All the good gaming names are taken

By on September 5, 2012 9:23:24 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

Came up with a bunch of good names for future games --- so good that they were already taken, somewhere at some time.

And because we’re such a litigious society, people will sue over even partial names.

I remember getting a threatening letter because we had a technology in Galactic Civilizations II called “Space Marines” and that they had a trademark on that name. We renamed it to Stellar Marines (sounds better anyway).

In recent times, companies have had to resort with coming up with fewer main names “Call of Duty” or “Total War” and then come up with a sub-title in order to have sufficient uniqueness (and of course, even that doesn’t always keep the super-litigious from trying to find a way to cash in).

Hence, I was afraid of calling our first fantasy game “War of Magic” because god knows, there’s probably some game some where called that so we had to call it Elemental: War of Magic. Luckily, Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is probably safe… Winking smile

Locked Post 24 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 5, 2012 9:52:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah it is unfortunate that as time goes on the english language is running out of words for us to use for websites, companies, and products.

Eventually I hope we move beyond unique names for everything and allow overlap. Just imagine if every human born had to have a unique name... it would cause lots of problems.

In the meantime I think rights to names should expire after a few years of disuse... the problem is that companies will release garbage to hold onto rights... it happens all the time as it is. 

September 5, 2012 10:02:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about Mystery Game X?

September 5, 2012 10:36:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you give me all the details of the games you are trying to name I'm sure I can come up with a good lawsuit free name.  

September 5, 2012 10:55:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lord Vexnor and the Death Juggernauts

Awesome, I know.  You can have it though.  For a small price.

September 6, 2012 12:10:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about making up new words? That is what Shakespeare did we he ran out.

September 6, 2012 12:12:51 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting seanw3,
How about making up new words? That is what Shakespeare did we he ran out.

That's exactly what games like Minecraft and countless others have done, make some name up by piecing together other words that relate to what the game is about. Unfortunately, if you'd like a deeper title that may not be the best solution.

September 6, 2012 1:32:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warthorn: The Battle of the Giants. There, now go make it frog

September 6, 2012 1:59:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fundamental Conflict of Sorcery: Descended Wizard

That's what the game will be called in China. Well, the knock-offs with photoshopped LotR pictures on the cover, anyway.

September 6, 2012 8:05:33 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

The Game Where You Shoot The Bad Guys And They Shoot You Back.

Or, if you can get a license for it, maybe you can make Star Trek: Earl Grey Tea - It's Hot!

September 6, 2012 8:15:39 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

"Click End Turn"

September 6, 2012 8:28:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Scrolls...

That is all... 

September 6, 2012 9:05:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this were we pretend that Rebellion isn't suing Stardock over the name Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion?  Or has this been settled?

September 6, 2012 9:26:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Rovert10,
Scrolls...

That is all... 

September 6, 2012 9:32:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Xia,
Is this were we pretend that Rebellion isn't suing Stardock over the name Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion?  Or has this been settled?

I'm pretty sure that comment means it has been settled, or Brad wouldn't be talking about it period.

We really do need trademark/copyright reform in this country- leaning towards being more consumer-friendly.

September 6, 2012 9:48:52 AM from GalCiv II Forums GalCiv II Forums

Do you remember the rock band called the "The"?  You need to trademark the PC game "Console" and the console game "PC".  That should keep you in license fees forever. 

September 6, 2012 11:29:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about a game called "Muslims Are Just Like Christians?" Bet no one has even said that before.

September 6, 2012 12:03:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If the suggestions in this thread are anywhere near accurate, soon the names of games will be indistinguishable from those of indie bands! 

September 6, 2012 1:24:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just preface any game name with Stardock's <game of whatever the hell this is a game of>

Worked for Sid...

September 6, 2012 1:26:38 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting seanw3,
How about a game called "Muslims Are Just Like Christians?" Bet no one has even said that before.

I just listened to a podcast about all the differences between Islam and Christianity.  How timely.

September 6, 2012 1:27:15 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting shadowtongue,
Just preface any game name with Stardock's <game of whatever the hell this is a game of>

Worked for Sid...

And Tyler Perry.

Tyler Perry's Mitt Romney Campaign.  Instant street cred.

September 6, 2012 1:33:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Maybe you should call it...

"State of Armed Conflict Sufficiently Advanced to be Indistinguishable From Magic"

I'm pretty sure that one's not taken  and I'll waive my rights to it as it's creator.

September 6, 2012 2:16:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rename it "Lord Banana Hammock."  Think of the PR.

September 6, 2012 6:02:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I already know what you new game is muhaha! (it was slipped during lunch by accident). I have kept quiet and can't wait to test and buy! Hopefully you don't have another rebellion.

September 6, 2012 6:44:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Didn't a developer send Stardock a cease and desist letter because they were called Rebellion and the new SoaSE game was called that? I'm unsure how I can adequetely sum up how retarded that sounds.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000188   Page Render Time: