Windows XP users: Getting better performance on FE

By on October 20, 2012 11:57:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

If you're running a 32-bit Windows XP machine and would like to significantly improve the performance of Fallen Enchantress (and probably other games as well) you can configure it to see more memory than the default 2GB.

Here's how:

http://www.gidhome.com/gid3gb/index.html

Specifically:

Configuring MS Windows XP: add the flag /3GB to the Boot.ini file. To do this just open the Control panel, click on the System icon, on the Advanced options panel, then press the Configuration button of the Start and recuperation section. In this window click on the Edit button inside the System start section and the Notepad will pop-up with the Boot.ini file opened. In this file there should be a line like this:

Before:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

just add the /3GB flag at the end, like:

After:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB

Now save file and reboot

Pinned, Locked Post 11 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 20, 2012 12:02:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is what I recommended over a month ago in that thread where you were taking a poll to see who was using 32-bit XP, 64-bit XP, and Win7.  Asked you if you knew about the 3gb switch at the time.

I can say from personal experience that this does work, but it requires a game that will use that RAM if available, and it also causes stability issues for the OS in general.  If you're going to release extra large maps, I'll be happy to use it, since I've got the memory.  And at some point in the near future--funds permitting--we'll upgrade to a machine with more RAM, more cores, and Win7.

October 21, 2012 12:04:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Another good tool I recommend to all gamers, but especially those with 32-bit systems, is Iobit's Game Booster 3.  It analyzes your computer's ongoing processes, and then makes recommendations for stopping those which won't matter while your full attention is on a game.  Once you decide which recommendations to keep, you launch the game--and Game Booster closes those processes, first.  It then runs your game, and after you've finished, restarts the processes it previously stopped.  This can give you back a hefty chunk of memory, especially if you've got a fair number of terminate-stay resident programs going in the background.

And it's free, too.  You can check it out, here:

http://www.iobit.com/gamebooster.html

October 23, 2012 2:20:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Or you can just download this: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

Open it, select your .exe, and it does everything for you.

October 23, 2012 2:37:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting bbr91,
Or you can just download this: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

This seems to work only for 32-bit applications, not for 32-bit OS. Correct?

October 23, 2012 3:29:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,
Quoting bbr91, reply 3Or you can just download this: http://www.ntcore.com/4gb_patch.php

This seems to work only for 32-bit applications, not for 32-bit OS. Correct?

Thats going to do nothing for FE as it already sets that flag.

October 23, 2012 3:48:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the tip

October 23, 2012 7:16:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,
Thats going to do nothing for FE as it already sets that flag.

Oh sorry then. I know I use it with great success with Paradox titles, and I just assumed it's the same issue. My mistake.

October 24, 2012 4:12:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

now that i changed to win 7

November 30, 2012 1:05:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Configuring MS Windows XP: add the flag /3GB to the Boot.ini file. To do this just open the Control panel, click on the System icon, on the Advanced options panel, then press the Configuration button of the Start and recuperation section. In this window click on the Edit button inside the System start section and the Notepad will pop-up with the Boot.ini file opened. In this file there should be a line like this:

Before:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect

just add the /3GB flag at the end, like:

After:

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect /3GB

This actually made my game unable to open, gave me a message about being unable to initialize the display. I deleted the entry and it worked correctly again though.

December 2, 2012 11:09:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

People might be better off maximizing memory they have, given the relative instability that can result from the 3 GB switch.  You can turn off services that are unneeded while gaming, such as Routing and Remote Access, and processes, such as contact managers and background defraggers.  There are several utility packages (System Mechanic comes to mind) that make this easier to do, but Gamebooster 3, which I mentioned above, does it as well, and you can certainly do it on your own.  You just have to be careful, and think through in advance what services aren't needed.

December 2, 2012 4:51:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,
People might be better off maximizing memory they have, given the relative instability that can result from the 3 GB switch.  You can turn off services that are unneeded while gaming, such as Routing and Remote Access, and processes, such as contact managers and background defraggers.  There are several utility packages (System Mechanic comes to mind) that make this easier to do, but Gamebooster 3, which I mentioned above, does it as well, and you can certainly do it on your own.  You just have to be careful, and think through in advance what services aren't needed.

Just to verify... I tried doing the suggestion from the original post, and it had VERY undesirable effects on my XP system. To be clear, I am NOT blaming anyone for those problems, just that they occurred. I followed the simple directions, making the adjustments, saving the file as asked... and the system went into a complete fit. Desktop icons disappeared, programs stopped working, it was an absolute nightmare. Simple solution, just undo the entire process. Several re-boots and file checks, everything is back as it should be.

My advice, DO NOT use the original post suggestion.

Game Booster 3 works wonders. Simple install, simple interface, great results. Best of all... any changes that you ask it to do, all get reversed when it is shut off. There is no remembering where the file is that you adjusted, what was the code that you typed, waiting on re-boot after re-boot, missing icons or programs getting monkeyed up... just simply on when you need it, off when you don't.

My criticism isn't meant to come across as harsh towards the original poster... but my experience with the suggestion... was less than pleasant.

Have a blessed day,

-kmkenpo

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000297   Page Render Time: