suggestion / request for sov & champ exp levels

By on May 6, 2012 5:01:51 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Ensais

Join Date 05/2003
+4

All,

One of the things I really like about the"world" setup is that you can choose more dense or less dense monsters, shards, quests, and more rapid or slow technology. 

This is great!  In another thread someone complained about magic being overpowered compared to armies and beasts... the simple answer is to pick the lowest setting for magic.  The magic casters will not have enough mana to take over, then... and those like me who want epic shardrenders of power can choose dense magic setting and have fun too!

I would like to suggest that exp be similarly scalable.  Some of us like being able to have epic Sovereigns and champions... which is less and less likely now with the exp algorithm being further nerfed with each Beta.  How about making this customizable in the setup as well?

Pretty please?

[any thoughts, constructive or otherwise?).

Locked Post 13 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 6, 2012 7:56:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I agree, people said magic is too powerful, but I don't see that way, I find warrior with high defense and high dogle, high attack that don't cost mana is far more powerful than magic, and cap at 10 to 12 level is so bored after battle too many too, should level up like last .912 where I got 32 level, it's so fun for me.

May 6, 2012 9:39:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

magic is overpowered but thats becuase of several reasons.

1) They increased mana per shard for testing purposes and never dropped it. Mana generation should be controlled more by techs, traits and buildings.

2) There are 100+ spells and some are of course unbalanced

3) Mage items at this point are really rare so mages have to be good enough to work without items.

May 7, 2012 12:18:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Stupidity10,
magic is overpowered but thats becuase of several reasons.

The best reason is that magic SHOULD be unbalanced against the rest of the game. Magic should have a cost commensurate with its effect and that is all.

In terms of the OP, Yeah, I could totally get behind a "Champion Level Scaling" slider that ran from "Overblown squad leaders" (weak champions) to "Basically gods"

May 7, 2012 4:00:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like this idea, though I'm willing to bet coding it would take more time than it's worth. 

May 7, 2012 5:21:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like this idea too.

But maybe there is a setting somewhere in the xml files which we who like level 15+ heroes can modify?

May 7, 2012 9:38:24 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Malsqueek,

Quoting Stupidity10, reply 2magic is overpowered but thats becuase of several reasons.

The best reason is that magic SHOULD be unbalanced against the rest of the game. Magic should have a cost commensurate with its effect and that is all.

I am not sure I understand this correctly, but the way I understand it I disagree strongly.

As per the original post, I like the idea, more scalers for everything Hero power can be scaled on more ways than just XP though, you could change the other stuff instead if XP is too difficult (Starting hp, and bonus damage).

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 7, 2012 10:56:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree magic being increased from shards is a big part of the problem.

Shards should only provide one mana, attunement/brilliant should only be +1 mana also  (Magnar may need a small buff to scar stones to make up for it, Ceresa and Procinipee have their silly spells so a nerf is justified for them)

Maybe a late game magic tech should bring mana per shard up to 2. 

May 7, 2012 11:08:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Alstein,
I agree magic being increased from shards is a big part of the problem.

Shards should only provide one mana, attunement/brilliant should only be +1 mana also  (Magnar may need a small buff to scar stones to make up for it, Ceresa and Procinipee have their silly spells so a nerf is justified for them)

Maybe a late game magic tech should bring mana per shard up to 2. 

Honestly I think that magic should scale alot less from shards, theyre way too important right now.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 7, 2012 2:36:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would actually like to see mana production go up, and spells cost more, so that there is a greater ability to properly cost spells in relative terms.

As it stands, we get 2 mana a turn without shards, making even the cheapest spells 5 turns of saving for, and that places a greater incentive to min/max your spell choices.

This is a large part of why Fire is a required school, and so many others have "pointless" spells. Even if their functionality is good, they just can't compete on a cost->effect level with Fire's tactical, and the cost->benefit in strategic spells is pretty relatively high when compared against the tactical boost of flame dart and heal.

May 7, 2012 2:41:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hummm..... I think mana and magic should reworked, they are very weak and not use very much, it's so easy and fun to play a warrior, but mage is not fun to play, too much drying, too limited of mana, and not lot of spell help in battle, I don't see much 1 level of range spell damage, sure as air, earth, water, life, no damage there, though fire had one, but it's not range but close one, only thing fire second level had a good spell range, but little cost lot of mana for little damage. That's me, though.

May 7, 2012 2:55:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Humility,

Hummm..... I think mana and magic should reworked, they are very weak and not use very much, it's so easy and fun to play a warrior, but mage is not fun to play, too much drying, too limited of mana, and not lot of spell help in battle, I don't see much 1 level of range spell damage, sure as air, earth, water, life, no damage there, though fire had one, but it's not range but close one, only thing fire second level had a good spell range, but little cost lot of mana for little damage. That's me, though.

Meaby I should post up a vid about how to use you magicks, it is not based on combat spells alot, the best spells ATM is the enchantments, especially the city enchantments, that is also why I think life magic is the best atm due to the enchantment where cities produce troops with more hp.

That said, I still agree with the original post that there should be some kind of choice in how powerful champions should become, not only magical champions but warrior champions as well.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 7, 2012 4:22:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Regarding a EXP toggle, I don't mind this option, but you should also be aware that your sovereign level has a huge impact on faction prestige, which in turns affect overall empire growth. The latest changes (slowing down leveling) has resulted in also slowing down empire growth. I have a more indept explanation on that aspect here: http://forums.elementalgame.com/424125

So before adding this toggle, they'd also need to do something that tweaks that as well. Or perhaps just chalk it up as part of the experience the player wants and just make sure the AI can handle it appropriately.

Regarding magic, I do think magic spells are costing too little. With some basic mana reduction setup on your hero (Path of the Mage, Affection, and Mantle of Oceans), you can cast the cheaper spells for 1 or 2 mana. Meaning you can cast them pretty much forever in tactical. My most used spells is slow and haste. Slow, when used on big bad bosses (and with a few water shards) allows me to kill them before they even move. 100x more effective than firedart if you have some troops with you. Haste just makes things even more unfair. Both of those spells cost 1 mana per cast with the aforementioned mana reduction setup.

I also use enchantment spells a lot, mainly city enchantments, I only use unit enchantments when I really need to (and that's not often).

May 8, 2012 1:17:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can't believe how slow the leveling has become. I saw this happen with GalCiv2 as well. Suddenly in one patch there was a steep rising cost to each successive tech, so it took 50-100 turns to research one tech (planetary invasion). Stays that way today. These pacing decisions can kill the fun of the game. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000688   Page Render Time: