Who's still running Windows XP?

By on March 18, 2012 1:05:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Frogboy

Join Date 03/2001
+1491

As some of you may know, 32-bit Windows XP users only see 2GB of memory no matter how much memory they have installed.

Windows 7 users see 3GB of memory IF they're running a 32-bit version and 4GB if they're running 64-bit -- as far as Fallen Enchantress is concerned (native 64-bit programs can see effectively unlimited amounts of memory).

The #1 thing holding us back on having "more" stuff is memory.  We've been optimizing memory a lot in the past month so that we can stuff more but it sure would be nice to have even another 500 megs to play with.

If you are using Windows XP, I would really recommend upgrading to Windows 7 soon.  FE will probably be the last game we make that supports XP.

Locked Post 96 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 18, 2012 1:31:44 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Is Vista in the same boat as XP?

March 18, 2012 1:43:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah, I'm using XP. WOooOoo!!

I'm waiting to upgrade until I can build a new comp. Until then, it's top-of-the-line 5 year old hardware

March 18, 2012 1:58:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I have Windows XP installed and I have 3.4GB of physical memory recognized of the total 4GB installed because I have the large address memory configuration flag set in the OS.

Why are you asking if they have XP installed vs, Win7 when that really has nothing to do with it? I think you are probably confusing some people.

Win7 32-bit also only uses 2GB of memory just as XP 32-bit does. All 32-bit versions of Windows have that 2GB address space limitaion. So, migrating to Win7 will not help unless they migrate to Win7 64-bit and not Win7 32-bit. Technically speaking, Win XP 64-bit can also use more than 2GB of memory.

What you should be asking is for people to start using 64-bit Windows instead of 32-bit Windows. That said, it's not such a simple thing to ask and I'm surprised you'd do it. Most of the systems still using XP are old systems with less powerful processors with lesser amounts of memory to start with. First, at a minimum, you'd need to buy some more memory and you'd need to purchase a copy of Win7 64. Probably a few hundred dollers right there. Combine that with the fact that there's no way to upgrade XP to Win7 without installing completely from scratch (no upgrade install) and you have the reason most folks still haven't upgraded.

Due to the above issues, most folks just wait until they get a new PC to upgrade from XP to Win7, and rightly so. When they do get a new PC, they should make sure they get the 64 bit version of Windows 7, not the 32 bit version. I'm getting a new PC as soon as the Intel Ivy Bridge chips are out this spring and Win 7 64-bit is the version of the OS I'm getting for it. I'm sure many others will do the same as they are able to upgrade their PCs. It's just going to take some time. And you'll still have all those folks out there using Win7 32-bit. There's a lot of them.

March 18, 2012 2:06:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Still using XP. I know how to handle it, its runs perfectly and i can play every game i want. No probs with new games like Skyrim, Deus Ex, SW: TOR , Crusader Kings II, Witcher II and also the FE Beta so far (for example). Its not that i´m a XP fanboy, but until now there simply was no reason to change.

EDIT/

And i checked my RAM. XP recognized 3,25 GB. Now I don´t understand the problem. -.-

March 18, 2012 2:07:58 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Windows 7 only moved above Windows XP in usage in the last 6 months. XP is still used by about of third of computer users.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201102-201202

March 18, 2012 2:09:45 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Our desktop uses Vista 32-bit.  When I built it, 64 bit OS was fairly new and I was afraid to upgrade to that as all I figured it would have problems for awhile.  I have an old laptop with XP that I use mostly for internet stuff.

March 18, 2012 2:41:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

The #1 thing holding us back on having "more" stuff is memory.  We've been optimizing memory a lot in the past month so that we can stuff more but it sure would be nice to have even another 500 megs to play with.

The #1 thing holding us back on having "more" stuff is money.  We've been optimizing money a lot in the past month so that we can stuff more but it sure would be nice to have even another 500 bucks to play with.

[/bad humour off]

Since you raised the topic Brad, what would be the 'ideal' system to play FE on?

I have been optimising, optimising, optimising,... so I guess I want to know how to make all that optimising optimal.

March 18, 2012 3:00:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Win 7 here. Would love to play it on Linux though.

March 18, 2012 5:45:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

XP 32-bit here.  Probably a new Win-7 64-bit rig this summer.

FE will probably be the last game we make that supports XP.

Not trying to be too sarcastic here, but if Win-8 is a dire as some of what I hear, maybe you need to start supporting iOS and Chrome.  When's the last game you will make that supports Windows ?   Oh, wait -- I am being too sarcastic.  

March 18, 2012 6:16:11 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nothing wrong with dumping XP. Win7 is vastly superior, and absolutely nobody should even consider buying the 32-bit version of Win7. The computer vendors haven't even offered the 32-bit version for almost a year now. The 64-bit version is simply the way to go.

I'm a Computer Consultant and I tell my clients that I'm happy to reinstall their 32-bit O/S on their old computer, but if they're buying a completely new system, it's 64-bit only.

As for the stats that Das123 posted, you need to filter out the non-gamers to get results that are relevant to Frogboy's question. Counting computer-phobes who only use their computer to send e-mail isn't relevant.

March 18, 2012 6:55:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yep- XP on my computer as well as my wife and son's.

March 18, 2012 7:25:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Vista 64 here. Microsoft and/or PC vendors should have gone 64-bit only with Windows 7. Yes it sucks that I can't run 16-bit applications, but life goes on.

March 18, 2012 7:43:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm not sure as my knowledge of Windows internals gets rusty (a good thing to me) but it's not about how much memory the operating system but how much it lets applications handle, which is different. I'm not 100% sure on the limits for XP vs. Win7 though. (for Coldsteel (in leetspeak))

March 18, 2012 7:57:13 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Das123,
Windows 7 only moved above Windows XP in usage in the last 6 months. XP is still used by about of third of computer users.

http://gs.statcounter.com/#os-ww-monthly-201102-201202

Take a look at those slopes though. If the trends continue, and there's no reason to assume they won't, then by the next time Stardock has a game release out we can expect that less than 10% of the market will still use XP.

For perspective on timescale, it's been nearly two years since War of Magic was released, and Fallen Enchantress looks like it still has a good bit of work left to be done before release.

March 18, 2012 8:06:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums
I've got Win7 64-bit, so if you want to stop supporting XP, fine by me! Although I can understand why some people might be hesitant to upgrade. XP is a nice, stable, robust OS. It's aged well. But cutting edge modern games should not be held back by the limitations of an old OS.
March 19, 2012 6:47:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

There are reasons not to upgrade.  Windows 7 doesn't "play nice" with some older apps or older hardware. 

But to answer Brad's question, I'm on Win7 32.

Question on Win7 64, doesn't the CPU need to support 64 bit in order to install that Win7 64?  The memory addressing problem has to do with the size of the registers and 32 bit registers can address 2GB of memory,

March 19, 2012 11:11:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Lets clear something up. It doesn't matter if your running Win 7 or win Xp.. if your running 32 bit your User Mode addressable space for each 32 process is 2 GB.(without the 3GB switch of course)
So regardless of your OS if you stop supporting 32 bit its going to affect anyone with a 32 bit OS.. not just XP users.

Now..If your going to stop supporting direct X 9 then yes.. only windows XP and previous would be out.. but that would do nothing for memory gains.

Something of interest on this particular subject.. while the amount of XP users is decreasing.. there are still a significant amount of users who use 32 bit vista or windows 7.(based on Steams user surveys which most people like to use) Which puts 64 bit systems at just over 50% of steam users.

You can put whatever system requirements you want on your products.. its not going to prod me into spending 200$ on an OS i don't need either way. Just like if you decided to up the graphical usage and required a mid to high level graphics card that cost 200+. I'm not going to dish out 200$ + the cost of a game just to play one game.

No offense to stardock.. but If I didn't do it for BF3 I certainly ain't gonna for any of your releases.

Its not your fault Microsoft didn't put anything into windows 7 above XP that makes it worth dishing out 200$+ imo. But given MS usually goes with a short cycle between releases maybe windows 9 will be worth it.

Oh and to answer the question (again since this isn't the first dev thread of this type) I'm running XP.

March 19, 2012 11:25:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

No reason at all to not use Win 7 64bit now, unless you have some piece of expensive equipment that simply won't work with Win 7 64 bit.     I have 3 computers at home and only 1 of them is vista 32 bit, the other 2 are Win 7 64.  

So I say bring on the 64bit requirements, bring on the mulit-core requirements and the modern OS requirements.

March 19, 2012 1:33:13 PM from Stardock Forums Stardock Forums

Two comps at home, one XP and one Win7 64bit.  Installed the beta on both.  FE runs very poorly on my XP machine.  So I play it on the Win7 machine, it does really well on that machine.  You can't even buy a machine today with XP loaded on it.  Furthermore Windows XP Media Center Edition (which I have) along with other versions are in extended support as of April 14, 2009.  April 08, 2014 is the date for XP to come out of extended support.  I would develop with Win7 in mind, make it a requirement, or just say windows XP is supported, just NOT recommended.

March 19, 2012 4:20:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[/quote] 

The #1 thing holding us back on having "more" stuff is money.  We've been optimizing money a lot in the past month so that we can stuff more but it sure would be nice to have even another 500 bucks to play with.

[/quote]

I'm with Feelotraveller (Reply #7 above).  I still run Windows XP.  Thus far, I have to say, that I have had relatively little incentive to upgrade (at considerable cost) to any configuration that would raise me to 64bit performance.  As several respondents have noted, Windows XP has been a nice stable platform, for a good long while. I don't regret not having gone with Windows Vista when I bought my last PC.  (Vista was  AWFUL  for a long time.)  All of that said, I will undoubtedly get a 64bit OS, when I get a new computer, but that prospect isn't on my immediate horizon either. 

One last observation: not all Gamers have the best and latest hardware and software.  I can't prove this; but I would bet that by the time you count all young people, and (poor) students, close to half of your  TARGET AUDIENCE  is still running on 32bit systems, regardless of whether they are Win XP, or Win 7.  

Your present Beta Test audience may be better equiped, on average; but you are not going to be selling many more copies of FE to those folks.  Please think "bigger" than just the present Beta Test community !

March 19, 2012 4:30:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yeah,....not gonna upgrade till next PC. I built this machine several summers ago and it still is running XP.

(In all honesty I prefer XP, period. I am IT and have been running windows 7 on the machines at current job......lets just say there's a few reasons I still hold XP in higher regards then win 7 )

March 19, 2012 6:49:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's pretty simple, WinXP users:

1. when MS is dropping most support for your OS, AND your OS is a decade old, it's time to upgrade (or dual boot for the majorly obsessive)
  2. if you can't find Win7 for less than $200 (legally), typically you're doing it wrong
March 19, 2012 7:29:55 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

According to Steam's stats:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

Less than 15% still run XP. Slightly over 50% run Windows 7. 5% run OS X.

Microsoft will drop support for XP on August 2014, about 2.5 years away. That's still a while to need to support the XP user base.

March 19, 2012 7:40:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Still running XP when I cannot run things natively on my Mac OS X machine.  Lived through Stardock migrating away from OS/2 and eComStation... would love to live through them migrating to OS X!

Until work upgrades us to Windows 7, there is not reason for me to do it at home... likely still twelve to eighteen months away.

Shadallark

March 19, 2012 8:24:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Gammit10,
It's pretty simple, WinXP users:
when MS is dropping most support for your OS, AND your OS is a decade old, it's time to upgrade (or dual boot for the majorly obsessive)
if you can't find Win7 for less than $200 (legally), typically you're doing it wrong

It's pretty simple, Non-Win XP users who want me to spend money:

1. Send me your money.

I take Paypal, checks and even hard currency. I look forward to installing Win 7 64-bit very soon. 

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000282   Page Render Time: