I need a good hiding place…

By on March 19, 2012 8:08:00 PM from JoeUser Forums JoeUser Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1484

You want the good news or the bad news?

Oh, you want the good news right? Of course. You want that? You want that first anyway? I’m not brave enough to do it the other way.

Well, the good news is that next week, I’ll be traveling to California to visit with the gaming media to talk about Elemental: Fallen Enchantress and Sins of a Solar Empire: Rebellion.  So hopefully we’ll be able to get some coverage and I won’t lie to you, WE WILL NEED YOUR HELP.

I say that because if you’re reading this, you are familiar with the whole Internet thing.  Here’s how it goes:

Website X will write a preview of Fallen Enchantress.

FallenEnchantress_1331650367First comment will be “Elemental sucked, they should give up on it! I doubt this is going to make any difference”

Hopefully, you, reading this, have played the beta and hopefully you agree that, Fallen Enchantress is turning out to be very very good, especially when you consider our current estimated target release date is this Fall (think of where War of Magic was at this stage).  So we’re going to need all the help we can get to get the word out that Fallen Enchantress is turning out really well.

Because without positive confirmation from actual people playing the beta, it is, as GamersWithJobs’s podcast recently put it, “doomed”.

Now, the bad news…

There won’t be a beta update this week. The team is trying to get the build ready for Beta 3 which is what I’ll be showing next week.  When I get back, we’ll be putting it together for you guys. It’ll have the dramatically changed Quendar and Gilden factions. We think you’re really going to like what we’re doing with faction differentiation and can’t wait to get your feedback.

Locked Post 177 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 19, 2012 8:16:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Would it help if we tweet about #FallenEnchantress?

March 19, 2012 8:21:38 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I honestly have no idea if its gonna be good

Maybe if we could get a "best of" changelog?

March 19, 2012 8:23:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Bad news no beta this week.  Hmm, should I start a whole new playthrough of ME/ME2/ME3?  That should give Bioware time to fix the ending.

March 19, 2012 8:26:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy - I think almost everyone playing the Beta agrees FE has already surpassed E:WOM in every category.  Are there websites that those of us who don't post outside your forum can help with?

Bad News is sad because we really want to see what's next, but we'll be here when you're ready for our input.

March 19, 2012 8:32:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

We should start a link list of websites that put up an article. At the very least I will put up some more videos of .86 and link them to the comments sections.

March 19, 2012 8:37:57 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is Relias "dominating monsters" on the map?

March 19, 2012 9:02:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll be glad to help. I think the game is really coming along.

March 19, 2012 9:16:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Publius of NV,
Would it help if we tweet about #FallenEnchantress?

I'd say it's still too early.  At some point, hopefully by Summer, the game will have reached a level where it is indisputable excellent. And then we'll spend another few months making it even better.

In the near term, it'll just be a matter of those who never played WOM but still feel the need to comment on articles anyway, not being able to dominate the conversation on what Fallen Enchantress is like.

The reason we're putting so much time into FE is because we know that Fallen Enchantress has to be really really good in order to overcome what they call in marketing "the narrative".

There's still many months between now and release. And we're getting amazingly high quality feedback on FE that Derek has been able to use to extend and enhance different parts of the design or tweak assets and features that were just starting development. I wish I could say more but you'll see what we mean soon.

March 19, 2012 9:22:21 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Where in california are you going to be? If its in the bay area, maybe I can buy you a beer or something  

March 19, 2012 9:34:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,
Where in california are you going to be? If its in the bay area, maybe I can buy you a beer or something  

San Fran and LA.  Oh, it would be awesome to get together sometime. Unfortunately, my "handlers" have me booked every minute of every day. 

March 19, 2012 9:44:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
I’ll be traveling to California to visit with the gaming media to talk about Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
I won't be there. Can you please tell them for me..

White Elk likes E:FE very much!! The beta progresses swiftly. He has played enough hours of it, that he could have played a game of Fallout to completion and begun another. He enjoys the game, and foresees doing so for 

March 19, 2012 9:58:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy, it would be my pleasure to do whatever it takes to help FE !

I perfectly know what you means with critics, I'm Belgian and me, other belgian poeple, Switzerland, France and Quebec mostly go on one site : jeuxvideo.com sadly, the bad news, those testers are really bad and crappy, though millions follow it ! The testers are really critical and quickly throw bad notes to cool games and 18/20 for call of duty... Blah ! They killed the community of so many good games "thanks" to their horrible reviews !

No need to say that WOM was thrashed ! Some players, like myself, try oftenly to save a game but stupid poeple oftenly have reasons of us

I read them for their news but I hate their test ! They too oftenly put a 9/20 for good graphics and 12/20 for playability ! They kill the game because they never try it totally and magically skip lots of functionalities they also as you stated, kill a game because of its predecessor IE : WOM.

I wish you won't meet those guys

FE deserve a lot even if I complain a lot about it, I love it ! I just hope critics will see what FE is worth ! A very good game which this time, deserve to be called a dign successor to MOM even if a lot of work is still required And that the future (after release) brings addons that will fill any lack ! I wouldn't mind a couple DLC too.

You know what I hate the most in critics ? It's that they stop in time, one review, one bad note and there's never any change no matter how hard the company tries by correcting with patches !!!! IE: Magicka, a weak 14/20 when the game evolved like crazy and is plenty of fun right now with all it's content ! The devs made a fantastic job to improve everything butbrew comers still act the same because of jeuxvideo.com ! Same with the test of other website !

Well, I wish you all the best and let us know what we can do  

March 19, 2012 10:06:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Out of curiosity, how does it go the other way around?   Say, if fans are in Detroit and want to drop in to SD?   Is there a "the tour"?  Blizzard's studios were awesome, but they wouldn't let in just anybody.
March 19, 2012 10:12:31 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Honestly, I was burned too hard on E:WoM and I haven't seen enough of FE to hype it at all. There haven't even a half dozen "beta releases" so far.  I  haven't seen enough patches to judge a solid design concept, or to judge a commitment to squashing bugs, or to judge a commitment to improving the game based on player feedback.

The good news is that the opposite is also true.

March 19, 2012 10:17:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I've gotten a tour of Blizz studios during my extremely brief stint as a member of the press. It was indeed awesome. Certainly at the very least when FE launches Stardock should have an open house or something at meet with some of the fans. If they aren't too busy with patches that is...

March 19, 2012 10:26:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It is autumn now!!

March 19, 2012 11:25:23 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,
I’ll be traveling to California to visit with the gaming media to talk about Elemental: Fallen Enchantress
I can't be there. Would you please tell them.. 

White Elk likes E:FE very much!! The Beta is enjoyable. It's progressing nicely.

He's played enough of it, to have played out a good RPG.  He's still playing.

He paused a game to write this post.

Foresees enjoying the game for quite some time. And looks forward to the total conversion mods.

Like a Civilization 4 meets Age of Wonders. Deep empire management, with battles played out tactically on a separate map. Magic is modded to be Missile and Air Strikes, RADAR and Helo Missions. Mana becomes Supply. Where Combined Arms isn't a tech, its how you've composed your armies. Then you duke it out like battle chess. Infantry, Machine Gunners, RPG, APC, Tanks, Artillery, Mortar.. 

And a high sci-fi mod. And a Fallout mod. And SMAC. And LOTR. And More.

Ahh, just tell em Mickey likes it.

March 19, 2012 11:35:54 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting WhiteElk,
Ahh, just tell em Mickey likes it.

Nice!

March 19, 2012 11:46:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The screenshot looks like there is a battle going on in the strategic map ... hmm .... maybe its just my imagination.

Maybe its just to test all possible angles of the game

March 20, 2012 12:06:50 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hm. We should say that Fallen Enchantress is good. Is it good? It's certainly getting there. But it's not yet in the state where I start ejaculating bars of gold as soon as I boot it up. It's better than some folks will assume, I'm sure, and I'll correct misapprehension when the story drops and you link the article at us.

March 20, 2012 12:28:30 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting UmbralAngel,
I've gotten a tour of Blizz studios during my extremely brief stint as a member of the press. It was indeed awesome. Certainly at the very least when FE launches Stardock should have an open house or something at meet with some of the fans. If they aren't too busy with patches that is...

I live 30 minutes away and would love to visit there for an event of some kind.

March 20, 2012 12:37:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Hmmm, i think it is too early to show FE to the press, because many features are missing (complete faction differentiation, useful diplomacy, good AI) or need to be balanced (initiative, dodge, many spells, many talents). If you want a preview with depth that says more than "FE looks interesting" i would wait until you have completed and tested beta 3, because it sounds like you are releasing beta 3 too fast.

March 20, 2012 12:38:38 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
ejaculating bars of gold

March 20, 2012 1:47:55 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

My head is spinning.      Really.  Because...

The bad news is the good news.  Give us a beta when it/you are good and ready.  Okay, I'm a little sad to wait another week to play a new iteration - but I'm very happy also because I assume that means it really is going to be new and worth playing/beta-testing.  Last thing I want is some buggy piece of crap.

But the good news is the bad news.  What have you got to take to the media?  This game looks like it has promise... yeah, so?  WoM also had 'promise' it just never fulfilled it.  I'm not sure where the disconnect with reality is but I do know there is a big one here.

I can only guess you are living by the 'any publicity is good publicity' motto.  Be careful you don't die by it.  Say as little as possible, drop a few enigmatic, tantalising morsels and then coyly evade any questions.  Trying to 'sell' it at the moment is a recipe for disaster.  Make a good game and it will sell.

March 20, 2012 2:03:18 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Cruxador,
But it's not yet in the state where I start ejaculating bars of gold as soon as I boot it up

I hope you have a good urologist.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000375   Page Render Time: