Green, Brown and Purple

By on April 22, 2012 4:06:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

enoeraew37

Join Date 11/2005
+5

Green, brown or purple. Mountain water forest. Are there any more land tiles ? Every part of the world looks like every other esp after you've cleared the area of loots and critters

Locked Post 44 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 22, 2012 5:03:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Moar terrain, and well, more inspiring terrain, more tiny details in the terrain and make the map divide the map and put special details on special parts of the map, (like different tree's), Just ideas.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 22, 2012 6:32:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to see more terrain too. Do you have requests I should add to my own?

April 22, 2012 6:46:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
I'd like to see more terrain too. Do you have requests I should add to my own?

A lot of it depends on the way you want to run your games, I think additions like underworld tunnels, are a great addition to a game, but some people do not like playing around in tunnels in a second world map.

I will come back with more responses, am currently about to figure out the whole of my config for another post, then I will make a "bigger" number on giving suggestions, or requests.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 22, 2012 7:03:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Snow, maybe at the extreme north or south on some maps

Desert river, some lush grass and bush growing by rivers in wastelands

April 22, 2012 7:27:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmm

fractured land theme..part of different planes of existence shredding into ours.

Parts of the world that double time or half time(double proction double wages double poison dmg ectect).

Shunken world made of the red fibers of Rick Moranis' carpet and bread crums

Vast ruins that were once great cities. xak tsaroth

Mesas.

Volcanic areas with sulfer lakes. Tundra/ice areas. desert!!!!

Areas where the "ground" is just the back of a giant turtle or tree or the digestive anus of a giant sand worm

Water areas with seamonster, pirates and merfolk that come on land.

April 22, 2012 7:41:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Small lakes in swamps to liven up the swamp from just "weird tree's"

"More rocky  hills, and less smooth hills: more interesting hills would be nice.

"More lively Mountains": Instead of just those round rocks atm.

Make there appear farmed fields around city edges, on green grasslands that simulate people making foods.
Cities located near rivers should make some tiny fishing huts pop forth near the river, just as background mesh.
Hunters lodge's in/near forests located near cities.

Of course as said by "Stupidity10", make snow landscape near the top and bottom edge of the map:

Different kinds of forests: Just to lively up the current forests, which get bothersome in the amounts of the map they cover. Make it so the editor recognizes which forest is which, and then cover that forest with a given tree sort.

More lush grash, meaby 2-3 grass textures, again make them not blend into each other, but vary the texture depending on the climate or zone.

Also if you work on your generator to make sanddunes larger but less of them, make water a littlebit more... opportunistic creating big water walls (the one splitting europe and afrika for example)

Also try making the map generator create more "regions", meaby put some small feature in certain regions (more bears in one region). Unless that is too much of a hazzle ofcourse .

All these should be considered ideas.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 22, 2012 8:00:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also consider adding just a touch of variety to cities--perhaps one more color, so that buildings stand out more from each other. 

April 22, 2012 8:42:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You rock. I'll send this along.

April 22, 2012 9:09:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Very cool thread! I will just throw in support for lakes that aren't just coast, which would look really cool mixed with swamp.

I also really like the idea of arctic land, and rocky cliff hills. To them I will add that forests should partially climb mountains and you could break up the green grass with savannah, which would be more golden or yellow. 

April 22, 2012 9:23:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great thread indeed.

Everyone, please see post more of what you're imagining. If ever there was a case for beta feedback, this is it.

April 22, 2012 9:34:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd like to see some occasional seasonal effects: a lot of tree color in autumn, more vernal coloration in spring.  Winter squalls.

What about adding different types of roofs to the different racial culture buildings?  Minarets for one, shining domes for another.  Trees among the wood buildings of Tarth, including a few tree-housed buildings.  Pariden with lighter, brighter colors, translucent.  Roiling, purple clouds over Resoln.  Fiery furnaces and smoke wafting away from Gilden villages and towns.  Large leather yurts for Yithril.  Black spiraling towers for Kraxis.

April 22, 2012 9:50:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Mountain Rivers!!

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

April 22, 2012 10:01:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great Thread, I strongely support:

Rocky hills: Too much round n brown going on

Lakes that arn't coast: especially in swamps

Forests that partially climb mountains: Helps world feel natural

Desert Rivers: Will reduce the meh of huge brown zones

April 22, 2012 10:10:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If we get arctic then we definitely need icebergs offshore and maybe spells to create them, so water mages have something to use to traverse water. As a sort of water version of raise land.

On that topic the map would be spiced up if all that coastline was broken up by some rocks. Either out in the water or attached directly to the coast to break up the the straight awkward looking cliffs. You could mix some beach in there as well.

As suggested above some sort of ruined cobblestone terrain full of rubble and ruins would really help bring the lore to life. Right now it doesn't really feel like a cataclysm happened. Just small patches of unsettlable ruins that function pretty much like swamps do now.

April 22, 2012 10:23:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh and Canyons are sorta generic and clash with a lot of environments.

They look awseome in some wildlands and decent with fallen fertile ground but in wastelands and human fertile ground they just look odd and help create bad starting locations. I think they would be much better as 1 tile wide and exclusive to certain areas.

April 22, 2012 10:59:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hmm trying to figure this out hold on lol

having trouble linking my images from dropbox, might be the sizing info im missing i'll have to edit them

ok i can get the picture to insert but its a white out box with an x on it, acting as a link to my dropbox page so i dunno sigh will figure it yout later

April 22, 2012 11:05:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The pictures in the thread are nice but it seems like your talking about replacing all of the games landscape graphics.

Perhaps it would be relatively little work to change one or two of the special map areas into plateaus? Instead of so many high mountains surrounding a patch of land.

All of the trees are the same type. Add some pine trees?

April 22, 2012 11:07:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

i would say the  thread is more about ideas for additional material to complement what is already there, not replace it.

April 23, 2012 8:07:36 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah this thread is about adding more interesting terrain and making maps look better. Right now FE random maps look a little artificial, like golf courses. They really don't feel like living worlds to me.

April 23, 2012 8:51:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm going to echo the comments about the blue canyons. They're great in themed zones and in numbers, but just look wrong in general human ground.

The rivers look nice, but like the canyons they contribute to the cluttering of the map and the hemming-in of growing cities. Hopefully this should be less of a problem once city-snaking gets the chop.

It would also be very nice if the game could make clearer - both in 3d and paper map mode - which tiles were walkable and which weren't.

These are my contributions. Behold them, ye mortals, and despair etc etc.

April 23, 2012 10:18:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sethai,
I'm going to echo the comments about the blue canyons. They're great in themed zones and in numbers, but just look wrong in general human ground.

Maybe make them more greyish, or change color in different terrains. I think grey would mix with the different terrain types better.

April 23, 2012 10:34:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lush vibrant green jungles! And orange sand deserts like the sahara (or the desert background found in the E:WoM or FE folder!). River delta's would be cool too. 

April 23, 2012 10:36:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

How about some more mystical stuff?

Shadowlands (like that darkling city, maybe) that return to full black instead of fog of war grey when they are out of sight?

Places where the plane of (fire/water/earth/air/death/life) have ripped into the world.

Volcanos with lava that you take damage from entering.

April 23, 2012 11:14:57 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have some new types of rivers in the Stormworld mod, but I'd love to see them in the main game.

http://stormworld.wikidot.com/rivers

(magma, poisoned, blood, corrupted)

I second the request for parts of the world to exist in an "arctic" environment, although not necessarily around the poles.

I would also like to see a "burning land" environment, which is like the burning lands wildlands, with a volcano, and lots of fiery stuff going on. It would be uninhabitable except for outposts.

April 23, 2012 4:00:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

https://www.dropbox.com/home#!/home/Photos/Elemental%20stuff

Here are some darker forest themse and some mountains, I am having trouble inserting pictures into the forum lol

Oh, and a frog of course.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000266   Page Render Time: