0.95 Can you cancel non-aggression pacts?

By on August 19, 2012 4:47:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

CHiZZoPs

Join Date 07/2010
+6

So Magnar started off giving me (Pariden) Gildar tributes and was all nice, so I accepted their non-aggression pact. They are now spreading like a cancer across the map, and are about to send pioneers through my territory, heading towards the only direction I can now expand. I want to cancel the non-aggression pact before they enter my territory to prevent this. I can't seem to do this in the diplomacy, however. Is it possible, or must I wait for it to expire? The declare war option is also greyed out.

Cheers!

Locked Post 4 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
August 19, 2012 10:55:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No. The point of a non-aggression pact is that you can't cancel it and declare war. What would be the point if you could?

August 19, 2012 11:03:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perhaps it would help if the terms of the non-aggression pact (ie, "We will treat your borders like a sieve, and proliferate like rabbits all around your territory") were stated out front, or at least linked to before you made your decision.

August 19, 2012 2:07:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
No. The point of a non-aggression pact is that you can't cancel it and declare war. What would be the point if you could?

The point would be have some assurance that you don't need to guard a border for a while.  Germany had a non-aggression pact with the Soviet Union until July of 1941 (when they invaded).

That said, I see what you're saying in game-play terms; it would seem a bit trifling.  A way to improve this would be to allow one to break a non-aggression pact at the cost of influence and lowering your relationship with everyone, because other factions see you as less trustworthy.

August 19, 2012 4:20:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The problem is that there isn't a distinction between a non-aggression pact (the promise not to go to war) and an open borders agreement (which allows one to romp all over the other nation's territory). As it stands, unless you've already covered most of your desired core lands with outposts, it's against your interests to accept a non-aggression pact because the AI will send an army of pioneers to steal every inch of land not nailed down with a border.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000079   Page Render Time: