What Current Features do you REALLY LIKE, in Beta 3, v0.915 ?

By on May 31, 2012 3:59:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

OrionM42

Join Date 12/2008
+17

Beta 3, v0.915, appears to be substantially changed and polished from the earlier versions of the Beta 3 (v0.911 through v0.914).  And from what Frogboy has said in his "Foreword" to Derek Paxton's "Fallen Enchantress 0.915 changelog", it appears that there will not be another new update for about a month; at which time, Stardock will consider it to be the Beta 4.  I thought that it was time, once again, to start a Discussion thread, in which players could highlight Current Features of the game, that they now REALLY LIKE.

( Of course, the FE developers also want to get feedback on gameplay bugs, or features that players think really need more work, to get them right/fixed ... but there will be PLENTY of Discussion threads along those lines. )

Sometimes, I think Stardock ALSO needs feedback on those things that players REALLY LIKE.  After all, if no one provides feedback on today's Great Features, or nearly perfect gameplay aspects, (or even just "good enough" features), Stardock might remove them in the next update!  So please share some examples of the features/aspects of FE, that you think are currently great.  Thanks !!

Locked Post 27 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 31, 2012 4:37:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gosh, there are a lot of things I think are near perfect.  Here are five.

1) Quests - just a few UI quirks and maybe add a few more

2) Champions - a few should come with allies and some should have unique spells or traits... there should be a small chance (based on prestige or something) that heroes come to you like they did in MOM and MOO.

3) Weapon/Armor/Items - the emerald cap looks funny and maybe add some more weapons/armor/items for magic/range heroes

4) Map generation - maybe add a few more biomes and ways to interact with the terrain

5) Troop design - maybe give the pre-made faction-unique troops something special that can't be designed in; otherwise, no one will ever choose the pre-made troops

The stuff listed above is really great.  I've got a longer list of stuff that needs work, but as you mentioned, that's for another thread.

May 31, 2012 4:42:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

unique faction traits

no waiting for the turn to end

no crashes

questing/leveling champs - brutal monsters - some cool loot

May 31, 2012 4:44:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Magic, except for summons.

Map creation, except for the lack of larger maps.

Faction individualization: coming along nicely.

Quests: more of the same, please, and lengthier quest chains.

Boss areas: very nice.  Again, wouldn't mind seeing more of these in much larger worlds.

June 2, 2012 6:00:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for your replies, Trojasmic, sweatyboatman, and Glazunov1 !  In my opinion, these are each solid lists of Great, or at least "good enough", features in the current version of E:FE ( v0.915 ).  One reason I think these kind of features need to be high-lighted, is because where existing features are already  REALLY LIKED   (great, or good, or nearly perfect), the Developers can set these aspects aside (at least for a while) and concentrate on the other features that really need  serious work.  Of the items on your lists, two really struck a chord with me ...

First:  I think the Map Generation feature right now is genuinely Great.   (But, Glazunov1, I  do take the point, that you made in your own discussion thread, that 64 bit players could use, and deserve  the additional option of being able to generate HUGE maps.)  But, except for that caveat, I think map generation in E:FE is currently in an essentially finished state.  I am constantly amazed at how good the maps are -- how they incorporate choke points, interior lakes, a reasonable array of terrain features, and routinely surprising continental out-lines.  And these (usually) genuinely good maps are made one step better, by the fact that E:FE permits "Strategic Terrain Altering" (as hubichakakov named it, in my earlier Discussion thread) in the form of the Raise Land, and Lower Land, magic commands.  This "magic terraforming" really makes E:FE (in my opinion) the best 4X game, since Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, to use terraforming in an interesting (and potentially game-changing) kind of way.  It adds FUN, and it can materialy affect strategy.

Secondly, sweatyboatman alluded to Game Stability (minimal crashes).  I personally think that Game Stability is significantly improved by now (although the greatest change was in going from the last version of the Beta 2, to the first version of the Beta 3).  Obviously, it is not perfect; but my point here is that I would have been seriously concerned if the game's stability were only being treated as an after-thought by Stardock.  You can't leave Stability issues to the end-point -- any more than you can postpone adding Quality (or Polish) to a product only at the end.  (That should have been one of big lessons from E:WoM.)  I think Stardock is showing the right attitude in constantly addressing the Stability issues, through-out the update process.  Stability  IS  getting the right amount of emphasis and attention, IMHO.   

June 2, 2012 6:13:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

1. Faction Bloodlines.

2. Unique units.

3. Added spells in Beta 3. 

June 3, 2012 10:37:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

To add something to my last reply, thats hard... Meaby im being too much of a critic but I hoped for more

I will be grabbing something from sean, and that is I really like to see the unique units pop up, making the  game feel more fantasy like, and magic like, like having golems in your army, and spiders to help you.
Doesn't translate very good into custom factions though.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

June 3, 2012 10:54:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Couple of things I really Like

1) Multi colored Spell:    Like the Disciple version.... (including gentle rain (air-water), Mud (earth water) and plenty More)

WISHLIST:  Make a higher version (adept and more) 

2) Quest leading to UNIQUES... (like henchmens, or Equipment)

I recently got the Jonas Brothers (3 henchman with +50% exp and 1handed spear...I felt GREAT, that was pretty cool)

My 2 gildar ...

June 3, 2012 11:08:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am in love with designing my own units. It is such a cool feature.

June 3, 2012 11:48:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Loving Resoln's shard spawns, and bound spiders.  These two features alone have (barely) kept me alive on a map where I could not find another site to settle.  And no, I don't care to conquer a neighbor.

So kudos to the differentiation of mechanics!

June 3, 2012 1:31:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The faction differentiation is fantastic.

The Tactical Combat aspect of the game is in very good shape, with only minor balance tweaks needed and the odd bug at this point.

June 3, 2012 1:37:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like so see more variety in item and enemyes.

Maybe a random artifact generator system for a possible expansion?

June 3, 2012 1:40:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quests -I like the quests and having the option of taking money or a special item.  I wish that there is more quests.  In the game a couple of versions ago there seemed to be a lot more than there are now.  It also seems a little wierd that the chain in the quests are so close together.  I understand the logic but it plays wierd.

Champions - I like the leveling of champions and that they can cast spells.  Again, I wish there was more of this.

Special Items - Having items that need a curtain level is a cool feature.  It would be nice to see more of this also.

Shards - I like that there are more now.

Maps - The terrain has become much more interesting.  Adding areas that open up later in the game is a great touch.

magical items - This is much better now.

Caravans - I am glad they are gone.  I do wish though that the roads would be more visible. It can be very hard to see them sometimes.

Roaming monsters - I feel it is much better than WOM.  They graphically look better also.

June 3, 2012 1:43:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm really enjoying the faction differentiation and looking forward to what's in store regarding city build/management!

June 3, 2012 2:19:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For all those interesting Observations, running from Seanw3 through AlLanMandragoran --Thanks, Guys !!

Couple of Reaction comments:  Seanw3's list was short and succinct, but IMHO, Dead on !  Agree completely ...

Child-in-Black, Re: "the Jonas Brothers" ... I know what you mean.  It's amazing how one or two little things can add so much more  *FUN*  to a game!  I also managed to snag those guys early in my previous game, and they were really helpful.  Partly because I used them  carefully  (and kept them with my sovereign) they leveled up decently too.  They are NOT necessarily significant in the later half of the game; but they were great to get on my side in the early game!    =   FUN!

Good List, hntr101!   And I agree with everyone who commented on how Faction Differentiation has really improved the game.  Early on, I was wondering if maybe Stardock was carrying this a bit too far ( ... the Go Big, or Go Home philosophy ... ); but more recently I have decided that the Dev's have pretty much "nailed" this point too.  Faction Differentiation, even with two less factions (or because of it ?) has greatly improved the character, and replay-ability, of the game!

Malsqueek, I am on record (in a previous thread) as agreeing that I consider Tactical Combat to pretty much be in a solid, finished, form.  I know it could be tweeked some; and I confess to not being as interested in Tactical Combat as some of the folks here.  However, I think it is so much improved from the Beta 2; and appropriate now, to the overall nature of the game, that I consider it plenty  "Good Enough" !   

June 3, 2012 2:31:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The death shard demons of Resoln are fantastic

I like that all units level

I like fighting the wild (just wish monsters were a tad more aggressive)

I like the Umber (hulk )

I like the fact that you can be competitive even if you dont spam cities from the start. In games like CIV the cities are your engine for everything (research, production, war++). In FE your armies can be fantastic even if you are behind in many other ways.

June 3, 2012 2:43:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,
Malsqueek, I am on record (in a previous thread) as agreeing that I consider Tactical Combat to pretty much be in a solid, finished, form.  I know it could be tweeked some; and I confess to not being as interested in Tactical Combat as some of the folks here.  However, I think it is so much improved from the Beta 2; and appropriate now, to the overall nature of the game, that I consider it plenty  "Good Enough" !   

Oh, absolutely. The "tweaks and bugs" that I'm talking about is really more at what point we get access to which techs, and when are they going to stop allowing 47 burning blades on enemy assassin champs.

That is all just about what toys we get to bring to the sandbox. The sandbox itself is pretty well perfect.

June 4, 2012 4:49:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting joasoze,
                                                                          o  o   o 

I like the fact that you can be competitive even if you dont spam cities from the start. In games like CIV the cities are your engine for everything (research, production, war++).   In FE your armies can be fantastic even if you are behind in many other ways.

Thanks, Joasoze, for your list of Currently  REALLY LIKE'd   Features.   I agree completely with your last point!  There are already multiple paths to victory in this game; and while even more might be better, this is already an excellent feature!   (Also, I have never played Resoln before; but based on your observation above, I think I will try them next.  And that speaks to the improved replay-ability now present in the Beta 3!)   Thanks!  ... 

Heavenfall, with regard to your comment in Reply #8 above:  "I am love with designing my own units.  It is such a cool feature."     I was just thinking how much I like designing my own cavalry units, mid and late game.  I try to craft a kind of Heavy Calvary as early as I can, with the option selected that allows the unit to upgrade, as better technologies are unlocked.  By adding 2-4 decent cavalry units, to a couple of Champions (who are also mounted on horses), I can create a "fast army" which is great for patrolling interior lines, out-flanking units of the other empires, and expediting faster all-out wars.  Such an army is suitably expensive; but it really adds a nice flavor to the game.  So even though I often don't have more than one such "fast stack" in a game, I sure love having them!  They can end up looking pretty cool too  ...

Malsqueek, with regard to your last comment:  "That is all just about what toys we get to bring to the sandbox.  The Sandbox itself is pretty well perfect."    Well said !   I agree completely.

June 4, 2012 5:12:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is things that I like but I know that might be change for the better

I LIKE :

1)that cities expand around the main square and it is a living structure with people in it ( sooo geeky lol)

2)that we can create our own units (even if I dont know what to do defence or attack units because i am a noob )

3)that the map has always something for you to discover (if they change the monotone pattern they have on the soil I think the map will look more awesome

June 5, 2012 9:18:03 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OrionM42,

Malsqueek, with regard to your last comment:  "That is all just about what toys we get to bring to the sandbox.  The Sandbox itself is pretty well perfect."    Well said !   I agree completely.

I dont

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

June 5, 2012 10:07:50 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Kongdej,

Quoting OrionM42,
reply 17

I dont

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

I agree with Kongdej,  it is very far from perfect. But far ahead of what WOM was.

June 5, 2012 1:15:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like:

1) The multi-square cities. Shows growth and expansion of your civilization.

2) The combat view. Tatics and strategy are fantastic. Would be nice if different terrains on the battlefield gave you different bonuses though.

3)The ability to make groups/squads/companies. Fantastic way to implement stronger armies in the game. Does need a little more balancing though, as it seems like a group of the above is worth 3x of a group from below...should only be worth 2x.

4) Love the quests!! AWESOME way to bring in the RPG experiance.

I don't like:

1) Needs more terrain types. Visuals. Strategic attributes accociated with the land.

2) Would like to build my own roads....and demolish them if I choose. I don't neccessarily want to go the same route as civ by having a 'worker' unit, but perhaps an option to modify the roads within your sphere of influence, each taking time to complete in an 'improvement queue'.

3) Would love to see naval and flying units. This could be huge....so maybe have each as an expansion that greatly augments how the game can be played out.

4) Would love to see late game or epic quests. RPG seems to be lost as the empires fill in the world. Maybe different types of quests that include espiange or diplomacy.
examples: a) Save the princess from XX empire and return her to safety OR ransom her.....resulting in positive or negative feedback from the empire. 
                Hear of a great beast.....empires are willing to give you permission to enter there land in search of it.
                c) Some creature/force is slowing corrupting your lands and you need to dispatch an army to deal with the situation, restoring your land back to normal.

Stuff like that...

June 5, 2012 1:25:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't know.  Why do you always have to ask such hard questions? 

June 5, 2012 1:35:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with Kongdej,  it is very far from perfect.

I play games for over 20 years and no game was perfect. In my opinion, beside the citybuilding/managment, everything is in the right place and "only" needs tweaking, balancing, bugfixing. 

Sure, more stuff/content (more quests, traits, items etc.) is always great.

Feature, i REALLY like:

- different factions. starting a new map took so many time because i can´t decide, which faction i would like to play. I love that and i´m still amazed, what say have done in such a short period.

- unit design

June 5, 2012 2:23:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lantros,
I play games for over 20 years and no game was perfect. In my opinion, beside the citybuilding/managment, everything is in the right place and "only" needs tweaking, balancing, bugfixing.
Sadly thats true , but thats no reason not to want more tweaking to tactical combats, and no reason not to try and reach out for perfection

Sincerely
~  Kongdej

June 6, 2012 1:30:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it would be easier to mention the things that I don't like.

On the subject of beta versions, I have to say that the most fun I had from the game was while playing version 0.912.  I am not to sure why, but the game seem to have greater immersion than it's predecessors.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000391   Page Render Time: