The state of Steam in 2012

By on June 5, 2012 6:47:22 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1495

steamLet me get this out of the way: I like Steam. I like Valve.

We have a poll up right now that asks whether you use Steam. Let us know please.

I’ve been in digital distribution since before digital distribution was a thing.  The very first computer game that was launched at retail and digitally distributed was Galactic Civilizations back in February 2003.

For us, digital distribution was a matter of life or death. Consider this, how many other independent (or heck, just non-publicly traded) game studios have been around 20 years? Go ahead. Count them up. Not many eh?

I incorporated Stardock back in 1993 from my college dorm room. And I can tell you, if it weren’t for digital distribution, we would have stopped making games a long time ago.  That’s because the more people that are between you and your customer, the more opportunities there are for theft. Not by players but by retailers, publishers, distributors, etc. 

One of the reasons why the whole “piracy” bellowing from publishers irritated me was because the biggest obstacle to getting paid for my work wasn’t from pirates. It was from the middle men.

In 1994, we released our first game. Galactic Civilizations for OS/2.  It was published by a company called Advanced Idea Machines.  The game was a huge hit. So I heard anyway. We didn’t get paid. And being a poor college student at the time, I couldn’t afford a lawyer.

So in 1996, we released Galactic Civilizations 2 for OS/2.  This time we released it ourselves. But our retail distributor, Micro Central, went bankrupt and didn’t pay us and our mail order distributor, Blue Orchards went out of business as well and didn’t pay us.

So then we moved to Windows and we released Galactic Civilizations for Windows, published by Strategy First….and again, didn’t get paid.

Do you see a pattern here?

What saved us was digital distribution.  With it, we could sell directly to customers, cutting out the middle man.

As you can imagine, when Steam came out we started to get a little nervous. Not because of the competition but because we feared the idea that we would one day need to sell our software through a third party and hence risk not getting paid…again.

As it had turned out, our fears have been unwarranted.  Impulse, now owned by Gamestop, pays like clock work and so does Steam.  By contrast, with a retail distributor you were lucky to get paid merely 90 days late. And that’s not counting the obnoxious and expensive RMA games they play. I like the service Steam provides. They’re easy to work with, they’re honest, and they’re passionate about what they do.  And most importantly, they let me, as a game developer, focus on what matters: making games.

Anyway, the point here being, what are your feelings on Steam these days?

Locked Post 464 Replies +2 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
aeligos
athelasloraiel
June 12, 2012 2:32:17 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting ,

Let me get this out of the way: I like Steam. I like Valve.
We have a poll up right now that asks whether you use Steam. Let us know please.
I’ve been in digital distribution since before digital distribution was a thing.  The very first computer game that was launched at retail and digitally distributed was Galactic Civilizations back in February 2003.
For us, digital distribution was a matter of life or death. Consider this, how many other independent (or heck, just non-publicly traded) game studios have been around 20 years? Go ahead. Count them up. Not many eh?
I incorporated Stardock back in 1993 from my college dorm room. And I can tell you, if it weren’t for digital distribution, we would have stopped making games a long time ago.  That’s because the more people that are between you and your customer, the more opportunities there are for theft. Not by players but by retailers, publishers, distributors, etc. 
One of the reasons why the whole “piracy” bellowing from publishers irritated me was because the biggest obstacle to getting paid for my work wasn’t from pirates. It was from the middle men.
In 1994, we released our first game. Galactic Civilizations for OS/2.  It was published by a company called Advanced Idea Machines.  The game was a huge hit. So I heard anyway. We didn’t get paid. And being a poor college student at the time, I couldn’t afford a lawyer.
So in 1996, we released Galactic Civilizations 2 for OS/2.  This time we released it ourselves. But our retail distributor, Micro Central, went bankrupt and didn’t pay us and our mail order distributor, Blue Orchards went out of business as well and didn’t pay us.
So then we moved to Windows and we released Galactic Civilizations for Windows, published by Strategy First….and again, didn’t get paid.
Do you see a pattern here?
What saved us was digital distribution.  With it, we could sell directly to customers, cutting out the middle man.
As you can imagine, when Steam came out we started to get a little nervous. Not because of the competition but because we feared the idea that we would one day need to sell our software through a third party and hence risk not getting paid…again.
As it had turned out, our fears have been unwarranted.  Impulse, now owned by Gamestop, pays like clock work and so does Steam.  By contrast, with a retail distributor you were lucky to get paid merely 90 days late. And that’s not counting the obnoxious and expensive RMA games they play. I like the service Steam provides. They’re easy to work with, they’re honest, and they’re passionate about what they do.  And most importantly, they let me, as a game developer, focus on what matters: making games.
Anyway, the point here being, what are your feelings on Steam these days?

So, you're trying to say is fuck publishers?  Yeah, I can see that.

June 12, 2012 5:57:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

olek_skilgannon,

MAN!   At first I thought the Australian dollar to be crap but it's almost as valuable as a US dollar!

That's fucked up!   You guys are getting hosed bigtime!!

Why is Australia being treated as the ass of the world regarding games and gameprices?

June 12, 2012 7:57:21 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

campaigner, my guess is that we are a small market, and the publishers charge small market a huge markup  thinking that there is large costs in translating to the local language (which btw here IS english not americal(which is based upon english)).

harpo

June 13, 2012 1:11:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"For those who still blame steam for it's unfair regional prices please read this part of their wikipedia page:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steam_(software)#Regional_restrictions_and_pricing"

"Steam allows developers and publishers to change prices and restrict game availability depending on the user's location"

If steam allows it then they are to blame.

June 13, 2012 2:03:12 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

By that logic, when someone is stabbed the government is to blame, because they allow people to buy knives and apparently the stabber is innocent.

It's much more fair to the developers that they allow them to change the prices. This way a developer could lower the price of a game in a given region based on low sales in that region. Don't always assume people will do the worst if they're allowed to, check out the regional prices of Stardock published games:

http://www.steamprices.com/us/search?sins

Steam isn't supposed to be the savior of PC gamers, they're the saviors of PC developers. It's up to the devs to be nice to their customers.

June 13, 2012 5:16:32 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting FrostyThundertrod,

Europeans pay more becus of taxes. Steam can't be blamed for your govements impossing 17% VAT tax

yeah sure, that's exactly why for example i pre-ordered skyrim on amazon.fr and got it for 30€ while it was at least 50€ on steam... and why of ALL retailers/online vendors, steam prices are ALWAYS the highest.

for me,steam prices are only interesting during 75% sales. and my 40 or so games catalog on steam is split between steamworks games i buy elsewhere and non-steamworks game i buy during special sales.

June 13, 2012 5:56:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting XATHOS,

Considering they're a publisher...uhh...yeah, that's it, sure. 

June 13, 2012 8:42:23 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Savyg,

Quoting XATHOS, reply 176

Considering they're a publisher...uhh...yeah, that's it, sure. 

Talking about companies that solely publish, not people that also develop, as well.  He's implying they're like leeches, and just shit on the little guy (from their experience, you always have exceptions to the rule).

June 13, 2012 1:26:43 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting XATHOS,

Talking about companies that solely publish, not people that also develop, as well.  He's implying they're like leeches, and just shit on the little guy (from their experience, you always have exceptions to the rule).

Publishers certainly had their share of shifty business tactics in the 90s and still do somewhat today, but 90% of the time they're aboveboard now.

Pretty much everyone knows what the hell is going on now, whereas back then it was all behind the curtain so to speak.  I'm sure the legal side of things has improved too for small businesspeople, and the no-name publishers largely went out of business.

Hell most major publishers both publish and develop, considering their amount of wholly owned studios.

Of course with digital distribution it hardly matters anymore, self publishing is no longer impossible. 

June 13, 2012 4:24:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Savyg,

Of course with digital distribution it hardly matters anymore, self publishing is no longer impossible. 

Key part here.  Everything else doesn't matter.  DD is the new format for small indy studios to get things done.  We still have issues with publishers like Ubisoft jamming their fucking terrible DRM into games and destroying decent titles with it (see Heroes VI), but I digress.

June 13, 2012 5:39:31 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting katalist,

Valve has already said in the past that IF steam goes down foe what ever reason, THEY WILL make all the games still available to the customers.

So no worries on that front.

Unless they changed their terms of service from a few months ago... (read it back then) If they give 30 days notice they no longer are required to provide the game after that notice, even if closing their doors forever.  If you miss the notice for whatever reason, sucks to be you for the last chance to DL the game through them. 

So in my opinion I'm forced to use them for some games I want, like Sword of the Stars 2 as example, but keep a backup of the latest updated version offline on disk in the case of something happening to steam or my connection or PC and connection so that way I still have access to my game. The only down side is making sure you back up your activation information... forget that and you're S.O.L. if you catch my drift.

(No, not providing the credential backup process info. So please do not ask, it is a pain... It's already out there if you Google it.)

Personally, I would prefer downloading directly from StarDock like I use to in the past. It was the reason I purchased GalacticCiv 1 and 2.  No DRM, no need to be online to activate once you had it. It was it. Download, backup if you want, play, enjoy.  Everything has become so complicated these days for a simple enjoyment for a few hours.

Again, my basic reply is 'I use it because I'm forced to use it. I do not like it. Will avoid it if at all possible.' Even if it means going months without a game to get it from a retail location (cough) or another download provider like GoG.com or GMG (GreenMan Gaming) who try to avoid the DRM scene.

June 13, 2012 5:48:50 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting DavidFalcon,
or another download provider like GoG.com or GMG (GreenMan Gaming) who try to avoid the DRM scene.

Greenmangaming avoiding the DRM scene? They sell Steam/Origin keys and the rest requires their "Capsule" client.

Quoting Savyg,

While I'm here, that's another myth.  SOME games European users pay more.  Some games are cheaper for European users.

http://steamreview.org/posts/localisedprices/

Mind you that was in 2008.  I doubt I could find a more recent example.

It's true for most games though, but yes there are rare cases where games cost less for us in the EU. Mostly those are from THQ though (so I hope they stick around >.<)

June 13, 2012 6:53:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Let me preface this that as a former OS/2 user, I can out-kook pretty much anyone.

Now, that said, running a business is remarkably similar to playing a strategy game. Seriously. If an idiot like me can build a business from his dorm room into one generating tens of millions of dollars each year, you can probably assume that a lot of the so-called skills involved are very similar to playing a game like Civilization (or Rail Road tycoon).  The reason most businesses fail is for the same reason that most people lose at "Easy" difficulty -- they're just not good at the trade-offs.

When you use Steamworks, you're making a trade off.  You will lose some customers.  Similarly, not having your game at retail is a trade off. It's one we made with Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.  We lost vastly **vastly** more sales not having it at retail than we did by using Steamworks.  But the trade-off was that we were able to have a release date of our own choosing and frankly, if I have to choose between money and having a universally beloved game people like, I'm going to choose the latter every time.

Personally, I don't like games requiring to use Steam.  But, as a developer, my options are to either spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing stuff ourselves or letting Steam do it.

The only reason Elemental isn't using Steamworks is because I personally vetoed it. The IT team just hates having to keep running the rather expensive infrastructure we have to add, update, and deliver games to users. They'd rather hand it all over to Steam and be done with it so that they can focus on other things.  That's the trade off we're facing.

The DRM thing that I've seen people mention is meaningless. That's not the reason companies use Steam.  They use it because Valve is willing, for free, to handle all the updating and distribution.  It costs us about $10k per month just for Sins of a Solar Empire dedicated bandwidth for the hundreds of thousands of users who are updating its various versions or reinstalling it each month.  That's a lot of money when Valve is ready to handle all that for free.  And that's just the bandwidth. Forget all the people involved that have to get the files updated, test the updates, handle customer issues, etc.

June 13, 2012 9:05:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow....I had no idea that you guys had that much trouble to start.

Its a wonder you were able to last this long if you went through all those iliterations without getting paid, regardless of how relatively cheap development of games were back then.

Its surprising after that initial trouble you elected to sell Impulse....I would have thought you would have gotten super paranoid and kept it all inhouse.

June 13, 2012 9:52:22 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I couldn't find an option on the survey for me. It's not that I don't like Steam, it's that I LOATHE it.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept. When people say they like Steam because it puts your games in 1 easy location, helps the publishers/devs, helps indies, etc: I'm all for that. The problem isn't the concept, but Steam itself. It is a particularly terrible implementation of it all.

Take for instance this morning: I still haven't figured out what it was, but Steam refused to load for half of the morning. I had internet, but it would just sit at the "Connecting to steam account" window. Authorization never failed, it just sat there. The result of this? I couldn't play any of those games. Try to launch a game, and it forces Steam to try and load.

Yes, this finally fixed itself and steam is working again: But it is something that NEVER, not once, ever, should have happened. A problem with 1 program, should not cause a problem with dozens of other programs. This isn't the operating system, it's a digital distribution system...that is then denying access to my purchased products.

Imagine buying a car, and in the morning when you go to work you find the engine is sitting in the garage, a man standing over it telling you can not have access to your car because the dealer that originally sold it to you is at home sick.

When you add in Steam using excessive resources, sometimes slow to respond, crashes, etc. The previous problem is greatly compounded.

I have many other issues with Steam as well. Why is it so difficult to stick my games where I want them? I have 4 Hard Drives, with a total of 6 partitions for various things. They hard drives range from a large, but slower bulk storage, to WD Raptors, and even a SSD. While most of my games go on 1 partition, for various reasons others go on other drives. Obviously I am not going to let Steam anywhere near my SSD, largely because of how large my Steam library has unfortunately become. However, I bought the SSD for a reason: Many games see dramatic improvements from it, and I would love to put whatever games I feel like, when I feel like it, onto my SSD. Steam tells me no.

I didn't spend $7,000 I earned in Iraq for some company to tell me how I should use my computer. I'd buy an Apple if I wanted that stupidity. I spent a fortune on my computer so that it could be MY computer. Exactly how I wanted it.

These aren't rare issues either. I run into a problem or annoyance with Steam nearly every single time I try to play a game that uses it. This has been going on for years. Last few days, Steam has been enjoying preventing me from playing my games by forcing me to convert all of the game content on games after I try to launch them. They never asked me if I wanted to convert the games. There is no choice to skip it. It is not possible to play one of these games that need to converted, until after conversion is complete ( short of cracking the game that is. )

The worst part of all is simply being forced to use Steam at all. I loved being able to download games with Impulse...but launch the games freely. Impulse didn't try to get in the way, it was there just to help. I always felt like games I got off Impulse were MY games, not rent-a-games like with Steam, where I have to play by their rules.

Honestly, I probably wouldn't have bought Rebellion if I had noticed that note about requiring Steam. Unfortunately, that is 1 more game stuck to that mess of an obtrusive program. In fact, I would go so far as to label Steam as a Computer Virus.

It's a program that can enter the computer without the users knowledge or authorization ( such as if you buy a game that requires it. This is where I first wound up with it. I bought Dawn of War 2, which I didn't know, but it requires and installs Steam. ), and causes undesired results, or performs undesired tasks.

The worst part is that I know Valve won't ever change any of that. Too many people are willing to blindly look past the problems, and Devs will continue to gladly use the service due to its wide availability and other advantages as mentioned by Frogboy. All the while, us the consumer, will be the ones hurt time and again.

June 13, 2012 10:15:09 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

I preferred Impulse to Steam before the former was bought out by Gamestop; I felt it was better in terms of DRM than Steam, and in particular Steam's infamous having to be online in order to enable offline gaming was not an issue with Impulse. Reason for cutting it was Gamestop; nothing to do with the program itself.

That being said, I have nothing particularly against Steam. It works well for the most part, and has great deals. I buy hard-copies of games when possible, with the exception of things on sale. Even Fallout: New Vegas, which requires Steam to play, I purchased physically.

The one thing I really like about Steam is, as mentioned in the OP, was how much easier it is for the actual producers and publishers. Or to be more precise, it lets some indie companies get their name out there, which I personally would have never heard of, let alone be able to purchase their games, if not for Steam.

Quoting zechio,
However, I bought the SSD for a reason: Many games see dramatic improvements from it, and I would love to put whatever games I feel like, when I feel like it, onto my SSD. Steam tells me no.

You could put a symbiotic link between the Steam\steamapps\common\*game in question* folder and said folder on the SSD. I know I use this in order to keep my Sins mods in a different location than the default partition, which is the boot partition.

June 14, 2012 4:46:06 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Lavo_2,
Quoting zechio, reply 191However, I bought the SSD for a reason: Many games see dramatic improvements from it, and I would love to put whatever games I feel like, when I feel like it, onto my SSD. Steam tells me no.

You could put a symbiotic link between the Steam\steamapps\common\*game in question* folder and said folder on the SSD. I know I use this in order to keep my Sins mods in a different location than the default partition, which is the boot partition.

Use SteamMover. I use it all the time to move games between my HDD and SSD. It's really just the click of a button and you're done.

Personally I'm happy with the conveniences Steam offers me and I've barely ever hit the downsides. The program almost never has a problem, I have a great internet connection and for the few times I didn't Offline mode worked fine for me, same as it does on my secondary computer. My download speeds are always close to cap my cap as well. And by now, even if I had a game that doesn't need Steam, I'd be running it for the overlay anyway so I can stay in touch with my friendslist while I play.

I agree being able to select where the install would go if so desired would have been useful, but with programs like Steammover it doesn't really bother me. Plus I can use it to move non-steam games off and on my SSD as well, so it's good to have anyway.

I'm eagerly awaiting the arrival of Elemental on Steam. (I assume shortly before or on the release of Fallen Enchantress)

June 14, 2012 10:29:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Let me preface this that as a former OS/2 user, I can out-kook pretty much anyone.

Now, that said, running a business is remarkably similar to playing a strategy game. Seriously. If an idiot like me can build a business from his dorm room into one generating tens of millions of dollars each year, you can probably assume that a lot of the so-called skills involved are very similar to playing a game like Civilization (or Rail Road tycoon).  The reason most businesses fail is for the same reason that most people lose at "Easy" difficulty -- they're just not good at the trade-offs.

When you use Steamworks, you're making a trade off.  You will lose some customers.  Similarly, not having your game at retail is a trade off. It's one we made with Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.  We lost vastly **vastly** more sales not having it at retail than we did by using Steamworks.  But the trade-off was that we were able to have a release date of our own choosing and frankly, if I have to choose between money and having a universally beloved game people like, I'm going to choose the latter every time.

Personally, I don't like games requiring to use Steam.  But, as a developer, my options are to either spend hundreds of thousands of dollars developing stuff ourselves or letting Steam do it.

The only reason Elemental isn't using Steamworks is because I personally vetoed it. The IT team just hates having to keep running the rather expensive infrastructure we have to add, update, and deliver games to users. They'd rather hand it all over to Steam and be done with it so that they can focus on other things.  That's the trade off we're facing.

The DRM thing that I've seen people mention is meaningless. That's not the reason companies use Steam.  They use it because Valve is willing, for free, to handle all the updating and distribution.  It costs us about $10k per month just for Sins of a Solar Empire dedicated bandwidth for the hundreds of thousands of users who are updating its various versions or reinstalling it each month.  That's a lot of money when Valve is ready to handle all that for free.  And that's just the bandwidth. Forget all the people involved that have to get the files updated, test the updates, handle customer issues, etc.

I understand the trade off and sympathize with the difficulty you face in needing to deal with steam versus having to allocate resources to do the job yourselves.

Unfortunately zechio has got it spot on. Steam abuses its customers and it's sad that most customers don't even know they're getting abused. If you want steam to handle the FE multiplayer, please make it that....and JUST that.....a FE multiplayer module that updates the FE game and cripples it to steam. IMO, multiplayer isn't needed for 4x games anyways.

I hope that at the end of this tunnel, I am holding a disk in my hands that say "FE, Steam NOT required on your system to install, update, or play."

June 14, 2012 10:36:53 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Unfortunately zechio has got it spot on. Steam abuses its customers and it's sad that most customers don't even know they're getting abused.

Strong words.

How exactly do you feel 'abused' by Steam?

June 14, 2012 10:51:41 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Welcome to the club! Though man OS/2 was pretty damn awesome back in the day. I was even trying to run Gravis Ultrasound instead of SoundBlaster which was not a ton of fun 'hoping' some game was going to support its obviously superior sound. Eh the good old days.

I'm curious if you can elaborate on this? Given the fact that Gamestop tends to put PC games in a single rack in the back store room washroom with a door labelled "Beware the Lepoard", and Walmart is so close to putting PC gaming on the 'above eye level' racks of death, you'd think that retail PC gaming was all but dead to the world. I'm curious how the increase sales would work given that, and how that ties into your previous point about not getting paid by publishers?

In terms of 'not getting paid for 90 days' yeah that appears to be normal across the board. Even gigantic multi-national corporations can't get paid sometimes. The Italians think the '90 days overdue' means that they have 90 days to not pay, and another 90 days after the 90 days overdue. India wouldn't pay us because they wouldn't download the stupid 200MB ISO file. They had to be sent a CD via mail (digital distribution at its best!) Which given the fact that every single province has their own 'customs agency' it has to get processed through, just to deliver the CD took 6 months.

June 14, 2012 10:55:56 AM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Steam is not flawless but I already own over thousand games at steam and will happily continue to be one of their customers

June 14, 2012 11:00:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

o  o  o

Unfortunately zechio has got it spot on. Steam abuses its customers and it's sad that most customers don't even know they're getting abused. If you want steam to handle the FE multiplayer, please make it that....and JUST that.....a FE multiplayer module that updates the FE game and cripples it to steam. IMO, multiplayer isn't needed for 4x games anyways.

I hope that at the end of this tunnel, I am holding a disk in my hands that say "FE, Steam NOT required on your system to install, update, or play."

Agree !  Completely agree ... Well said, Zechio! ... and Well said, GFireflyE! 

June 14, 2012 11:41:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Pheace,

Quoting GFireflyE, reply 194
Unfortunately zechio has got it spot on. Steam abuses its customers and it's sad that most customers don't even know they're getting abused.

Strong words.

Didn't you read the list:-

It corrupts perfectly good systems

It will stop you from getting a job

It will start to take photos of you to check it is you that is playing

It forces you to play Lord of the rings Online... Online

It will steal all of your games without any warning

Also since that post...

It is a virus

It installs malware onto your computer

....and one i missed off from last time.....

It won't let you use other peoples accounts.

June 14, 2012 11:56:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Pheace,

Strong words.

Well, I don't use steam, so I'm not feeling abused. If I used steam, I most certainly would feel abused.

- I was looking in Bestbuy one day at the new (at the time) Skyrim. Wow! Then I saw the back: "Needs Steam to Run". But I was holding the disk in my HAND! Abused.
- Saw others playing Skyrim. It has worse graphics and gameplay than it's predecessor Oblivion so that it can run on steam. Abused.
- Steam needs to convert and dumbdown all my games in order to play WITHOUT giving me a choice in the matter? Abused.
- Steam needs me to connect to disconnect for offline mode when I was OFFLINE to start with. abused.
- Steam is an added layer of compatability that is third-party dependant, often obstructing your ability to enjoy the games you want to play when you want to play them. Abused.

Most people don't mind these abuses. They're desencitized to them, expecting to get crap. That's not for me. Maybe I'll miss out on many game releases and maybe digital gaming is the future, but I'll find and support the developers who are willing to give quality product and are able to do it without the third-party hassle.

Some recent history:
The whole reason I originally came across FE was because I was in search of a server-free game after Starcraft II was released and REQUIRED you to be connected to Battlenet, EVEN if you play singleplayer mode. Stupid stupid stupid. Then when you want to play....server is down. Stupid stupid stupid. Then when you want to play ten years from now.....server no longer exists. Tough luck. Stupid stupid stupid. To say the least, I did not purchase Starcraft II.....nor Civ 5 (to which I was really looking forward to).....nor Diablo III.....nor SotSE: Rebellion....the list goes on.

EDIT: @Lonemessiah......it IS malware.

June 14, 2012 12:09:19 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting GFireflyE,

Well, I don't use steam, so I'm not feeling abused. If I used steam, I most certainly would feel abused.

- I was looking in Bestbuy one day at the new (at the time) Skyrim. Wow! Then I saw the back: "Needs Steam to Run". But I was holding the disk in my HAND! Abused.
- Saw others playing Skyrim. It has worse graphics and gameplay than it's predecessor Oblivion so that it can run on steam. Abused.
- Steam needs to convert and dumbdown all my games in order to play WITHOUT giving me a choice in the matter? Abused.
- Steam needs me to connect to disconnect for offline mode when I was OFFLINE to start with. abused.
- Steam is an added layer of compatability that is third-party dependant, often obstructing your ability to enjoy the games you want to play when you want to play them. Abused.

Most people don't mind these abuses. They're desencitized to them, expecting to get crap. That's not for me. Maybe I'll miss out on many game releases and maybe digital gaming is the future, but I'll find and support the developers who are willing to give quality product and are able to do it without the third-party hassle.

Thanks for making it obvious you don't have a clue what you're talking about. Which is perfectly reasonable, since you also admitted you have zero experience with Steam.

Skyrim looking worse... lol. It even has an HD patch to make it look better than the console versions. The funny part is that even if you think it still looks worse than Oblivion, none of that has anything to do with Steam, they didn't design the game, nor does a game on Steam need to tone down graphics to be able to run on Steam.

Steam doesn't need to convert and dumbdown any game. Just a statement full of hot air and zero facts.

Needing to be online to go into offline mode is a myth. There's bugs with the offline mode sure, but the feature is intended to work if and when you lose internet, and when properly set up and used it works that way. I can pull my cable right now and I'll be able to go into offline mode without problems and play my games.

Compatiblity argument just seems a repeat of your argument before, that it might impede you playing, which it only does rarely at best. The conveniences it delivers far outweighs that for me, and obviously for a lot of others.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000578   Page Render Time: