Please bring back marriage and children

By on April 22, 2012 12:09:40 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

telgar

Join Date 12/2010
+1

I think the most unique feature that the original Elemental had was the ability to marry one of your hero's of the opposite sex to your Sovereign and then have children with them. Please bring it back

Locked Post 55 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 22, 2012 11:47:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unique and unique...
I don't mind it, but being a fan of some of the Total War series I have seen it before, and do not need to see too much focus on this part.

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 8, 2012 12:15:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked it to, but the kids were a bit much, & did not fit into the timeline of the game, I would be happy if the Sovereign could marry & just leave it at that.

May 8, 2012 1:31:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I miss dynasties too from WoM. It was one of the few unique things they had right in that game. Not to say it could use a little tweaking, but it definitely helped make you care more about your realm/kingdom/whatever.

May 8, 2012 1:58:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I kinda miss dynasties too, sometimes it's fun to plan out your offspring... and see them become complete monsters (or completely useless), but the whole system in EWOM was pretty buggy as a whole, so I didn't mind too much when they disabled it. If I recall correctly it is just hidden, and can be reactivated... perhaps in a mod? Though, I have no idea if it's actually feasible anymore with all the changes.

May 8, 2012 2:22:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why does it have to be opposite sex

I think marriage could be a cool mechanic... maybe just to give a special trait when they fight together (+10% attack & defense)

As for children and dynasty... I think its pretty cool if it kicks in mid game since the champions would start at level 1 they wouldn't be too unbalanced against existing heroes. 

May 8, 2012 2:27:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Wow, that would be awesome.  I hope they do add something like this.

May 8, 2012 3:18:16 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not missing dynasties at all. Was a distraction to the main game I felt. I like the current mechanic of recruiting different skilled heroes.

May 8, 2012 3:25:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also, I'd want the ability to divorce if a more powerful potential wife came along or you needed to marry to fulfill some dimplomatic arrangement. This would require mechanics supporting alimony and child support. Or perhaps you could simply have the ability to convert to a religion that accomodates polygamy. Adoption should also be an option for same-sex marriages, as well as offspring with a high number of negative traits as a result of inbreeding.

I guess there are a lot of things to consider, programming-wise, to get marriges back into the game.

May 8, 2012 4:05:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I really enjoyed the dynasty aspect of WoM. Being able to use your offspring in arranged marriages was cool in diplomacy.

May 8, 2012 5:56:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I see marriages as a nice addition to external relations. A way to create alliances or truces between wars: instead of paying 400 gildar, marry me or give me that male/female champion that you have so I can marry him/her.

Dinasties could be hard in terms of design: they lessen sovereigns importance, you need to consider all the possible "breeds" (stats and trait-wise, lore-wise, technical and graphical-wise), well that or have the option to "edit" the new sovereign-child.

It sure adds a feeling of getting close to your sovereigns and champions though .

May 18, 2012 2:28:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I liked the dynastic ideas.  Societies often (almost always?) used marriage to cement alliances, etc.  Many times a child was held in another court as a 'hostage - guest.'   Its a fantasy game, so I have no problem if the 'time frames' of children growing up is telescoped to be 'faster' than other game elements. (see note below)  Empires, kingdoms, etc., are not politically monoliths, they have internal  'factions'. And factions are often built around guilds and other (extended) family connections. Its about fun choices, and having access to a variety of tools , and a variety of different aspects that need to be coordinated, that makes a truly great game.

If SD doesn't put marriage, concubinage, children, etc., back in, I hope that at least, make the game code accessible to mod-ders so such a thing can be implemented as a mod.  

NOTE about 'telescoping' features / time frames:  Sid Meyers railroad game used very disparate time frames on elements to create a satisfying whole.   The trains would run over a 24 hour period.  Then the income and expenses of that one, 24 hour period would be used to generate the ANNUAL ledgers for the company, profit, loss, revenue, yada, yada.  The fact that one aspect of the game (tactical, if you will) was way out of balance - time frame wise - with playing other parts of the game, actually was an ingenious way to meld two seemingly disparate parts of the game playing experience.  Why not here in FE?

May 18, 2012 2:52:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

marriage and children was a nice touch with little purpose, as it was it had next to no interest to me

if they put it back they should add more consequences - like a rebel child who decides to join the opposing faction because you did not give him enough pocket money and takes with him a whole city - if you attack and win him you lose credit with some of your other children or even your wife (perk "Strict Father" all children have -10% initiative), and why not same sex marriages in a medieval setting ? and adopted children ? we need a new name : Elemental Fallen Enchantress The Sims

May 18, 2012 4:16:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away...

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

May 18, 2012 4:51:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You are wise Master Kongdej

June 11, 2012 12:31:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Kongdej and Trojasmic,

Give me all your money and start mailing your paychecks to me.  If you don't have any, just give me your computers and clothes.  I'll help you achieve perfection!

Sincerely,

Hilltrot

June 11, 2012 3:27:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hilltrot,
Kongdej and Trojasmic,

Give me all your money and start mailing your paychecks to me.  If you don't have any, just give me your computers and clothes.  I'll help you achieve perfection!

Sincerely,

Hilltrot

I'm sorry, thi k I would be fined if I had no clothes left to use on the streets, people are touchy about that stuff

I am not stating the dynasty system should be left out of the game, but that there should be a point in bringing it into the game. The dynasty system could probably be really really cool, but it should be majorly integrated in the game, not thrown in on a last second notice or thrown in then ignored. That is what I am trying to go at, I would rather they have 3 completely awesome features than 10 half-arsed features

Sincerely
~ Kongdej

June 11, 2012 3:33:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with Kongdej. 

I also would like to see the kids inherit their parents' abilities, and take at least 48 turns (12 years) to start adventuring.  To make up for the maturing period, the kids should be pretty damn tough.  A powerful father and mother should be able to teach their kid a solid subset of their abilities.

June 11, 2012 4:41:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think dynasties are needed. After all....you're goal is to be the LAST magic user on Elemental. No sense in creating more...

June 11, 2012 5:00:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I so did like the conecpt of Dynasties. I was rather meh about the implementation in WoM. This possiblefeature has a huge potential for a solid diplomacy-system if done in a solid fashion. Hope it gets looked at (marriage, children as well as the diplomatic ramifications) should diplomacy get its own focus in the beta. Otherwise it whould make splendid material for a content DLC (a strong focus expending on the diplomatic side of the game might even be enough for its own mini-expansion size DLC). But it has to be a meaningful addition to gameplay. Otherwise look at Kongdej’s remarks about design (as painful as cutting things sometimes is)

June 11, 2012 5:13:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do not think the dynasty system needs to come back, but I do think the marriage and children aspect did add depth to the characters which was a lot of fun.  The children were fun, and they were really the only champions I "worried" about at all.  The number of champions in the game, and the fact all of them are magic users have diluted their importance.

Quoting GFireflyE,

I don't think dynasties are needed. After all....you're goal is to be the LAST magic user on Elemental. No sense in creating more... 
  This was the original concept of the game which has been altered.  Every champion in the game now is a magic user.  Again, I still think this change was a mistake, but it is the direction the game seems to be going.  There are so many Champions though they seem ubiquitous.  The fact they are almost all magic users is taking from the importance of the sovereign.

June 11, 2012 6:49:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting KingHobbit,

Every champion in the game now is a magic user.  Again, I still think this change was a mistake, but it is the direction the game seems to be going.  There are so many Champions though they seem ubiquitous.  The fact they are almost all magic users is taking from the importance of the sovereign.

I blame that fallen enchantress wench for all the casual magic!  It's utterly shocking and ruining the morals of today's children.  Heh, I made an offshoot of Ironeers dedicated to stamping out magic--they didn't last very long.

June 12, 2012 1:55:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@Gorde

Well then I don't like her. I loved the original concept of imbuing a champion if you wanted them to be able to access magic. Now that practically are champions can it seems less important. On top of it, by the end of the game you have dozens of champions. If you had to make a choice of which champion to imbue, I think it would be much more fun, and more important. The way it stnads now, I think magic is a bit watered down.

June 12, 2012 7:04:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Remember it's easy to turn dynasties back on in FE... maybe one of the smart guys can remind us how to do that.

June 13, 2012 1:56:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well that isn't me.  I am lucky to turn my computer on.

June 13, 2012 5:16:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is a planned $4.99 DLC in the future. It will be a bit different and have more depth than WoM. Hush hush though, I'm not suppose to tell anyone.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000609   Page Render Time: