanced built-in units for all factions would make a huge difference!  Go Kondej!

November 1, 2012 3:08:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A unit designer linked to the factions would be a nice addition to the current workshop. I wonder why it isn`t there already. Would be nice to make custom factions totally unique, but i see a problem here. You`ll have to count in all the possible situations that random maps and faction AI will bring with them -  resources and tech priorities.

Personally i will love to spare few hours for creating various designs for my custom faction even if this will produce huge amounts of the unit types

EDITED:

Just realised that this can already be done via the cheats. Start a new game with a faction you want to provide the extra unit types and use a cheat that unlocks the whole techtree (if there is such a cheat). Design as many units as you want. The next time you`ll play the game against that faction - it should have those designs available to them.

November 1, 2012 5:34:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's hard to be AI these days....

and the programmer behind AI intelligence ...I wouldn't be in his skin..

Enter MP - solution for such problems...

And, where is the time limit cancelation?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: