Countdown: 8 days to release

The morphable world

By on October 15, 2012 5:02:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

One of the changes we've made for the final public build is that we've greatly reduced the costs or raising and lowering land.

Now, you can't use these spells to create mountains or make islands. That's not their purpose.  What they can do, however is create shorter routes through mountain regions (lower land) and connect players to other parts of the world that aren't normally accessible (raise land).

This will become a particularly big deal after release when we start releasing map packs to supplement the random maps. In these map packs, the players (AI and human) will be able to explore larger areas if they make use of these spells (i.e. goodies and special quests hidden behind mountains OR by island hopping).

Here's a video that shows this off:

Elemental: Fallen Enchantress will be released on October 23!

Locked Post 60 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 15, 2012 5:06:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

woo terratransforming!

October 15, 2012 5:15:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 Woo! Terraforming! Thanks Brad. F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 

October 15, 2012 5:21:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When you lower lands next to your city from mountains to hills to plains, are they suppose to become usable at hills or plains?  Right now it seems only plains are usable.  Was also wondering when you build your city and you slowly expand towards either forests or river/water, will it be implemented that you can then build the appropriate buildings for those(like the logging camp or dock types)?  Right now im not able to do that unless I start right next to them. 

Grats on the hard work and only 8 days...wow unreal how time flies when you are having fun!

October 15, 2012 5:24:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This will become a particularly big deal after release when we start releasing map packs to supplement the random maps.

This sounds cool. I would love to hear more about the campaign in one these Countdown vids.

...and, can we have 0.984 now.

October 15, 2012 5:25:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

but it is only seven days to the 23rd as the date is the 16th here

harpo

October 15, 2012 5:27:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Two questions...

Does the AI use these spells? And if so, can they be disabled in case I want a game where the AI does not build bridges to everywhere?

Also, will the pathfinding algorithm work with it? Because back in WoM I many times lowered a mountain range to make a shortcut and the pathfinder would still circle the whole thing, even after I expanded the mountain pass to like 4 squares wide...

Thanks in advance.

October 15, 2012 5:30:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey, my calendar says it's monday! I bet the calendars in the Stardock office say the same thing! Hint hint!

October 15, 2012 5:33:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

but MY calendar  says it is TUESDAY, where is my FE???

harpo

October 15, 2012 5:43:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone know when FE will be released?

October 15, 2012 5:51:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do not recall this mechanic in a 4x  game since Alpha centauri.

October 15, 2012 5:51:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

only derek & the frog know, we just have to NAG till we get it

harpo

October 15, 2012 5:59:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ashbery76,

I do not recall this mechanic in a 4x  game since Alpha centauri.

Yeah !  And that was one of my favorite features in Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri : Terraforming ...

And now we have  Magic Terraforming !       

Caveat:  However, my Enthusiasm is tempered a little by my fear that the Devs have made the Raise Land and Lower Land spells too cheap.  There is a lot of discussion on this subject going on right now (and not a consensus, per se); but I do hope the Devs are paying attention, and carefully weighing the Beta Testers' views on this subject.  See, for example:

http://forums.elementalgame.com/433864

October 15, 2012 6:03:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

only derek & the frog know, we just have to NAG till we get it

Because nagging developers for something always works.

Why am I reminded that one definition of insanity is doing something that fails an endless number of times?

October 15, 2012 6:05:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There has been a few threads on this already, but I've been morphing land to my liking, when needed, when the price was 50 mana per cast. At 5 mana per cast, this is going to be pure abuse.

October 15, 2012 6:17:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

did I understand the post correctly... The AI will use these spells?

October 15, 2012 6:20:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it just me or does it seem like there was a bug where you couldn't move onto the continent from the newly created land bridge.

October 15, 2012 6:21:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting parrottmath,
did I understand the post correctly... The AI will use these spells?

I sure hope so.  

October 15, 2012 6:22:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

There has been a few threads on this already, but I've been morphing land to my liking, when needed, when the price was 50 mana per cast. At 5 mana per cast, this is going to be pure abuse.

I could not agree more !            I  love  these two spells; but they shouldn't be too cheap !

Note to UmbralAngel:  I have used "raise land" very effectively, to create a path to cross an inland body of water.  I once had a map with a large inland lake.  It was large in circumference, but fairly narrow at one point (4 tiles).  I was on one side and an enemy AI that was weaker than I was on the other side.  The edges of the lake were heavily forested, so getting around it was painfully slow!  But by casting raise land, just 4 times, I created a terrific short cut across the lake.  I could then much more easily attack, and capture, the enemy AI's city.  It also gave me a short cut entry-point to the rest of AI's empire.

Which brings me back to GFireflyE's observation ... I really like these two spells, but I consider them very powerful; and I think they should remain fairly expensive.  Otherwise, they will just will be woefully abused, and lose their Fun element ...

October 15, 2012 6:49:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You're certainly free to make the spell cost whatever you'd like.  Personally, it's fun to use the spell.  If it cost more, I wouldn't use it.  If you worry you'll abuse it then increase the cost to 10, 100, 1 million or whatever it takes.

October 15, 2012 6:50:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ratatosk7,
Does anyone know when FE will be released?

I swear I read that it will be released in 8 days. I just wish I could remember where. 

October 15, 2012 6:53:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
You're certainly free to make the spell cost whatever you'd like.  Personally, it's fun to use the spell.  If it cost more, I wouldn't use it.  If you worry you'll abuse it then increase the cost to 10, 100, 1 million or whatever it takes.

Thanks for making Stardock's offcial view clear on this matter.

Pretty much settles any further need for debate.

The rest can continue on the modders forums.

October 15, 2012 6:56:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

another post by the frog stated the release date to be the 23rd of october 2012,

BUT

where in the world will they choose the 23rd from?

harpo

October 15, 2012 6:59:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool!

October 15, 2012 7:12:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

Quoting Ratatosk7, reply 10Does anyone know when FE will be released?

I swear I read that it will be released in 8 days. I just wish I could remember where. 

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 15, 2012 11:28:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have missed the last couple reports, but I recently read what RPS and Gamespy put out about the game. Are any of those things going to be addressed? Those are important factors that the game is missing. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000172   Page Render Time: