Demonstrated racial bias by Stardock.

By on April 14, 2012 12:22:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Elrhamlin

Join Date 03/2011
+1

When creating a custom sovereign, the player is given a choice of skin color.  No such option exists for any other unit.  All other units, without exception, are Caucasian.

Locked Post 70 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
April 14, 2012 12:33:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Would be nice to be able to make a human nation of something other than white people.  

April 14, 2012 12:37:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Seriously!? How pedantic and nitpickity can you be? I hadn't even noticed that you can only choose white skin colour for the troops, thats how minor it seems. Your accusation that Stardock is racially biased is ridiculous, if you want to edit skin colours for troops why didnt you just put in a request for that feature, I'm sure they would do it as it seems easy to implement. Instead you jump to calling them a bunch of racists; a total overreaction if you ask me - I'm guessing you have  a pretty big chip on your shoulder to be incensed by something so petty.

April 14, 2012 12:47:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Demonstrated racial bias by Stardock.

I highly suggest you actually try to make even the tiniest bit of effort to familiarize yourself with the lore or even the game period before you throw around accusations like this. You need to grow up. This is a fictional world created by Stardock, it contains red people, purple people, and blue people. They can frankly include or not include any skin color they want and it has no relevance to any bizarre little real life political power trip your currently on about. There are no Caucasians in Elemental because that would imply they are from Earth and their not.

When creating a custom sovereign, the player is given a choice of skin color. No such option exists for any other unit. All other units, without exception, are Caucasian.

Skin color for troops is set by your race whether it's green or yellow or whatever. Feel free to mod in a race with whatever skin color you desire. I frankly think it's totally unnecessary to have the option to create troops with all the colors of the rainbow. Why even have races then?

April 14, 2012 1:13:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Your nitpicking and missing the real issue!

The real problem is the negative racial streotyping of dinosuar people.

Stardock would have us believe that all dinosaur people in FE are slave owners!

Not true!  Some imaginary dinosaur people are quite nice and strongly believe in individual human/dinosaur people rights and freedoms!

Quoting DsRaider,
Skin color for troops is set by your race whether it's green or yellow or whatever. Feel free to mod in a race with whatever skin color you desire. I frankly think it's totally unnecessary to have the option to create troops with all the colors of the rainbow. Why even have races then?

Also this

April 14, 2012 1:23:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I agree with most that the racial charge is absurd. However, I do think that this is a potential opportunity, one thing Stardock could do to spice up the Kingdom sides a little bit. (Bringing it back to faction differentiation. Ha ha.) As it stands, Altar, Capitar, Gilden, Pariden, and Tarth all look like they've come from the same place. But why should they all be white? If, say, the Gilden race were brown/black, and Pariden had a somewhat asian/south american look, and etc., it would help them stand out against the other kingdoms.

April 14, 2012 1:46:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is a clear case of racism agains Umber. This is proven by the fact that we have to pay extra to recruit heroes. This should never have passed quality control /sarcasm

April 14, 2012 1:52:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There is a demonstrated lack of intelligence in this thread.

April 14, 2012 2:16:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There should be a brown faction in the expansion.An evil faction from the east like in LOTR.

April 14, 2012 2:21:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Ashbery76,
There should be a brown faction in the expansion.An evil faction from the east like in LOTR.

Kraxis? Which has always seemed more middle eastern then European to me.

April 14, 2012 2:42:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Finally irrelevant politics has shown up in FE. I have been wanting to talk about the Trog stand-your-ground law for awhile. 

April 14, 2012 3:36:08 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Gilden should be brown and Pariden should be round faced n yellow.

Maybe tarth can be reddish.

April 14, 2012 3:47:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Assigning color to race would be racial biasing wouldn't it? Blending all to one would then remove racial biasing in a game. Get over it already everyone. Stop drama-frying the issue of racial biasing. That fuels it.

April 14, 2012 3:57:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Drama-frying? Looks like we need some cooking oil

April 14, 2012 3:59:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On a more serious note, assuming each kingdom race gets a skin color, then I think the Altar should be a blend of all.

Example

Gilden -> african

Pariden -> asian

Capitar -> Northern European

Kraxis -> Southern European/ Mediteranean

Tarth -> Native American and South American

Altar -> All of the above

April 14, 2012 4:01:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unless of course, races other than northern Caucasian are introduced in expansions via "Other Continents"

April 14, 2012 4:43:03 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

People people you are overlooking stardock's sexism against women as well! None of them women in this game wear revealing outfits and further more they cannot be topless, clear stardock favors men over women!   We can also conclude that the employees at stardock also dislike flat chested women and women with breasts over a C cup.

April 14, 2012 4:43:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Brad, Derek and other Stardockians please don't compromise your creative vision to satisfy the whims of the PC brigade - that's going to be a losing game because those people are never satisfied - even if you did introduce different ethnicities they'd start whining and moaning about racial stereotyping and the fact that you havent included other random groups such as one legged pygmies and ginger people.

I suggest you just give them editing options and ignore them after that.

edit: I almost think elrhemlin is trolling

April 14, 2012 4:45:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@DGB246 With the exception of the OP most if not all the people in here are deliberatly trolling the OP, myself included.

April 14, 2012 4:47:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

@ Polistes

I realise that but I worry that Brad and co will take it seriously

April 14, 2012 4:48:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Considering both Brad and other stardock employees can also troll when they want to I doubt it.

April 14, 2012 4:51:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

When I said seriously, I meant that they might introduce different ethnicities to appear more PC

April 14, 2012 5:09:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'd rather a game have one skin color, than have people defining real world civilizations with fictional in-game traits.

If you haven't noticed, the social sensitivity of racial bias has been kicked up a few notches of late. It is a subject that is getting mass air time and riling the radicals up. Who in turn rile the moderates. Stupid shit occurs. This issue gets periodically inflamed. Society ain't healing cuz people keep picking at the wounds. Be wise, don't perpetuate the cycle.

April 14, 2012 5:12:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Also none of the characters are gay, transsexual, robots, handicapped, or from a religious minority. In fact since this a fantasy universe Stardock has a Duty to invent whole new ways to not discriminate against fictional people based on random physical or mental characteristics. I'm going to throw people with shoe sizes under 9 out there.

In all seriousness Stardock should stick to their guns and just go with whatever the lore says. Racial characteristics should make sense in regards to the world's history and not be thrown out their for a token effect, that just cheapens the game.

April 14, 2012 5:18:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Aye, religions should be introduced into the game so that minority religions can be presented in a PC manor.

April 14, 2012 5:24:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I won't forget this, DsRaider! I WON'T FORGET THIS!!!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000219   Page Render Time: