City location and Specialization

Can someone help clarify this for me?

By on October 23, 2012 8:04:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ravenstrike

Join Date 08/2003

Hopefully this is a simple answer.

Does the tile yields on the location's for cities effect that cities potential or just the starting resources?

I just started a game with three cities with the idea of turning one into a city, another a fortress and another a conclave but unsure how to optimally specialize and if this actually matter's.

For instance I have a city that had 4 production and 2 grain. which I was going to make a fortress, but am I shooting myself in the foot due to the low grain for population?

Either in terms of this or some general advice on how to go about settling or specialization would be appreciated.

and apologies in advance if this is covered somewhere else.

Locked Post 5 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 23, 2012 8:22:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That is a very difficult question to ask...

Generally speaking, 4 production starts you off with 20 production which is great for building units with...but it is also great for building towns with.

Having 2-3 essence can also be really good, especially if you are Pariden. Does that necessarily mean it needs to be a conclave? Perhaps not...Fortresses with some of those per essence bonuses applied to units can make for some devastating strikes.

Same goes for food. Towns generally prosper the most from food, but I'm sure there are cases where conclaves and fortresses benefit too.

Going to have to play with it yourself.

October 23, 2012 8:22:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The tile yields are very significant for a city all through the game. Low food cities don't get to high levels until very late game, and it takes a long time to finish buildings, troops and pioneers for low material cities.

Personally I prefer starting with high production and lower food, as it lets you get a better start, and higher food places can be settled later.

There are some nice city enchantments (which are better with higher essence) that give bonuses to trained troops, so I like to have a fortress with good essence, and reasonable production.

Conclaves seem to benefit from essence too, and it is good to have research.

Towns can benefit your entire empire - they have special buildings that increase food output for all your cities. I tend to default to towns if the location does not have good essence.

Having high grain helps the city level up, but is not vital. As tech increases, and as your number of towns increase, the limited amount of grain produces more and more food, and so the maximum population increases. But the population requirements to get to city levels 3, 4 and 5 mean it is going to take a while, even with good grain. Having good production for your first city is nice, as you get to produce pioneers and other things faster at the start.

October 23, 2012 9:28:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hiii

Does the tile yields on the location's for cities effect that cities potential or just the starting resources?

The tile yields for the tile on which you place your city is the only tile yields your city is going to get, although it can gain certain bonuses from natural resources in close proximity, or special city enchantments.

Either in terms of this or some general advice on how to go about settling or specialization would be appreciated.

How you want to settle and specialize is of course entirely up to you, I tend to find that essence is the base of my concerns for my own specializations.

It really depends on what your current needs are (lategame) or what kind of game you are aiming for (Early game).

High grain will do you little good since it will take a massive effort to get a city up beyond level 3, so I tend to look upon grain as a "side effect", that said both a level 2 and a level 3 city grants increased Gildar income and more base research.

High materials will make the city construct both buildings and units faster, this is key to actually getting your empire anywhere. If you have high materials you will likely out-produce your opponents, but the quality of your cities and therefore your army too will be slightly poorer, you will be forced to construct buildings that boost gildar income and research income if you aim for an empire-wide high material base, but I find it worth it.

High essence gives you a flexibility to boost each city further into its own specialization, A town with high essence will gain a significant bonus to gildar income (With the right city enchantment), a fortress with high essence will produce higher quality troops (or you can use essence to boost production), and a conclave will gain a bonus to research, and whatever it needs (I don't recall a lot of research spells right now), conclaves do get to produce a fair bit of mana with high essence).

I find that the first high essence spot with 3 materials or more is an "instant" fortress location, so I can switch the city enchantments between production, or the aura's that boost trained units attributes.

My normal setup:
Find one 3 essence spot with 3 grain 3 materials (or something similar, high material and essence is key), to construct 1 "monster" of a fortress to produce units.
Rest of the locations around the globe with 2 or more essence I build conclaves upon (They can increase essence when they become level 3), these will give a boost to research and mana.
All spare locations becomes towns, or the occasional fortress (Since fortresses gain some buildings that boost city defense). The towns in this case will give a bonus to food to all my other cities, and produce some gildar. With this setup I am not roaming the map with massive armies but rather key armies of powerful units.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 23, 2012 10:32:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kongdej,
Hiii

My normal setup:
Find one 3 essence spot with 3 grain 3 materials (or something similar, high material and essence is key), to construct 1 "monster" of a fortress to produce units.
Rest of the locations around the globe with 2 or more essence I build conclaves upon (They can increase essence when they become level 3), these will give a boost to research and mana.
All spare locations becomes towns, or the occasional fortress (Since fortresses gain some buildings that boost city defense). The towns in this case will give a bonus to food to all my other cities, and produce some gildar. With this setup I am not roaming the map with massive armies but rather key armies of powerful units.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

this is the same general strategy I use.  Also, If there is an area that I expect will be on my nation's border, I will try to choose a tile with higher production to make it into a fortress, both to get troops to battle quicker if I need to and defend my borders more easily. 

October 23, 2012 11:58:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

great answer's and pretty much what I was looking for here, thanks guys.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000031   Page Render Time: