Was able to win without doing anything

By on January 28, 2012 3:36:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Creslin321

Join Date 02/2008
+1

Just had a hilarious experience.  I was playing as Gilden...something, the guy that makes lots of money .  Anyway, everything was going well, pretty early into the game, I had 3 champs, hadn't encountered any of the other factions yet, and was just building up my city basically.  When all of a sudden:

"Faction such and such has been eliminated!"

<Cinematic plays>

"Conquest Victory!"

I never even saw the other faction lol .  So I'm not sure why the other factions got wiped out...but something needs to be tweaked here.  Maybe the neutral mobs were too strong/aggressive?

Other than that...was a great game!  Sad that it ended so prematurely.

Locked Post 30 Replies
Search this post
Subscription Options

Reason for Karma (Optional)
Successfully updated karma reason!
January 28, 2012 3:38:52 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Some baby bear just MAULed them out of existence. Happens now and then.

January 28, 2012 3:45:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I think you can really tweak this other than making the AI more aware of the monsters... or cheat that when this happens the AI casts "spell of pwnage" destroying the monsters and continuing to exist.

January 28, 2012 5:11:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Pretty much the same thing happened to me.

Just after meeting my first NPC faction (which had wiped out two others before I met them) when they greeted me with a "We'll be keeping our eyes on you" I got the conquest win.

Perhaps they should have been keeping at least one eye on the baby bear...

Turn 49.

Fun Ha!

January 28, 2012 6:06:33 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same thing happened to me on turn 177, one by one five factions were wiped out by "monsters and ruffians". Tarth was right next to me, and I actually saw the group that did it, it was some little darkling rider and two doofuses! That was pretty early on, but I'm still surprised the milita didn't bounce em.

January 28, 2012 7:29:49 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same thing happened to me.  By the looks of the power graph, there were some serious battles in there, but I don't think anyone else got above 50 on the power scale.  Is this an issue of under-defended AI cities, or just roving stacks of death?  They must not be clearing out their territory well.  I never leave monster dens in my territory if I have the means to clear them (even baby bears) .

January 28, 2012 9:58:05 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Same here. Monster AI too aggressive combined with the enemy AI not being protective enough of their cities and/or not taking out monsters before they're an issue.

January 28, 2012 10:08:10 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Just curious, what world difficulty did you have it set to?

January 28, 2012 10:13:07 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I like the new monster aggressiveness a lot, I don't want to see it nerfed, but AI factions really need to start defending. I'm playing on challenging right now (world and AI factions), started with 6 AI factions and 4 of them have been wiped out by monsters already. I only had a chance to discover one of them so far, and literally two turns later I saw their last army wiped out by spiders. I'm just hoping I can find the other 2 factions before they die off too.

January 28, 2012 10:38:02 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

It was all defaults.  That said, my next game I set the enemy AI to challenging, left the world difficulty the same, and the enemy factions have done much better.

January 28, 2012 11:58:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

In EWOM this would occur when an AI sovereign wouldn't found their initial capital or became pop locked and wouldn't build units or improvements. Unsure if the AI is suffering the same or similar fates with FE.

January 29, 2012 10:45:43 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Difficulty is set to Normal. Monster Frequency is Moderate. These are the defaults.

January 29, 2012 11:37:28 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

On the default settings (for everything other than the fact that I set the world size to small), I don't remember if I saw 2 or 3 other factions get wiped out before I met them, at LEAST one them was to monsters.

January 29, 2012 11:47:42 AM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

You know what. I don't think this needs changing.

You did do something, you survived a hostile world where monsters walk up to your cities and exterminate them. The enemy just happened to not be a survivor.

January 29, 2012 1:28:00 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I remember that as the monster difficulty goes down (for the human) it goes up for the AI (i.e. the monsters go after the AI players more).

January 29, 2012 1:36:35 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,
Well, I remember that as the monster difficulty goes down (for the human) it goes up for the AI (i.e. the monsters go after the AI players more).

When does monster difficulty go down? the game states difficulty goes up with every defeated enemy civilization.

January 29, 2012 2:06:48 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

I believe he means, if you adjust it downward (in the start game menu) then the monsters go after the AI more.  No way to adjust it mid-game, that I know.

January 29, 2012 2:17:47 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Oh, I always assumed it meant having more monsters on the map or stronger monsters rather then just having them attack you vs attack the AI.

January 29, 2012 2:18:12 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Well, I can sympathize with the defeated enemies.  I've tried 2 games starting out as Procipinee, and gotten killed by monsters both times.  The poor girl is supposed to be an awesome channeler, but she doesn't start with even one offensive spell.  

January 29, 2012 2:51:36 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Publius of NV,
Well, I can sympathize with the defeated enemies.  I've tried 2 games starting out as Procipinee, and gotten killed by monsters both times.  The poor girl is supposed to be an awesome channeler, but she doesn't start with even one offensive spell.  

I always said that every magic discipline needs at least a 1st level single target damage spell.  Just 1.  Please.  Earth throws a stone.  Water an ice bolt.  Air, well, air blast? 

January 29, 2012 2:57:01 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting lokiju,
I always said that every magic discipline needs at least a 1st level single target damage spell.  Just 1.  Please.  Earth throws a stone.  Water an ice bolt.  Air, well, air blast? 

Anything BUT an icebolt, please! It is so stupid that "water" attacks by physically spearing someone with frozen water. Why can't you just suck out the water out of enemy? it is so much more practical.

January 29, 2012 3:06:20 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Publius of NV,
Well, I can sympathize with the defeated enemies. I've tried 2 games starting out as Procipinee, and gotten killed by monsters both times. The poor girl is supposed to be an awesome channeler, but she doesn't start with even one offensive spell.

Having some sort basic dmg spells would probably help a lot. Either a magic arrow everyone has or basic elemental ones.

Quoting taltamir,
Anything BUT an icebolt, please! It is so stupid that "water" attacks by physically spearing someone with frozen water. Why can't you just suck out the water out of enemy? it is so much more practical.

Totally agree. I suggest a drown spell that does dmg over several turns. As for Air why not shocking touch, it makes sense.

January 29, 2012 3:15:22 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting taltamir,

Quoting lokiju, reply 19I always said that every magic discipline needs at least a 1st level single target damage spell.  Just 1.  Please.  Earth throws a stone.  Water an ice bolt.  Air, well, air blast? 

Fully agreed. We need an early damage spell!

I also agree with your point about water spells. Ice bolts are stupid and corny! Why couldn't you just use any pointed object to have the same effect? It's more of "throw something" spell. But sucking the water right out of an individual? Pure awesomeness.

January 29, 2012 4:59:04 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Right now, you can't adjust the monster difficulty, just the frequency. The options are Sparse, Normal, and Dense. And then the Difficulty tooltip doesn't mention anything in regards to preference/non-preference given to AI players. But since you recently discovered the tooltips exist, that would probably explain that.

Quoting taltamir,
Oh, I always assumed it meant having more monsters on the map or stronger monsters rather then just having them attack you vs attack the AI.

It would be good to have monster strength and monster frequency as separate options, but that may be asking too much.

January 29, 2012 8:19:41 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Lord Reliant,
It would be good to have monster strength and monster frequency as separate options, but that may be asking too much.

They are. World difficulty is monster strength and AI, monster density is what it sounds like.

January 29, 2012 8:55:50 PM from Elemental Forums Elemental Forums

Quoting Frogboy,

Everything set to defaults except I adjusted the factions to an easier level.

Fun Ha!

Stardock Forums v1.0.0.0    #101114  walnut1   Server Load Time: 00:00:00.0000547   Page Render Time: