[eMOD] Additional Faction Traits and Races

Version 2a

By on July 1, 2012 8:41:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

DsRaider

Join Date 11/2008
+69

Version 2a

This mod is for everyone who wants more unique factions for large maps or is just tired of the same old factions. The ultimate goal of this mod is to allow players to try new play styles and keep the world of Elemental interesting.

This latest version includes the reintroduction of Capitar and Umbers as playable factions. It also includes a completely new race known as the Hashaini, based off the bandit tribes already in game. These new factions have custom units and traits.

Currently Included Traits:

Strengths

Archaeology: Allows you to build Ancient Monuments which replace prestigious locations, and boost Research as well as Influence. Ancient Temples produce double research.

Mercenary Legions: Units are trained 20% faster, and unlocks the Mercenary unit trait which gives a unit +1 Level, +1 wages, halves XP earned, and -40 to build time. Allows a player to build large temporary armies quickly. Also unlocks Alchemical Bombs and Catapults.

Horse Lords: Stable and Ranch tiles grant +1 materials, unlocks improved Destrier mounts, and Horse Markets which produce horses.

Kennel Masters: Allows players to build Blood Warg Mounts, and Warg Markets which produce Wargs. Warg Kennels, and Dens also spawn Hunting Warg packs.

Trade Houses: +15% to Gildar, and unlocks the Acquire Metal and Acquire Crystal Spells. They allow you to trade 50 gold for 10 metal or crystal.

Faith: Blesses all your unit with +10% Spell Resistance, and -5 unrest in all cities. Unlocks Amulet of Faith which boosts spell resistance and damage versus Elementals, and the Pilgrimage enchantment which boosts influence and growth in a city.

Purification: The opposite of Corruption. Unlocks the Purify spell which converts shards to life shards, and searing Light Spell which damages Twisted. More spells to come.

Extortion: Replaces Consulates with Tolls which produce 2 Gildar in the nearest city and require no tech. Black Markets are more effective and can be upgraded to Shadow Guilds.

Knife Fighters: Replaces shields with offhand daggers and swords which increase attack and can be thrown.

Weaknesses

Corrupt: -15% to Gildar and Influence

Skepticism: -15% to Mana. Oracles, Temples of Essence, Sacrificial Altars, and Clerics are disabled.

Xenophobia: -33% to Influence. Embassies and Missionary Halls are disabled.

Races/Factions

Umber: Kennel Masters, Master Chain, Assassin's Tools

Capitar: Civics, Trade Houses, Mercenary Legions

Hashaini: Knife Fighters, Extortion

Notes

-Thanks Aerion Istari for the sweet jewelry art.

-Thanks Heavenfall for the Duel Wielding skeleton.

-As you should whenever you create a new faction you should play through with them once and create units for them before letting the AI play as them.

-Now merged with Urxen redesign Mod.

Download: Here    *For FE v1.3

If you have an idea for a new or existing trait feel free to post it. I am always looking for cool ideas. I especially like ideas that make factions play differently.

Please post any bugs

Pinned, Locked Post 72 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 27, 2012 1:25:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There's a link on the very first post.

Anyway, here's some ideas for a faction trait,s since you said you're looking for more. 

How about a trait that removes shields replacing them with specific off-hand weapons.  Could be some new ones in addition to off-hand versions of already existing weapons.  Not sure what you'd call it.

Another idea--Wild Magic, which causes each city to have exactly 1 essence, regardless of a where it's built.  Improvements that add essence would still work as normal.  Could also through in that each city produces an extra manna per turn too, if that's not powerful enough.

Maybe Inspired, which causes more knowledge to be produced for research than normal, and allows the faction to get more benefit out of knowledge received.  Haven't crawled through the files yet, so don't know how possible that one is.

For negatives, maybe one that would make the faction unable to use mounts of any kind.  Not sure what to call that one either.

Maybe another one that causes it so that town choose their specializations randomly.  Call that one Independent Cities maybe.

October 27, 2012 1:28:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DsRaider,

Quoting crimsongekko, reply 25this looks pretty cool, is it stormworld compatible ?

I would imagine that custom faction with these traits would not clash with Stormworld. No promises though.

Yes, it looks compatible. Keep in mind building custom factions out of Stormworld races is not supported.

October 27, 2012 1:34:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting catwhowalksbyhimself,
There's a link on the very first post.

Which directs to a page on WinCustomize full of mods for the first Elemental game?  The most recent upload was months ago, what am I missing?

October 27, 2012 1:41:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,
Which directs to a page on WinCustomize full of mods for the first Elemental game? The most recent upload was months ago, what am I missing?

If it says v0.94 it's the right file.

October 27, 2012 1:44:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You are correct, I clicked on it, then checked it out.  It appears that the link points to a missing or non existent entry.  Deleted perhaps?

Quoting DsRaider,

Quoting cardinaldirection, reply 28Which directs to a page on WinCustomize full of mods for the first Elemental game? The most recent upload was months ago, what am I missing?

If it says v0.94 it's the right file.

Except it doesn't point to a file anymore.  There doesn't seem to be a file 44, so it throws you to the main menu for Elemental mods instead.

October 27, 2012 1:56:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Either I'm an idiot or the link is broken.  Has anyone actually downloaded this?

October 27, 2012 2:15:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Click on the link and try to download it yourself.  Your other racial mod is there and that link works fine, but this one is not listed.

October 27, 2012 2:27:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Try logging into the site. It is run by Stardock and thus if you have a Impulse account you can login there.

The site appears to be having problems... I will try and get a different host up.

October 27, 2012 2:30:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Logging in makes no difference.  The mod simply is not there.  Again try it yourself.  It's possible that it was there at some point but that something happened.  Again, his other race mod can be accessed just fine.

EDIT: I should say your race mod. Mixed up who was who.

October 27, 2012 2:34:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can still access it if I am logged in.

October 27, 2012 2:52:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok Sorry for the trouble. Here is a Dropbox Link.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/20690209/Add%20Faction%20Traits%20Mod%20v0.941.rar

I even threw in some new stuff just for you guys.

Namely the Purification trait. It's basically a Kingdom version of Death Magic. The only two spells for it right now are Purify and Searing Light though.

October 27, 2012 4:28:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This looks cool, I will check it out.

November 18, 2012 12:13:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Are you still going to work on this one? 

There are still a few things I would like to see in game and I am not considering myself the modder to it myself...

Re-work of existing Cult of Hundred Eyes trait to also enable spider mounts (model already exists in game used as default mod for certain hero, just mount is not giving any stats bonuses like horses and wargs)

+ adding similar traits working for other creatures, lets say lizards in general, allowing to train skaths and allowing Skath mounts, while kennel mastars you added also allowing to train wargs as units similar to one you can tame as beastmaster etc.

There is also a creature, I can't remember how it's called, similar to warg, generally some large canine creature which could be used as mount.

November 24, 2012 1:51:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Updated to fix Skath Mount Bug.

November 25, 2012 7:19:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

folder still has a dot in the name which should be changed to underscore. also I think the Gfx folder should merge with the one in Mods folder alongside with the Shadows folder ( all .dds and .png go there )

November 25, 2012 8:28:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

can't remember what one says when they are marking a page to come back to when not so drunk, so I"m marking this page to come back to when not so durnk

November 26, 2012 3:45:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
the thing I love most about this mod is, it allows me to create the wanderlust/heroic/betrayer faction I wanted thanx to the new cumulative weaknesses
December 17, 2012 7:59:39 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Confused on how to get this to work.  Is it still compatiable with Stormworld?  I've put the contents of the .zip into the mods folder, but don't have the new traits showing up.

December 17, 2012 8:14:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

replace the dot in the mod folder with an underscore, works for me

December 17, 2012 8:21:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

That did it!  Thanks.

January 28, 2013 1:33:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is this being maintained at all? I noticed that the new faction weaknesses that say they reduce your influence gain instead reduce your growth rate. Having both of them means -70% growth in every city, so you never level or expand. By the way, should you really be allowed to have multiple of the new weaknesses and 1 old weakness for a theoretical total of 4 extra faction points if you wanted?

January 28, 2013 8:56:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is an error in this trait : it reduces Prestige instead of DiplomaticCapital (IE influence). You'll have to modify it yourself.

If I'm right (I'm not at home and cannot access my Mods folder), the bugged trait is Corrupted ...  then edit AddFactionTrait.xml, find the entry for "Corrupted" ability, and replace Prestige by DiplomaticCapital.

January 28, 2013 9:38:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good spot, thanks for the heads up AlienFromBeyond and Furibar.

I have just corrected my local copy of the Corrupt Ability (Weakness).  Unless I am mistaken the entry should now look like this for those who would like to update their copies and aren't sure what to do.  Modify this entry (see the bold bit) in the AddFactionTraits.xml file.

<AbilityBonus InternalName="CorruptAbility">
   <AbilityBonusType>Player</AbilityBonusType>
   <AbilityBonusOption InternalName="Corrupt">
      <DisplayName>Corrupt</DisplayName>
      <Description>-20% to Gildar and Influence</Description>
      <Icon>Ability_Corrupt_Icon.png</Icon>
      <GameModifier>
         <ModType>Player</ModType>
         <Attribute>AbilityBonus</Attribute>
         <StrVal>A_Gold</StrVal>
         <Value>-20</Value>
         <Provides>-20% Gold production</Provides>
      </GameModifier>
      <GameModifier>
         <ModType>Player</ModType>
         <Attribute>AbilityBonus</Attribute>
         <StrVal>A_DiplomaticCapital</StrVal>
         <Value>-20</Value>
         <Provides>-20% Influence production</Provides>
      </GameModifier>
      <Cost>-1</Cost>
      <HideWhenUpgraded>0</HideWhenUpgraded>
      <AIData AIPersonality="AI_General">
         <AIPriority>5</AIPriority>
      </AIData>
   </AbilityBonusOption>
</AbilityBonus>

Thanks again to DsRaider for a neat little mod.

January 28, 2013 10:08:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the heads up. I will get this fixed soon.

January 28, 2013 3:07:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, perhaps the tooltip for the Mercenary unit trait should be adjusted. It's not really increasing the Wages by 1 but instead just giving you -1 Gildar production a turn. Normally this workaround is equivalent, except in the case of a Warlord Sovereign. Unfortunately the only wage unit stat I could find was one that set the wage to a specific number (used for the Quendar slaves) rather than modify the current wage. Just so it's clear for others who maybe thought to combo these together.

As a side note, the description for the Ancient Monument Archaeology unlocks says it provides 1 influence and 2 research a turn. However, the faction trait and in the xml (and thus the actual effect) has it only provide 2 research. I'd edit it myself, but I'm not sure if the intent was for it to be an improved (1 influence + 2 research) or an alternate (2 research) Monument. I'm guessing probably the latter.

Oh, and one little typo. When making a custom faction Archaeology says it lets you buy "excauvation" scrolls. Should be Excavation Scrolls.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001515   Page Render Time: