By on September 1, 2012 4:20:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

seanw3

Join Date 12/2007
+141

1.02.016 Now available!

Elemental: Master's Affliction

A total conversion mod by Sean W. III and Werewindle

Dolor hic tibi proderit olim; aut vincere aut mori

To give sum to this realm which I have created is simple: Some day this pain will be of use to you; either to conquer or die. When I read the description for Fallen Enchantress, I imagined Pandemonium. I believed too much in a realm of chaos and desolation. A realm where the monsters have lease and ancient demons rule. The realm that was finished is quite simply too soft for my tastes. My thirst for strife is impossible to satisfy. I want, nay need, the realm to devour humanity. This can't be accomplished in the realm of the Fallen Enchantress. The world is but a piece of cloth, on which simple empires are built. There is not danger, no survival against impossible beasts. Cities do not grow from fledgling villages into towering dominions. Magic does not rip the realm in two. Humanity is nowhere near sufficiently scared. Without challenge, victory is hollow. Without pain, defeat is meaningless. But I, I have the power to change that. I will build my own realm. I will populate it with terrible beasts and ancient demons. I will give true power to humanity and watch them destroy themselves. I will lure those that think themselves masters of magic straight into the pits of affliction. Defeat will be their turmoil. Hubris, their lure. Welcome to the Master's Affliction.

But not everything I do is to cause you pain. There would be no reason to play if I did not offer things a master needs. First and foremost I offer more strategic and tactical depth. Balance is a word for making things equal. I want to add depth to my scales of balance. I will provide links to charts and descriptions of what I have changed and why. There will likely be many more changes and content additions. For now I want to get a core depth to tactical battles. I will be primarily focusing on rebalancing monsters to provide appropriate levels of challenge throughout the game. The basic concept is that each tile must be fought for in a war against the world. This will be explained in detail in the Mod Explanations section. For now, try it out and please provide feedback.

FE Mod Library Page

FE Nexus Page

Download Here (1.02.016)

Mod Install Instructions

Mod Explanations

Mod Charts

Weapon Balance

Changelog

With Contributions from:

The King of Despair Heavenfall

Pinned, Locked Post 856 Replies +3 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
Rhettrongun
SniperColt
Aerion Istari
September 1, 2012 4:46:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looooooooks reeeaaallly interesting, I made a vow to myself not to mod my game until release so hope to see a similar mod near release, I don't think I entirely agree with the changes in level-up options, but atleast it seems more balanced this way

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 1, 2012 5:33:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Surely you can play one game with the mod and then have the willpower to switch back. 

I agree that most modding is damaging to the overall beta process, but once we stop getting updates and have exhausted all avenues of feedback, what else is a modder to do? I always tell people to only try my mod after the beta testing is done for you. For me, I am getting no crashes, my bugs are all posted and I even ate my vegetables. Time for some dessert. 

The mod should be available today after I finish some last minute changes. I will post a how to install it and rule list later on when the files are ready.

September 1, 2012 5:43:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Surely you can play one game with the mod and then have the willpower to switch back. 

What is this willpower you speak of?

Nah I still have some stuff on my list to talk about, I am not done (I have a thousand little items to get out there, hopefully upgraded )

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 1, 2012 5:53:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting looking mod.  If I get a chance I'll give it a whirl.

I think it would be great if you renamed this:

Wharehouse: +50% Growth

to Grange Hall, based on this.

September 1, 2012 6:09:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting mqpiffle,
Grange Hall

Done and done!

September 1, 2012 7:00:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This looks really cool. I'm not ready yet in the Beta process to try mods but I really like the balance that this brings. Nice work Sean.

September 1, 2012 7:59:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

btw what is "Air Dodge"?

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 1, 2012 8:09:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Air Dodge is Dodge that only affects projectiles. Belt of Precognition uses this. So do Horses.

September 1, 2012 8:34:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Air Dodge is Dodge that only affects projectiles. Belt of Precognition uses this. So do Horses.

You have 2 talents that gives +2 dodge per level, except one of them is only dodge vs projectiles, that seems a bit odd.. (Here take this poor-mans version of the other talent for the same price.
Guess they stack nicely though

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

September 1, 2012 8:58:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good Feedback. It might be more interesting to have leaf on the wind do 50 Air Dodge.

September 2, 2012 5:39:33 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The mod is ready for its first round of play. Please post any problems or bugs, any issues or imbalances. Remember, even an elephant can be balanced if you find the right counterweight.

September 2, 2012 6:26:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Getting an error on the units link.   HTTP 400, Bad Request

September 2, 2012 12:25:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll upload it again. Should be fixed.

September 2, 2012 12:52:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lairs:

+Monsters from a given Lair form armies and protect their territory

+Lairs of the same type spawn near each other

+Wildlands, if disturbed, may devastate nearby cities and outposts

How did you accomplish this?

September 2, 2012 1:36:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have devices and machinations you could never fathom! Mua... muah haha... muah ha ha ha ha hahaha!

No, really though, I changed all the wandering radii to between 0 and 3. I made lairs spawn larger numbers later in the game. I set a lair from each Wildlands to have a wandering radius of 15. Then I set a parameter in lair spawns to spawn monsters of the same type near each other. The result is a better monster progression that sticks to its original territory. With all the extra monsters, XP is too common. So I also had to increase the level requirements. 

September 2, 2012 2:39:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It seems dragons are not improved in this mod. Also Verga combination: high Initiative + perfect Accuracy (100+) + Stun leads to Stun abusing. So Verga can defeat any powerful monster in early game. My Verga at level 4 defeated Slag level 10 in season 19. I used stun and retreat strategy. Nevertheless Verga gained only one level with new XP system. Of course Verga is OP and Slag is too weak, but I feel it is too low XP for dragon. Here are screenshots:

Verga

Trained units still can't compete with sovereigns/champions in early game. It seems disbalance between sovereigns and trained units becomes even more huge, than in original game. 

Also +3 research for Conclave is too much. It is not comparable with +1 Material for Town.

September 2, 2012 2:51:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You and your Kraxis videos have gotten me more interested in playing the Dark Side, SeanW.  Once I've tried that a few times, I'll definitely give your latest mod a workout.

September 2, 2012 2:53:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

As to Verga, I am still trying to get the Sov power right. One problem with single unit monster armies is that they are easily kited. I can only fix that by increasing the number of units in the army for now. I will make a note though, thanks. Verga is a Necromonger-Warlord. He is extremely powerful, but can't use any magic. He is specifically designed to be able to solo most enemies. BTW, Stun has 100% accuracy for everyone. I will change this in the next update. 

As to Conclave, you might not be thinking of every situation. Conclaves get about double the research of Towns. Towns have double the growth of a Conclave. They can reach level 5 three times as fast as Conclaves and Fortresses. Their level 3, 4, and 5 choices are much more powerful too. If you have a 6/2/1 spot, Towns are a better choice. Conclaves are really good for a tech based faction. Towns are better for factions that need alot of money or want to train extremely strong tank units. If you are Yithril, I suggest one Conclave to start everything else a Fortress. You will only need a few military techs to dominate the world. They are set up to have less technology, but more military power. 

How much did you level off of that 100XP? I may need to require more XP to level.

September 2, 2012 3:10:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OP links updated with new version: 1.952.002

September 2, 2012 3:38:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi Sean would it be possible to separate this mod into smaller mods so that we can pick and mix the bits we want?

September 2, 2012 3:54:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,

As to Conclave, you might not be thinking of every situation. Conclaves get about double the research of Towns. Towns have double the growth of a Conclave. They can reach level 5 three times as fast as Conclaves and Fortresses. Their level 3, 4, and 5 choices are much more powerful too.

Now you can win in early-mid game (in expert difficulty). So in most cases no need in 4-5 levels of cities. Anyway success in mid game depends on success in early game. Success in late game depends on success of mid game. So each game stage: early, mid and late should be balanced separately. For me only early-mid game matters. I choose Conclave (+3 research, wow) to research Mounted Warfare asap. So I can buy a horse very fast. Horse gives double moves in early game. Double moves = double XP. It is because only sovereign/champions matters. Trained units require many production points in early game. Even so they are too weak to be useful. It is much better to invest these production points in building pioneers and improvements. So in mid game you have super champions with super equipment. And trained units still can't compete with them. Please, do something radical with trained units. 

September 2, 2012 5:21:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DGB246,
Hi Sean would it be possible to separate this mod into smaller mods so that we can pick and mix the bits we want?

That would take too much work. If you are handy with XML, you could just take the parts you like and leave the rest.

September 2, 2012 5:43:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting harmonius_,
So I can buy a horse very fast. Horse gives double moves in early game. Double moves = double XP. It is because only sovereign/champions matters.

Mounts, even in vanilla, are way overpowered.  They have no drawbacks and only cost something like 16 gold from the store for a sov / champion mount with all of the benefits they offer?  Completely ridiculous.

If a mount charges headlong into an infantry group, it should take the initial damage (with low hp) and if slain it should be destroyed, causing the rider to go prone and possibly be stunned for some number of turns.

There should also be mount-specific traits, as well as mount upgrades which require upgrades to the appropriate improvement (stables/kennels.)  Sovereign and champion horses should also cost WAY more money, because breeding and training an exemplary horse is, even IRL, no small feat.

I like this rant so much I'm going to copy and paste it into it's own thread!

September 2, 2012 5:43:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting harmonius_,
Now you can win in early-mid game (in expert difficulty). So in most cases no need in 4-5 levels of cities. Anyway success in mid game depends on success in early game. Success in late game depends on success of mid game. So each game stage: early, mid and late should be balanced separately. For me only early-mid game matters. I choose Conclave (+3 research, wow) to research Mounted Warfare asap. So I can buy a horse very fast. Horse gives double moves in early game. Double moves = double XP. It is because only sovereign/champions matters. Trained units require many production points in early game. Even so they are too weak to be useful. It is much better to invest these production points in building pioneers and improvements. So in mid game you have super champions with super equipment. And trained units still can't compete with them. Please, do something radical with trained units. 

This is good logic. I will increase mounted warfare tech cost, increase the shop value for mounts, increase the barracks to 50% discount to unit training, decrease the cost of barracks and training yard, increase the XP units gain from battle, nerf the bonus attack in path traits. The intention is to increase a Fortress's ability to pump out units of high quality, let units level faster, weaken the mounted hero strategy, and stop level 4 traits from being so good.

One thing that I look at is a city with 4/2/2. Choosing Conclave makes it a 4/2/2. That means +3 research from Conclave, +2 from city level, +2 from inspiration. Choosing Town makes it a 4/3/2. That means +2 from Inspiration and +2 from city level. So you have a total of 7 for Conclave and 4 for Town. A town can then build Study about 33% faster. So you gain +3 research per turn more than that town for 20 turns until it reaches level 3. You will likely be at +9 by then and they will bet at +6. As they continue to level faster, they actually catch up to you in terms of percentages. At level 3 they can really pull ahead in growth or choose to make some extremely powerful tanks. When you get to level 3, you get +1 Essence and can choose to once again gain the advantage in research. You are now a 4/2/3 and truly have an advantage in technology. At that point other cities are founded and the equation gets extremely more complicated. I don't see a major advantage in Conclave over Towns unless you have a faction that is designed to play better with more research and magic.

Magnar, for instance, would not choose either of those strategies and go after only fortresses. He only needs about 5 techs to reach his full potential as a conqueror. 

In the next full size update there will be better natural city defense. I will be balancing things so that Catapults and Fireballs are the only way to take over a city. That means late game techs or powerful mages. There will be double the amount of heroes to ensure the AI has the chance to cast Counterspell during sieges. I might even make the Guardian statue start with that spell. 

September 2, 2012 7:40:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

+Updated balance to require more techs to get to mounts. Wargs and Horses are now side by side, instead of consecutive. 

+All Fortress based training buildings now cost less to build. Barracks now reduces training cost by 35%.

+Unit XP is now 75% of a hero's gain.

+50% more XP needed to level. (M=1.5, E=3.1). This will mean a little more early on and much much more needed later on. Let me know where the amount needed starts to take forever. I am shooting for level 10 to start taking massive amounts.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time: