The Home Stretch: Have we succeeded?

By on September 28, 2012 11:13:46 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

Greetings!

Yesterday we released Elemental: Fallen Enchantress BETA 5-C.  This build is our first pass at balance and UI enhancement.  

Next week we will have a BETA 5-D which will focus almost exclusively on bug fixing and balancing as well as some new AI counter-strategies so those of you who have posted your game play strategies online (foolish humans! <g>). We are reaching the home stretch.  We will also have a Beta 5-E. After that, we'll see where things stand.

Many of you have been in the beta for a very...very long time. I can't imagine the challenge it is to evaluate the game from the perspective of a typical PC gamer.  But we're going to ask you, once again, to try to do just that:

Please go to: http://www.elementalgame.com/journals and vote on your impressions of the game in your hands.

We are very excited to see what players think. 

These past two years have been wonderful. The community we have built together has been amazing and on behalf of the Stardock team, we really have enjoyed listening to your ideas, impressions and suggestions.

Like all Stardock games, 1.0 isn't the end of our journey. Even as I type, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion v1.1 nears completion. Ideas and code snippets for FE expansions and successors float around. And there's some exciting things we hope to announce in the coming months.

We look forward to your opinions: 

http://www.elementalgame.com/journals 

Locked Post 195 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 5, 2012 5:26:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Reliant,
I've seen a lot of posts about it, but seeing how you do it would be helpful.

Its no mystery. Earth 2, Life 1, Armorer, Might, Hearty (Is it called hearty? The +hp/lvl and immune to poison one), Cruel. Rusty short sword. Cast stoneskin and regen. Look for mites, ruffians, wolves, lone darklings, rock spiderlings, and any goodie huts. As you pick up levels, prioritize adventurer's boon, potential, lethal, trainer, bloodthirsty, brute, finesse in generally that order. Path of the warrior. As you pick up normal armor, you can start killing black widows, plague stalkers, shrills, larger groups of darklings, sand golems, butcher men, etc. Once your atk and def get into the 20's and you have 50 or 60 hps, you're good to go for anything except slags, forest drakes, troll armies, and those sorts of big nasties.

Like I said, it's just about picking your battles. I will do a thread next week.

Quoting Lord Xia,
I think a no city challenge might be fun.  I will try this on hard tonight myself.  I feel that I would have to get lucky on a lot of things though for this to work. 

Honestly, if you play any sort of melee oriented sov, and exercise caution in the early game, you'll be surprised how easy it is. Remember you can shop in your opponent's territory and you can flip their outposts to claim shards they have built on. Not that you even NEED to do that to win, but it's still nice to remember. Not having to worry about your lands/holdings or care what the enemy factions have claimed is really liberating. You just wander the world and kill what you please.

About the only way this gameplay isn't viable is on insane where the monsters just have too many hps, but even then I'm not 100% sure I couldn't pull it off.

October 5, 2012 5:29:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CogBurn,
. I'm just picking and choosing my battles, killing the mites & ruffians & wolves,

I read ruffians as russians... Sorry it had to come out

Sincerely
~ K

October 5, 2012 5:35:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If they were Russian troops they would be retreating after the first one died. 

October 5, 2012 5:41:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Not to go all historical, but the russian loss of soldiers in certain wars says that they are used to sacrificing more ppl in wars than most.

October 5, 2012 5:49:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Finally baited someone into a historical conversation about Russia. Imperial Russia and the ages before relied on mercenary officers and serf soldiers. Soldiers only stayed in battle as long as the guy pointing a sword at their back was threatening to kill them. And that guy generally only stayed as long as he was not in mortal danger.

October 5, 2012 6:07:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Finally baited someone into a historical conversation about Russia. Imperial Russia and the ages before relied on mercenary officers and serf soldiers. Soldiers only stayed in battle as long as the guy pointing a sword at their back was threatening to kill them. And that guy generally only stayed as long as he was not in mortal danger.

When the term for a culture is cognate with the word "slave," it says something about the relationship between people at different levels of society.

October 5, 2012 6:22:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, Kievan Russia and Appanage Russia were slightly better organized, but one was killed by constant infighting and the other was made completely out of really dry wood. Overall, it's hard to get serfs to fight without reasonable upward mobility and a strong wage. Of course, fighting unending hordes of cheating kiters doesn't help either. 

October 5, 2012 6:38:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting CogBurn,

Quoting Lord Reliant, reply 175I've seen a lot of posts about it, but seeing how you do it would be helpful.

Its no mystery. Earth 2, Life 1, Armorer, Might, Hearty (Is it called hearty? The +hp/lvl and immune to poison one), Cruel. Rusty short sword. Cast stoneskin and regen. Look for mites, ruffians, wolves, lone darklings, rock spiderlings, and any goodie huts. As you pick up levels, prioritize adventurer's boon, potential, lethal, trainer, bloodthirsty, brute, finesse in generally that order. Path of the warrior. As you pick up normal armor, you can start killing black widows, plague stalkers, shrills, larger groups of darklings, sand golems, butcher men, etc. Once your atk and def get into the 20's and you have 50 or 60 hps, you're good to go for anything except slags, forest drakes, troll armies, and those sorts of big nasties.

Like I said, it's just about picking your battles. I will do a thread next week.

Quoting Lord Xia, reply 176I think a no city challenge might be fun.  I will try this on hard tonight myself.  I feel that I would have to get lucky on a lot of things though for this to work. 

Honestly, if you play any sort of melee oriented sov, and exercise caution in the early game, you'll be surprised how easy it is. Remember you can shop in your opponent's territory and you can flip their outposts to claim shards they have built on. Not that you even NEED to do that to win, but it's still nice to remember. Not having to worry about your lands/holdings or care what the enemy factions have claimed is really liberating. You just wander the world and kill what you please.

About the only way this gameplay isn't viable is on insane where the monsters just have too many hps, but even then I'm not 100% sure I couldn't pull it off.

What difficulty level?

Edit:  Somehow missed the last part about difficulty.  I'm trying it on insane just for the hell of it.

October 5, 2012 6:56:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just tried it on hard, it's not that difficult, but I did get reckless and die.  But it's not as hard as I thought it would be.  The Krax blood and ability to fortify helps.

October 5, 2012 7:41:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
I just tried it on hard, it's not that difficult, but I did get reckless and die.  But it's not as hard as I thought it would be.  The Krax blood and ability to fortify helps.

Playing on expert, I practically have won thought I did get reckless a few times, fortunately I had some town which I had captured and waiting to raze .

By capturing and razing towns I am 10% into the magic tech tree
Also did reload once, seemingly a level 4 sovereign cant beat a rockspider ambush... BUT I TRIED!
oh right might as well put it here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lz57xpnnpw8e2v2/Charge.EleSav

Edit: PS, forgot: Don't use auto-turn when soloing with your sovereign, that will just cause tons of bugs (those unexplainable ones where your unit cant move, or ends up in fog of war).

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 5, 2012 7:54:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have only been playing for a few days but i have to tell you this game is better in beta than 99.9% of the games i buy in retail usually for a higher price. I am tired of being fleeced by big developers who put out shoddy games and basically tell you to take a flying leap when everyone realizes the game is a stinking pile of dog do do wrapped up in a big name franchise. You have a winner here--have fun with it and continue taking care of your customers like you are now and your company can not lose.

October 5, 2012 8:09:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Darksomen,
I have only been playing for a few days but i have to tell you this game is better in beta than 99.9% of the games i buy in retail usually for a higher price. I am tired of being fleeced by big developers who put out shoddy games and basically tell you to take a flying leap when everyone realizes the game is a stinking pile of dog do do wrapped up in a big name franchise. You have a winner here--have fun with it and continue taking care of your customers like you are now and your company can not lose.

Such a nice thought

Sincerely
~ K

October 7, 2012 5:05:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game is STILL unplayable on a system at the minimum requirements.

October 7, 2012 10:17:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Othello,
The game is STILL unplayable on a system at the minimum requirements.

I translate "minimum requirements" for any game as "playable while in Zen meditation, when the fall of a single snowflake will appear to take hours, and engage you the whole time."

October 7, 2012 10:55:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,

Quoting Othello, reply 189The game is STILL unplayable on a system at the minimum requirements.

I translate "minimum requirements" for any game as "playable while in Zen meditation, when the fall of a single snowflake will appear to take hours, and engage you the whole time."

Well I don't have minimum requirements, but might be that they need to go up just a tiny bit, heard a lot of people complaining about memory leaks etc.
That said, the game runs smoothly on my machine until I start going out on lategame on large maps (In where I just hit the Turbo button... Yea my comp is that retro that is has a turbo button )

Sincerely
~ K

October 7, 2012 10:59:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kongdej,

Well I don't have minimum requirements, but might be that they need to go up just a tiny bit, heard a lot of people complaining about memory leaks etc.
That said, the game runs smoothly on my machine until I start going out on lategame on large maps (In where I just hit the Turbo button... Yea my comp is that retro that is has a turbo button )

Sincerely
~ K

Yeah, I have 32-bit WinXP at the moment (and will, at least until the middle of next year), with a dual core processor and an aging graphics card.  Game runs very smoothly and quickly, even with anti-alias turned up.  I have some pretty hefty concerns about game balance and randomness at the moment, but zero over performance.

October 7, 2012 11:12:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Glazunov1,
I have some pretty hefty concerns about game balance and randomness at the moment

Me too. But if I have the patience and "Xcom - Enemy Unkown" doesn't end up being too awesome, I will probably try to rebalance stuff in a mod. Well as far as my own logic around balance goes, I might also just be an old silly guy who wants everything his way

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

October 7, 2012 3:37:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I rarely come to the forums but have played every beta.  This is the first one that has actually made me think and be challenged, it also has a had a host of pleasant surprises.

Going back to play it again now. The game has come a long long way since Elemental, appreciate the hard work out into it and the opportunity given to play these betas.

October 8, 2012 10:45:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Well, Kievan Russia and Appanage Russia were slightly better organized, but one was killed by constant infighting and the other was made completely out of really dry wood. Overall, it's hard to get serfs to fight without reasonable upward mobility and a strong wage. Of course, fighting unending hordes of cheating kiters doesn't help either. 
Quoting Glazunov1,

Quoting Othello, reply 189The game is STILL unplayable on a system at the minimum requirements.

I did two spittakes while reading this thread. Good stuff guys.

October 9, 2012 11:30:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would like to change my response to the title's question:

Yes, you have succeeded. Now give me my mod tools and release the campaign!!! 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: