Coming soon: Fallen Enchantress on Steam

By on August 23, 2012 8:39:26 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

FE_Units_WatermarkNext week we expect to release an update to Fallen Enchantress. That update will be available to existing users of Fallen Enchantress and it will also be the first version available for sale on Steam (Beta 4-A).

The plan is to put out Beta 4A and then collect as much feedback as we can. Seriously, NOW is the time to ask for stuff (within reason) because when Beta 5 comes out (next month) we’ll be in feature lock-down. No new features until after release.

Now, we have a few questions for you guys:

(1) How do you think we should refer to this game? Elemental: Fallen Enchantress or just Fallen Enchantress?

(2) You can already go to www.fallenenchantress.com btw to go right to the page.

(3) What sorts of additional magical spells would you like to see us add before release that aren’t already in the game?

(4) What sorts of additional quests would you like to see?

(5) Random events – yes, we have them but we don’t have a lot. Now is the time to suggest them.  Ideally, ones that don’t require crazy amounts of work.

(6) I will be needing your help on strategy for the AI.  When you play Fallen Enchantress on Challenging (anything below challenging has the AI gimped to various degrees) you’re basically playing me. As some of you know, Fallen Enchantress (like GalCiv but unlike WOM) will make use of your multi-core processor. Every AI player gets their own thread. Long story short, I can do some terrible, evil things with the AI.  But I know there are players who are just far better at this game than I am.  Please feel free to make posts discussing your strategies. I am not ashamed to steal from you.

(7) If you have not already voted, please please vote in the journal poll: http://www.elementalgame.com/journals We use this data.

(8) Modding time is almost here. We have tried to make it hard to mod so far but the time to turn off the network data stuff is nearing.  Here is what I’m thinking: http://screencast.com/t/5IyRz7XY.  

(9) Before anyone asks, no, you can’t transfer your FE serial to Steam. I can’t go into the details on why this is so don’t ask. Just assume it has something to do with gold plated rocket cars or something.

(10) The Fallen Enchantress budget is 2.2X the budget of War of Magic.  We hope people like what we’ve been doing here. I know it’s been a long journey but it was important to us that our most loyal customers, you guys, knew that we were dedicated to making sure our fantasy strategy game was nothing short of awesome.  Beta 4A has a lot of nice things but I think you guys will be surprised how much we were holding back for Beta 5 (for testing purposes mind you).

(11) I can’t tell you who the Fallen Enchantress is. But you can probably guess.

(12) The campaign, which isn’t in the beta (for spoiler reasons) was designed by Jon Shafer and written by fantasy author Dave Stern. It plays quite a bit differently from the sand box game. The idea was to give players an idea of what could be done via mods as well as give players a fun campaign experience that wasn’t just a bunch of sandbox scenarios.  I do want to emphasize that the campaign is made with the same tools players will be given and they will be able to make their own and share them.

(13) While Fallen Enchantress will be available on Steam, it won’t require it.

(14) If you don’t have War of Magic, skip it.  We’re going to discontinue it (we’ll still support it for existing customers for the long haul and may put out another update later this year). Fallen Enchantress is a lot closer to what we had in mind.

(15) If you have Windows XP 32-bit, you can get better performance if you enable large address awareness.

Locked Post 172 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
grimpandango
August 24, 2012 2:19:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It seemed more efficient to make my own post and link it here. Some of these are from the community content thread.

http://forums.elementalgame.com/429993

August 24, 2012 2:26:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(1) Its been so long since E:WoM came out and nobody really knows about that game unless they bought it. Just call it Fallen Enchantress since its shorter (I reversed my previous stance).

(3) Looking through the spell list, I think that you have enough really. My only suggestion would be to add some more spells that use 2 different shards. What about a unit enchantment that increases spell damage by 5% for each water and air shard you have, and requires Air 3 and Water 3? Or maybe just spell mastery by 3 + 1 per shard if you think thats too strong.

If anything put more variety in the Weak and Medium quests since those are encountered the most often. I am thinking like 3x as many. 

How about a sword in the stone quest : P

Rescue a prince or princess from a dragon with 3 options: Bribe with gildar, bribe with influence, or kill the dragon

Help an armorsmith by killing scrap golems and giving him the metal. He rewards you with a masterwork chain chest piece. 

Go harvest some mushrooms in a forest with spiders. Be rewarded with a random potion.

Clear out a library of bandits and get some random books as a reward.

Help a wizard kill the ice elemental he accidentally summoned and he grants you an ice spear as a reward. 

(5) Random events:

- Found a gold mine/apiary/other resource. Creates one in a random city or outpost for you. Should be rare.

- Population Boom: +50% growth for 10 turns.

- Research Breakthrough: +40 research points

- Generous Benefactor: +100 Gildar (maybe +5 per game turn elapsed)

- Noble Gift: 1 Warhorse for your sovereign

- Inheritance from your crazy uncle: A random magic item is given to you (type of item you find on the ground, nothing too strong)

- Wandering Caravan: +1 Pioneer

- Volunteer Army: +1 Militia (perhaps +1 / hundred turns)

- Blessing from a Cleric: Lowers the unrest in your kingdom by 10% for 10 turns.

- Cartographer: Pay 20 gildar for a random 5x5 area of the map to be revealed.

- Champion offers to join your service: A random hero offers to join you if you pay his hiring cost. It should try to give one the player can afford.

- Bandit Raid: Create 3-5 bandit camps in the player's kingdom. This event shouldn't appear until at least turn 50. 

Well thats enough brainstorming for now... hope that helps : D

August 24, 2012 3:51:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Call it any of this:

• Elemental 2: Fallen Enchantress
  • Elemental II: Fallen Enchantress
  • Fallen Enchantress: Elemental 2
  • Fallen Enchantress: Elemental II

Because changes to Elemental are big enough for a number increase.

August 24, 2012 3:53:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also I would strongly recommend you have a look at Heavenfall's Reliquary and use ideas like his for boosting the number and variety of magical items.  After all this is Elemental, we need lots of MAGIC and lots of MAGIC ITEMS.

August 24, 2012 3:59:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Random Events:

- Swamps come alive: Monsters (drakes and such) spawn in swamp locations

- Forests come alive: Monsters (spiders and such) spawn in forest locations

- Deserts come alive: You get the picture

- The Mercenary: Player with most gold gets a choice to recruit a very strong mercenary champion. Others get a message letting them know of this.

- The Grand Mage: Player with most mana gets a free powerful mage champion.

- The Season of Mages: Every player gets a free mage champion oriented to the magic type they have most shards of. If a player has no shards, they get a powerful governor champion instead.

- The Season of Learning: All player owned champions are set to level 10 unless they are already at or above that level.

- The Season of Growth: All cities at level 1 gain a level. Other cities gain +X population.

August 24, 2012 4:02:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

• Spells. Make them "less bonusy" and "more effecty". Spells that do something unique instead of altering what you're already doing. Again, refer to MoM, you can't go wrong. Also, rework as possible the hero leveling system since right now it only allows to build "multiclasses" - and somewhat randomly, at that. It's not organic nor fun. I want to be able to build a barbarian warrior, or a frail caster with LOTS of spells.
  • Epicness. Spells, quests, items and heroes are a lot less epic than they seemed they were going to become a few betas ago.
  • Tactical battles. A little boring and repetitive. More effective and colorful spells would help these too. They need some more tactical deepness anyway. Also the famous "Autoplay with no spells" button is essential for the late game, or you are forced to play every single meaningless skirmish going always through the same motions. Game killer, imho. I can't stress this enough.
  • Random events. Nice suggestions from the community.

The rest of the game is well structured imho at this point, but without the above it remains bland. After that, balance, bugfixing and performance. Performance right now seems particularly worrying and I'm not even sure it can be fixed: maybe a poll about how many get to actually finish a game would shed some light in this regard: I feel the problem is being underestimated.

August 24, 2012 4:24:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

With a Steam launch it would help sales with a multiplayer feature as soon as possible! I'm eagering to start a FE MP page on steam, or perhaps introduce it in the No Quitters Civilization group as a great MP TBS alternative to Civ5.

Think about it how you'd have to change your strategy in MP, protecting your cities alot more from the start of the game.... hmmmm, I need this game experience so badly.... 

NB! If you plan for a MP feature, announce it when this game hits Steam, to catch up those not buying it because of the lack of MP....

August 24, 2012 4:30:19 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I vote for Fallen Enchantress title. Drop the elemental to avoid negative association.

As for spells I think death is at a disadvantage with lack of heals for units so I suggest:

Vampiric touch: Unit recieves 10-20% of damage done back as health (unit spell).

Raise Dead: If a living humanoid stack has been killed it can be raised from dead as skeleton or zombie army to continue the fight (summon).  Can only be used on previously living targets.  Stack remains at end of combat as new unit type with typical undead immunities and weaknesses e.g. poison immunity and reduced initiative.

August 24, 2012 4:51:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Fallen Enchantress is fine for how to refer to the game as.  Flows nicely, I think even if you write Elemental: Fallen Enchantress in a post, my mind shortens it to just Fallen Enchantress amyway.

As for the other feedback you want, I'll have to make a post or two regarding it (if i can get enough play time for thstrategies in beta 4 as they are way different from Beta 3).

August 24, 2012 5:04:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"Winds of magic": regularly winds of magic blow stronger and in the places where some units died rise undead abominations who proceed to attack nearby settlements to get revenge for their demise.

August 24, 2012 5:38:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When talking about this game with friends, I just call it "Fallen Enchantress" because it's easier to say.  It's a cool game title and I don't think the word "Elemental" really adds anything to it.  Having "Elemental" in the logo would be fine though to connect the lore to the previous game.

Random events: Plague - all cities' populations drop, cities don't lose levels though.

Mite invasion: mites spawn all over the map and set up new lairs

Hellspawn: ignyses spawn from chasms

August 24, 2012 5:57:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1 - Call it......Fallen enchantress, mistress of magic.

3 - Magic spells that make various shields against elemental spells, such as fire and ice.

5 - Teach the AI about random events, have it use them, and act more human, more interesting.

I can't help feeling that the Steam community will give FE a right good bashing to start of with, but hopefully settle down later if the game proves worthy.

August 24, 2012 6:04:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting LNQ,
Random Events:

- Swamps come alive: Monsters (drakes and such) spawn in swamp locations

- Forests come alive: Monsters (spiders and such) spawn in forest locations

- Deserts come alive: You get the picture

- The Mercenary: Player with most gold gets a choice to recruit a very strong mercenary champion. Others get a message letting them know of this.

- The Grand Mage: Player with most mana gets a free powerful mage champion.

- The Season of Mages: Every player gets a free mage champion oriented to the magic type they have most shards of. If a player has no shards, they get a powerful governor champion instead.

- The Season of Learning: All player owned champions are set to level 10 unless they are already at or above that level.

- The Season of Growth: All cities at level 1 gain a level. Other cities gain +X population.

This is pretty close to the stuff I have been asking for. Make the world come alive even more.

August 24, 2012 6:10:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

(1) How do you think we should refer to this game? Elemental: Fallen Enchantress or just Fallen Enchantress?

That depend on your logo and plans for followup games. If you plan to do more games in the world, but not ones that has no connection to FE, keep the elemental. If not, there is no actual reason for it (as Elemental: WOM left a bad taste).

(3) What sorts of additional magical spells would you like to see us add before release that aren’t already in the game?

I don't quite remember, but about a year or so (or maybe for Elemental?) there was an event for magic spells, and I believe one for quests. I think you should dig these up and use what you find, as it included many fine suggestions.

I would like to see some World Enchantments, such as Zombie Mastery (raises killed units at now cost with a high upkeep), and other ones that are strong, but cost large amount of mana. Currently we are stuck with the mana dumps (500 mana for -5% unrest?)

(5) Random events – yes, we have them but we don’t have a lot. Now is the time to suggest them.  Ideally, ones that don’t require crazy amounts of work.

NOW is the time to ask for stuff (within reason) because when Beta 5 comes out (next month) we’ll be in feature lock-down.

I would like to see MoM's merchant coming back. If I have gilder, a merchant has a chance to attempt to sell me some mercenary well trained army, or an artifact.

Another is a new bunch of heroes (one-2 per game) who will go to a random faction. They do not still other champions exp (like henchmen), but after some time they defect to a different random faction.

(6) I will be needing your help on strategy for the AI.  When you play Fallen Enchantress on Challenging (anything below challenging has the AI gimped to various degrees) you’re basically playing me. As some of you know, Fallen Enchantress (like GalCiv but unlike WOM) will make use of your multi-core processor. Every AI player gets their own thread. Long story short, I can do some terrible, evil things with the AI.  But I know there are players who are just far better at this game than I am.  Please feel free to make posts discussing your strategies. I am not ashamed to steal from you.

I am usually playing on a much too high conditions for my own good (2nd from end). I will go to that difficulty and try to post some extra info on ideas.

NOW is the time to ask for stuff (within reason) because when Beta 5 comes out (next month) we’ll be in feature lock-down.

This is probably the most important:

1) Fix the population! In 0.95 Population has no place in FE. It costs (Game wise) about 1/3 of your resources/buildings, and give little in return. A city with 2/3/1 (G/M/E) is better than a 5/3/0 or 5/2/1, due to amount of people is not Important.

Reason: people are used for money and city level. City levels are not as important as production, and you can reach level 2 with either 3 grain (2 grain+1 essence) or with a building or two of extra pop.

Besides levels, people can pay taxes at a cost. The cost is production and research, which is most-always more important than taxes, especially when you get most of your needs from the buildings.

Either make gilder a much bigger issue so that a high population to tax is important, give them the old 0.1 production&research bonuses, or scrap the idea (easier game for new players, easier for the AI, less room for bugs).

2) Remove the production cap on cities (3 turns minimum for production).

This issue annoys nearly all of the players, since there is no reason for it. Nearly every reason for it can be easily solved, and remove it.

3) Better show of races uniqueness in-game. Currently when making a custom race it's impossible to know what is unique to each one without memorizing it. Also, make another pass on them, as I suspect some races do not have a unique ability, while others such as Yithril (Juggernaut) does. They got certain options the other once didn't take, but a custom race has no reason to pick them.

4) Upgrading all resources from cities, instead of going to a resource hunting. This includes all resources the city controls, and can upgrade (can build multiple times if have the same effect on different resources). Players will still be able to manually upgrade.

5) A look at Governor heroes exp progression. They need to fight (and do so badly) in order to improve, and need to be in the city in order to use their abilities. Maybe allow them to "lock" in a city, turning them into a defending unit, but granting them exp or some other idea to keep them progressing?

6) Alchemy gilder--->mana. I believe we'd like to see such an optional research in the magic tree.

One more thing: after you believe you implemented all of the features (at least the ones you plan to, release a 4B for the community to give feedback, so nothing will go into beta 5 half baked.

August 24, 2012 6:19:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Next week we expect to release an update to Fallen Enchantress. That update will be available to existing users of Fallen Enchantress and it will also be the first version available for sale on Steam (Beta 4-A).

Wait, you're selling Beta 4-A as a retail game on Steam...next week?  Am I understanding that right? Or are you simply talking pre-orders here?

I don't mean to be overly skeptical here, as I really enjoyed seeing a lot of the progress Beta 4 has made, but I wouldn't call it retail ready yet, by a long stretch. Setting aside balance, pathfinding, and systems issues, from a purely technical standpoint as a point of reference, the last two games I played in Beta 4 ended up with corrupted, unplayable save game files.  That's really bad. That doesn't happen to me in most other games beta games I play in a far earlier stage of development than E:FE is. The Save/Load system has always been unreliable from day one, with all sorts of weird stuff happening all the time, and that is fundamental to the game.

Even if you call it a "beta", if you take money for it over Steam and offer it as a download through them, I doubt most of the general Steam-going public will make that distinction. 

I'd hate to see the game come so far, only to succumb to bad word of mouth from a game that was sold to the public shy of the home stretch.  It would be particularly catastrophic in the context of the last game.

/hand-wringing off

As for the name, I know I'm in the minority here, but I would call the game Elemental 2: Fallen Enchantress (notice the "2").  Yes, that associates with the first game, but hear me out.

You've spoken before about the importance of narratives in how a game is perceived. Well, people understand 1, 2 and 3 numbering. They don't always understand ambiguously titled stand alone expansions, and are sometimes confused as to what they are and whether they need the original game for them.  Elemental: Fallen Enchantress sounds like it could be an expansion for the first game they didn't like, instead of a total overhaul.  And calling it Fallen Enchantress could simply be seen as an attempt to re-brand the original game, with some people thinking it's the same thing.

People understand a sequel, though, and Fallen enchantress truly is a sequel by any definition.

They are used to the idea that sequels can improve on the originals, and fix the things they didn't like about the first game. It's actually expected that a sequel will be an improved game. They like that narrative. There's plenty of precedent for sequels that become fundamentally better games than the earlier game they were based on. People expect sequels to be improved versions of the game they played before, and are disappointed if they aren't.

In the interests of full disclosure, though, I never liked the title "Fallen Enchantress". It just sounds a little too precious. Elemental is a solid name for a fantasy TBS, though, and I'd hate to see it de-emphasised in favor of the former.

Whatever you decide, I wish you the best of luck. As much as I want to see the game given the very best chance, so it can do well and eventually produce a sequel that's even closer to the great game I know it can be ( I want Elemental to have its Twilight of the Arnor), and as invested as I am in it, it's nothing compared to how invested you guys are, and how far out on a limb you guys are with it. I truly hope it all works out, and you folks are rewarded for all the hard work and good faith you've put in.

August 24, 2012 6:32:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This next beta will be extremely important. First impressions and how the word spread across Steam, Gamespot, Gamespy, ign.com +++ does matter. Therefore the beta next week needs to rid us of the most blatant bugs. 

Corrupted save games, disappearing action bar in combat, arrows coming inn from strange angles and these main things that has been with us since day 1.

Good luck

Its an amazing game in need of some polish and love before release.

August 24, 2012 6:39:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

What I would like to see?

1. Limited number of tiles in cities per level - aka Galciv planets, cities could have limited amount of usable tiles per level. So I have to really think of whether I would build merhant + pier + lumberjack or bell+monument+something-else. You can also use increased amount of tiles per level as a racial bonus (Gilden? Magnar - slaves?). By default it could go (per levels) 5 - 10 - 15... ? This will stress strategic planning as you could simply not built everyhing in long term.

2. Rally points - are they in the game? Much helpful in late games on bigger maps, where higher level of automatisation is needed.

3. Repeat-build command - again in the late game, it would be great to order city to repeatedly build certain unit, in comb. with rally points. Easies empire management again.

And of course lot more content stuff, but I am sure you guys have lots of suprises for us:)

August 24, 2012 6:42:04 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

And one more question, cant we stard with group of 5 soldiers instead of 3? It would help the immersion a bit and maybe it would also hel AI in the early game, as it relies more on mundane.

Just a small suggestion...

August 24, 2012 6:55:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Next week we expect to release an update to Fallen Enchantress. That update will be available to existing users of Fallen Enchantress and it will also be the first version available for sale on Steam (Beta 4-A).
The plan is to put out Beta 4A and then collect as much feedback as we can. Seriously, NOW is the time to ask for stuff (within reason) because when Beta 5 comes out (next month) we’ll be in feature lock-down. No new features until after release.
Now, we have a few questions for you guys:

(1)

I think Fallen Enchantress is better, because the name is short and it is a name without any bad memories regarding War of Magic.

(3)

In my opinion the number of spells in Fallen Enchantress is already very good, but many spells are not very useful at the moment. The game is missing these spells:

Create (element) shard:

This level 3 strategic spell should be avaible in every school. The player can cast it on a shard within his zone of control to create a (element) shard.

Dispel magic:

This tactical spell should be in the magic tech tree and it should remove a random enhancement on the target unit.

Mass slow:

This level 4 tactical water spell should work like Slow, but it should target every enemy unit.

Mass haste:

This level 4 tactical air spell should work like Haste, but it should target every friendly unit.

Mass heal:

This level 4 tactical life spell should work like Heal, but it should target every friendly unit.

Mana explosion:

This level 4 tactical fire spell should inflict 10 fire damage + 3 fire damage per shard against a target with an enhancement. The damage is multiplied with the number of enhancements on the target and halved if the target resists.

(6)

In most cases the AI does not use spells. It should cast strategic spells like tidal wave and tactical spells like fireball to reduce the power of the player.

August 24, 2012 6:59:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would stick with Elemental: Fallen Enchantress. Like Bingjack said above, Elemental is a good name for a TBS franchise. Just FE doesn't give the same feeling. As for avoiding the negative associations, as if that is even possible. Taking 1 minute to google the game before buying it will reveal WoM. Every review will start with a reminder about how bad WoM was. Speaking of which;

Maybe you intend to fix all the balancing, pacing, immersion, AI, UI, and performance issues in the polishing phase, but in my honest opinion the game is not ready to be released. There is a good basis and, like WoM, it has a lot of potential, but it's not giving me the 'TBS classic' feel yet. Also, Frogboy talking about 'lots of stuff we haven't seen yet' is giving me a bad sense of deja vu. There was a lot of talk like that in the months before WoM's release, and it never came through. That being said, the hint at more/better content and mechanics does excite me a bit

August 24, 2012 7:52:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think people assuming that dropping the Elemental name is going to somehow hide the fact that the game is both by the same guys who did E:WOM and set in the same universe are deluding themselves.  Every single review will mention WOM.  Every one of them.  WOM's launch was that spectacularly bad AND WOM's issues play directly into whether or not EFE is a good game.  Did Stardock really learn from their mistakes?  That will be the thrust of nearly every review.  Regardless of the title, in the reviewers mind, SD has to prove that they overcame the WOM problems in order for FE to receive a good score.  

Besides, I think you're passing up a great opportunity to own up to WOM to a broader audience and to market the fact that SD is one of the few studios that listens to fans and owns it mistakes.  That is one of your biggest brand strengths (as well as the good games!).  Don't piss away a chance to play to that strength for zero gain. 

Does including Elemental in the title tie you directly to WOM?  Sure.  But dropping Elemental from the title doesn't break that tie.  It only makes it looked like you're ashamed and trying to hide it.  Own the link.  If WOM hadn't flopped the way it did, FE would not be as a good a game as it looks like it will end up.  

August 24, 2012 8:30:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The game is a lot of fun now.    However, it could be a real classic.

Suggestions for FE:

1. Reduce city spam.     Currently the game has too much "rush out and stake your claim" in the early phases.      The AI is entirely focused on this.    We go from a a 4X game to a 1X game.    It reduces the fun a lot.    This is the biggest current issue.

2. We need more late game content.     Once a player has cleaned out the monster dens in an area its safe until the AI shows up.   Once the direction of the AI threat is known there is very little reason for troops anywhere but at the front.  

I suggest monsters and some quests re-spawn later in the game and at higher levels.

3. Allow road building by some type of an "engineer" type unit in addition to the automatic city roads.     The new manual roads would have to have a cost of course.

4. Please fix the loot distribution.    Despite what the change notes for beta 4 said, you still quite often get low level gear for defeating a dragon.

5. Please fix the combat "slow down" problem that occurs sometimes in tactical.    

August 24, 2012 8:35:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More weapons and armor please, they don't have to be added to the tech tree (even though having maybe a few more unique tech options would be nice i.e.: an Assassin tech that unlocks special light armor and weapons. Having a few branches on a tree is always nice, it gives more flavor to a game like do I wanna go for a assassin type unit quick or go for the Heavy knight with a lance).

More unique Race options like: One that gives the race the ability to "tame" some other animal like cave bears or even drakes to use as mounts. I think more options like this would be nice to include in the base game even if you add them later as "DLC". The ability to not only play unique races but make even more unique options for your own is a great addition to us more modding challenged.

And is there ever going to be any naval content added?

August 24, 2012 8:51:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,
I think people assuming that dropping the Elemental name is going to somehow hide the fact that the game is both by the same guys who did E:WOM and set in the same universe are deluding themselves.  Every single review will mention WOM.  Every one of them.  WOM's launch was that spectacularly bad AND WOM's issues play directly into whether or not EFE is a good game.  Did Stardock really learn from their mistakes?  That will be the thrust of nearly every review.  Regardless of the title, in the reviewers mind, SD has to prove that they overcame the WOM problems in order for FE to receive a good score.  

Besides, I think you're passing up a great opportunity to own up to WOM to a broader audience and to market the fact that SD is one of the few studios that listens to fans and owns it mistakes.  That is one of your biggest brand strengths (as well as the good games!).  Don't piss away a chance to play to that strength for zero gain. 

Does including Elemental in the title tie you directly to WOM?  Sure.  But dropping Elemental from the title doesn't break that tie.  It only makes it looked like you're ashamed and trying to hide it.  Own the link.  If WOM hadn't flopped the way it did, FE would not be as a good a game as it looks like it will end up.  

I agree with this. Keep the name as it is.

Also, "Fallen Enchantress" only makes sense as long as you are playing the campaign. If you're in sandbox the game is more about the world of Elemental.

August 24, 2012 9:46:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bingjack,

quoting post

Wait, you're selling Beta 4-A as a retail game on Steam...next week?  Am I understanding that right? Or are you simply talking pre-orders here?

I don't mean to be overly skeptical here, as I really enjoyed seeing a lot of the progress Beta 4 has made, but I wouldn't call it retail ready yet, by a long stretch. Setting aside balance, pathfinding, and systems issues, from a purely technical standpoint as a point of reference, the last two games I played in Beta 4 ended up with corrupted, unplayable save game files.  That's really bad. That doesn't happen to me in most other games beta games I play in a far earlier stage of development than E:FE is. The Save/Load system has always been unreliable from day one, with all sorts of weird stuff happening all the time, and that is fundamental to the game.

Even if you call it a "beta", if you take money for it over Steam and offer it as a download through them, I doubt most of the general Steam-going public will make that distinction. 

I'd hate to see the game come so far, only to succumb to bad word of mouth from a game that was sold to the public shy of the home stretch.  It would be particularly catastrophic in the context of the last game.

/hand-wringing off 

Dude, no. It's the first version of the beta that will be available to preorders through Steam. It's not goin retail yet. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time: