[BUG][.91]Resources and the build queue

By on April 26, 2012 3:09:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kantok

Join Date 10/2007
+67

When a resource is next to a city and you build on it, in the case of my current game an air shard, it gets added to your city's build queue as if it were another city improvement.  When a resource is not right next to your city and you build on it, it does not get added to the city's build queue.  Like any city improvement, the resource must wait its turn in the build queue, thus negating a fair amount of a good start location because you're best city location may lead to having 50 or 60 turns of resource taking up your build queue.  

This has been reported before and we've never gotten clarification if its intentional or not.  The behavior seems kind of goofy.  I'm curious if it's intentional or if there are plans to make this more consistent (either both scenarios are added to the city's queue or neither are).  I can provide a save game if that would help.  

Locked Post 8 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 26, 2012 3:29:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I can live with it being added to the build queue, it is being protected by city walls at that point. At least you can wait to build that if you desire. The real problem is the rebuild - when your city builds up to an already producing resource, and then that resource gets added to the city build and built all over again.

April 26, 2012 3:29:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This was also one of my "sad panda notes" in my feedback...

April 26, 2012 4:09:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Leo in WI,
I can live with it being added to the build queue, it is being protected by city walls at that point. At least you can wait to build that if you desire. The real problem is the rebuild - when your city builds up to an already producing resource, and then that resource gets added to the city build and built all over again.

I can't.  The reasoning doesn't make sense.  So taking 25 turns and no build queue slot to build a mine in the wilderness that is assigned to city X, , but building it with in the city limits of X does consume a slot?  Why?  It's essentially penalizing you for building next to resources.  You could instead found your city one square away and build the resource and city improvements at the same time.  

Being within the city walls does not change how much effort goes into producing it.  If they leave it as is, fine, but it'd be nice to know if it was staying that way so I could just get over it and start getting used to it.  Because as of now, it's probably the most infuriating "bug" in the game for me.  Maybe that's not logical, but it's true nonetheless. 

April 26, 2012 4:15:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does it actually add more time though? I think someone said that it only looks like it does but you can actually build other things at the same time. Either way it is confusing and shouldn't show up in the queue.

April 26, 2012 4:21:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting DsRaider,
Does it actually add more time though? I think someone said that it only looks like it does but you can actually build other things at the same time. Either way it is confusing and shouldn't show up in the queue.

I just checked.  It's true that it's mainly a UI issue.  Whatever is up in the build queue that is not the resource also gets built.  Good to know.  Thanks. 

April 26, 2012 5:24:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kantok,

Quoting DsRaider, reply 4Does it actually add more time though? I think someone said that it only looks like it does but you can actually build other things at the same time. Either way it is confusing and shouldn't show up in the queue.

I just checked.  It's true that it's mainly a UI issue.  Whatever is up in the build queue that is not the resource also gets built.  Good to know.  Thanks. 

Wow, thats poor UI... I have cancelled several of those due to me wanting to build something else first...

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 26, 2012 5:46:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Kongdej,

Quoting Kantok, reply 5
Quoting DsRaider, reply 4Does it actually add more time though? I think someone said that it only looks like it does but you can actually build other things at the same time. Either way it is confusing and shouldn't show up in the queue.

Wow, thats poor UI... I have cancelled several of those due to me wanting to build something else first...

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

Same here.  Gotta just be a UI bug.

April 27, 2012 2:08:56 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A. This is not a bug.

B. The resource will not be constructed simultaneously with another improvement in the city's build queue.  Why would it?

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000078   Page Render Time: