Deep Space Settlement

indie 4X RTS

By on September 9, 2012 9:11:58 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums External Link

dssmathias

Join Date 09/2012
+3

The original post is really outdated by now, this is everything you need to see right now:

Deep Space

-----

Hi, DSS is an upcoming 4X RTS. Here's is the original announcement from April this year:

I am proud to present Deep Space Settlement! DSS is a real-time strategy game focused on empire building and grand-scale space battles. It is in development since February 2011 and is for PC Windows.

Story:
You are part of a multi-generational mission to colonize distant regions of space. Your journey brings you to a star cluster rich in resources and lightly populated. Or so it seems. Your goal is clear: setup a space settlement and thrive. Whether you choose to make allies or conquer through supremacy is up to you.

Features:

• Build your interstellar empire;
  • Gather resources to power your empire economy;
  • Trade resources between star-systems and players;
  • Customizable ships;
  • Build giant capital ships supported by an armada of smaller, more maneuverable ships;
  • Create huge fleets;
  • Unlock new technologies;
  • Unlock new ship abilities through an XP system;
  • Defend from invaders and conquer new star systems;
  • Single or multiplayer;
  • High modding capabilities.

Website || Twitter

Here is a video preview of a small battle:

And some screenshots:

Fleet Editor

I am relatively far into development but there are still some features to implement. I hope to hit Alpha this summer

Any comments and/or suggestions are appreciated.

Locked Post 31 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 9, 2012 9:20:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

And here's a recent develloper blog post:

DSS Colony Station Preview & Creative Process Behind Its Development

This article explains the functionality and design of the first station you are building in the upcomming 4X RTS Deep Space Settlement.

complete article || article on IndieDB

DSS Website || Twitter

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated!

September 9, 2012 9:30:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's interesting, but with the poor launch of SoTS2 late last year, and LoP last month, I think I'm very hesitant to commit at this early stage.

September 9, 2012 10:16:30 PM from Demigod Forums Demigod Forums

Looks interesting

Maybe I'll try

Thanks

September 9, 2012 10:46:54 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Please release the game WHEN IT IS READY!!!!!! 

September 9, 2012 11:28:21 PM from Little Tiny Frogs Forums Little Tiny Frogs Forums

Sounds interesting. I look forward to trying it out.  Need more 4X!

September 11, 2012 4:27:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Damn right Brad! So Brad your going to tell us about your next game soon... its really hard to keep this poker face going. Must stay strong...

September 11, 2012 4:57:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks interesting, just hope it's not like the plethora of failures in 4X this year.

October 2, 2012 3:07:40 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

3corvettes

There's a new post and video about corvette ship customization in DSS, which demonstrates how ship design works. Corvettes are the smallest class of ships averaging at 30 meters in length. They are used as workers/transporters as well as fighters engaging in dog fights.

read complete article

November 25, 2012 4:53:02 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Here's a short video showing 2 stations, you can build in Deep Space Settlement.

The first one is a refinery, it processes mineral ores collected from asteroids into purified ingots usable by factories to produce different goods like ship parts.

The second one produces energy cells with solar panels and food with farming plots. 
Energy cells are used to power your factories and refineries. Food is need for your colonists.

There are also a few new screenshots on the website.

DSS Screenshot

Enjoy!

November 25, 2012 6:08:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Keeping an eye on this.  I'm guessing I'll hear more about it when it's out... 

cheers,

-wmf

January 30, 2013 1:57:36 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We have a new video about the Factory Station and its role in the game. The video is also a bit of a peak into gameplay. Enjoy. Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions. If you like what you see, spread the word! Thanks!

February 8, 2013 10:51:24 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There's a new article about modding in DSS, covering topics like modifying game data and content via .xml files and even API access via .dll files.

February 20, 2013 6:27:43 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

We have a new video about turrets and turret stations. Let us know what you think!

if you like what you see, spread the love.

February 20, 2013 6:52:48 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

This is the kind of access, via api, that has real legs!  Yarlen please take note and push for in next Sins. 

February 20, 2013 7:05:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Agreed! Anything goes, really. Take out what you don't want, put in what you want.

February 20, 2013 7:36:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

My overall impression is very good on the content you are producing. I like the symbiosis of the stations meaning you have one producing X but it needs a component it needs to finish, so another station produces said component and ferries to that station in order to produce X. That reminds me of the X3 games.

I wonder trade will be the same way meaning you can sell surplus for profit or trade. Sound was great as I could hear the pings of the hulls being hit by the slugs from the cannons. Turrets look great and the tease was the icing for me, overall it looks great...

February 20, 2013 7:43:14 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For a 2 person team I am very impressed at this project.

February 20, 2013 11:28:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Cool!

February 21, 2013 2:06:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GUYS this is awsome.

How about selling it to Stardock??

Will you be able to finalize it? I mean, this looks like next Homeworld for me, and that was epic.

Do you have a twitter account to follow that way from my iphone?

February 22, 2013 2:01:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Thanks guys. We appreciate the enthusiasm

I'm not aware of any publisher interests and there are no plans to sell the game to anyone but gamers themselves. DSS is as indie as it gets,  The plan is to get a playable, fun game out by Q3 this year. And then build on that and keep adding and improving.

On twitter, you can follow @StephanieRct(developer) or @DSSMathias(art).

@G_Bison: The original inspiration for how the economy works was The Settlers I believe. But the X games are great as well.

February 22, 2013 10:13:51 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Forgot to mention, yes you can sell surplus resources, but not every trading station will be interested in buying what you have to offer, so you'll have to find the ones where there is a demand.

February 23, 2013 1:28:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I know it's early but how many factions do you guys plan on having at your beta or at launch...

And system specs to run the game...?

Thank You...

February 23, 2013 2:55:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

For the start,there's one faction the player can play. There's also an AI controlled enemy faction, neutral traders and hints of an ancient faction.

You should be good with an average gaming rig.

August 19, 2013 2:07:00 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There are a few updates, most recently fog of war aka visibility and stealth. There's an article about it either on indiedb or on our forum.

Area of Effect weapons like FLAK are now possible.

The UI is customizable and fully skin-able as demonstrated here:simpleui

click for more

Also, people keep thinking DSS is played on a flat plane, so just to emphasize you are not restricted to the grid, here's another snippet:

As always, I'm happy to answer any questions and appreciate any feedback! Thanks!

Deep Space Settlement | Twitter(code) | Twitter(art)

January 1, 2014 1:11:03 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Happy new year everyone, have some recent videos to start of the new year

smooth camera transitions + cruiser peak

Fog and Asteroids

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001156   Page Render Time: