Green, Brown and Purple

By on April 22, 2012 4:06:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

enoeraew37

Join Date 11/2005
+5

Green, brown or purple. Mountain water forest. Are there any more land tiles ? Every part of the world looks like every other esp after you've cleared the area of loots and critters

Locked Post 44 Replies +1 Karma
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
DsRaider
April 23, 2012 9:33:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to see indications of the land being altered by monsters, magic, men and mayhem.

Like spider webs becoming visible in the trees, as a spider colony grows more populous. On the world map, player notices webs atop a few trees in a nearby forest. Overtime the webs thicken and the canopy expands. The threat grows. If you leave it over-long, the forest dies and the spiders mass migrate to new homes. Six groups of ravenous spiders, each lead by a monstrous sister queen; walking about the land, preying on people and whole towns, looking for suitable nesting and prey sites. To begin the process anew, but many times over, if not stopped. 

Mage casts Corrupt Land. Maintains enchantment for long time. Leaf and limb wilt and sag. Unsightly, and atmospherically unpleasant to be in; but not a threat to health.. yet. Though the fauna begin to flee, as the flora loses fertility. Can be settled, but yields little. Corruption germinates over time. Eventually the flora of that land, is overrun by genetically corrupted versions of the original. A living rot. Every cell filling with an infectious ooze. Swelling in the humidity and heat of the fetid waste, to randomly burst like an epic'ly popped pimple. Spraying it's nasty innards, to spread a corrupted infection upon anything unfortunate enough to be within the blast radius. A dangerous place to be (like the "Blight" in WOT). Units lose HP each turn. Land cannot be settled. By day the rot corrupts flesh and soul. The night is prowled by corrupted distortions of creatures that have died within.

It is widely said the dead walk there. Nay, those monstrosities have never known live. They are corrupted copies of the dead. Animated to prowl the night, extinguishing all life within the corruption. Come dawn they collapse to a pile of rotted mush. To rise again at night, once and again, eternal. Each night further corrupting the genetic design. Morphing the monsters to designs beyond imagination.

(Originally a Civ4 mod thought, originating from a D&D campaign I crafted, but was never played. Big concepts such as subterranean maps, where not possible in Civ4. Can it be done in E:FE? For mods? Sometimes I wonder if the mod is better as it's own game. Many mechanic changes such as settlers settling camps vs cities. Player grows camp over time to become farmstead, fort, town, city, +. Different decisions, resulting in different types of settlements over time. From garrisoned fort to self-sustained castle. From agricultural towns exporting food, to mining towns and trade hubs, and governing and science cities, and sorcery and.. So then I wonder how one goes about presenting Stardock with an idea for a game to build using it's new engine.)

The draining of swamps and magicaly morphing them to develop into enchanted meadow islands, among clear water pools and crystal streams. A 'matured' mystical meadow attracts nature sprites or some such (Lord Xia's Ponies?). Or gives Life Mana. 

Upwelling a spring in the desert, to become Oasis, ringed by a band of barren desert.

A flush of rare spring flowers, on the site of an epic battle, which actually happened in game.

A spell to raise skeletons from an ancient battlefield.

Regrowth after a wildfire. Ruins decayed over time.

The planting of forests, orchards, vineyards.

Lands growing haunted, shades emerging.

Much more

But these things aren't immediately gratified. They occur over time. Player gets to see change over time. And player faces more complexity in decision making: Long term investments vs short yield. They see their decisions are reflected in the game world. A living world where Orchards are planted, then mature over time before becoming fruitful. Where magic can crack the surface of the earth to call forth the magma, and man can irrigate desert to fertile bread basket; but mage and man merely provoke nature to do, in it's own time, what it will and how. I'd like to see it in game. How about you?

April 23, 2012 9:59:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lands which have more stone exposed like some areas of the Canadian Shield

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ShWR57e9BlI/Ss0WmWfWzeI/AAAAAAAAD44/8SvJmg8f6YI/s1600-h/P8213511+copy.jpg

http://charlinex.hubpages.com/hub/Dramatic-Rocks-In-Eastern-Georgian-Bay

Perhaps styling swaps more like bogs or add bogs

April 23, 2012 10:07:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is it possible to add little things to certain terrain types that are magical? Fairy lights, willo-the-wisps, aurora borealis rainbows? Not everywhere, certainly, but occasional areas would be nice. Perhaps they could signal especially good terrain for settling or something.

April 23, 2012 10:39:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Arctic Wastelands- Units without protection from cold sustain 1-2 hp damage every time they move. 

Deep desert- Very fews monsters except at oasis. Units sustain -10 accuracy, -10 weight encumbrance due to exhaustion and -5 attack.

Coastal Plains- Cities once thrived here but are ruins inhabited by twisted creatures. Conquering a ruin nets gold and building materials that reduce construction times in nearest city for current/next building.

Highlands- Terrain reknown for healing herbs, the patches of herbs are jealously guarded by darklings and their ilk.

April 23, 2012 10:55:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Rockier mountains and cliffs:

Buildings/ruins and other structures in forests / marshes

Lakes in marshes

April 25, 2012 5:25:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah the mountains in FE are a little weird looking, some of them should be a little less round.

The current stamp system would work great for adding ruins to the game. I think they would really help with making exploring the world a little more interesting. Nothing too complex just a few patches of cobblestone terrain with some crumbled walls, buildings, and vegetation on it. If the world was destroyed in a cataclysm there really should be some ruins around to show it.

April 25, 2012 5:33:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Do you guys remember how the terrain would change over time in SMAC and some of the Civ versions.  I think having forests and swamps that grow or deserts that expand would be cool.

April 25, 2012 5:40:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Trojasmic,
Do you guys remember how the terrain would change over time in SMAC and some of the Civ versions.  I think having forests and swamps that grow or deserts that expand would be cool.

Hm, well then again, they will start eating up fertile land, the reason it works so well in "Alpha Centauri" is because everyone have a worker unit readily available...
I did kind of suggest this in another thread, A unit to chop down tree's, so I can get some more grain spots, then again that is rather a lot of non-magical terraforming

PS: that is one of the most awesome features of "Alpha Centauri", the landscape was easily interchangeable via in-game methods I could create mountains, and great expanses of sea to block off my enemies, vast forests to halt invasions, right now there is only a create mountain spell which sillifies the terrain... I guess it is enough tho ...
And once in a while the factions could "Melt Polar Caps" to increase water level... poor undeveloped cities.. arh well enough offtopic

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 25, 2012 7:13:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WhiteElk,
A flush of rare spring flowers, on the site of an epic battle, which actually happened in game.

I love the idea of your game's history being visibly represented in the land. Being able to see that a huge war had been waged to your west because of a disfigured landscape caused by the heavy use of magic or seige weapons now characterizes the region.

Could these be easily added? Maybe code these tile-features (flowers, split tress, dark-magical-auras, whathaveyou) to be "the same" as groundcover? Placing them over the tile-textures following a specific triggering event.

Edit: Ps: I also am a huge advocate for "more interesting" hills, varied forests (particularly on the clothmap), tundra, and more grassess! Yeahyeah!

April 25, 2012 10:22:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It would be nice if the traversible mountainside tiles had an alpine ground type with conifers and/or scree on them.

Tundra and Solid ice are a given.

I'd also like some sparing 'blasted' crystalline ground to be added like the tiles around chasms with a Giant's Causeway effect would be nice.

Also as mentioned above, true ruined cities that cover more than one tile would be nice. They don't have to give any resources extra just as mentioned above it's hard to believe a cataclysm happened if there are no big cities that were brought low in the world.

Also a few non standard settings would be nice with a rain forest/jungle feel or avannah for if you want to take your empire in a more Aztec, sacrificial direction. I know it may not fit in with previous lore but if this is after the end then the player should have artistic licence over what happens right?

Semi related note, it would be helpful if the different faction buildings had a distinct feel to them also. Such as arabian, elvish, gothic, or even dwarven reminiscent architecture so we get a better feel of each faction having a different mood and feel to them. I know that might seem a lot to ask but it also ties in with the world feeling homogenous.

May 1, 2012 12:02:20 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You could break up otherwise repetitive grassy landscapes with areas sprinkled with tall stone pillars and huge trees that tower over the other nearby trees. Adding a few of those would be a easy way to add a fantasy world feel to an area, just don't over use them. They should be rare enough that seeing them is a rare surprise. Also waterfalls already kinda exist so why not make them spawn from  mountains and flow into ponds and rivers? Or how about a geyser or two.

May 1, 2012 6:57:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

ooh geysers, I looooove geysers!!

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 1, 2012 7:05:52 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really like all the above. I'm more interested in the world (terrain, wildlands, monsters, lairs) then the factions.

Quoting Frogboy,
I'd like to see more terrain too. Do you have requests I should add to my own?

This qoute warmes my hearth. I know that Brad is not the designer of the game, but seeing the big chief wanting it too, makes the odds of getting it more likely. ^^

May 1, 2012 8:58:12 AM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I'd like to see more terrain too. Do you have requests I should add to my own?

Snow Terrain

Tundra (yes a little different)

Jungle

Death (See AOW:SM for example)

Ice on the water (Perhaps have a spell that can turn water to ice and allow units to walk along it. But have a duration and allow stratigic area fire spells to melt the Ice and drown units AlA AOW:SM)

Perhaps have multilayed maps and have Caverns.

May 1, 2012 9:36:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A giant frog with orange eyes.  

Please, NO bright vivid colours, I love the dark and forbidding  look of EFE.

May 1, 2012 6:13:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

While rivers help a fair bit more could be done to make the world of Elemental far less generic looking. I mean it's a post-apocalyptic fantasy world with hundred of years of established lore, surely something can be done to help make maps look a little less like golf courses. When you play you should be able to recognize beyond a doubt the world from Elemental lore.

May 10, 2012 10:07:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah apparently the rock formations in chasms in Fallen Enchantress are real... Just look up the Giant's Causeway in Ireland.

May 10, 2012 10:42:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Volcanic wastelands. (We will need ashen volcanic lands as well since not all volcanos are lava producers.)

May 10, 2012 10:51:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For some reason its bitching about my posts so...

Tropical jungle

Ruined cities.

In addition the various terrains could provides bonuses as well. For example in the "ashen volcanic regions" the soil would be very fertile, providing major food bonuses, but if the volcano goes off..... lava volcanos may have more metals or some other mineral type bonuses.... no clue on the others but having the more spiced up terrain offering spiced up bonuses and penalties also would help make them stand out more then terrain features currently do.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000235   Page Render Time: