[BUG][0.982] - HUGE, gamebreaking autoresolve bug

By on October 5, 2012 1:47:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ins2

Join Date 03/2011
+4

This has been posted before in the general forums (see link: http://forums.elementalgame.com/432819) but has not been addressed, and can easily be the single bug that ruins the playability of this game:

When a battle is autoresolved (either Player vs AI or AI vs AI) NOBODY (neither side) can use magic during the battle.

This means, among other things:

- being on constant autoresolve, fighter-based AI can win ALL fights against magic stuff (dark wizards etc.) with 0 effort

- magical-wielding AI has NO chance when fighting monsters or other AI, even against weak opponents

- it provides an OBVIOUS cheat for the player - i was fighting a dark wizard and getting slaughtered, but if I restart the battle and hit "auto-resolve" I win 100% of the time

- this would also explain the insane levels some AI sovereigns get to in the beginning of the game (fight against tough magic-wielding monsters and autoresolve, so they win)

This problem of course gets more serious as more and more monsters rely on their magic attacks (imprison etc.) so auto-resolve becomes a more unbalancing issue for the AI and a more attractive cheat for the player.

The obvious solution is, as recommended several times, to have TWO auto-resolve modes: the standard one, used throughout the game, which uses magic and consumes mana, and a selectable one (with another button) which allows easy battles to be resolved without the PLAYER (and not their opponent) using magic...

Could someone from Stardock PLEASE acknowledge this bug and put it in the VERY HIGH PRIORITY list to fix? If the game is released with this not addressed, it ruins the game in sooo many ways...

Locked Post 13 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 5, 2012 4:55:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've got to agree with you. I like the items in the 0.982 change list BUT I'm a bit disappointed that few of the issues I think are serious have been addressed. Maybe when I play through I'll find that they have fixed more bugs than are listed in 0.982 but if not then I'm very concerned...

October 5, 2012 5:09:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This should be addressed if the AI is not using magic in auto-resolve.

October 5, 2012 6:51:24 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Unit abilities as well are skipped?. I had fought again level 5 bear (probably some specific bear but i cant recall) that had skill wchich allowed him to attack until he misses. All character were killed. I've reloaded game and used auto-resolve. One of my heroes lost 7 hp.

I understand this is due to optimizations (resolving tons of combats in background fully would probably take few more seconds to process) but I would love to see optional setting that forces game to resolve all combats fully even when not visible to player. 

I dont mind waiting few seconds for my turn. Right now after whole whooping 4 gameplay hours I dont really want to continue. It is very cool and promising game. Just hoping something will be done on this matter. 

October 5, 2012 8:34:48 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I wondered why in the 50+ games I played so far the magic using factions lost significantly more often than the others. The reason could be autocombat.

The other behaviour I noticed too. Unwinable battles against monsters with nonmagic special abilities won via autocombat without a scratch.

IMHO, autocombat MUST be corrected before release. I stopped using it completely in my last games even if I had to slay millions of mites by hand and the temptation to cheat myself was sometimes very strong. 

October 5, 2012 8:44:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

well another reason is that champion builds are totally random

warriors dont rely too much on good build, you get a sword or a mace is the same, you get +3 dmg or +3 critical is the same (not exactly but similar)

while if a mage get the wrong traits or equip a plate and a maul he is much much weaker (also in a war human vs ai tactical combat of mages is much much complicated and so ai is much weaker if using deep magic)

October 5, 2012 12:31:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

bumping for Derek's attention and response, now he's back in the forums...

October 5, 2012 12:45:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fixed, thanks.

October 5, 2012 12:50:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I hope its fixed along with something that prevents me from being slaughtered by dark wizards with one spell on a "medium" threat quest?  

October 5, 2012 12:53:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
Fixed, thanks.

October 5, 2012 12:57:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
I hope its fixed along with something that prevents me from being slaughtered by dark wizards with one spell on a "medium" threat quest?  

Unfortunatly not, i just got demolished by some Air Shrills in autoresolve.

http://screencast.com/t/G1I5kbL7

(this is before we put in the fix to enforce cooldowns in autoresolve).

October 5, 2012 1:06:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Eek!  

October 5, 2012 1:09:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
(this is before we put in the fix to enforce cooldowns in autoresolve).

Cooldowns would really help a lot. It'd prevent overuse of some abilities and still allow for some powerful abilities to have more than 1 use per battle. It could apply to both the AI and player, so there would be less opportunity for exploitation.

Derek, you keep adding in awesomeness. How do you do it?

October 5, 2012 1:23:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

great

im really curious to see how ai performs after this and the monsters attacking from 982

in my last 2 games i always had some ai suiciding building near a dragon or so that few turns later started attacking and demolished them

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000141   Page Render Time: