Fallen Enchantress updated screenshots

By on July 18, 2012 7:12:40 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1478

Stardock is having a pretty good Summer and the good luck continues!  Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion is a huge hit! The Political Machine 2012 is due out at the end of July. And our new fantasy strategy game, Elemental: Fallen Enchantress, is about to go into beta 4.

First, a brief catch up:

Elemental is a world filled with magic, monsters, and an epic history.

Fallen Enchantress is a strategy game that takes place in that world.  It is approximately a century since a great cataclysm took place and now the world has been overrrun with monsters, bandits, and ancient terrors.  It is up to you to build a kingdom from the ground up to bring civilization back to the world.

Fallen Enchantress Beta 4 is around improving the UI and making your cities more interesting and special. We’ve also continued to enhance the elements found previously such as the graphics, animation, balance, AI, stability, performance, etc.

Here are some screenshots that you might have seen online:

CityTypes

When a settlement reaches a certain population, the player can choose its specialization which determines what city improvements are available.

FE_Economic_System

Cities in Fallen Enchantress use up multiple tiles based on what you build.  In Beta 4, players no longer have to manually place where they put improvements. Instead, players choose an improvement and it is placed for them. Additional improvements will tend to replace an existing one. This solves a problem we found in previous betas where cities became sprawling across the world and made navigation tedious late game (and it saves a lot of memory too).

New_Main_UI

We revamped the main user interface to be more intuitive and yet provide more information at the same time.  Now, what you see here is a later-gameish look so there’s a lot more “stuff” here. But as you can see, it’s overall a lot cleaner.  You can look at it and get an idea of what is going on.

NewClothMap

The cloth map has been revamped (planning on redoing the rivers too).  Unlike most (as in, pretty much every strategy game out there), you can rotate and zoom in on the map any way you want. You can zoom in and see an individual peasant working on a farm or zoom out and see a strategic view of the world presented like a fantasy cloth map.

NewResources

Beta 4 introduces a 3 core resource.  Previously, there were two: Grain and Materials. Grain could be converted into food or other things that might build up your economy. Materials could be converted into production or other things that increase how fast you can build things.  Beta 4 brings back the concept of Essence.  When the Cataclysm nearly wiped out the world, the powerful magic users known as the Titans, were consumed and their essence spread about the world. Essence can be used by Sorcerers (which you are one in the game) to cast powerful spells, enhance cities, and build incredibly powerful improvements that can turn the tide in a war.

We don’t anticipate Beta 4 coming out until August 16th. Sorry for the wait on this but there’s a lot of polish, testing, balancing, and UI to get in there.  And there will be a Beta 5 after Beta 4 at which point we’ll start thinking about a release date.  We’re in no hurry.  The objective here is to create the best fantasy strategy game we can possibly make.

Locked Post 48 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
July 19, 2012 4:50:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

YES!! The cloth map is getting some love .

July 19, 2012 4:52:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice. After the release of Elemental, will you incorporate some of the elemental backstory & functionality into your forthcoming RPG game?

July 19, 2012 5:40:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

Quoting Satrhan, reply 23Manual placement has been disabled to prevent exploits (finally).

I'm not going to touch the other parts of your posts because those are your opinions and you are welcome to them, but this is just silly. Nobody should want a feature removed because one aspect of it is exploitable. A reaction much more grounded in common sense would be to want the exploit fixed, IE get rid of the teleporting city borders.

The whole idea behind on-map-building was that you could see at a glance what a city has and does (Brad doesn't like city screens apparently). Small added benefit was that you could influence the look of your city, which was a nice idea I suppose. But everything else that flowed from it were unintended exploits. Snaking to include nearby resources into the city and it's defence? Exploit. Creating teleporting highways? Exploit. Snaking to expand your influence? Exploit. Blocking off strategic passages? Exploit. The last one may have been embraced, but was never really intended to block such ridiculous stretches that were possible in Ewom. Not to get all hostile here, but how can you talk about common sense when you're defending a system that allows a level 1 village with 10 people in it to become friggin Hadrian's wall?

July 19, 2012 5:40:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When is Beta 4 coming out, this Thursday soon, or soon like a month or two soon?

July 19, 2012 6:02:47 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'm guessing the possibility of actually getting an answer is low, but I assume you're not implementing DX10/11 on this title.  Any idea if it'll be in the next one?

July 19, 2012 6:10:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Savyg,
I'm guessing the possibility of actually getting an answer is low, but I assume you're not implementing DX10/11 on this title.  Any idea if it'll be in the next one?

I think they have talked about this, but they won't move to DX10+ until they can drop Win XP support.   I assume they are anxious to move to 64 bit and DX 10/11 as that will solve alot of the performance/memory issues they've seen in Elemental.

July 19, 2012 7:14:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Savyg,

Not any time soon. We'd have to cut out Windows XP support and we're not prepared to do that (and we can't afford to support two completely graphics systems).

July 19, 2012 7:25:47 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

You know what I didn't like about this game?  When a random monster could walk into a town and destroy it really quickly.  Play for 3 hours and your best city is demolished.  It should be more like the city is just inconvenienced by the monster.  Some penalty for some time.  Or the monster raids the town and makes off with a princess/prince (whatever) and a quest is generated.  I was real excited about this game and I think it still has potential.  

Something else I didn't like, it takes too long to do anything.  Even when you have it on the highest game speed.  

Not grumpy.  Just annoyed because I want to like it.

July 19, 2012 7:25:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The new cloth map looks very nice. It would be nice to hear more about how essence will function.

July 19, 2012 7:35:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In the first screenshot, it still says that an improvement is unlocked.  If not intentional, you should change it.

July 19, 2012 8:20:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedDwarf999,
You know what I didn't like about this game?  When a random monster could walk into a town and destroy it really quickly.  Play for 3 hours and your best city is demolished.  It should be more like the city is just inconvenienced by the monster.  Some penalty for some time.  Or the monster raids the town and makes off with a princess/prince (whatever) and a quest is generated.  I was real excited about this game and I think it still has potential.  

Something else I didn't like, it takes too long to do anything.  Even when you have it on the highest game speed.  

You know what; fatal consequences of bad player choices can be good for a game. I see nothing wrong in punishing players severely. It forces you to be more carefull in your choices. It's too much rewarding and too little punishment in todays games.

July 20, 2012 3:10:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love the new cloth map, love the changes to cities. And a third resource makes city placement a lot more interesting.

Can't wait to play this!

July 20, 2012 7:53:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting RedDwarf999,

Well I liked that monsters could destroy cities. That is why it is best to have some troops guarding the city. I would really hate if they went to a 'city is just inconvenienced by the monster' approch. It would feel more like I was playing FE: Hello Kitty edition. I mean it is bad enough that Champs are immortal (very Hello Kittyish.)

July 20, 2012 10:30:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NorsemanViking,

Quoting RedDwarf999, reply 34You know what I didn't like about this game?  When a random monster could walk into a town and destroy it really quickly.  Play for 3 hours and your best city is demolished.  It should be more like the city is just inconvenienced by the monster.  Some penalty for some time.  Or the monster raids the town and makes off with a princess/prince (whatever) and a quest is generated.  I was real excited about this game and I think it still has potential.  

You know what; fatal consequences of bad player choices can be good for a game. I see nothing wrong in punishing players severely. It forces you to be more carefull in your choices. It's too much rewarding and too little punishment in todays games.

Doesn't mean he have to like it though.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

July 20, 2012 11:17:36 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Murteas,

I think they have talked about this, but they won't move to DX10+ until they can drop Win XP support.   I assume they are anxious to move to 64 bit and DX 10/11 as that will solve alot of the performance/memory issues they've seen in Elemental.

It's possible but I usually have a pretty good memory for these things and didn't remember them ever talking about it (I know last time I asked noone said anything at all.)

Anyway, I'm expecting a serious dropoff in dx9 only games in 2013 and beyond so I was curious.

Quoting Draginol,

Not any time soon. We'd have to cut out Windows XP support and we're not prepared to do that (and we can't afford to support two completely graphics systems).

Thanks for the response BTW.

July 20, 2012 1:34:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Satrhan,
The whole idea behind on-map-building was that you could see at a glance what a city has and does (Brad doesn't like city screens apparently). Small added benefit was that you could influence the look of your city, which was a nice idea I suppose. But everything else that flowed from it were unintended exploits. Snaking to include nearby resources into the city and it's defence? Exploit. Creating teleporting highways? Exploit. Snaking to expand your influence? Exploit. Blocking off strategic passages? Exploit. The last one may have been embraced, but was never really intended to block such ridiculous stretches that were possible in Ewom. Not to get all hostile here, but how can you talk about common sense when you're defending a system that allows a level 1 village with 10 people in it to become friggin Hadrian's wall?

See my first post where I suggested a fix to all those navigation issues that allowed keeping the ability to place improvements however you like.

Teleporting borders was dumb. Impassible houses and farms on the outer edge of the city was dumb. Removing the ability to place improvements to counter those issues is dumb.

Note that this change still is not going to solve your complaints. I imagine cities are still going to get several tiles wide and instead of a thin wall they will be big impassible blocks that can be placed in slightly different strategic passes. It's still going to mess with navigation, units are still going to teleport across them, people are just going to build cities closer to create their silly teleportation systems across their empire. Instead of snakes doing all the things you are complaining about it will be blocks. Huge difference right?

July 20, 2012 3:01:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Loving the UI and cloth map changes...very nice! 

July 20, 2012 3:06:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The new cloth map looks very good. There is much more details and color than before and the art on the cloth is much better this way.

July 20, 2012 3:14:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NorsemanViking,

Quoting RedDwarf999, reply 34You know what I didn't like about this game?  When a random monster could walk into a town and destroy it really quickly.  Play for 3 hours and your best city is demolished.  It should be more like the city is just inconvenienced by the monster.  Some penalty for some time.  Or the monster raids the town and makes off with a princess/prince (whatever) and a quest is generated.  I was real excited about this game and I think it still has potential.  

The point of the game is to be fun.  Restarts and rage quits are really as bad as CTDs for a game like Elemental.

The presumption in your response is that the player made a choice at all.  That hasn't been my experience with monsters wiping out my cities.  Usually, I had no idea the monster existed until it pops out of FOW and obliterates my town.  If reload a save and mass all my units in that city, the monster army not only destroys my town, but also kills all my units.

If there was some event that caused that monster to attack my city, it happened in the FoW.  The player has no way of knowing what caused the monster attack (and in my experience 90% of monster attacks are completely arbitrary -- monsters from areas I haven't explored traveling across dozens of tiles, past other structures and cities to attack my city).  So what exactly is the lesson that the player is learning from that experience?

The OP is right, there should be options for monster attacks that are slightly less than complete devastation.  At the very least, a monster attack should be something a city can recover from.

Having a truly hostile world is a terrific feature of FE, and I am all for it.  But, like many things in the game currently, the implementation of this really cool idea leaves a lot to be desired.

July 20, 2012 7:09:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the game and it is a lot, I mean it is really a lot of fun but as of now it is a 7/10. They're still things that need work because right now I still think there isn't enough variety and that doesn't make me want to play all of the civilizations to get the entire experience. 

July 22, 2012 8:23:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sanati,

See my first post where I suggested a fix to all those navigation issues that allowed keeping the ability to place improvements however you like.

Teleporting borders was dumb. Impassible houses and farms on the outer edge of the city was dumb. Removing the ability to place improvements to counter those issues is dumb.

Note that this change still is not going to solve your complaints. I imagine cities are still going to get several tiles wide and instead of a thin wall they will be big impassible blocks that can be placed in slightly different strategic passes. It's still going to mess with navigation, units are still going to teleport across them, people are just going to build cities closer to create their silly teleportation systems across their empire. Instead of snakes doing all the things you are complaining about it will be blocks. Huge difference right?

I know it won't solve all my complaints, that's why I said in my first post that the change doesn't go far enough. You assume that all your complaints won't be addressed at all, which would be a mistake on the dev's part imho.

What is comes down to is that you like tile placement, having cities sprawl and give them odd shapes, while I don't see how that adds anything to gameplay (and has some negative effects on scale and immersion to boot)

September 20, 2012 8:28:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

my cloth map is a big black abyss with hills and forests drawn in, how do i make it look like yours?  when i ctrl+u i can see the nice cloth map but normally i can't...

September 21, 2012 8:37:23 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thread necro attack? I suggest making a new thread under the support forum with your issue "Thadianaphena".

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000594   Page Render Time: