[Suggestion] Experience instead of Group Size

By on March 16, 2012 7:01:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Das123

Join Date 05/2003
+79

I'm thinking the game would ultimately be easier to balance if group size was consistent (perhaps set in the unit design window) but instead of researching the build size you instead researched experience levels. That way the initial units built are still relevant because they are levelling up as they go. The later units start better trained and so can opt for the experience boost.

Locked Post 9 Replies +1
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
March 16, 2012 8:39:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think we should have the group sizes, but we should be able to upgrade them for a cost. And the experience of the group should be reduced a bit to show that we have taken inn rookies.

March 16, 2012 8:39:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Now go make a lets play already

March 16, 2012 9:41:11 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

an alternative to upgrading by group size ... we could keep the different group sizes distinct and incorporate that distinction within this "more experience" idea.

For instance, the "Adventurer" techs could each add +1 level to the 'party' sized units ...

While some mid-tier techs down the Warfare Path could add +1 levels to the non-party sized units.

Something worth testing at least (although I can already say that I fear super leveled parties will become OP until the mid-late game)

March 16, 2012 9:54:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting ,

I'm thinking the game would ultimately be easier to balance if group size was consistent (perhaps set in the unit design window) but instead of researching the build size you instead researched experience levels. That way the initial units built are still relevant because they are levelling up as they go. The later units start better trained and so can opt for the experience boost.

Couldn't agree more.

March 16, 2012 10:07:14 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think it would work better indeed : it would make upgrading unnecessary, would be more "thematic" than having the same useless conscripts but with magical plate armors, and would help balance the frailty of late game units. I think higher units levels should be unlocked in the tech tree and  cost a labor extra (there already is a trait for that, but I think it is definitely not as a trait that it should work).

We could still have both through, as long as the squad size is upgradable (with proportionnal loss of XP). They could even be tied to separate tech trees. 

March 16, 2012 12:35:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think unit size is fine, but I don't think it needs to be a tech, and players should be able to choose maximum group size if they want.

HOWEVER, I would introduce a cost mechanic that would make large groups cost a little more than two units half their size as a balancer.  Inefficiency of bureacracy and all that.

Also, if larger groups take longer to complete, there will be times when you need the small militia on station immediately to stave off wandering monsters and such, as opposed to waiting for the larger unit to finish training.  Also, smaller units make for better scouts, so they will still have a purpose.

As to the four sizes of units, I think individuals (for scouts and such) and squads (light defense and perimeter outpost staffing) both may have uses.  The upper two levels I think there is lesser distinction for.  I'd suggest that the largest sized units, having the most hit points, probably should have a reduced combat strength relative to next size down, as some people are lined up behind each other.  of course, once this unit is reduced to the next lower level, said reduction would go away.

Size 1 (individuals) might provide a pathway for settlements to build new champions as well, with individuals that distinguish themselves in combat or some such having the chance to be upgraded to Champions, within limits of course.

Unfortunately, the movement scale for Elemental is too small to assign a movement penalty for larger units.  I think Elemental would be a more enjoyable game if the base move was 4 instead of 2, but that's just my humble opinion.

March 17, 2012 8:47:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like group sizes. I don't think this should change.

March 18, 2012 11:11:59 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I don't really get the group sizes. It's about numbers and you can already train more units if you want more numbers. So why do you need to 'research' a bigger group size?

Experience would be far cooler (elite troops) and make more sense at the same time.

March 18, 2012 11:49:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Hound,
I don't really get the group sizes. It's about numbers and you can already train more units if you want more numbers. So why do you need to 'research' a bigger group size?

Experience would be far cooler (elite troops) and make more sense at the same time.

Indeed! The coolness factor of experience far trumps group size. I'd rather have group size be a trade off, with all of them available from start.

Higher group size could induce an initiative penalty (it's harder to have 10 people move as one, than 1...), and an upkeep one (it incurs more logistical problems), and maybe an XP penalty (because of the higher turnover).

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000156   Page Render Time: