where to go after wheel of time and game of thrones(A Song of fire and ice) series

By on May 18, 2012 2:57:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

joasoze

Join Date 02/2006
+39

Title says it all. Are there any other fantasy series of the same quality?

Locked Post 56 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 18, 2012 10:15:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kku,
My all-time favorite series are Dan Simmon's "Hyperion", "Fall of Hyperion", "Endymion" and "Rise of Endymion" books. .

Dan Simmon's stuff is great, I stopped at fall of Hyperion because I thought it was a perfect ending, but may pick up the other 2 if I get a chance sometime.

May 20, 2012 6:28:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Another of my favorite series is Silverberg's Majipoor books.

May 20, 2012 7:02:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting kku,
How would you compare this book to the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series?

Well Way of King's has a much larger fantasy element then A Song of Ice and Fire. It doesn't take place in historical earth setting or even really an earth setting at all. It takes place on a much more desolate planet that is constantly wracked by super storms. The people there have medieval tech and societies but their cultures are much different. Magic also plays a much bigger part but like the best fantasy series there is a well defined system and magic doesn't become a plot crutch. Both are gritty and bloody and feature huge battles but Way of Kings also focuses on only around a half dozen main characters so it tends not to kill them off.

As a happy coincidence it recently came out in paperback!

May 20, 2012 7:02:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ErikCurre,
The Malazan Book of the Fallen series is pretty good, and suitably long to keep you occupied for a while. Took me a whole year to read it. The story gets a bit too philosophical and meandering at times, so not quite as fast paced as Game of Thrones, but still worth a read.

Memories of Ice (MBotF) is one of my favorite books of all time! Symphony of Ages (starting with Rhapsody) series by Elizebeth Hayden and Steven Brust's Khaavran Romances (Starting with The Phoenix Guard) are excellent choices.

I would honestly avoid every other author recommended thus far..most are old school single charecter driven fantasy cliche. If you want well written fantasy cliche with characters you care about try Piers Anthony's Quest for the Fallen Star or the Bronze Canticles series (starting with Mystic Warrior, though the other books are better) by Tracy Hickman. Edding's Elenium series is excellent for characters but Belgaraid was a snoorfest..same with all of Goodkind's doorstops unless you enjoy the S&M stuff he throws in every now and then. Hyperion et al is excellent but thats Scifi...different topic heh.

All of these have more "magic" in than Game of Thrones. Maybe David Weber's Safehold series would be a good choice for a non fantasy medieval intrigue..if you can ignore that it starts out with a space battle heh. Or perhaps Ken Follet's Pillers of the Earth and its sequel.

Try browsing sffworld.com

May 20, 2012 8:50:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Glen Cook's Instrumantalities of the Night series is awesome.

Welcome to the world of the Instrumentalities of the Night, where imps, demons, and dark gods rule in the spaces surrounding upstart humanity. At the edges of the world stand walls of ice which push slowly forward to reclaim the land for the night. And at the world's center, in the Holy Land where two great religions were born, are the Wells of Ihrain, the source of the greatest magics. Over the last century the Patriarchs of the West have demanded crusades to claim the Wells from the Pramans, the followers of the Written. Now an uneasy truce extends between the Pramans and the West, waiting for a spark to start the conflict anew.

Then, on a mission in the Holy Land, the young Praman warrior Else is attacked by a creature of the Dark-in effect, a minor god. Too ignorant to know that he can never prevail over such a thing, he fights it and wins, and in so doing, sets the terrors of the night against him.

As a reward for his success, Else is sent as a spy to the heart of the Patriarchy to direct their attention away from further ventures into the Holy Lands. Dogged by hidden enemies and faithless allies, Else witnesses senseless butchery and surprising acts of faith as he penetrates to the very heart of the Patriarchy and rides alongside their armies in a new crusade against his own people. But the Night rides with him, too, sending two of its once-human agents from the far north to assassinate him.

Submerged in his role, he begins to doubt his faith, his country, even his family. As his mission careens out of control, he faces unanswerable questions about his future. It is said that God will know his own, but can one who has slain gods ever know forgiveness?

May 20, 2012 8:57:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DsRaider,

Quoting kku, reply 25How would you compare this book to the "A Song of Fire and Ice" series?

Well Way of King's has a much larger fantasy element then A Song of Ice and Fire. It doesn't take place in historical earth setting or even really an earth setting at all. It takes place on a much more desolate planet that is constantly wracked by super storms. The people there have medieval tech and societies but their cultures are much different. Magic also plays a much bigger part but like the best fantasy series there is a well defined system and magic doesn't become a plot crutch. Both are gritty and bloody and feature huge battles but Way of Kings also focuses on only around a half dozen main characters so it tends not to kill them off.

As a happy coincidence it recently came out in paperback!

Thanks for the overview. I am looking for a new book to read and you seemed awful excited about this one.

May 20, 2012 9:06:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Stupidity10,
Glen Cook's Instrumantalities of the Night series is awesome.

Simpson did it! ...erm I mean James Clamens did it a year before in an excellent dark fantasy (with steampunk elements and an Arya-esk character) called Shadowfall.

Cook is a horrid writer..no flow to his words at all.

May 20, 2012 10:12:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Cook writes differently, but after you get used to it his books are amazing.

August 27, 2012 12:57:10 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I read Terry Goodkind A sword of truth Series and except for a few books loved the series.

I also read A wheel of time and this one also except fora  book or two where the story tends to stretch for pages and pages found the story very compelling. The use of magic is quite unique in the wheel of time. You also see what the world would look like if it was run by women. (I'm sure I'll get killed for that remark) The last book of the series is suppose to come out early next year I believe and most of them if not all are on audio books. I have lots of them myself.

Then my very first epic was David eddings 10 books series The belgariad and the malloreon. I adored both as long as you take them as a fast pace story where the good guys can't do anything wrong. Very funny jokes and a few memorable characters. Silk for example is  so dang funny.

One series that I really enjoyed that was not mentioned yet is The death gate cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman, it's a 7 book epic about 2 super magic powers that battle it over an earth that was broken up into 4 great planes using once again a unique magic system. I suggest reading it. It's very interesting and a great read.

I never cared really for Thomas covenant. It's a dark story with a main character that wants to die all the time. At some point while reading it I was hoping he would buy a gun and kill himself.

I enjoyed Raymond e feist story magician apprentice and the following books. Milamber/Pug is interesting if a bit missing meat on the bone. Still fun to read, the main story is interesting.

Another series nobody mentioned is  Dragon Prince trilogy. By Melanie Rawn. There is a second trilogy but I never cared for it. however this first one I loved it. Using Sunlight and moonlight to use magic. Very nice political story not as involved as A game of thrones but fun nonetheless.

Just a few I've read.... I have so many books everywhere in the house...

If you are interested in Scify try  Rendez-vous with Rama and the following books.... Interesting to say the least.

August 31, 2012 8:16:25 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Quoting Vallu751,
The Black Company by Glen Cook might be worth a shot for you.

Glen cook's black company is something good for you.

August 31, 2012 8:44:15 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perhaps someone can help me with the name of this series/book. I read it when I was a lot younger and I don't remember much, but what I do remember is that the central part of the book was that the characters were dying and being reborn. You followed them quite literally across many lifespans. One specific part I remember clearly (I was a teenager, give me a break) and that is when one of the characters has sex with some goddess or something while at the same time plummeting to their deaths. Magic seemed to revolve around spirits a lot. There was a magical duel between some guy representing light and someone representing darkness that involved pulling each other towards doors or some such (it took place on an ethereal plane).

November 22, 2012 5:42:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Definitely malazan book of the fallen series.

as to SF, go with Hamilton, Neutronium alchemist and everything else he wrote.

Oh, I remembered another fantasy that's really good author - Robin Hobb - and avoid Forest mage series, It didn't sit well, I think it was more of an experiemnt trilogy, assasin series is excellent as well as their sequels and spin offs.

There is also wonderful Rothfus set of 2/3 books about retired wizard/adventurer/demigod who lives a retired, peacefull life as a innkeeper and slowly gives his autobiography to a stranger while Forces From Bad Lands (TM) try to do their best killing him.... IT's A MUST!

here is the link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Rothfuss

November 22, 2012 6:04:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Perhaps someone can help me with the name of this series/book. I read it when I was a lot younger and I don't remember much, but what I do remember is that the central part of the book was that the characters were dying and being reborn. You followed them quite literally across many lifespans. One specific part I remember clearly (I was a teenager, give me a break) and that is when one of the characters has sex with some goddess or something while at the same time plummeting to their deaths. Magic seemed to revolve around spirits a lot. There was a magical duel between some guy representing light and someone representing darkness that involved pulling each other towards doors or some such (it took place on an ethereal plane).

a few months late... but the many lives part sounds like something from katherine kerr.

November 22, 2012 6:46:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,

I don't think it is but it could be Katherine Kerr's Derrvy Cycle series. It features the rebirth of souls, magic heavily dependent on spirits and magic duels on the etheric plane. I don't remember the sex part though.

Its a great series if anyone is interested, very easy to read but not in a way that makes it lacking compared to more complex authors.

November 22, 2012 6:57:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks to both of you.

November 22, 2012 7:50:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A Memory of Light is nearly here (01/08/13)! i'd pre-ordered months ago. Over twenty years following this story. Will conclude with over 4 million words written. As spoken, that's about 420 hours of audio-tape. Epic. Is nearly here!

November 22, 2012 10:38:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I cannot say enough good things about Brandon Sanderson's work.  Elantris, Mistborn, Warbreaker all great books.  Especially Mistborn.

November 22, 2012 10:57:46 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I find reading a bore......nowadays.

November 23, 2012 12:06:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd avoid Elantris. The most remarkable thing about Brandon Sanderson is how he is improving from book to book. Elantris was his first and it shows (cringe making in places).

-

The opposite is more usually the case.

Feist: read the "Magician Trilogy" and skip the rest. Beautifully written and evocative, while his later stuff seems to have been phoned in.

Dan Simmons: Read only Hyperion. Highly thought provoking ideas... but when those were exhausted the author retreated into wingnuttery and projecting his personal issues. Similar happened to Frank Herbert and many others (in literary fiction you can get away with this, not so with fantasy).

Goodkind: er... don't bother. Can't think of a single redeeming feature for these books. The first novel 'works' as a poorly written adventure novel, the rest don't even have that.

-

Regarding others mentioned:

Weis & Hickman: I agree that Death Gate Cycle is well worth your time. I've also heard good things  about the Darksword books but not read them personally.

Robin Hobb: An amazing writer. Her best are the "Live Ship" books but you should read the Assassin trilogy first.

David Eddings: I enjoyed these as a kid. But I'm not sure they'd have the same appeal as an adult. Very much fantasy by the numbers, though well executed.

Malazn: I just can't get into these at all. Others swear by them... so could just be me...

-

A recent author I didn't see mentioned here is Greg Keyes. I enjoyed his Briar King books despite the rushed ending. The Age of Unreason books are even better with a unique setting (alternate 18th century histroy).

For 'Classic Fantasy'. Ursual Le Guins Earthsea books are a must. As is pretty much everything by Michael Moorcock. Oh, and Stephen Donaldson.

November 23, 2012 12:54:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, not exactly fantasy but some of my favorite books. They are still relevant two decades later.  

The Hyborean Cycle of stories by Clark Aston Smith is more fantasy based, or the Dream Cycle of stories by H.P. Lovecraft.

November 23, 2012 12:57:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WhiteElk,
A Memory of Light is nearly here (01/08/13)! i'd pre-ordered months ago. Over twenty years following this story. Will conclude with over 4 million words written. As spoken, that's about 420 hours of audio-tape. Epic. Is nearly here!

Oh yeah, will be taking the day off work to finish that thing... feel like a kid who's told he's going to the candy store!

November 23, 2012 3:35:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Joe abercromibe 
Malazan tale of the fallen
Scott Bakker

The latter two are a bit more demanding of the reader, but still damn good.
Espescially book 4 of from abercrombie is a sleep depriving work of art 

November 23, 2012 4:04:34 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Weis and Hickman Dragonlance were my introduction to fantasy and I still love them now.

If you can find them the 10 books of Hugh Cooks Wizards and warriors serious are wonderful.

Feist is good but by far the most exciting books I have ever read are any of David Gemmels series from Druss the Legend, Jon Shannow, Connavar, Waylander and Bale the bastard absolutely brilliant!!! He made heroes like no-one else does and is never afraid to kill off characters. It was a great shame when he passed a couple of years back.

http://www.fantasticfiction.co.uk/g/david-a-gemmell/

Buy them you will not regret it.

November 23, 2012 5:03:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gosh yeah, David Gemmell.

His books are always action filled roller coaster rides of swords, axes and fell magic. Like Katherine Kerr not a complex writer but also like Kerr the books don't suffer for it.

November 23, 2012 6:32:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ok, where to start...

Goodkind's Sword of Truth - compared to wheel of time its way easier to read (wording and phrase wise) - overall plot is okay but not much is left up to guesses - some nice books but just not as good

For the Malazan Books - I personally found the beginning a bit hard - just couldn't get into the story - i might pick it up later again though

As for Sanderson - loved all his books (but the Alcatraz ones) - and yes as some mentioned before "The Way of Kings" is a must read imo.

Also in that same category as "The Way of Kings" - Brent Weeks "Lightbringer" Series - at Book 2 as of now - Using Light for Magic but with consequences of loss of sight/sanity if overused, etc...

Or Peter V. Brett's Demon Cycle starting with "The Painted Man" / "The Warded Man" (in the US) and is currently at Book 2 (Desert Spear) as well.

Also mentioned already: Anne Bishops: Black Jewels Series - Quite Dark Story wise and the earlier books are better than the later but i enyoied them.

A Bit different: Dawn Cooks (Kim Harrison) - Truth Series - Quite interesting play on a magical System using Bards and such...

James Barcley: The Chronicles of the Raven and The Legends of the Raven - I very much liked these thoughI couldn't point out right now why - well maybe one thing comes to mind - some characters that where built up for the story just suddenly died etc...

The Balgariad Saga - read it back then and liked it - not sure if i would like it as much nowadays though.

For none printed stuff:

Read: Anthony Ryan's Blood Song (Raven's Shadow) - one of the best epic Fantasy Novels I read honestly - only the first in the series availible as of now though.

and David A. Wells: The Sovereign of the Seven Isles starting with Thinblade - I would honestly compare these to Brandon Sandersons work - no kidding.

or for a shorter Read Andrea K Höst's: Medair

If we're going towards Urban Fantasy:

Most Defnitly: Jim Butchers Dresden Files - just good

Also worth mentioning: The Iron Druid Chronicles from Kevin Hearne - just love the main Character - a centuries old Druid that is "friends" with "the Morrigan - Celtic War/Death Goddes.

Also worth of Note: Rachel Caines "Weather Warden Series" - or Devon Monks "Allie Beckstrom Novels" (recently finished series)

And of Course Sherrilyn Kenyon's Dark Hunter Novels.

and so many more but that are the highlights i recall reading an liking from the top of my head.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000437   Page Render Time: