[eUTIL] Quest Wizard 1.1 Released

Quest Creator merged with Quest Wizard

By on February 2, 2012 5:56:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Murteas

Join Date 08/2003
+44

Download Quest Wizard Wincustomize

Download Quest Wizard NexusMods

Sample Quests made with the Wizard: http://murteas.wix.com/quest-wizard#!quests/cmyf

Test Map - Single quest on a tiny map: http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/download/24 (just replace QuestWizard_AshrillCry with your own quest name).

Credits:

Team PLTM - coding, UI design, and design discussions
cardinaldirection - UI graphics & design
Frogboy - for feedback and advice on how to get off the ground
Kael - for bug reporting and feedback
Heavenfall - for bug reporting and feedback
seanw3- for bug reporting and feedback
Stardock - for an awesome game

Install Instructions:

Unzip the file and run the setup.exe.   The program should install and update previous versions.  Can be run from the startup menu.  It will try to determine your FE install directory (to prepopulate menus with choices).

Change Log:

See new Quest Wizard Website for details : http://murteas.wix.com/quest-wizard#!home/mainPage

Pinned, Locked Post 292 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
October 6, 2012 4:53:43 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some things I often do:

Have two identical quests, except each choice has different outcomes. Need editing to make this easier to do. Glad you are working on adding that.

Instead of failing after a battle is lost, you simply don't get the reward and the next objective is changed to reflect your pitiful failure.

Give items in random loot that unlock special choices during certain quests. For instance, if you have the Orpheus Scroll, the Labyrinth has shortcuts that avoid the most difficult battles. You would need to have the requires item tag available for this to work in the editor.

Just making notes...

October 6, 2012 5:32:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Woot, my first quest finished for FE (not counting events)!

http://i.imgur.com/B3Hyy.png

Edit: I forgot to say thank you. Thank you.

October 6, 2012 5:39:56 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Does anyone know how to set the "threat rating" of objective locations? For the first quest location I set it to SpawnRating 2 and that made it Medium, but the first location is marked Weak.

October 6, 2012 10:37:24 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think I am getting a bug from this:

Obj. 0 is to go get an item

Obj. 1 is to return it

The Objective is 0 for the return quest. In the editor, I see no number for the current objective on what should be objective 1. I can change the Next Objective ID though. Seems like a bug.

I also see this in the condition def, which I don't recognize: <ID>0</ID>

There is also an apparent objective between the two with no data. 

<QuestObjectiveDef />

It appears like this and has that odd space there after Def.

October 6, 2012 10:41:37 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

For the sake of ease of use, I would like to be able to reopen any objective from the objectives list and change things.

October 7, 2012 9:25:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Murteas, do you think you could add this tag to the wizard?

<PopupMessage>The man run towards the tomb, alerting the guardians of your presence!</PopupMessage>

It appears after I select a choice in-game, as a sort of "instant response" to whatever choice I selected.

<QuestChoiceDef>
        <Description>Don't pay the man, just go on without him</Description>
        <PopupMessage>The man run towards the tomb, alerting the guardians of your presence!</PopupMessage>

Many examples in CoreQuests.xml

October 7, 2012 9:35:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Btw if anyone is interested, I figured out an easy way to give choices available only to a particular faction. Create a custom resource, then give it like "Wealthy" to all sovs of a special race. Then you can require the resource for a particular choice. The resource is hidden, so the player doesn't have to know how you're doing it.

In this quest I did, greenskin raid a farm, burning it to the ground. If you play undead, you can resurrect the murdered farmers (free militia). As you pursue the Greenskin you have the choice of attempting to persuade them to join you if you are Greenskin. Just a simple example.

October 7, 2012 10:19:26 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Unless I select that a quest ends after reaching an objective, I get an additional objective entered into the list.

http://i.snag.gy/vs3Mh.jpg

It messes up the ID order of things (which totally breaks the quest). I'm not sure why it's there, but the XML is also wack:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-16"?>
<Quests xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema">
  <QuestDef InternalName="QuestWizard_Test">
    <DisplayName>Test</DisplayName>
    <Description>test</Description>
    <IsStartingPointQuest>0</IsStartingPointQuest>
    <ShortTextAccept>Yes</ShortTextAccept>
    <ShortTextDeny>no</ShortTextDeny>
    <AllowQuestRejection>1</AllowQuestRejection>
    <QuestClass>Minor</QuestClass>
    <Repeatable>0</Repeatable>
    <TriggerType>QuestLocation</TriggerType>
    <TriggerOrigin>EventLocation</TriggerOrigin>
    <SpawnRating>2</SpawnRating>
    <Image>test.png</Image>
    <PrefQuestLoc>QuestLoc_Inn1</PrefQuestLoc>
    <TriggerChance>5500</TriggerChance>
    <QuestObjectiveDef>
      <ObjectiveID>0</ObjectiveID>
      <NextObjectiveID>1</NextObjectiveID>
      <Description>Go there</Description>
      <ChoiceText>Stuff</ChoiceText>
      <ChoiceMedallion>dfaste.png</ChoiceMedallion>
      <ChoiceMedallionFrame>Medallion_Frame_17.png</ChoiceMedallionFrame>
      <Treasure>
        <GameModifier>
          <ModType>Map</ModType>
          <Attribute>CreateGoodieHut</Attribute>
          <StrVal>Testt</StrVal>
          <UnitClass>GH_BanditCamp</UnitClass>
          <Radius>3</Radius>
        </GameModifier>
      </Treasure>
      <QuestConditionDef>
        <Class>Success</Class>
        <Type>ClearGoodieHut</Type>
        <TextData>GH_BanditCamp</TextData>
        <Objective>
          <Icon>dfaste.png</Icon>
          <Text>Go there</Text>
          <IsOptional>0</IsOptional>
        </Objective>
        <Flag>RevealTarget</Flag>
      </QuestConditionDef>
    </QuestObjectiveDef>
    <QuestObjectiveDef />
    <QuestObjectiveDef>
      <ObjectiveID>2</ObjectiveID>
      <NextObjectiveID>3</NextObjectiveID>
      <Description>test2</Description>
      <ChoiceText>Test</ChoiceText>
      <ChoiceMedallion>test.png</ChoiceMedallion>
      <ChoiceMedallionFrame>Medallion_Frame_17.png</ChoiceMedallionFrame>
      <Treasure>
        <GameModifier>
          <ModType>Map</ModType>
          <Attribute>CreateGoodieHut</Attribute>
          <StrVal>SDA</StrVal>
          <UnitClass>GH_Quest_AbandonedVillage</UnitClass>
          <Radius>3</Radius>
        </GameModifier>
      </Treasure>
      <QuestConditionDef>
        <Class>Success</Class>
        <Type>ClearGoodieHut</Type>
        <TextData>GH_Quest_AbandonedVillage</TextData>
        <Objective>
          <Icon>test.png</Icon>
          <Text>test2</Text>
          <IsOptional>0</IsOptional>
        </Objective>
        <Flag>RevealTarget</Flag>
      </QuestConditionDef>
    </QuestObjectiveDef>
    <QuestObjectiveDef>
      <ObjectiveID>3</ObjectiveID>
      <Description>Quest End (Generated by Quest Wizard)</Description>
      <QuestEnd>1</QuestEnd>
    </QuestObjectiveDef>
    <QuestObjectiveDef />
  </QuestDef>
</Quests>

October 7, 2012 12:58:30 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome sauce.

October 7, 2012 11:49:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
I think I am getting a bug from this:

Obj. 0 is to go get an item

Obj. 1 is to return it

The Objective is 0 for the return quest. In the editor, I see no number for the current objective on what should be objective 1. I can change the Next Objective ID though. Seems like a bug.

I also see this in the condition def, which I don't recognize: <ID>0</ID>

There is also an apparent objective between the two with no data. 

<QuestObjectiveDef />

It appears like this and has that odd space there after Def.

I think this and the bug HeavenFall reports a few posts later is the same bug.  It must have been introduced when I was trying to add the editing of objectives earlier.  I'll see if I can figure out what is going on.  For now, the work around is simply to delete the objective that is wrong in the objective list and then go to the order page and set the objectives correctly.   I'll try to get to some of the features you have asked for soon.   Editing is high on my list and I am working on it, but that means my current build is not ready to release with some of the other fixes, so you'll have to be a little patient.  New version will be out this week (tomorrow if I can get editing working soon enough).  

October 7, 2012 11:52:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
Some things I often do:

Have two identical quests, except each choice has different outcomes. Need editing to make this easier to do. Glad you are working on adding that.

Instead of failing after a battle is lost, you simply don't get the reward and the next objective is changed to reflect your pitiful failure.

Give items in random loot that unlock special choices during certain quests. For instance, if you have the Orpheus Scroll, the Labyrinth has shortcuts that avoid the most difficult battles. You would need to have the requires item tag available for this to work in the editor.

Just making notes...

I'll have to look at what I need to do so you don't fail after a battle.  Currently, I think we set it up so you can just go back to fight the battle again until you succeed.  Can you send me a snippet of the code to do what you want it to do?  Also the same for the requires Item tag?

October 8, 2012 12:40:08 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Version 0.4a uploaded.  Fixes a bug that HF & sean identified with the objective generation (was making a blank objective in some cases).  The version number will stay the same on the screen, but it is a new version.  I had to branch the code from an earlier fix to get it out now.  I'll go back to getting editing to work.  Enjoy!  

October 8, 2012 12:43:02 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
Btw if anyone is interested, I figured out an easy way to give choices available only to a particular faction. Create a custom resource, then give it like "Wealthy" to all sovs of a special race. Then you can require the resource for a particular choice. The resource is hidden, so the player doesn't have to know how you're doing it.

In this quest I did, greenskin raid a farm, burning it to the ground. If you play undead, you can resurrect the murdered farmers (free militia). As you pursue the Greenskin you have the choice of attempting to persuade them to join you if you are Greenskin. Just a simple example.

This is totally cool.   I love this type of thing   Makes quests especially cool and different each time you play.   Can't wait to play some of these.

October 8, 2012 12:12:26 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I never thought that was possible. Nice one Hf.

October 8, 2012 1:07:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If I add several choices to the same objective that all require a resource, the ID is not updated appropriately for the choices. They all have ID 0.

October 8, 2012 1:25:06 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Heavenfall,
If I add several choices to the same objective that all require a resource, the ID is not updated appropriately for the choices. They all have ID 0.

I'll look at this.  Is this when adding objectives to an existing quest (ie. loading a quest) or starting with a new quest?

October 8, 2012 1:35:32 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Starting with a new quest.

October 8, 2012 2:17:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Niiice... I just finished a quest with a ton of options and five different possible fights (and three different endings) in less than an hour. This Wizard is awesome.

October 8, 2012 2:43:28 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

It's so great. I can literally just paste in the text from my archives. It's saving me tons of time.

October 8, 2012 3:42:25 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Edit of objectives is coming soon.  Just trying to flush out the various bugs now.    Glad to hear you guys are getting good use out of it!  

October 8, 2012 6:16:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Version 0.5 is up.   Editing is in.  I am sure there are some bugs, and you may not be able to edit everything (as something things may have been done behind the scenes).   You may find some objectives are best to just delete and re-add (like the return to quest starting location or auto generated battles).   In any case, please try it out and see if it works for you.   Also, should have fixed some of the bugs you guys found.

October 9, 2012 12:48:53 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I found a bug in 0.5 with editing choices that will cause the wizard to crash.  I've uploaded a fixed version.   You may want to redownload.

edit:  It took a while to get the download up, so try it now.

October 9, 2012 1:01:05 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is some really high quality programming. I should have time to test the new version tomorrow. I just now got my trees back and need to play more endgame scenarios now that I figured out how to make the AI build massive armies. After that I should be able to test the editing feature. Really excited about this program!

October 9, 2012 1:34:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting seanw3,
This is some really high quality programming. I should have time to test the new version tomorrow. I just now got my trees back and need to play more endgame scenarios now that I figured out how to make the AI build massive armies. After that I should be able to test the editing feature. Really excited about this program!

Make sure you download it again.   I've been having upload problems all night, so before you start working make sure you download the latest.   I've had several bad builds come down for 0.5 when I've downloaded it.  I think I have it figured out now, but it's worth downloading again just to make sure.

Thanks for the encouragement.   Let me know how the editing goes.   It is a little wonky for certain quests but for somethings it works great.  We'll just have to see how it plays out.  In general I think the editing is worth it though for those cases where it works well.  For those it doesn't you can generally just delete and re-add the objective or choice. 

October 9, 2012 11:04:17 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A "pro-tip" for us quest makers. If you want to make a quest with multiple endings, don't make an objective for each ending (unless you need it). Just fail the quest from inside the choicedef and put the rewards in that choicedef. That way, you don't have to continue the quest to another objective just to end it there instead. If you have 5-10 different endings in a quest, it becomes confusing to keep track of so many objectives. Failing the quest like this also prevents the <SuccessText> from playing out for the player. It doesn't really matter for the player if the quest counts as complete or failed.

Except Altar's Heroic faction ability which doesn't count if you do it like this.

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108432  walnut2   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000641   Page Render Time: