[eUTIL] Race Editor 0.45

By on October 5, 2012 11:08:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

impinc

Join Date 07/2010
+30

FE Editor

Current Release v0.45 (beta)

Download: (ModNexus) http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/mods/10/

WinCustomize: http://www.wincustomize.com/explore/elemental_fallen_enchantress/8/

Alternate Download: http://goo.gl/6UQam

NOTE: The download now contains a text file, and an exe. Just click the exe to run. If you have an operating system other than Windows, let me know, and I will post a link for the runnable jar file.

For now, this is starting as a Race editor (Race Type). It will include an editor for creating/editing RaceTypes, Factions, and units. 

Don't mind the ugly UI for now, I'm still just getting things operational:

Image shown has units contained in Heavenfall's great mod Stormworld . I set the mod directory to \Mods\Stormworld_ExpandedFactions.

At the moment, it pulls units from the core game, so you can just easily assign current units to your new race. The idea here is to make a starting base for your new race (it's much easier to clone your new race from another premade one, then modify it from there). 

All units are then cloned from the selections you make, (in the above sample, everything is from the Altarian race) then are modified to be unique to your new race (changing racetype, and modeltype, internalnames, etc).

Most of the other stuff (like weapons, armor, mounts) is just taking the artdef and adding the new race's modeltype to the list of supported ones (it only picks those items of the race you selected).

Also, for the starting unit selector, if you hover over the checkbox, it will show you the unit's internalname (which contains the unit's race).

The editor exports 12 files right now, to try to help organize things:

newrace_animations.xml 

newrace_coreabilities.xml

newrace_artgameitems.xml 

newrace_clothes.xml 

newrace_coreunits.xml 

newrace_eyes.xml 

newrace_hair.xml 

newrace_heads.xml 

newrace_mounts.xml 

newrace_otherartitems.xml 

newrace_raceType.xml 

newrace_skins.xml

If there's something you'd like to see in here, let me know. 

Imp Inc.

Notes about how FEEditor scans files (Mainly for other modders):

The editor scans the selected mod folder for all xml files. A lot of the things gathered by the editor depend on Stardock's naming convention (ex: Blood traits start with Blood_ in their internalname). 

Bloodlines:

The editor searches all xml files in the mod folder (recursively) for the AbilityBonus tag, then see's if the internal name starts with Blood_ . Right now, this is case sensitive. The description is then used for the hover over tooltip for the dropdown box.

Shopkeeperunits/SageUnits:

Scans the xml files for unittype containers, and checks if the internalname starts with "Shopkeeper_" or "Sage_".

Generic Sov/Units:

Same as above , only this works a little different. It checks if the internalname contains the appropriate tags (rather than having to start with it) (ex "Generic" "Male" "Sovereign" ).

StartingUnits:

Scans xml files for unittype containers, and checks to see if the unit has the IsStartingUnit node set to 1. The display name of the unit is displayed in the hover over tooltip in the selector.

Skins/Eyes/Heads/Clothes/etc

Coming soon.

Release notes:

0.1 - Initial beta release

0.2 - Fixed bug where other races didn't have heads. Recoded how they are saved out (they now have their own heads defined, rather than trying to add the new racetype to the current in game ones). This also applies to a few other things.

- Fixed mounts as well. Now, you don't get extra mounts appearing in the tech tree.

0.3 - Added menu option to set the output directory. If none is set, it defaults to MyDocs/FEEditor.

- Fixed bug in core unit exporter which was causing starting units that had a prereq to not show up for the new race.

- Added menu option to set a mod directory. This is not yet fully implemented.

- Added combobox for selecting bloodline. This will clone the selected bloodline, and adjust all core units

to have this "new" bloodline. (All the internal names get changed over. You may still want to tweak the descriptions,

and/or display name.)

0.31 - Added a check when opening to make sure the program can find the files in the selected directory

0.35 - Changed unit displays from their display name, to their internal name. You can add one mod folder, and it will scan through it recursively (this may elongate loading time though). 

v0.40
- The jar file is now contained in an exe, to make running it easier for everyone.
- A splash screen was added while the program loads.
- When a mod directory is chosen, the app will now restart to rescan for all xml nodes.
- Bloodline description box added on right hand side.
- The xml files are no longer displayed in the panel on the right hand side.

- Starting Unit Selector window now scrolls at a faster speed.

v0.41

- Fixed issue with units being exported (it was using the wrong units to copy from).

v0.45

- Iron Golems will now show up for your new races.

- Juggernauts and Henchman will as well. If either of these are selected, you will get an additional two files exported:

newrace_techdefs.xml

newrace_techtree.xml

NOTE: As this only exports the racetype right now, after you create your new faction based on your new race, you will have to edit the new faction's xml file. You simply have to change the TechTree tag to TechTree_newrace (obviously newrace is the name of your new race). Once this is done, your faction will use the new tech tree, which contains the new techs (juggs, and/or hench). This is ONLY required when selecting one, or both of these two types of units.

Pinned, Locked Post 68 Replies +4 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Praylak
Novalith
jshores
DsRaider
October 31, 2012 6:54:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, I uploaded 0.31. It just checks for the CoreAbilites.xml file in the selected directory. If it can't find it, you will be prompted to try selecting again. Let me know if the file doesn't look like that on your system (including case).

October 31, 2012 8:49:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well no dice.  I even tried shoving the jar file into the game directory.  No dice. 

October 31, 2012 9:09:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

honestly don't know WHY.  But manual compilation over here worked.  I mean it should have of course.  But before then, why not then too. 

Here's a screenshot.  I changed directory to "downloads" where firefox stores stuff i just downloaded by default.  But why double click no work when it has the nice little Java icon on it?  *shrug*

Link: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/10708974/ManualWorked.png

Anyways it works man.  Bottom line.  Thanks for a great editor.  Thanks for helping. 

October 31, 2012 9:09:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Supreme Shogun,
Well no dice.  I even tried shoving the jar file into the game directory.  No dice. 

That is just weird. It just doesn't come up at all?

If you could try one more thing, I'd appreciate it. Do this in a command prompt:

"java -verbose -jar FEEditor0.3.jar > log.txt"

Then post the log. Hopefully this will show what errors are happening. 

EDIT: Doh, just saw your post above. Glad it's working, though it bothers me that the double click doesn't work.

October 31, 2012 9:19:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I ran that new command line but log was empty.  I guess cause it's working if done manually now.  That's good enough for me. 

Again awesome work.  Thanks for helping.

EDIT:

November 2, 2012 12:50:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't get it to work either when I double click. I have it in my downloads directory also. It did give me an option to extract the files so I did that and put them in my FE mods directory. Still didn't work when I ran the game. Is it supposed to come up in the game or is there an exe file? I didn't see any exe file in the extracted files, but I gather that's not the way to go anyway. Shogun, what did you do to get it to work? Will the editor allow me to use Heavenfall's races, without his faction info, if I ever get it to work?

November 2, 2012 1:34:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mywhiskey,
I can't get it to work either when I double click. I have it in my downloads directory also. It did give me an option to extract the files so I did that and put them in my FE mods directory. Still didn't work when I ran the game. Is it supposed to come up in the game or is there an exe file? I didn't see any exe file in the extracted files, but I gather that's not the way to go anyway. Shogun, what did you do to get it to work? Will the editor allow me to use Heavenfall's races, without his faction info, if I ever get it to work?

It shouldn't extract files at all. The jar file is an executable java file. What extracted files (winzip, winrar, etc)? 

To run it manually, run this in a command prompt (in the directory you downloaded it to):

java -jar FEEditor0.3.1.jar

EDIT: No, it doesn't run in the game. And as of right now, it doesn't completely pull in mod folders. You can set one mod directory, and it will pull some stuff (like starting units), but not everything yet. This is still being worked on.

November 2, 2012 6:19:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, I uploaded this to the wincustomize site. I've also zipped it, and included the FEEditor.bat file. So you can just double click on that file, if double clicking on the jar file doesn't work for you.

EDIT: I also put an alternate download link. I noticed that if I wasn't logged in, I couldn't see the page (on wincustomize). This could be just until it officially gets approved.

November 2, 2012 8:35:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

After messing around with adding a mod folder, I think I should change how things are displayed for the units (generic units, sovereigns, shopkeeper, etc). Since most of those display names don't matter, it's probably best to display by internal name instead. (Stormworld generic units have a lot of duplicate display names, as it's never displayed in game). This will make it easier when selecting units (instead of seeing 8 Urxen Sovereigns).

November 3, 2012 7:43:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded v0.35.

0.35 - Changed unit displays from their display name, to their internal name. You can add one mod folder, and it will scan through it recursively (this may elongate loading time though).

Note that Stormworld's Blood trait descriptions are very long, and most get cut off in the tooltip.

Coming in v0.4

Wrap the jar file into a windows exe file for ease of use. This will eliminate people having problems double clicking the jar. The zip file will also contain the jar file (Java is platform independant, so if you're on Linux, Mac OS, you can run the jar file, as long as you have Java installed).

November 3, 2012 8:35:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice work so far.  I doubt I will ever use something like this but it is awesome that you are putting it out there for people to use.  

November 4, 2012 4:56:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Uploaded version 0.40:

v0.40 
- The jar file is now contained in an exe, to make running it easier for everyone. 
- A splash screen was added while the program loads. 
- When a mod directory is chosen, the app will now restart to rescan for all xml nodes.
- Bloodline description box added on right hand side.
- The xml files are no longer displayed in the panel on the right hand side.

- Starting Unit Selector window now scrolls at a faster speed.

If anyone is using something other than Windows, let me know, and I will put up a link to the runnable jar file.

November 8, 2012 4:16:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Step one: I point Stormworld in doc/games/FE/mods/SWfactions
Step two: i scratch my head "coreabilities missing"
Step three: i copy coreabilities from data english
Step four: freezed process makes me wait 2 minuts
Step five: An error has occured.

What have i missed Dr. ?

November 8, 2012 4:22:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting elruskovii,
Step one: I point Stormworld in doc/games/FE/mods/SWfactions
Step two: i scratch my head "coreabilities missing"
Step three: i copy coreabilities from data english
Step four: freezed process makes me wait 2 minuts
Step five: An error has occured.

What have i missed Dr. ?

Are you setting the Mod folder to Stormworld, or the FE directory? When you first run the app, it wants the core game installed data\English directory. Then, you should be able to set the stormworld mod folder (Go to File > Mod Directory). Delete the my docs\FEEditor\data.dat file and restart the app (it will ask for the data\English directory again). It sounds like you pointed that to the stormworld directory, which causes the problems (it needs the core game's installed data\English directory to build all the xml).

November 8, 2012 4:29:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, i got it! Thank you !

November 8, 2012 4:46:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting elruskovii,
Ok, i got it! Thank you !

You're welcome!

One thing I should warn people about though. Right now, the editor doesn't scan in modded skins/heads/artitems. So, it's probably best to not select any of the units from stormworld until I can get this added in. If you do select any of the units, you may experience some weird things, depending on the circumstance. They should have access to all the appropriate gear, but it may look really bad, as some of the models in stormworld are quite different than the two base game models.

The next thing on my list to get done is to enable the edit function, so you can edit a previously saved racetype. I'm thinking of perhaps working on the unit editor next. Any suggestions on what everyone would like to see in it?

November 8, 2012 5:03:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Once I create a race and save it, how do I play it in-game?

I moved the files to the Mods folder, and I have enable Mods set in the Options. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong

November 8, 2012 5:06:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sadfsdfasdfsd,

Once I create a race and save it, how do I play it in-game?

I moved the files to the Mods folder, and I have enable Mods set in the Options. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong

This just creates the race (for now). Since you have already put the files in the mods folder, and checked use mods, you can go to the workshop, and use the faction creator to create a new faction with your newly created race.

November 8, 2012 5:11:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ah that worked. thank you! Awesome tool!!!

November 8, 2012 5:14:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't see Unit_Catapult in the coreunits.xml for any custom Race I make... I checked under all the tabs (Archer, Defender, etc.) --- any idea where I am missing it? Or, is it a universally-available unit, so there is no need to define it in here?

November 8, 2012 5:32:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting sadfsdfasdfsd,

I don't see Unit_Catapult in the coreunits.xml for any custom Race I make... I checked under all the tabs (Archer, Defender, etc.) --- any idea where I am missing it? Or, is it a universally-available unit, so there is no need to define it in here?

I overlooked that one, but it should be ok. The only prereq for it is the seige weapons tech, and it's not like you have to worry about supportedunitmodeltype, or anything like that. Let me know if it doesn't show up in game (can't test right now).

November 8, 2012 9:46:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ACK! I just realized after some testing that it's not exporting things properly. While it seems to work, you'll probably notice some strange things like models or animations not showing up. I'll get this fixed over the weekend.

November 9, 2012 12:41:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rgr, waiting for updates X)

November 9, 2012 12:57:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, I was able to fix it fairly quickly. 0.41 had been uploaded (use the alternate download for now until it shows up on wincustomize).

November 13, 2012 2:53:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hello everyone:

I have been messing around with the Race editor and I have been trying to make a Trog faction for the Kingdom side. However when I create the faction and I get into the game the Juggernaut technology is not showing up in the Tech tree. How does one add the unique units to a faction like Henchmen, Iron Golems , Juggernauts, and Slaves? And can you combine the units in a faction, like having a faction that can train Henchmen and Iron Golems?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000296   Page Render Time: