Hot Seat

By on April 21, 2012 11:42:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

telgar

Join Date 12/2010
+1

Is there any word on whether FE will have a hot seat option for MP?

Locked Post 22 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
November 6, 2012 4:50:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

it doesnt have it, but I wish.

as well as true MP...

November 6, 2012 5:09:00 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

seconded, hot seat wouldn't be too difficult to implement I hope and we'll have at least a placeholder for multiplayer

November 6, 2012 8:07:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, an hotseat option will be great

November 6, 2012 8:17:29 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd love to see play by email implemented. 

November 10, 2012 11:29:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Any news on this? Please tell us if there will be a hotseat update or not as i'm going to buy the game if Hotseat will be implemented.

Thanks

November 10, 2012 10:35:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting charon2112,
I'd love to see play by email implemented. 

omg, haha

does anyone actualyl still play strategy games like that? the thought seems abhorrently slow. imo it would be a complete waste of effort these days

on topic: hotseat would definitely be ideal. Although i suspect it may be harder than you'd think, it probably requires a codebase that's halfway to full multiplayer already

November 10, 2012 11:13:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NanakoAC,

Quoting charon2112, reply 5I'd love to see play by email implemented. 

omg, haha

does anyone actualyl still play strategy games like that? the thought seems abhorrently slow. imo it would be a complete waste of effort these days

on topic: hotseat would definitely be ideal. Although i suspect it may be harder than you'd think, it probably requires a codebase that's halfway to full multiplayer already

I am fairly certain there is a large amount of people who play the Civ games like that. 

November 10, 2012 11:19:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NanakoAC,

omg, haha

That's the point.  A game like FE or any TBS should be played slow.

December 24, 2012 1:12:27 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Considering the problems the devs mentioned about tactical battles having to be changed if they wanted to implement online multiplayer, it would seem hotseat wouldn't have the same problems. As the entire game is being played on one computer you don't need to worry about synchronicity with other players or a lot of the other worries about online play.

Really looking forward to seeing if they'll put it in !

February 6, 2013 11:41:48 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NanakoAC,

omg, haha

Of course there is many people playing by email, if you just do any research you wouldn't be so ignorant, just go check any turn based game forum.....

February 7, 2013 6:20:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NanakoAC,

Yes.  It allows for asynchronous play with other people anywhere in the world.  If we were playing by email, I could take my turn while you're asleep or at work or whatever because, unlike hotseat or networked multiplayer, it doesn't require all players to be available at the same time.  And if only playing one turn per day doesn't give you enough of the game, then that's no problem - you can easily have several play-by-email games in progress at the same time, either with the same opponent or different ones.

Asynchronous play really is the best way to go for turn-based games of any significant complexity (say, anything where it's common for a player to spend more than a few minutes on a turn) because it avoids making players wait for their opponents' turns to be completed.  Even if all players take their turns simultaneously, there's still generally a lot of variation in how long players take to complete their turns, which means lots of waiting for the players who finish faster.

February 7, 2013 7:18:54 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

PBEM would be great to have.

February 7, 2013 10:37:22 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

hotseat please,

or at leasty Froggy, tell us why not?

my kids wife and me would love hotseat!

February 10, 2013 7:41:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Add my name to the list of PBEM. I would LOVE this feature.

February 11, 2013 10:29:31 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Could we at least get a clarification on whether hot-seat will be implemented or not? Because i will buy the expansion-pack if it will have hot-seat in future.

Hope you understand

February 11, 2013 10:43:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting NanakoAC,

omg, haha

Quite of few people play Dominions 3 by email.  But it takes 3 months of play often for a game by email that would normally take just a few hours otherwise.  

February 11, 2013 1:00:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

AoW3 will apparently have hotseat and PBEM, too just like the previous AoW games.  Check out the Play by Email section of the Age of Wonders Heaven Forum, it is one of the one up-to-date sections of the whole forum, despite the previous game Age of Wonders: Shadow Magic being 10 years old by now!

February 16, 2013 7:31:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Even if you say "No, we will not add Hot-seat", i will still be happier than my current condition. This uncertanity is so terrible.

Please, an official answer please...

February 16, 2013 9:40:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Sentinemodo,
seconded, hot seat wouldn't be too difficult to implement I hope and we'll have at least a placeholder for multiplayer

I love these ^ posts when one has "no clue" how difficult anything would be to implement in a particular game. lol

Yes Froggy this is easy and that is easy I know because I know nothing about how you program games I just know if I can THINK it in 2 seconds you should be able to program it in less.

February 17, 2013 6:02:45 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

please tell us why not if not? or what do we have to do to get it?

June 13, 2014 3:23:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Why would hot seat be difficult?

I'd think each side would be it's own independent thing.

[programing nerd speak]I suppose if you coded everything from the start with the idea "MP bad!!!", but I'd think you could just wrap each side up in it's own base object class. Then either make a derived object turn control over to the PC or AI as needed, or make have control be the control methods be function (pointer) that accepts and handles controlling the base object.

It's certainly make implementing different AIs easier as the only difference would be how the base object was accessed.[/programming nerd speak]

Modular design and programming encapsulation should eat issues like that for lunch.

June 14, 2014 12:42:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't think AI and human player are Liskov - substitutable

There can be a lot work needed to add more players. Now there is no notion of a winner, for exapmle. There is only one subject to diplomacy for the AI. Now everybody moves simultaniosly except the player and so on.

Each issue does not seem particulary hard, but there are lots of them. 

And from my point of view, the game is too long with each round makes very little difference, to this game to be multiplayer - worthy.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000344   Page Render Time: