Stardock’s visitor stats tell interesting picture

By on May 1, 2012 11:52:21 AM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Draginol

Join Date 03/2001
+102

Let’s look at 3 web stats that tell us a little bit about the demographics of who visits us.

First, we’ll use our homepage: Stardock.com.

Then, we’ll look at our most popular game, SinsOfASolarEmpire.com

And lastly, we’ll look at our most popular desktop utility, Fences.

These stats are for the month of April, 2012.

Who visit Stardock.com?

• By Browser: Firefox (34%), Chrome (32%), Internet Explorer (24%)
  • By OS: Windows 7 (58%), XP (34%), Vista (6%)
  • Top Resolution: 1366 x 768 (20%)

Who asks for support?

• By Browser: Internet Explorer (33%) , Firefox (32%), Chrome (30%)
  • By OS: Windows 7 (73%), XP (17%), Vista  (6%)
  • Top Resolution: 1920x1080 (20%)

Who visits Sins of a Solar Empire?

• By Browser: Firefox (40%), Chrome (30%), IE (22%)
  • By OS:  Windows 7 (72%), XP (16%), Vista (13%)
  • Top Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 (21%)

Who visits Fences?

• By Browser: Chrome (34%), Firefox (31%), IE (29%)
  • By OS: Windows 7 (64%), XP (29%), Vista (5%)
  • Top Screen Resolution: 1366x768 (18%)

So what can we take from this?

Stardock.com gets the lion’s share of traffic (90%). Fences gets about 2X the traffic of Sins of a Solar Empire. And support gets a relatively small number of visitors (though bear in mind, we’re still talking about millions of visitors a month in each so it’s all statistically interesting still).

What I find interesting is that when it comes time to ask for support, it’s Internet Explorer users at the top.  It’s the only unusual bump IE gets in visitors (it’s last in every other category).

Locked Post 45 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
May 1, 2012 11:57:35 AM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

That is interesting. Does that carry through to WC Support Forum posts/requests for help?

May 1, 2012 12:06:09 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

There is one consistent thing there.  Nobody uses Vista!

May 1, 2012 12:08:20 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

cool but what about Wincustomize

May 1, 2012 12:20:24 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Poor Vista, dead at such a young age. ( I secretly wish the same fate for Windows8)    I do like Vista, but it doesn't measure up to Windows 7 in any respect.

I am suprised that IE is losing ground so quickly. It's still my preferred browser.

May 1, 2012 1:02:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hey, wait a minute! I use windows Vista (desktop) and IE 8. Rarely have I had any problems: Skyrim, Crysis, even Elemental have all run well on it. By the way, I am exactly 3" tall and that is a perfectly good heighth to be! So there.

May 1, 2012 1:41:49 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Gaston_DAoust,
I am exactly 3" tall

There ya go. lol

May 1, 2012 1:41:55 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Thus is the problem with providing statistics, they only show what the presenter is wishing to depict, and far less then what folks read into them. 

May 1, 2012 1:55:56 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Internet Explorer:  The best browser anyone can use to download Google Chrome!

May 1, 2012 2:07:52 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Fyrstar2002,
Internet Explorer:  The best browser anyone can use to download Google Chrome!
Awesome!

May 1, 2012 2:11:58 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Neil Banfield,

Which I find a tad odd... Might just be me, but I think Vista has been the best Windows OS, so far.
Used it with pride up untill a couple of weeks ago when I had Win7 shoved down my throat for buying a new PC.
Can't say I enjoy Win7 the same way....

May 1, 2012 2:25:09 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Snowman,
Which I find a tad odd... Might just be me, but I think Vista has been the best Windows OS, so far.
Used it with pride up untill a couple of weeks ago when I had Win7 shoved down my throat for buying a new PC.
Can't say I enjoy Win7 the same way....

You are honestly the first person I've heard prefer Vista to 7.  Can you point to anything specific?  I'm very curious.  I used Vista for a while, and after a good chunk of updates, it actually got to the point where I liked it better than XP.  Once 7 hit, though, I never looked back, especially due to the new taskbar.

May 1, 2012 3:02:26 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,

You are honestly the first person I've heard prefer Vista to 7.  Can you point to anything specific?  I'm very curious.  I used Vista for a while, and after a good chunk of updates, it actually got to the point where I liked it better than XP.  Once 7 hit, though, I never looked back, especially due to the new taskbar.

Well, Rosco, I know -a lot- of people disliked it and had a bad experience using it, but all I can say is... it worked, 100%.
Up untill the last 3-4 months I used it I hadn't had a BSOD since I used XP. Any and all applications I gave a run worked without a hitch.

There may very well have been some areas of Vista I never "got in touch with", which have given others grey hair.

But.... mainly it's because certain applications (specifically a certain Stardock application) worked on 64bit Vista, but doesn't on 64bit Win7, or in combination with other applications on 64bit Win7.

My first go at useing Win7 didn't really spark much 'love' either. As I've mentioned numerous times before on the forum, Vista performed better on my (old) system than Win7 did.
I couldn't have half the applications open, in Win7 as I had in Vista, before Win7 started 'spitting blood'. With Vista.... I doubt I was even capable of maxing it's potential. I often had 3 browsers (or more, with several tabs open in each) going, PaintShop Pro, Photoshop, Outlook, various background shit (3 monitor set up) and still I could have a movie running without any hickups. In Win7.... 2-3 applications, a movie and it started screaming about 'limited experience due to slow performance', or something like that.

All in all; Vista was by far the better choice for me.

May 1, 2012 3:10:42 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

There were a few pre-configured systems that worked flawlessly with Vista and if you had one you would like it.  Or you could start with my wife's expensive Samsung laptop with wonderful Vista that required me to fix and repair it daily.

As a computer repair guy, Vista was terrible overall--though with some neat features and improvements here an there.

Essentially, if you started with a "blessed system" and never taxed or altered it you might like it...but wait until you do have a problem...then you will learn the meaning of hate.

May 1, 2012 3:31:40 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Sinperium,
There were a few pre-configured systems that worked flawlessly with Vista and if you had one you would like it.  Or you could start with my wife's expensive Samsung laptop with wonderful Vista that required me to fix and repair it daily.

As a computer repair guy, Vista was terrible overall--though with some neat features and improvements here an there.

Essentially, if you started with a "blessed system" and never taxed or altered it you might like it...but wait until you do have a problem...then you will learn the meaning of hate.

I was working at the GeekSquad when Vista hit.  I had to set up every single display unit for the new Vista systems for launch day.  It's amazing how many of them had issues right out of the box.

I still have nightmares about it.

Not really.

But still, it wasn't fun.

May 1, 2012 4:06:30 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Rosco_P,
It's amazing how many of them had issues right out of the box.

True, Vista before SP1 was a bit flakey, but after SP1 and 2, it was pretty solid for me.

May 1, 2012 4:10:34 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

1366 x 768 resolution seems popular. That surprised me because I thought I was one of the few who liked that setting.

I've tried 1920 x 1080 but I don't like squinting.

May 1, 2012 4:21:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

• By Browser: Firefox (40%), Chrome (30%), IE (22%)
  • By OS:  Windows 7 (72%), XP (16%), Vista (13%)
  • Top Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 (21%)

You sure about those numbers regarding OS?  

May 1, 2012 4:28:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I just started to use Chrome and so far I am loving it. Though once in awhile I will use firefox. 

Why is 1366 x 768 so popular...? Laptop resolution or something?

Keep buying Win 7 people! 

May 1, 2012 4:35:47 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Berserkben,

By Browser: Firefox (40%), Chrome (30%), IE (22%)
By OS:  Windows 7 (72%), XP (16%), Vista (13%)
Top Screen Resolution: 1920x1080 (21%)

You sure about those numbers regarding OS?   % 

Some visitors came back twice.

May 1, 2012 5:18:36 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting Hawawaa,
Why is 1366 x 768 so popular...? Laptop resolution or something?

My first laptop was 1366x768

May 1, 2012 6:00:18 PM from Sins of a Solar Empire Forums Sins of a Solar Empire Forums

Quoting Gaston_DAoust,
I am exactly 3" tall

Lying down?  

This is so weird because I have 5 desktop systems.  4 run Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bit, 1 XP Business.  2 laptops with Win 7 64 bit. 

Me and the kids have played a lot of BroodWar.  BroodWar does not play nice with Win 7.  It's a weird rotation of the color palette issue with no good way to fix it.  

I really have not had a problem with any of the systems.  

May 1, 2012 6:02:11 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

I've got to toss my hat into the ring concerning Windows Vista.I actually loved it !! It performed flawlessly for me and to tell you the truth, all the hoopla by Microsoft about the better graphics capability in Win 7 eludes me. I simply don't see it. I'll even go out on a ledge here and say that actually, my games played much better in vista with fewer crashes than I have now, and I have a high-end self built gaming rig. Therefore I know it's not my PC, my benchmarks are right up there with the best of the best. So that only leads me to the conclusion that Vista was a pretty solid OS. The only reason I haven't gone back to it is my concern about compatibility with WindowBlinds and other eye candy apps. But....I may get a wild hair and try it again sometime if I get bored enough because it's pretty certain at this point in time that I won't be migrating to Win8 anytime soon....if ever ! So that's the way it is...Tuesday, May 1st, 2012.      -- Ace --

May 1, 2012 6:20:44 PM from WinCustomize Forums WinCustomize Forums

Quoting AceMatrix,
The only reason I haven't gone back to it is my concern about compatibility with WindowBlinds and other eye candy apps.

If that was your only reason for switching to Win7 I would say you were way off track.
As of two weeks ago, every Stardock application I used (on Vista) worked fine, if not better.....
And now, being on 'the glorious' (64bit) Win7, I/we actually have less Stardock goodies to play with.
One step backwards, imo...

May 1, 2012 6:40:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting RedDwarf999,

Me and the kids have played a lot of BroodWar.  BroodWar does not play nice with Win 7.  It's a weird rotation of the color palette issue with no good way to fix it.

I had a similar problem when trying to run Master of Orion II on Windows 7.

I found a very strange solution on the web.

If I open the 'Screen resolution' window (right clicking on the desktop) then all the colours are as they should be when I start the game. I don't even have to do anything in the Screen resolution window. It just needs to be opened.

I know this doesn't make much sense, but it works for MoO2, maybe it'll work for Starcraft.

May 1, 2012 6:49:33 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

I'd use Windows Vista over Windows XP.  But it's a far cry from Windows 7.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0001203   Page Render Time: