Brad’s random FE Beta 3 opinions

By on April 22, 2012 9:00:39 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1469

As you may imagine, with each iteration, we internally pepper Kael with our own ideas and suggestions.  In no particular order these are some of the ones I’ve put in so you get a flavor of the feedback that poor Kael has to deal with daily. Smile

• Every champion should have a unique ability – ex: give Baco “Destiny’s Gambler” spell where the player can spend 50 mana and get a random result, mostly good but some bad.
  • Move random events away from being random and into being “choices”. For instance, an event that currently just random makes everyone go to war instead turns into a council where everyone votes on whether to have a war of finality or an emissary comes and demands you give them 10% of your income, if you fail fortresses appear on the map that begin attacking everyone.
  • Have Civ techs that cause Outposts to get guards and expand influence so that you don’t need as many late game.
  • Have weapons and armor that are “better” but cost significantly more resources so that the player with more stuff can fight a war of attrition.
  • Have quests tend to give players access to more spells so that they’re more compelling. Getting a magic axe is less interesting and gets repetitive. Getting a random magic spell, by contrast, would make the finite # of quests have far greater replay ability.
  • More terrain types (especially snow at the poles).
  • Outpost specialization (late game, spend money to upgrade outposts that have an impact on the ZOC they control)

Now coming up in beta 4 is the new city system which will result in smaller looking cities (far fewer tiles on the map) but a lot more city improvements to choose from in total but fewer in a particular city (cities will specialize and that specialization will make available exclusive techs that require that city type). But that won’t be coming for awhile. But just something to remember when making requests on cities.

Mind you, these are just suggestions and may never make it in.  There are a lot of good ideas that get made everyday but there’s finite time and budget and the game has a very specific design that is being carried out on schedule that has done well so far.  But as we do iterations of a beta, there’s room for adjustments still.

Locked Post 53 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 22, 2012 9:25:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seem like cool ideas to me, let's hope Derek agrees.

April 22, 2012 9:34:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

"More terrain types (especially snow at the poles)."

Is that some kind of stripper coke reference?

You do realize the world is flat right? 

April 22, 2012 9:36:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Sounds exciting, Brad.  I'm all for more city differentiation, more random events, more distinctive champions.

April 22, 2012 9:43:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Every champion should have a unique ability

Seems like what thier going for

Good ideas

April 22, 2012 9:43:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Item 1 sound like a lot of effort to program and debug to set up all those special traits.  You could achieve comparable unique-ness with fewer traits by letting many of champs have TWO out of your list of special traits, and not letting any two champs have the same combination.

Item 4 sounds good.  I like a wide variety of weapons, like good + cheap but hard to research; or good + easy-to-research but expensive.  And toss in a few overpriced lemons just to keep us awake.

April 22, 2012 9:47:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

More terrain types (especially snow at the poles).

This. And a spell creating a giant wall made of ice! 

April 22, 2012 9:52:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Like them all.  Crack the whip!

April 22, 2012 10:15:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like most of them but random magic spell, that make mage no fun at all due bad luck of random, while fighter or warrior sovig easy life can choice any weapon.

April 22, 2012 10:19:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ponies?

April 22, 2012 10:28:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Outposts definitely need more love and more interesting terrain couldn't hurt I guess.

April 22, 2012 10:31:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Humility,
I like most of them but random magic spell, that make mage no fun at all due bad luck of random, while fighter or warrior sovig easy life can choice any weapon.

I disagree.  Quest-sourced spells are awesome, fit with the lore, and as long as none of the core spells are only available from quests, they make quests continually interesting.  Especially if there are interesting or unique spells available only from quests.  As it stands now, once you reach a certain gear threshold quests are basically useless other than as a possible source of XP.  

I doubly love the outpost stuff. 

April 22, 2012 10:38:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure if the listed outpost enchancements would make the game more or less fun. Once I have my stack of doom created, are these enhanced outposts going to do anything worthwhile? Seems like they will be more free XP for my heroes.

I'm noticing that issues reported with the previous beta haven't been addressed. Specifically, the pathing problems and the AI spamming cheap worthless units.

April 23, 2012 1:43:41 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Those ideas sounds good:

The random civ attacking everyone idea sounds too much like GC2 peacekeepers mega-event, which I never liked because the AI couldn't handle it.

Outposts do need to be able to be upgradable

The superior weapons/armor could be handled by buildings/quests (master blacksmith quest- one option- "You are welcomed in my kingdom/empire"- would increase production time for troops by 20% in the city but enable better weapons)

The outposts are more for protection against monsters then heroes, or a roadblock.  One change to outposts I'd make is you cannot raze in an outpost's ZOC.

April 23, 2012 3:55:35 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

Move random events away from being random and into being “choices”. For instance, an event that currently just random makes everyone go to war instead turns into a council where everyone votes on whether to have a war of finality or an emissary comes and demands you give them 10% of your income, if you fail fortresses appear on the map that begin attacking everyone.

Have weapons and armor that are “better” but cost significantly more resources so that the player with more stuff can fight a war of attrition.

YES!! Yes yes yes yes!!

I thought the second one (better weapons cost more resources) was already in?!? If not, YES!! Yes! Yesyesyes!

April 23, 2012 4:01:37 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nice to hear that someone has heard my quest laments. Maybe if you invite Derek over to your house and then sick the bees on him until he agrees?

April 23, 2012 4:06:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Obligatory:

April 23, 2012 4:23:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Obligatory:

What a poor use of the word "obligatory"

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 23, 2012 4:51:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like to see "what you are up to and have in mind" cause that gives a greater insight of what kind of ideas to filter out of my head (full of ideas ). And its plain interesting! so thumbs up for some sharing.

Quoting ,
Now coming up in beta 4 is the new city system which will result in smaller looking cities (far fewer tiles on the map) but a lot more city improvements to choose from in total but fewer in a particular city (cities will specialize and that specialization will make available exclusive techs that require that city type). But that won’t be coming for awhile. But just something to remember when making requests on cities.

Hm... I am going to be a little... negative about this part, doesn't sound very cool, especially with the random choices in city level ups and the dependable technology before you can go anywhere... Sounds like its only going to be civilized factions that get the cool stuff...
Especially bad news because I just finished a MAJOR post about cities, and did not see this , arh well hope it still is going to count.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 23, 2012 5:14:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

An outpost technology which causes enemy units to lose one movement point in the ZOC of the outpost would be very useful in countering your stack-of-doom.

I am wondering what is going to be done to the monsters and their treasures? Currently it is very easy to steal the items from the monsters without doing any fighting. This way you can get high-end equipment from monsters you have no possibility to beat. You can do this in the early game. This unbalances the game.

I would like to see at least three different types of monsters:

• Static. These monsters just guard their loot and sometimes spawn weaker monsters. MoM style.
  • Wandering. These monsters carry their loot with them. They might be doing nothing, or they could have some specific goals in mind.
  • Guardians. These monsters work as now with the exception that when you steal their loot, they will try to get it back. So, you stole that sword from the death demon? Now it is going to go after you. You can't hide. You can run away, kill the demon or die (and the monster gets its item back).

In addition, maybe some of the high-end magical items should have abilities which you can unlock by research. This way even if you can get a high-end sword in the early game, it will not unbalance the game as it isn't that powerful in the early game. It could also be fun to see "This weapon has hidden abilities: research technology X to unlock them!".

April 23, 2012 10:26:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Obligatory:

Hmmmm, it's might do.

April 23, 2012 10:31:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Have quests tend to give players access to more spells so that they’re more compelling. Getting a magic axe is less interesting and gets repetitive. Getting a random magic spell, by contrast, would make the finite # of quests have far greater replay ability.

Agreed. finding random new spells would addd greatly to replayability, especially if these spells were truely useful - perhaps Web, Summon Dire Bear, Downpour (reduces range of ranged attacks to 1 tiles and movement by -1 for x turns), etc.

April 23, 2012 3:20:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

• Move random events away from being random and into being “choices”. For instance, an event that currently just random makes everyone go to war instead turns into a council where everyone votes on whether to have a war of finality or an emissary comes and demands you give them 10% of your income, if you fail fortresses appear on the map that begin attacking everyone.

Oh good god... yes. I played the beta for the first ever time last night and was thinking about a global threat appearing through a random event. My idea was an undead army that got stronger every time it won and the player that destroys it gets a title and bonus to it's faction. Anything that makes it clear that you are against the world rather than just other factions is good. Natural disasters would be good too.

Event-

Dread news my lord! The cursed army of Zeharum has risen after a three-century slumber. Villages are reported to have been found completely empty with no sign of the inhabitants. Travellers speak of small groups of unholy creatures led by a Dark Lord being swelled by the recently slain. Do we gamble they will march on our rivals? Or shall we gird our loins and cut the head from the serpent whilst we can?

April 23, 2012 3:25:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In D&D you had a mechanic for a chance to surprise the enemy in wilderness encounters.

To add variety to tactical combat, why not have a chance for the AI to surprise you and for you to surprise the AI

• If you surprise (ambush) the other side, you have an option to have your units appear close to the enemy, a likely choice if I don't have ranged attack units in that stack.
  • If the enemy AI surprises you they have the option to have the AI units appear close to your units at the start of the tactical battle; most likely choosing close if they don't have ranged attackers.

The chance to surprise an army or be surprise would be based on your Wilderness Lore trait (Wilderness Lore I = 10% to surprise enemy, Wilderness Lore II= + 20% to surprise enemy, Wilderness Lore III = +20% to surprise enemy.

Example:

Army B with Wilderness Lore III (50%) surprises enemy Army B (Wilderness Lore II - 30%) and has 20% to surprise the Army B. He surprises Army B and decides to have a close encounter. Army A appears close to the enemy on the tactical battlefield.

April 23, 2012 4:39:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I really like the sound of this.

April 23, 2012 5:09:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Did I willfully miss it, or has nobody asked yet when Beta 4 will arrive? 

My thoughts: hold it off until it truly feels done.  Don't push it out the door to capitalize on an enthusiasm which will be there, anyway.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000485   Page Render Time: