[eUTIL] Quest Wizard 1.1 Released

Quest Creator merged with Quest Wizard

By on February 2, 2012 5:56:40 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Murteas

Join Date 08/2003
+44

Download Quest Wizard Wincustomize

Download Quest Wizard NexusMods

Sample Quests made with the Wizard: http://murteas.wix.com/quest-wizard#!quests/cmyf

Test Map - Single quest on a tiny map: http://fallenenchantress.nexusmods.com/download/24 (just replace QuestWizard_AshrillCry with your own quest name).

Credits:

Team PLTM - coding, UI design, and design discussions
cardinaldirection - UI graphics & design
Frogboy - for feedback and advice on how to get off the ground
Kael - for bug reporting and feedback
Heavenfall - for bug reporting and feedback
seanw3- for bug reporting and feedback
Stardock - for an awesome game

Install Instructions:

Unzip the file and run the setup.exe.   The program should install and update previous versions.  Can be run from the startup menu.  It will try to determine your FE install directory (to prepopulate menus with choices).

Change Log:

See new Quest Wizard Website for details : http://murteas.wix.com/quest-wizard#!home/mainPage

Pinned, Locked Post 292 Replies +4
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
September 13, 2012 5:55:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I would guess that is anywhere. I would use 0 otherwise.

September 14, 2012 9:54:09 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Radius probably means the distance a roaming mob will travel from the lair.  I would guess -1 means either they won't roam at all or unlimited range.

September 14, 2012 10:10:58 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'm pretty sure it's the distance they spawn from the lair. So the -1 means anywhere on the map.

September 14, 2012 10:20:32 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I had a quick look (just run the event) and it is clearly "anywhere on the map" as DsRaider and seanw3 says.

September 14, 2012 11:23:16 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Awesome.  I will have an early alpha up today with the ability to make random events (simple ones like Frogboy's retribution).

September 14, 2012 3:56:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Version 0.1 is up.   Give it a try.  Still very early and missing major functionality, but you can make simple random events.  

September 14, 2012 5:58:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great start! Chcking out now.

September 14, 2012 6:01:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll have another version out soonish.   This one with ObjectiveDefs

September 17, 2012 7:04:19 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Ok, taking Frogboy's advice into consideration, I have revamped the Quest Wizard and made it easier for the novice to jump in and make a quest.   I have also completed the steps, so you should be able to walk through and make a complete quest.  I am releasing version .103 for people to try, but it needs a lot of testing.  I will up the version to .2 when I feel it is stable enough to merit it.   However, you should be able to try it out now and make some quests.   I'm sure there are bugs, but it is a good start.

Enjoy!

September 17, 2012 7:31:09 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

[quote who="Murteas" reply="35" id="3230501"]Ok, taking Frogboy's advice into consideration, I have revamped the Quest Wizard and made it easier for the novice to jump in and make a quest.   I have also completed the steps, so you should be able to walk through and make a complete quest.  I am releasing version .103 for people to try, but it needs a lot of testing.  I will up the version to .2 when I feel it is stable enough to merit it.   However, you should be able to try it out now and make some quests.   I'm sure there are bugs, but it is a good start.

Enjoy![/quote

Any chance you could put it on github? It would greatly enhance collaboration. I for one am a C#, xml guru so...

September 17, 2012 8:04:14 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

If you like I can crop and optimize the artwork found here for whatever resolution backgrounds in a jiffy?  Among other things I do UI design.

September 17, 2012 9:15:46 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,
If you like I can crop and optimize the artwork found here for whatever resolution backgrounds in a jiffy?  Among other things I do UI design.

That would be great.  Currently, I let the user resize all the windows, so resolution is a hard thing for me to say.  I probably will lock it down once I know what controls are needed.

As for Github that is a good idea. If I release the source I'll go that route.

September 17, 2012 9:22:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

The interface looks pretty good.  I wasn't sure when I needed to add values to the request item chosen.  Is there a way to choose what monsters to fight?  I am also guessing that the quest map gets made in the map editor.

September 17, 2012 11:19:51 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Murteas,

That would be great.  Currently, I let the user resize all the windows, so resolution is a hard thing for me to say.  I probably will lock it down once I know what controls are needed.

Do you foresee the number of screens growing beyond seven (Start, Basic, Reward, Triggers, Text, Objectives, Save)?

September 18, 2012 12:33:51 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting cardinaldirection,

Quoting Murteas, reply 38

Do you foresee the number of screens growing beyond seven (Start, Basic, Reward, Triggers, Text, Objectives, Save)?

Only if it is decided that we need to break up some of the current windows.  Probably will stay close to 7 though.

Quoting hntr101,
The interface looks pretty good.  I wasn't sure when I needed to add values to the request item chosen.  Is there a way to choose what monsters to fight?  I am also guessing that the quest map gets made in the map editor.

Do you mean the reward item?   I tried to highlight in light red those fields you need to fill in, the rest you can leave alone:

For the Monsters, you add that on the Objective page for fight monster type of objective.

I'll be putting up a tutorial/walkthrough for a quest in the next few days.   Hopefully this will help as people start to make quests.

September 18, 2012 1:33:19 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

New version up.  Fixed a bug with CreateGoodieHut modifiers.

September 18, 2012 12:15:15 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

This is pretty damn awesome, I'm totally impressed.

September 18, 2012 1:17:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Love the QuestWizard, it did crash for me when I was attempting to use it:

http://screencast.com/t/txK7WdSi

Radius of -1, when used with the SpawnMonster game modifier, allows thee monsters to be placed anywhere on the map.

The FE editor is an excel spreadsheet with macros written to export anything in the spreadsheet into xml.  So it looks like this: http://screencast.com/t/SdIGijIE

Your wizard is a lot more user friendly, in that the user is walked through the steps to create a quest.  I like the spreadsheet version because if I want to add a new field for a quest I just insert a new row.  Also the spreadsheet makes editing easier (especially since I can compare quests, units, spells, etc) easily as they are just separate columns.

September 18, 2012 9:34:18 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I'll check out the crash and get it fixed.   

Derek, can we expect to get our hands on the spreadsheet sometime after release?   I think that would be awesome (at least for those people that want to do the advance quest creation).  By the way, you have done a great job with the game.  Really enjoying the experience.

Glad people are using it.  Keep the bug reports rolling and I'll get to it as soon as I can.   Thanks for the feedback.  I'll keep getting releases out as soon as possible.

Maybe we should start a quest pack that the community can add to their games.  

Feedback needed:  Organization of the wizard steps.  Is the order of the questions correct?  Should more questions be added?

What feature do you want the most(next):

Add a game modifier to each quest objective (i.e. give money, units, items, health, damage, etc to units before a fight)

Add graphics to each quest choice (backgrounds, response medallions, etc)

Be able to add objectives in any order and have them go to any other objective?

Other?

September 18, 2012 10:25:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Thanks for the tips.  

September 18, 2012 10:27:59 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I do have a question/recommendation:

Is there a tracker attached to the program? Something to record the made quests and send the information back to FE so that they can merge ideas into the final release??

Or, perhaps, is there an export function so that giving the raw quest data to Stardock is made simple??

Just a thought...

September 18, 2012 11:03:17 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

GFireflyE - It is super (!!!!!) easy to put your new quests in the game.  Just save them in the My Documents/My Games/Fallen Enchantress/Mods directory and they will show up (assuming they have a high trigger chance ).    Currently, when you save the quest it defaults to this location.   If you have a quest that you think should show up in the game.  Just post it and try to get Derek or Frogboy to see it, and maybe they can add it.  Otherwise I expect we'll have a community Quest pack  up before too long.

September 19, 2012 1:10:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

A couple buttons that should read "Next" read "Done".

Ps: Draft backgrounds in PM.

September 19, 2012 2:50:42 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Big UI changes coming up.   Bug fixes, etc.   Stay tuned.

September 19, 2012 5:27:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Great work Murteas!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #108433  walnut3   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000453   Page Render Time: