Where to Upload Mods?

By on October 29, 2012 12:11:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LazyWacKo

Join Date 10/2012
+1

Is there a specific site to upload mods to for FE such as the Nexus sites for oblivion etc?  or are we confined to just using places like rapidshare?  If so maybe someone will start up a dedicate FE mod site.  I would if i had the money to do so.

Locked Post 10 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 29, 2012 12:27:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think we need a larger community for something like that. The game is going to grow slowly in player numbers over the next year. Maybe in six months we should look at something like this. Until then, the threads in the mod forum will have to suffice.

October 29, 2012 5:05:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Something like a mod db page ? If things go bad)

October 29, 2012 6:01:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If stardock aren't going to run it themselves, I'd be up for putting my mods somewhere else. Right now I have my stuff on Dropbox, but it's only a matter of time before I get those public links suspended for using too much bandwidth.

Edit: Dropbox caps at 20gb uploads per day, and Stormworld is 30mb, so that's 680 uploads per day before I get capped.

October 29, 2012 3:45:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would be willing to offer up some webspace and a subdomain if someone else would be willing to put the time into putting the actually download page up and uploading everything.

October 29, 2012 4:46:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem is bandwidth really. It's going to be a lot. Yesterday Stormworld was downloaded around 200 times. That's 6gb in one day. I plan on using at least another 10mb, and add another 30mb for Goetia and you're looking at a 70mb download which hopefully will be downloaded a t least a hundred times a day. And that's just Stormworld with Goetia included, one upload.

The point would be to not have to worry about stuff like this. Whether there's 1 gb uploaded in a month, or 1000gb, the site should be running.

Then there's the question of if the site's going to stay up for the next 5 years or so. And who controls if the switch gets flipped. For those reasons a private solution is probably a bad idea.

I really wish Stardock would help us out here.

October 29, 2012 5:46:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have an unlimited bandwidth plan.  I host hundreds of mods for the game Freedom Force.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Also the site is mine, it's been up for 5 or so years already, and barring emergencies, won't go down without some kind of warning.  The offer's there if anyone wants it.

October 29, 2012 6:21:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting catwhowalksbyhimself,
I have an unlimited bandwidth plan.  I host hundreds of mods for the game Freedom Force.  Shouldn't be a problem.

Also the site is mine, it's been up for 5 or so years already, and barring emergencies, won't go down without some kind of warning.  The offer's there if anyone wants it.

Ahhh Freedom Force vs. The Third Reich... now that was a fun game.  I sure wish they'd do another...

Onto the point.  A centralized place would be good, but I would be just as happy with good documentation and better, refined editors.

October 30, 2012 10:23:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why not create a central hub with Torrents for the mods?
I don't know if enough people are into playing FE with mods, but that would certainly be a completely free and distributed way of sharing files.

October 30, 2012 5:19:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What happened to the "vault" stardock had for WoM? Cant they use that?

October 30, 2012 5:36:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting JSchoeck,
Why not create a central hub with Torrents for the mods?
I don't know if enough people are into playing FE with mods, but that would certainly be a completely free and distributed way of sharing files.

I wish more folk would do this.  It might seem like a nightmare to manage to weed out copyright-infringing torrents folk might upload, but if Stardock really wanted to kick mod-friendliness up to the next level, it could host mod .torrent seeds for its games.  Unfortunately, as it stands, I can't even upload and attach screenshots, I have to use Photobucket. :/

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000250   Page Render Time: