can download but not install

By on April 28, 2012 3:08:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

jpattersonuk

Join Date 09/2010

Bizarrely, I had a password/login error on my up to date version yesterday. It was a pain as i couldn't play so i thought i'd just uninstall, redownload and reinstall. The bad news being it simply won't install... Its downloaded (i've done it 4 times now to check) but when i double click i get the egg timer and nothing else happens even if i leave it for an hour or two. It also tends to messup my system.

I've turned off firewalls, antivirus etc... I seem to remember it taking a while to start the installation last time but maybe 10 mins or so.

Any thoughts?

Locked Post 6 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 28, 2012 5:36:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had the exact same problem, tried the same solution, and am now having the same problem. Please help.

April 29, 2012 12:30:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had a bug with FE where talking to a race caused the game to crash.  Someone suggested uninstalling ... supposedly would fix the problem.   Well, as far as I can tell something happened with the uninstall ... now FE won't reinstall.  I have tried cleaning the registry, tech support. 

Their last suggestion was to install the game on a different PC.

April 29, 2012 2:50:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have you tried Revo Uninstaller?  Though you'd probably need to look up how to uninstall a program if your program has been removed from the list.  I had a problem with a failed uninstall, and Revo Uninstaller Pro fixed it.  But the regular version should help, especially if the install entry is still listed.

April 29, 2012 10:20:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Steve, thanks I think that software would have worked.   If anyone else is having the corrupt beta install bug,   They should check this out, it seems like it would remove whatever else is in the registry that keeps the beta from installing.    I am afraid that I have tinkered with this so much myself, that Revo can not pick up what is still left in the registry.  

April 30, 2012 3:51:07 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Right - i finally got it to install (untested starting it mind). 

I turned off all my anti virus and firewalls, then closed every application and non vital system working away in the background to free up more memory. Then redownloaded the latest version and hey presto, 30 minutes later it started installing. The latest version didn't need an update either so perhaps there was something wrong with the original.

May 7, 2012 3:38:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I am having this problem on my laptop atm fairly similar specs to my desktop but the setup will not work, usually causes windows explorer to stop responding

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000312   Page Render Time: