Unit builds roads?

By on February 26, 2012 9:10:29 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Nick-Danger

Join Date 09/2009
+28

Are units supposed to be able to build roads anywhere?  I seem to recall roads only being constructed between cities/outposts by researching trading and a second tech.

In the current 0.86 build I created a 'settler' that can't settle or build outposts but can 'build' roads anywhere.  See pic

Note the roads above and below the unit, they were created by the unit, and aren't between cities/outposts.

Locked Post 13 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
February 26, 2012 9:39:34 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Last I heard roads would be auto generated between outposts and other cities. Haven't seen it yet in my game I'm still working through.

The issue you've identified definitely seems like a bug since nothing is nearby to trigger that behavior.

February 26, 2012 11:06:53 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm really confused by that screenshot.  You have a propose action (on a trained unit no less), which shouldn't be possible as well as the build road action.  Is anyone else able to reproduce this?  Is there anything else unusual about your game?

February 26, 2012 11:25:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If photoshopped or a bug, at least there is some beef. Even if you will not allow us to build roads manually, it is totally lame to have them all around out of the sudden after clicking the turn button.

Come on, we decided to research that tech instead of going for some other cool stuff. Let roads at least spread slowly (one, two, three fields per round?!) to give us some feeling of an improving infrastructure.

February 27, 2012 12:06:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I stumped Derek?

Cool.  (you're working late on a Sunday!)

Here's the save that screenshot is from  (scroll a bit to the left for the unit, there's a second unit in the game somewhere).

I think this is the unit XML file

I tried to reproduce it in this game and in another game (that I had researched the trade tech, in case that is part of it) but couldn't.

From memory,  I wanted a 3-move pioneer, so I edited a pioneer, adding the scout trait and removing the weak trait, changed clothing, weapon, stance and background, then saved as "Settler".  Built 2 of these, and noticed it lacked the 'settle' and 'outpost' abilities, but had 'propose' and 'build (road)'.  Didn't pioneers in the first game have a build road capability?

Also, the additional actions:

Note the 'recruit' option, as if it's a champion unit

I'll look for an earlier save, just after the units were created.

February 27, 2012 12:43:01 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ahh, that makes more sense, this is from modding the xml.  Please be careful about reporting mod bugs in this forum, or at least please report that you have edited the files manually in the initial post to save me the time I spend going through the code trying to track it down.

This issue is being caused by the blank UnlockActions you have as GameModifiers.  Delete the entire gamemodifier to resolve it.  You deleted the BuildTown and BuildImprovement StrVal in them but left the rest of the modifer in place so you have "ghost" Actions popping up for your units.

February 27, 2012 12:43:10 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Here's the save from before this unit was created Save 4-6

First save including the units   Save 4-7

You can still build the units in save 4-7, and in the most recent save provided in my previous post.

I tried to recreate this 'feature' using the first save (from save 4-6), no luck (by editing both the standard pioneer and the 'settlers' I had created).

Some things to consider:

-I was thinking 'propose' was related to a new treaty feature, but I'm now thinking it's legacy code related to the old dynasty system (the 'recruit' champion option suggests this)

-I had WoM on this computer, but deleted it long ago, and stopped updating it not long after its release.  I went thru and manually deleted what the uninstall missed (months ago) but perhaps I missed some parts

-I'm guessing it's some legacy code from the old pioneers (who could make roads, or am I misremembering?)

February 27, 2012 12:44:49 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Derek Paxton,
  Ahh, that makes more sense, this is from modding the xml.  Please be careful about reporting mod bugs in this forum, or at least please report that you have edited the files manually in the initial post to save me the time I spend going through the code trying to track it down.

This issue is being caused by the blank UnlockActions you have as GameModifiers.  Delete the entire gamemodifier to resolve it.  You deleted the BuildTown and BuildImprovement StrVal in them but left the rest of the modifer in place so you have "ghost" Actions popping up for your units.

I didn't mod the xml, and have the mods option off.  This occurred from 'normal' gameplay.

When I said I edited the unit, it was in the normal ingame unit edit screen.  I didn't open an xml file and change anything.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

February 27, 2012 1:04:47 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

LoL at the possibility that somehow your old WoM spliced pieces of code with the new FE.

Otherwise there is another explanation ...

The game is alive!!

February 27, 2012 1:26:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Yes, I can confirm this happens with non-modded games.

Here's how it happens to me.

1. Take a normal game file
  2. Click on edit on the pioneer
  3. Make changes, and save it as something like "bugged"
  4. Exit the application and start it over again
  5. Create a new game entirely
  6. Create that unit, "bugged"
  7. It will have a few differences: cannot settle, can build roads, can propose

I noticed it when I tried to create my edited settlers in later games and they lost the ability to settle.  More frustrating, but at least I got a build road ability out of it!

February 27, 2012 7:57:25 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Good detective work, guys!

February 27, 2012 8:22:06 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This was already reported in a previous FE beta.  If you modify a pioneer (no modding, just in the unit editor), then use it in another game (possibly after quitting the application), it won't be able to settle but it will be able to build roads.  It's easy to reproduce this way.

February 27, 2012 9:58:44 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Nick-Danger,

Quoting Derek Paxton, reply 5  Ahh, that makes more sense, this is from modding the xml.  Please be careful about reporting mod bugs in this forum, or at least please report that you have edited the files manually in the initial post to save me the time I spend going through the code trying to track it down.

I didn't mod the xml, and have the mods option off.  This occurred from 'normal' gameplay.

When I said I edited the unit, it was in the normal ingame unit edit screen.  I didn't open an xml file and change anything.

Or am I misunderstanding you?

Ahh, sorry.  You are right, we munched that file up.  I'll fix it.

February 27, 2012 10:21:13 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks to Aiel117 and Steven for the explanation on how to reproduce this!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000125   Page Render Time: