Creating a faction skin color

By on May 30, 2012 4:43:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

FatNonFree

Join Date 10/2010
+12

Can you change the skin color of the factions? Not just the leader of the faction but faction themselves. Right now I have grey Orcs I would like them to be green! Like this 

Locked Post 9 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 30, 2012 5:07:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You can't in game, you have to go into the files and mod the skin colors.  I made Green Wraiths for Goblins in WoM doing that.  Haven't tried it in FE though.

May 31, 2012 6:09:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thank you Lord Xia! I hope you get those ponies you always wanted. What files do I go into?

May 31, 2012 6:20:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You should probably make your own race type if you do this. You can see what you need to do in: CoreRaceTypes.xml

Put it in a separate file, and link it to your faction. Once you define your own race type, you'll probably need to do the units for it (militias and basic designs) as well. That is, unless you're fine with using some existing ones.

May 31, 2012 8:10:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kalin,
You should probably make your own race type if you do this. You can see what you need to do in: CoreRaceTypes.xml

Put it in a separate file, and link it to your faction. Once you define your own race type, you'll probably need to do the units for it (militias and basic designs) as well. That is, unless you're fine with using some existing ones.

No that is way way way more work then you need to do. Creating a custom race is a lot of work. You have to go into tons of files and add tags that allow the new race to use every individual piece of armor, animations, hair, clothes, cloaks, etc. You can see an example here.

Instead to change the skin color of a faction you can simply:

1.Create your custom faction in the ingame editor. Close the game

2. Go to C:\Users\User\Documents\My Games\FallenEnchantress\Race or whatever. Your custom faction will be there.

3. Open the file in notepad. In it will be the tag <UnitSkinColor>165,165,170,255</UnitSkinColor>. The last number is always 255. The first three numbers change your skin color. If you have no idea what numbers to use go to the sovereign design screen and mess around with his skin color ,  either remember a good color or save the sovereign and open it's xml file in the units subfolder and copy his skin color  into the faction tag while keeping the last number 255.

May 31, 2012 9:08:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I tried what you said Ds they are still grey [e digicons]:'([/e] .  Do I have to start the game again?

May 31, 2012 9:10:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Um... you only have to do that if you're actually trying to change the Unit Models. You can reuse the same model in your units, and never have to redefine the item compatibility. All those compatibility checks the unit model, not the actual unit/race type (the reason altar's henchmens are bugged is because they used a new model for henchmens - HenchmanMale instead of just KingdomMale - They did this to link the the special spell/henchmen traits to those models).

The reason you'd want a race type is that you can then redefine the base units, and thus change the blood bonuses as well as define any special units (this is why altar's henchmen don't show up for non-altarian heroic races). You can definitely change the skin color in the faction file alone, but you'd have to use an existing race and take everything they have to offer.

Quoting FatNonFree,
I tried what you said Ds they are still grey .  Do I have to start the game again?

You always have to restart after a mod. You'll also need to make a new game with that faction too.

May 31, 2012 9:30:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kalin,
The reason you'd want a race type is that you can then redefine the base units, and thus change the blood bonuses as well as define any special units (this is why altar's henchmen don't show up for non-altarian heroic races). You can definitely change the skin color in the faction file alone, but you'd have to use an existing race and take everything they have to offer.

OK sorry, that should work but it would still be much easier to just change the faction instead of adding a new race.

May 31, 2012 9:38:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh it's definitely easier to change skin color with the faction file alone, that's for certain... but it's also not particularly "hard" to do a search and copy and paste some units and changing their names a bit either. Although if you're fully redefining everything, it does end up taking a bit of work. I only said it because he seems to want a different race (orcs)... 

June 1, 2012 9:59:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just create a faction and save, close the game, open of the faction file and there will be codes for its skin color, change them to be more green.  I have almost 0 ability to mod anything, so the fact I was able to do it on my own should give you hope.  

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000062   Page Render Time: