I Hope the Devs read this: "Warlock Master of the Arcane" is A LOT like Elemental!!

By on May 9, 2012 8:49:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Black-Knight

Join Date 09/2009
+15

I just saw the new game by Paradox and I have to say it is really a very good version of this kind of games... In facts it is A LOT like this one in particular... In fact it even adds to it all I ever asked for: 1) Hexes 2) A rich and spectacular strategic map (no tactical battles since it works pretty much like a wargame) 3) No stupid teleports (only portals that allow you to travel to different planes: pretty much like doors to different places) 4) Multiplayer not yet avalable but will come with expansions.

It really looks like those guys came to this forum,  read just my posts and put everything I said in their game! (Hey I want a %!!)

The only thing they don't have yet, are heroes, but I am sure that will come in the expansions.

Of course I like it a lot and I definitely think the devs of Elemental should take a look at it! Actually I really hope they read this because I think that could be very important for them in order to see how hose guys fixed things and managed resources and stuff.

cheers

Locked Post 64 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 9, 2012 9:16:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlock's more like Civ 5 isn't it? Certainly looks like a fantasy version of it from the screenshots I've seen.

May 9, 2012 9:36:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Warlock and either Elemental or FE have about as much in common as they both do with Civ V, Civ IV, FFH, and AoW.  In other words, they're part of the same basic turn-based, fantasy-themed strategy genre.  Beyond that, they're worlds apart.

May 9, 2012 9:44:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ONE: No it is not.

TWO: It is a good game.

May 9, 2012 9:59:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Meh, I bought Warlock, but I'm still not taken by it (though I'm still happy to support 4X TBS in general).  Reasons why it will never scratch my MoM itch, that currently only Fallen Enchantress looks like it may scratch:

• Very thin on diplomacy.  It's essentially a wargame, where all there is to do is fight.  Sure, MoM's diplomacy was pretty crap too, but hopefully FE can shine in this area.
  • Very, very thin on economics and empire management.
  • No heroes, and no magic items.

It's still a great game, but it's pretty thin on some of the features I really care about, and it's certainly no MoM successor, nor is it even trying to be the same thing Fallen Enchantress is trying to be.  I don't see it having legs for me.  It'll be fun for a while, but unless they flesh it out substantially with DLC and expansions, it'll be a brief infatuation.

May 9, 2012 10:02:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
ONE: No it is not.

TWO: It is a good game.

Exactly.

My wife and I own a house.  So does Queen Elizabeth II.  Both houses have doors, windows, bedrooms, etc.  Therefore, these houses are very similar. 

May 9, 2012 10:08:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've been playing it myself, and just as Frogboy said, it's not that much like Elemental. The focus is pretty different. It's more like a board wargame.

The game is pretty fun, and I'm wasting quite a bit of time with it, but there are also a lot of things about it that bugs me. The silly quests, the unbalanced units, and the fact that I can't demolish buildings to change my city's role is pretty high on my hate list atm. Also, the AI... it's kind of a let down. It's supposedly "fighting" two wars and yet most of its units are just wondering back and forth in my territory (I'm at peace with them)... I don't have a clue what it's doing... certainly not fighting. Every once in a while you'll see them send some scouts into the other side's territory that gets killed... and it likes to bombard stuff with ships (and never actually killing anything with it, mind you). All it seems to do right so far is cast spells.

May 9, 2012 10:24:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm getting myself in trouble in certain forums ranting about the not so positive reviews of it.  Frederick isn't at liberty to curse out reviewers for unfair scores but I am.

May 9, 2012 10:57:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's quite a fun game, but the strategic and diplomatic AI are still a mess, and the quest-god system really isn't implemented, yet: it's just a few endlessly repeating quests.  It's also missing multiple victory types, which are mentioned in the documentation.  Tactical AI is excellent, screen design is great, so are graphics and animation, and the thing really has the I'll-just-play-one-more-turn feeling about it. 

May 9, 2012 11:04:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I'm getting myself in trouble in certain forums ranting about the not so positive reviews of it.

Link please!

May 9, 2012 11:46:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nevermind, found it.

May 9, 2012 11:53:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh no it's not.

Warlock is so yesterday.

Fallen enchantress is so tomorrow.

May 10, 2012 2:32:58 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

It's a decent game but unfinished. I really worried about the city spam. The population grow isn't related with anything, it's fixed. I have seen screenshots with players handling 40 cities ( 300 turns)

May 10, 2012 3:06:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've played a couple of games of Warlock and agree it is nothing at all like Fallen Enchantress - but is still fun in its own right. I think it would be a mistake to try and compare the games.

May 10, 2012 3:56:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

3) No stupid teleports (only portals that allow you to travel to different planes: pretty much like doors to different places)

The only thing they don't have yet, are heroes, but I am sure that will come in the expansions.

There is a teleport spell you can research.

There are Hero Units for those who preordered (Blademaster and Demonic Advisor). Also available as DLC.

Both are kind of overpowered.

May 10, 2012 3:58:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kalin,
... and the fact that I can't demolish buildings to change my city's role  ...

I never used it, but i have seen a button for this right under the building list.

May 10, 2012 4:31:39 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Interesting.  It caught my eye on Steam earlier tonight.  I'll have to keep my eyes open for it, especially when it gets to $10 with all extra content thrown in.  For now Sins and FE are about all I can handle without putting aside real life for gaming.  Haven't even logged into LoL in a couple of weeks.

Cheers,

-tid242

May 10, 2012 4:41:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My thoughts on the game:

+ Unit Traits, allows for unit specialization

+ "Worlds", for more side stuff to do/quest/explore

+ No stacks of doom problems

++++ Smooth, Not Laggy, Undemanding Graphics/UI. Has a general feel of being a Polished game. [solid 40 fps on busy map]

+ Eliminates the hassle of having monsters rampage through your resources at will

- Pathetic Faction customization

- Zero Unit customization

- Overly simplified Diplomacy/Economy system

- No tactical combat

- Hex Grid.

- No Heroes

May 10, 2012 4:54:21 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting OsirisDawn,

Quoting Kalin, reply 6... and the fact that I can't demolish buildings to change my city's role  ...

I never used it, but i have seen a button for this right under the building list.

That button doesn't work. That's why it frustrates me to no end. Apparently they removed the option during beta or something? (Not sure, I wasn't in it)

May 10, 2012 6:18:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The games mechanics are way too simplistic to be a good 4X, it's a massively simplified CivV, which was a simplified Civ4 so... not good.  This wouldn't matter of course if it had RPG elements similar to Elemental, Master of Magic, or even Heroes of might and magic or Disciples.  It has none of these things however, bland character-less units with no customization (aside from the Civ4/5 promotion system), no player character or heroes to enjoy... basically none of what makes these less economic focused and more character driven strategy games worth playing.

To me it just felt like Civ 5 with some boring spells and nothing but combat, bland as hell.

May 10, 2012 8:54:07 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting ,
I just saw the new game by Paradox and I have to say it is really a very good version of this kind of games... In facts it is A LOT like this one in particular... In fact it even adds to it all I ever asked for: 1) Hexes 2) A rich and spectacular strategic map (no tactical battles since it works pretty much like a wargame) 3) No stupid teleports (only portals that allow you to travel to different planes: pretty much like doors to different places) 4) Multiplayer not yet avalable but will come with expansions.

It really looks like those guys came to this forum,  read just my posts and put everything I said in their game! (Hey I want a %!!)

Of course I like it a lot and I definitely think the devs of Elemental should take a look at it! Actually I really hope they read this because I think that could be very important for them in order to see how hose guys fixed things and managed resources and stuff.

cheers

Actully it does have the teleport spell in the game. I agree it is a very good game and I much perfer how they do they handle buildings (one per hex and your limited on how many buildings you can build by the level of the city. Level 5 city only allows 5 buildings so specilizing a city is a must....love it)

I perfer a tactical battle type set up however the next best thing is they way they battle in Warlock which is very similar to Civ 5.  Although I have always liked the Civ games since the first Civ I never really liked the fighting mechanic until Civ 5 came out. For me it is a lot like turning the whole would into a giant Tactical Battle map which I love.

I think the look of the game is very good as well (never liked the Art in FE.) 

I hope it can be moded like FE can.

It does have a weak Diplomancy however it is simple and does work. FE is going to dominate in this area I think. And even though I like the combat in Warlock I perfer the style of TC that FE , MOM, AOW, AOW:SM has. Now currently the combat in Warlock is a lot more fun than it is in FE but that is due to FE still being in beta with months before release.

Oh and I love the fact that you can have multiple worlds (up to 6 of them) I loved the this feature in AOW and AOW:SM but there were only 3 in that game (Underground, Shadow world) But you can mod the other levels any way you want top create other worlds. Hopefully Warlock will let you do that too.

Oh and Warlock has sea creatures, naval ships, and Flyers which unfortunatly FE does not have (something that has always been a pet peeve of my about the game.)

May 10, 2012 8:58:34 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Tattyhat,
Oh no it's not.

Warlock is so yesterday.

Fallen enchantress is so tomorrow.

No not really. Both are today. FE is more 6:00am while Warlock is 6PM due to it being more polished and has released while FE still has a ways to go before completion.

May 10, 2012 9:02:28 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Donegal77,
It's a decent game but unfinished. I really worried about the city spam. The population grow isn't related with anything, it's fixed. I have seen screenshots with players handling 40 cities ( 300 turns)

I actully like the "City Spam" but then I never liked the concept of limiting the number of cities you have in a TBS game with silly mechanics.

In FE I try to build or capture as many cities as I can.

May 10, 2012 9:08:14 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Replicators,

My thoughts on the game:

+ Unit Traits, allows for unit specialization

+ "Worlds", for more side stuff to do/quest/explore

+ No stacks of doom problems

++++ Smooth, Not Laggy, Undemanding Graphics/UI. Has a general feel of being a Polished game. [solid 40 fps on busy map]

+ Eliminates the hassle of having monsters rampage through your resources at will

- Pathetic Faction customization

- Zero Unit customization

- Overly simplified Diplomacy/Economy system

- No tactical combat

- Hex Grid.

- No Heroes

Agree with all this except you made one mistake.  Hex grid should have a plus next to it

May 10, 2012 1:55:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's a really good game, but it's pretty different from FE, I think.  Warlock is a really good game, I can't stress that enough.  But FE is a much, much deeper game.  They are different enough that one doesn't replace another.  Good time to be a fantasy 4x fan.

May 10, 2012 2:01:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Bellack,

Agree with all this except you made one mistake.  Hex grid should have a plus next to it

I hate how hex grid prevents your units from going through one another.

I just think there must be a better way to solve the stack of doom issue.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000891   Page Render Time: