[eMOD] Additional Faction Traits and Races

Version 2a

By on July 1, 2012 8:41:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DsRaider

Join Date 11/2008
+69

Version 2a

This mod is for everyone who wants more unique factions for large maps or is just tired of the same old factions. The ultimate goal of this mod is to allow players to try new play styles and keep the world of Elemental interesting.

This latest version includes the reintroduction of Capitar and Umbers as playable factions. It also includes a completely new race known as the Hashaini, based off the bandit tribes already in game. These new factions have custom units and traits.

Currently Included Traits:

Strengths

Archaeology: Allows you to build Ancient Monuments which replace prestigious locations, and boost Research as well as Influence. Ancient Temples produce double research.

Mercenary Legions: Units are trained 20% faster, and unlocks the Mercenary unit trait which gives a unit +1 Level, +1 wages, halves XP earned, and -40 to build time. Allows a player to build large temporary armies quickly. Also unlocks Alchemical Bombs and Catapults.

Horse Lords: Stable and Ranch tiles grant +1 materials, unlocks improved Destrier mounts, and Horse Markets which produce horses.

Kennel Masters: Allows players to build Blood Warg Mounts, and Warg Markets which produce Wargs. Warg Kennels, and Dens also spawn Hunting Warg packs.

Trade Houses: +15% to Gildar, and unlocks the Acquire Metal and Acquire Crystal Spells. They allow you to trade 50 gold for 10 metal or crystal.

Faith: Blesses all your unit with +10% Spell Resistance, and -5 unrest in all cities. Unlocks Amulet of Faith which boosts spell resistance and damage versus Elementals, and the Pilgrimage enchantment which boosts influence and growth in a city.

Purification: The opposite of Corruption. Unlocks the Purify spell which converts shards to life shards, and searing Light Spell which damages Twisted. More spells to come.

Extortion: Replaces Consulates with Tolls which produce 2 Gildar in the nearest city and require no tech. Black Markets are more effective and can be upgraded to Shadow Guilds.

Knife Fighters: Replaces shields with offhand daggers and swords which increase attack and can be thrown.

Weaknesses

Corrupt: -15% to Gildar and Influence

Skepticism: -15% to Mana. Oracles, Temples of Essence, Sacrificial Altars, and Clerics are disabled.

Xenophobia: -33% to Influence. Embassies and Missionary Halls are disabled.

Races/Factions

Umber: Kennel Masters, Master Chain, Assassin's Tools

Capitar: Civics, Trade Houses, Mercenary Legions

Hashaini: Knife Fighters, Extortion

Notes

-Thanks Aerion Istari for the sweet jewelry art.

-Thanks Heavenfall for the Duel Wielding skeleton.

-As you should whenever you create a new faction you should play through with them once and create units for them before letting the AI play as them.

-Now merged with Urxen redesign Mod.

Download: Here    *For FE v1.3

If you have an idea for a new or existing trait feel free to post it. I am always looking for cool ideas. I especially like ideas that make factions play differently.

Please post any bugs

Pinned, Locked Post 72 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 8, 2013 3:32:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated to fix several reported bugs.

February 20, 2013 7:17:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated and merged with Urxen redesign mod.

This mod now contains the Hashaini race/faction.

February 22, 2013 12:31:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looks and plays awesome! Great Jobs with the new Sov.

Id change Hashaini knife units though as they waste a lot of turns for little damage with throw knife.

March 7, 2013 1:20:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hi DsRaider i played with the mod a little bit more and i found some more stuff(im the guy from the nexus by the way):

* The Hashaini offhand knifes show up in the sov creation screen and they are free so basically they are op in sov creation.

* The Hashaini and Urxen pioneers are free so they are op compared to other faction pioneers.

* Xenophobia: -33% to Influence. Conclaves and Missionary Halls are disabled. -- you lose prestige not influence and conclaves are not disabled

please keep up the good work!!!

March 8, 2013 12:23:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the bug reports. I have updated the mod to take care of these issues.

March 17, 2013 11:13:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Working on some new stuff for this. Right now I am finishing up a new kingdom faction. Somewhat based on the Mongols they are a horsemen and nomadic race/faction. I am having trouble coming up with something cool in regards to their blood trait. I would appreciate any ideas anyone feels like sharing. It's tough to make standard humans be unique.

I am also thinking about adding a Giant race and a Dark Dwarves race eventually as well. The Giants will be tough but have more expensive units while the Dwarves will be focused on tall cities, or in their case deep cities.

April 3, 2013 8:20:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Will you be updating this for LH?

April 3, 2013 8:40:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes I plan in updating this for LH.

April 5, 2013 12:54:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

for my Horselord faction, i was going to have the blood trait auto-equip a warhorse, to always be mounted.

I also learned you can make horses per turn come from buildings, and from faction traits if that helps. I enjoy your mod, and it inspired my own work on the nexus regarding Faction Flaws, including unposted updates; I will wait for another patch to fix some bugs before I fix it up and get some other things up and running first.

April 5, 2013 4:04:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting thadianaphena,
for my Horselord faction, i was going to have the blood trait auto-equip a warhorse, to always be mounted.

An interesting idea but it might be a little OP, and you would want some infantry.

April 6, 2013 1:10:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This faction will be mounted the entire game, except for pioneers and only because I don't know how to make that happen.

Weakness, you ask?

<AbilityBonusOption InternalName="MythicBadEmpireSmithing">
            <AbilityBonusType>Player</AbilityBonusType>    
            <DisplayName>Bad Industry</DisplayName>
            <Description>All production is 20% longer, materials and upgrades are 20% more expensive.</Description>
            <Icon>Ability_Vulnerable_Icon.png</Icon>
            <GameModifier>
                <ModType>Player</ModType>
                <Attribute>AbilityBonus</Attribute>
                <StrVal>A_Training_RefinedCrystal</StrVal>
                <Value>20</Value>
                <Provides>20% Crystal costs for weapons and armor</Provides>
            </GameModifier>
            <GameModifier>
                <StrVal>A_Training_Metal</StrVal>
                <Value>20</Value>
                <Provides>20% Metal costs for weapons and armor</Provides>
            </GameModifier>            
            <GameModifier>
                <StrVal>A_Training_Labor_Equipment</StrVal>
                <Value>20</Value>
                <Provides>20% Production cost for weapons and armor</Provides>
            </GameModifier>
            <GameModifier>
                <StrVal>A_UnitUpgrades</StrVal>
                <Value>20</Value>
                <Provides>20% Upgrade costs</Provides>
            </GameModifier>
            <Cost>-2</Cost>
            <HideWhenUpgraded>0</HideWhenUpgraded>
            <IsCombatAbility>1</IsCombatAbility>
            <Type>Weakness</Type>
            <AIData AIPersonality="AI_General">
                <AIPriority>5</AIPriority>
            </AIData>
    </AbilityBonusOption>   

I am also trying to make them unable to use Wargs by being unable to build the Warg improvement.

April 6, 2013 1:44:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Making pioneers mounted is not that hard. Make a special type mount (i.e. copy the basic mount and remove the resource requirement) You know make a donkey type mount and add this mount to the equipment of a unit called pioneers (with a pre-req of your race) and then you should be able to build your mounted pioneers. All you really need are the following modifiers to make a pioneer. (Also, you should make these units non-designable).

<GameModifier>
    <ModType>Unit</ModType>
    <Attribute>UnlockAction</Attribute>
    <StrVal>BuildTown</StrVal>
</GameModifier>

<GameModifier>
    <ModType>Unit</ModType>
    <Attribute>UnlockAction</Attribute>
    <StrVal>BuildImprovement</StrVal>
    <StrVal2>Outpost</StrVal2>
</GameModifier>

April 7, 2013 3:12:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really enjoy this mod; I like the new options and factions.

BTW speaking of Horses, I created a faction that's VERY Horse centric called the Vestallans (I originally used the name for a Civ4 Fantasy mod civ).

The Vestallans are a faction of mancers with the following traits:

• Horse Lords
  • Legacy of Serrare
  • Faith 

They belong to a religion called the Church of the Eternal Flame; in my backstory, they left Capitar to settle the abandoned Iron Mines of the Northwest and into the Central wastes. They learned to ride and breed the wild horses native to the region; they also run bazaars in their cities and trade extensively with their neighbors.

Their leader is General Joanwallis, a brilliant General and channeler. She has the following attributes:

Magic:

• Life Disciple
  • Air Apprentice

Job: General

Skill: Tactician

She's nicknamed "The Golden Maiden" for her Golden Blonde hair. I made her based on a mashup of two historical figures: Joan of Arc and "Stonewall" Jackson.

Basically if the Vestallans get an adequate supply of Horses, they can field very fast and dangerous mounted Armies; In my current Game, I have mixed forces of Heavily armored Knights on heavy warhorses and Ignys Archers on Destrier mounts. So far Ive been effectively steamrolling my warlike neighbors HARD.

April 7, 2013 2:13:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm making a tech tree mod currently, can i use your alchemical fire and alchemical catapult in there?

April 8, 2013 1:57:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting BeelzebossErik,
I'm making a tech tree mod currently, can i use your alchemical fire and alchemical catapult in there?

Sure

April 17, 2013 1:32:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have been working on updating this for LH as I wait for the next patch. I got the Hashaini working but don't plan on releasing anything as the unit system could change at anytime. Also I'm not sure what is happening with Capitar and Umber. Depending on what they do with them I might not recreate them in this mod. If they stay as is then I will be because I don't like them as currently implemented, but that could easily change. So anyway what I have been working on is finishing off some art assets, as seen below. Not only the background but custom art for the improvements as well, trying to bring my custom stuff up to the same level as the original races.

April 17, 2013 10:00:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Looking forward to LH compatibility

May 24, 2013 6:51:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really hope this gets updated. Purification alone makes it worth it.

May I suggest two additional traits that I would love to see? These are taken from suggestions in the LH forum. Feel free to change the names.

1. Walled In: All city types can build Hedge Walls. (Maybe they can build the next level, too, if that is not too strong)
  2. Small Empire: You can only build three cities. These cities can choose two improvements on level up instead of one. Captured cities are converted to outposts if city limit is reached. (Perhaps an additional +1 to grain and material in each city, as well)
May 25, 2013 9:53:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sorry to double post, but I thought of a better way to implement "Walled In".

Protective: All city types can build Hedge Walls. Outposts create fences around any structure they are built next to.

By fences, I mean the same mechanic that cities use to absorb resource buildings. I am not sure if this is possible, but it would amazing if it was. It would really help a player protect their resources defensively, without having to constantly un-guard their outpost units.

May 30, 2013 12:47:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mark me down for craving this for LH as well, also some great additional ideas here.  Much luck to you, DsRaider.  My request/idea (as I'd have no idea how to accomplish myself), if you'd be kind enough to merely consider it:

Lone Wolf: Having grown up in such a harsh world, you've learned to get by on your own, and have always preferred to see things through without the help of others.  Your Sovereign starts out without any additional troops; completely alone.

Since the beginning of LH, this is something I've always wanted an option for.  As far as how it's recognized in-game, I suppose it would better qualify as a "weakness".  It would of course *greatly* increase the difficulty early-on, but I would imagine picking this trait should give at least 2-3 (perhaps more) additional points during character creation in order to strengthen your sovereign in other ways.  After all, they've probably learned a lot while living off the land for so long.

May 30, 2013 12:54:27 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Victor5,

Lone Wolf: Having grown up in such a harsh world, you've learned to get by on your own, and have always preferred to see things through without the help of others. Your Sovereign starts out without any additional troops; completely alone.

All sovereigns in their .xml determine how many troops they start with. I do not think it is possible to create such an ability. BUT you can go to the xml of your custom sovereign and delete the summoned unit section, then you have your lone wolf sovereign.

Might I recommend than going this harshly, but instead give your sovereign a bonus for being without troops at all. similar to the blood trait of Tarth.

May 30, 2013 1:15:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ah thanks, actually.  I wasn't aware you could make that adjustment so easily.  It's a shame if you don't believe it can be done as a trait, but this is certainly a worthwhile alternative.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001438   Page Render Time: